• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Web Framework (HTML5, Javascript, CSS dev support) announced for the Wii U

Honestly, I really really really really hope there's some way to stick a game onto a file server and run them like that.

Think about it, stick it on... And emulators.

Although I doubt they'd do that, but that'd go a way towards making a closed/open hybrid system, which in itself would be cool as hell.

Zero148

well with Unity (for free), HTML5, JavaScript, and CSS support from Nintendo, it wil be interesting to see if Indies will show heavy support for the WiiU, or if they do the same as the 3rd Party companies. But I'm expecting a really bright future for the e-shop with these announcements

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Smart move if it works as they say. I want tilt to live and countless other iOS games with enhanced controls on the GamePad, with better gyros and obviously, buttons.

I knew Nintendo was keen about attracting this tier of developers, but I really didn't expect .

Say what you will about Nintendo and their online strategy, but I'm actually really impressed by what they are doing as of late regarding indies (and that is something I really couldn't have predicted saying last generation).

Yeah, it was at GDC 2011 where Reggie said Nintendo weren't interested in doing business with garage developers. Fast-forward two years, and garage devs and small indies are the ONLY third-parties Nintendo are interested in doing business with!

BD1

Banned
Very Cool.

Nintendo's new Wii U strategy. Nintendo 1st/2nd Party Games + Indie. Big publishers? Not so much.

I'd say you are wrong there. This is an industry first for a console manufacturer and a complete turnaround from Nintendo.

There's massive potential if developers decided to get involved.

it doesn't matter until we see content. it's just a wait and see thing. E3 should be good enough time maybe?

Erethian

come to think of it, were we ever actually promised a 3ds version? or was it just a web version so it would run on 3ds anyway

In a Nikkei interview in January Iwata reaffirmed their intention to bring Miiverse to 3DS, and he used Animal Crossing as an example.

Kazerei

Banned
Oh, this is cool. In high school I used to make dumb little browser games with HTML, JS, and PHP. I should brush up on JS.

jdforge

Banned
it doesn't matter until we see content. it's just a wait and see thing.

There is rich content already on iOS. It looks like converting to Wii U is a breeze. And also free.

But we'll see what developers make of this. There is massive potential and Nintendo could crack open a whole new market on home consoles.

come to think of it, were we ever actually promised a 3ds version? or was it just a web version so it would run on 3ds anyway

I'm expecting them to just rework the CSS of miiverse to include media queries (which basically change the structure of the page depending on the width of the users screen). That way they can just make a 'Miiverse' 3DS app which is just the 3DS web browser.

There is rich content already on iOS. It looks like converting to Wii U is a breeze. And also free.

But we'll see what developers make of this. There is massive potential and Nintendo could crack open a whole new market on home consoles.

i'll consider buying content on wii u if they ever figure out how to not link account with system.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Nintendo, read my lips: W-e-b-G-L

I do think there's a danger in opening the floodgates like this though. Reggie might have just been spewing shit at GDC 2011, but Iwata seemed pretty convinced that cheap iOS games were a fast-track to hell for the industry. I would be interested to know if he's rethought his position on this. I suspect someone will ask him as much at the next investor Q&A...

majik13

Very Cool.

Nintendo's new Wii U strategy. Nintendo 1st/2nd Party Games + Indie. Big publishers? Not so much.

plus the occasional third party collabs and late enhanced ports. Looks like they are trying to make some differentiators, and not just the same ol multiplat you can get anywhere.

I'm expecting them to just rework the CSS of miiverse to include media queries (which basically change the structure of the page depending on the width of the users screen). That way they can just make a 'Miiverse' 3DS app which is just the 3DS web browser.

yeah it should be quite easy to do seeing as miiverse wii u is just the wii u web browser, just got worried for a sec as the original mention was pretty vague i think

GetemMa

If they can easily port over any iOS game to CSS and Javascript to use on the Wii-U browser then I hope they do a quick port for the iOS versions of XCom Enemy Unknown and the Walking Dead.

Tenki

But the games created with this go to the eShop or they're just web-based, so you have to play it on the Wii U Browser?

yeah it should be quite easy to do seeing as miiverse wii u is just the wii u web browser, just got worried for a sec as the original mention was pretty vague i think
It's pretty comforting too that the 3DS has OS-level screen capturing for game notes. Seems like Miiverse would at least have most of the same features as the WiiU version.

Meelow

Banned
https://twitter.com/DaveVoyles/status/317024893193564160/photo/1

BGZMdfBCMAAwsFw.jpg:large

But the games created with this go to the eShop or they're just web-based, so you have to play it on the Wii U Browser?

I remember reading the browser is limited in what it can do with html5. That is to prevent people just playing.any free html 5 game.

This is pretty big. Wii u gamepad may become my favorite console controller so far.

This is actually pretty big and could really help setting the wii u apart from the ps4/720. They just don´t have a pad to run ios apps on.

Top Bottom