• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo wants to expand into health, learning, and other quality of life products

Serious question: Do you think Nintendo is slowly going to transition out of gaming completely, solely focusing on this new health technology industry?

• If true, what would happen to existing game IPs? Do they sell them to others, once they stabilize their new business venture and learn that is is viable for their long-term health?
  • If false, are they going to expand their business, beyond just traditional gaming? Are they going to introduce gamification and entertainment values to the health, learning and lifestyle markets? Are they going to expand beyond video games, into other medium of entertainment (movies, TV, etc) while simultaneously diversifying their portfolio (entertainment through existing IPs in games, movies, TV and new health/learning/lifestyle category products)?

So I'm reading this thinking that they are looking into the gamification of health, fitness and quality of life right? But rather than using their current systems on the market, they want to extend this reach to as many people as possible, assumingly getting software to devices that many people already own, like tablets and smartphones. I guess if they wanted to make money from hardwae in this area they could release something like a standalone wifi-enabled Wii Fit board that that interacts with your tablet, television, smartphone and Nintendo Network ID to keep everything updated.

Seems like a smart idea considering they had such a massive success with Wii Fit, they obviously have the talent to make things fun, they already have done the R&D on the balance board, and presumably a potential vitality sensor.

So I'm thinking they'll release a Nintendo Health app for as many devices as possible, which can do everything you'd expect, like keep track of distance walked, calories burned, etc. The apps would also be able to interact with any separately sold hardware, like the balance board. As internet enabled televisions become more and more common, the Nintendo Health app could make it's way to the television, and basically just act as Wii-Fit.

Anth0ny

Just read the entire thing.

This really sounds like a fucking terrible idea, and I would not be surprised at all if it fails horribly.

We'll have to wait and see, but... man. This is Iwata's big idea? fuck.

AniHawk

so they're using an existing talent pool to branch out into another industry. it sort of reminds me when nis america decided to go into anime publishing. they already had graphic designers, people who worked on motion graphics/trailers, and editors/translators, so it was an easy business to segue into. it's over three years later and they are one of the more well-known anime publishers.

they've also not branched out into other industries in decades. the last big one was video games, and i think since then they've become complacent. nintendo shouldn't be starting up their taxi service or establishing love hotels again, but it's not like video games are going to be around forever.

AniHawk

Serious question: Do you think Nintendo is slowly going to transition out of gaming completely, solely focusing on this new health technology industry?

• If true, what would happen to existing game IPs? Do they sell them to others, once they stabilize their new business venture and learn that is is viable for their long-term health?
  • If false, are they going to expand their business, beyond just traditional gaming? Are they going to introduce gamification and entertainment values to the health, learning and lifestyle markets? Are they going to expand beyond video games, into other medium of entertainment (movies, TV, etc) while simultaneously diversifying their portfolio (entertainment through existing IPs in games, movies, TV and new health/learning/lifestyle category products)?

i think they might see the writing on the wall as far as gaming products go. this could be part of a broader attempt to make nintendo platforms out of quality of life products, but considering iwata's talks about digital being a sort of platform, i think they're preparing for a world when gaming is a service while also keeping their hardware r&d guys around and working and expanding their reach into other industries.

thefro

Smart devices makes the most sense.

Wouldn't take much to turn the Balance Board into a Nest Thermostat/Smoke Detector-type device.

That's not a magic bullet but I think it'd be a profitable business line for them.

so they're using an existing talent pool to branch out into another industry. it sort of reminds me when nis america decided to go into anime publishing. they already had graphic designers, people who worked on motion graphics/trailers, and editors/translators, so it was an easy business to segue into. it's over three years later and they are one of the more well-known anime publishers.

they've also not branched out into other industries in decades. the last big one was video games, and i think since then they've become complacent. nintendo shouldn't be starting up their taxi service or establishing love hotels again, but it's not like video games are going to be around forever.
They need to bring back the Love Hotels and make special rooms using their franchises as their theme. Since when people want to have sex, they want to do it as a green dinosaur while a baby with a red hat screams overhead it just sets the mood.

A serious answer was given in the presentation: They see gaming hardware as their main business, they wan´t to establish a QoL platform as a new pillar. In the future they hope they can leverage synergies between both platforms to help each other reaching new customers. So no., they are not leaving the gaming business. This whole thing helps them staying in the gaming business...

Edit: Iwata also mentioned that health is not the only new busines.. but the first one. They will expand into education and lifestyle as well. Health is just their first step.

Hakai

A serious answer was given in the presentation: They see gaming hardware as their main business, they wan´t to establish a QoL platform as a new pillar. In the future they hope they can leverage synergies between both platforms to help each other reaching new customers. So no., they are not leaving the gaming business. This whole thing helps them staying in the gaming business...

Edit: Iwata also mentioned that health is not the only new busines.. but the first one. They will expand into education and lifestyle as well. Health is just their first step.

That remembers me from the old days when the DS was the Third Pillar, and the Game Boy Family was not going to die.

Yeah, good old days.

That remembers me from the old time when the DS was the Third Pillar, and the Game Boy Family was not going to die.

Yeah, good old days.

Good point, but the DS and gameboy where both handheld gaming products. This whole QoL thing is a much bigger scope and seperate from gaming. They want to boost QoL with games and games with QoL products.

Edit: Like i said before: People should watch the Louvre-Direct to see a glimpse of future Nintendos motivation. ^^ The app, several cooperations with exhibitions in the past and the Wii Fit line are strong hints for their future - e3 will be interesting.

This new pillar talks reminds me of January 2004.

Wii U is dead, and Nintendo knows as much. They are probably internally planning its removal from its market place, but can't publicly admit their product on the marketplace today is a failure, so they used "explaining the Gamepad more" such that they don't seem totally incompetent to shareholders, and to the public. They did not announce any software strategies going forward either.

They also discussed that they want their user base to be attached to some sort of service, rather than to the device itself. Iwata also mentioned that the new QOL product will offer gaming entertainment.

This leads me to believe that this QOL is their next home console; although, this will not be a home console in the traditional sense. Like the Wii, they are likely positioning this to disrupt the home entertainment market, once again (unlike Wii though, this includes entertainment outside video games). Unlike the transition from the Gameboy to their 2004 heterogenous third pillar product, after this new product stabilizes and is evident as a viable long-term strategy, Nintendo will silently discontinue the Wii U.

I also believe this will not be a set top box. Which is why this is yet another disruptive product.

Just my two cents.

37l.jpg

this feels like something iwata furiously put together in ms paint after jumping into a mountain of cocaine, and he demanded that they put it in the presentation even though "non-wearable" means nothing.

one_kill

I think it's good they're considering other avenues. Nintendo doesn't have to be just a gaming company. With their resources, they can do so much more than develop gaming hardware and software.

i think they might see the writing on the wall as far as gaming products go. this could be part of a broader attempt to make nintendo platforms out of quality of life products, but considering iwata's talks about digital being a sort of platform, i think they're preparing for a world when gaming is a service while also keeping their hardware r&d guys around and working and expanding their reach into other industries.

Yeah, this is pretty much spot on. They'll keep releasing hardware as it's part of their philosophy, even if it is just something small and cheap. But the platform talk certainly indicated a transition to a digital/subscription-based future.

This new pillar talks reminds me of January 2004.

Wii U is dead, and Nintendo knows as much. They are probably internally planning its removal from its market place, but can't publicly admit their product on the marketplace today is a failure, so they used "explaining the Gamepad more" such that they don't seem totally incompetent to shareholders, and to the public. They did not announce any software strategies going forward either.

They also discussed that they want their user base to be attached to some sort of service, rather than to the device itself. Iwata also mentioned that the new QOL product will offer gaming entertainment.

This leads me to believe that this QOL is their next home console; although, this will not be a home console in the traditional sense. Like the Wii, they are likely positioning this to disrupt the home entertainment market, once again (unlike Wii though, this includes entertainment outside video games). Unlike the transition from the Gameboy to their 2004 heterogenous third pillar product, after this new product stabilizes and is evident as a viable long-term strategy, Nintendo will silent discontinue the Wii U.

I also believe this will not be a set top box. Which is why this is yet another disruptive product.

Just my two cents.

I agree with you completely. :) They will launch this new device in 2015 and it won´t be a traditional gaming console but it will still be capable to play videogames. But thats only 50%. The other 50% will be some kind of interaction for fitness/health/whatever devices entirely off-screen. I expect it to be hub for your handheld, fitmeter, which will also be capable to stream games to your tv. The harware in late 2015 should be on PS4 level with some additional stuff for 299.

Edit:
Yeah, this is pretty much spot on. They'll keep releasing hardware as it's part of their philosophy, even if it is just something small and cheap. But the platform talk certainly indicated a transition to a digital/subscription-based future.

This too. They need a console/QoL hub for their various devices but Nintendo will transition lots of its QoL stuff into a service. A service best enjoyed with original Nintendo hardware.

zeldablue

Health and sustainability is a huge, prosperous industry. This plan is smart and could work really well.

But...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Don't do it! This is the opposite of what we want!!!

L Thammy

One potential advantage of this is that it might allow Nintendo to focus on an audience for each system. The audience that bought Touch Generations and Wii Whatever isn't on the 3DS and Wii U.

It may be better if offer that sort of stuff on this QOL platform and more traditional games on more traditional platforms.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
this feels like something iwata furiously put together in ms paint after jumping into a mountain of cocaine, and he demanded that they put it in the presentation even though "non-wearable" means nothing.

No dude. If anything that slide implies a product that aggregates all that data. A Nintendo service that integrates with your iPhones dedicated motion processor, whatever "wereable" (lets call them werewolves) data you aggregate into a fun and engaging way to measure your metrics as a biological object. This is all futuristic-quantified-self stuff and its a great idea. Nintendo is the perfect company for this.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Why yes Dr. Mario, I do feel pent up today.

lenovox1

No dude. If anything that slide implies a product that aggregates all that data. A Nintendo service that integrates with your iPhones dedicated motion processor, whatever "wereable" (lets call them werewolves) data you aggregate into a fun and engaging way to measure your metrics as a biological object. This is all futuristic-quantified-self stuff and its a great idea. Nintendo is the perfect company for this.

How so?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
They have a very long track record of producing incredibly engaging software. If anyone is going to gamify something as boring as biological data its Nintendo.

ant1532

Banned
There was 4 slides before this focusing on a lot before. They're still making games and dedicated hardware. Neogaf auto train wrecks and never reads source material.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I'm sorry, but what the fuck is a non-wearable?!

Wearables are hardware. Hardware is useless without software. Not even Nike, who has been making wearables in conjuction with Apple for 7 and a half years now. -Thats even before iOS came onto the scene. Has made a product compelling enough for the mass market.

*Non-wearables are software solutions to take advantage of this data in a way nobody has previously thought of.

Huff

Banned
There was 4 slides before this focusing on a lot before. They're still making games and dedicated hardware. Neogaf auto train wrecks and never reads source material.

yeah they are going to carry on carrying on

which has been stellar so far

I can imagine it now... Right next to the fitbits and pedometers you see a giant nintendo lego and a bunch of software and nintendo branded health devices. Use your NIN to upload results to the cloud that way you can sync your iPhone, handheld, console, computer, etc. to view results anytime. Need to keep track of your diabetes? Get the new Nintendo blood reader thing which uploads results directly to your console via cloud. Once you get home and turn on your console, it reminds you take your insulin shot. I'd buy one for my brother if it did this.

Personally I cannot wait to power walk alongside Peach inside the mushroom kingdom with my friends.

Do some free weights with donkey kong. Learn Italian with Luigi.

This future stuff rocks

I can't believe there is a single person in the world who actually believes any of this is a viable solution to Nintendo's problems.

What are they DOING over there?

ant1532

Banned
yeah they are going to carry on carrying on

which has been stellar so far
What are you inferring with the sarcasm? Those 4 pages. I know it's crazy but if you "read" them they clearly are owning up to fuck ups and making changes.

TunaLover

Learning is an area that I want to see Nintendo input, imagine Fox McCloud teaching physics, or Samus teaching alien biology.

What are you inferring with the sarcasm? Those 4 pages. I know it's crazy but if you "read" them they clearly are owning up to fuck ups and making changes.

They've been acknowledging fuck ups for over a decade.Just because they finally realized what standards were in 2004 should not give us confidence.And Nintendo really does think that Wii audience is just waiting to come back to them on whatever they've got cooking.

prwxv3

They've been acknowledging fuck ups for over a decade.Just because they finally realized what standards were in 2004 should not give us confidence.And Nintendo really does think that Wii audience is just waiting to come back to them on whatever they've got cooking.

No one should ignore the iwata cycle.

Sandfox

They've been acknowledging fuck ups for over a decade.

The weird thing about the situation Nintendo is in is that even if they are fixing their biggest problems people won't believe them until they see proof which probably wouldn't be seen until their next gaming device is released. Basically people won't be changing their opinions of them any time soon, but its pretty deserved lol.

I can't believe there is a single person in the world who actually believes any of this is a viable solution to Nintendo's problems.

What are they DOING over there?

This is just Nintendo trying to expand rather than believing that this will fix their gaming woes.

This is so bat-shit insane crazy that it just might work.

...That's....all I really have to add. I mean, if anyone can make bat-shit crazy work, it's Nintendo, right?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member

Which is what I feel a lot of people should be paying attention to. This is a legendary company with emotional ties to *all of us* that is showcasing humility.

Nintendos got money. Theyve got people. Theyre not about to catch on fire.

TunaLover

I think it fits well with Nintendo interest to look into smarthphones, maybe QoL products are not hardware related? in fact realesing those apps on smartphones,would be a good way to advertise Nintendo characters to an adult demography. Ok maybe I'm reaching too much =P

Man, Nintendo possibly transitioning out of gaming is some wild shit. I wonder if they'd keep the IP and have a smaller gaming division, focusing on low budget games that can sell to the hardcore niche. That would be ideal.

Afrodium

Banned
I can imagine it now... Right next to the fitbits and pedometers you see a giant nintendo lego and a bunch of software and nintendo branded health devices. Use your NIN to upload results to the cloud that way you can sync your iPhone, handheld, console, computer, etc. to view results anytime. Need to keep track of your diabetes? Get the new Nintendo blood reader thing which uploads results directly to your console via cloud. Once you get home and turn on your console, it reminds you take your insulin shot. I'd buy one for my brother if it did this.

But Fitbits and other fitness tracking devices come with apps that let you check this info on your tablet and phone. Sure, Nintendo's solution would add your TV and 3DS to the mix, but will that be enough to differentiate them? Isn't an alert via phone more useful than getting a reminder when you turn on your console?

Top Bottom