• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Web Framework (HTML5, Javascript, CSS dev support) announced for the Wii U

redlemon

That's really interesting. I'm learning to make games with actionscript at the moment but I might try switching to haxe since it has html5 export.

Darryl

Banned
I did read through the thread so far yet I'm not sure I understand the implications of this.

they opened up a very large web framework for app development. huge possibilities for indie app developers here, even giving new tools for them to make use of. lots of indies are working in HTML5/java for games as well. i believe games like Bastion are made in this framework, this would make the possibilities for a port including custom controls?

Christopotamus

Neo Member
I'd just like to point out that Bastion is not HTML5. The Chrome version uses Chrome's Native Client, which allows developers to compile C/C++ code and run their app inside of Chrome.

I wonder if Nintendo will have something similar to WebGL eventually.

royalan

Umm, hate to be a party pooper...but doesn't this just put Nintendo into the same situation facing the smartphone/tablet industry? i.e. you don't sell units without a thriving app ecosystem, but you don't convince developers to bring the apps without plenty of units? Just look at Blackberry 10. RIM created one of the easiest platforms to develop apps and port apps to with their Cascades framework. But as of right now the Blackberry 10 app ecosystem is still total shit with big names still refusing to bring their apps to the platform.

Just having a system in place is not enough. Not at all.

It's definitely a good move, but Nintendo's going to have to work hard to really coax this spark into a flame. I hope they don't just announce this framework and toss it to the side. Really PUSH it.

redlemon

they opened up a very large web framework for app development. huge possibilities for indie app developers here, even giving new tools for them to make use of. lots of indies are working in HTML5/java for games as well. i believe games like Bastion are made in this framework, this would make the possibilities for a port including custom controls?

The web version of bastion uses native client not html5/javascript.

I'd move away from Flash anyway. It's a dying platform as well as being generally crap.

Flash isn't dying and actionscript isn't the same thing as flash.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I'll be really disappointed if the web one is out before it's on 3DS.
The web one will probably be easier to implement since it'll most like just be viewing and sending text based messages. The 3DS version would most likely retain the drawing feature and I have no idea how much memory that requires. The Wii U can actually run out if you keep previewing your message.

EDIT: Oh apparently the web version will allow doodles so scrap that.

Almost tempted to sign up for this, Maybe at a later date when they are not being bombarded by requests. I'm just an amateur with a degree but it would be a good reason to get back into programming.

Also Last Name ex. Mario? The Mario Mario is it canon or not mystery continues.

atbigelow

I'd just like to point out that Bastion is not HTML5. The Chrome version uses Chrome's Native Client, which allows developers to compile C/C++ code and run their app inside of Chrome.

I wonder if Nintendo will have something similar to WebGL eventually.
Maybe they will just support WebGL. Don't have enough details currently to know what the JS API is like for this.

Anteo

Umm, hate to be a party pooper...but doesn't this just put Nintendo into the same situation facing the smartphone/tablet industry? i.e. you don't sell units without a thriving app ecosystem, but you don't convince developers to bring the apps without plenty of units? Just look at Blackberry 10. RIM created one of the easiest platforms to develop apps and port apps to with their Cascades framework. But as of right now the Blackberry 10 app ecosystem is still total shit with big names still refusing to bring their apps to the platform.

It's definitely a good move, but Nintendo's going to have to work hard to really coax this spark into a flame. I hope they don't just announce this framework and toss it to the side. Really PUSH it.

But what was the situation before this? Even if not everyone moves/ports their games, it is still a open gate for devs to come. Better than just no gate at all.

Thank you for your interest in becoming a Wii U Developer. The Nintendo Team will be reviewing your information and a member of the team will contact you to help you get started on the road to creating your Wii U experience.

The Nintendo Team

:)

Nintendo put up a form for any developers interested in doing Wii U development with Unity, Javascript, or HTML5.

https://gdc2013.nintendo.com/sign_up.php

They'll contact you after GDC is over.

You can choose whether to make free, commercial, or web applications (or games) for Wii U.

God, this is so ridiculously awesome, that I'm going to do it. I'll sign up and put something together for the Wii U.

You done good, Ninty. You done good.

Oddduck

You have to start somewhere. Nintendo isn't going to build an indie empire on day 1. They're taking big steps every month.

Randdalf

So I can apply to be a Wii U developer as an individual? I might do it. I wonder if they're going to accept everyone who applies or filter through them.

Oddduck

So I can apply to be a Wii U developer as an individual? I might do it. I wonder if they're going to accept everyone who applies or filter through them.

Another Castle developer got approved for Wii U. He's just one person. Same with Beril and Gunman Clive (3DS).

Nintendo said:
Thank you for your interest in becoming a Wii U Developer. The Nintendo Team will be reviewing your information and a member of the team will contact you to help you get started on the road to creating your Wii U experience.

Awwww yiss.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I'm assuming objective c ios apps cannot be converted at the push of a button. That makes no sense at all. At all...

This specific part of the OP sounds like some BS. There have to be a lot of limitations on what you can convert.

Edit:

I can't find a single source saying you can go from objective C to javascript besides that one. Seriously that sounds very fishy to me. Intel doesn't even seem to have a page anywhere.

Someone please point me to something other than that tweet.

Keslord

Banned
Sounds pretty rad. Could potentially be huge.

Yup. So many iOS titles that would be huge if they had native button support. Native button and touchscreen support without any added peripherals? That could be gigantic for games like Infinity Blade (although I've never played it). Add that to the fact that every single iOS game so far could easily be 1080p/60fps on Wii U's hardware.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
Well, looks like I'm applying for this. Not like I have real programming ability at the moment, but I work with plenty of people who do. This would be a great way to start putting our skills to the test.

v1oz

There no question that the Wii U is going to sell in the millions. They've already sold 3+ million units. What's lacking is software, and this is just the right thing to get the ball rolling.

v1oz

I'm assuming objective c ios apps cannot be converted at the push of a button. That makes no sense at all. At all...

This specific part of the OP sounds like some BS. There have to be a lot of limitations on what you can convert.

Edit:

I can't find a single source saying you can go from objective C to javascript besides that one. Seriously that sounds very fishy to me. Intel doesn't even seem to have a page anywhere.
The quote about converting iOS apps to Wii U on Twitter comes from a guy who works at an Intel affiliate. He's legit. He's not from Nintendo and its nothing to do with the web framework kit announcement.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Yup. So many iOS titles that would be huge if they had native button support. Native button and touchscreen support without any added peripherals? That could be gigantic for games like Infinity Blade (although I've never played it). Add that to the fact that every single iOS game so far could easily be 1080p/60fps on Wii U's hardware.

The only thing I'm worried about is potentially opening the floodgates to a whole bunch of crapware, but I'm confident that they have checks against that.

wilflare

Nintendo is doing good on this one :D
hope they bring it to the 3DS somehow..

wonder if Sony would implement something similar

MThanded

Is the conversion from iOS to Wii U run by Nintendo or another company?

edit: looks like Intel

edit2: http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/technical-reference-intel-html5-app-porter-tool-beta

The quote about converting iOS apps to Wii U on Twitter comes from a guy who works at an Intel affiliate. He's legit. He's not from Nintendo and its nothing to do with the web framework kit announcement.
They are doing source to source translation. According to that link. Limited API support. I can't imagine anything time sensitive will work even reasonably well. Objective C runs natively on ios. You convert that to javascript you have to run through the javascript engine on wiiu. I'll eat crow if this works even close to reasonably well for games.

Keslord

Banned
The only thing I'm worried about is potentially opening the floodgates to a whole bunch of crapware, but I'm confident that they have checks against that.

They have pretty lengthy and in depth content reviewing. Toki Tori 3 finished and got submitted a few weeks back but doesn't release until April 3rd

No, the conversion they're offering at GDC will be specifically for webkit based apps and maybe/probably apps that use predefined UI code tags (canvas, views, buttons etc)... Nothing that's coded in obj C or that employs gl draw commands I wouldn't have thought.

It would be pretty sweet if they expanded this down the line to include some of their own higher level hardware API stuff though.

I've applied for more information too, and in my comments suggested that along with exposing things like gyroscope and Wii remote coordinate data they should also include JavaScript API calls to access basic user information (current logged in user, NNID, a 2d representation of a user's Mii etc. maybe even a list of owned games)

Oddduck

They have pretty lengthy and in depth content reviewing. Toki Tori 3 finished and got submitted a few weeks back but doesn't release until April 3rd

That has nothing to do with Nintendo.

Two Tribes chose that release date because they wanted it come out after Pax East/GDC was over (for convenience purposes). Two Tribes was at PAX East.

Randdalf

They are doing source to source translation. According to that link. Limited API support. I can't imagine anything time sensitive will work even reasonably well. Objective C runs natively on ios. You convert that to javascript you have to run through the javascript interpreter on wiiu. I'll eat crow if this works even close to reasonably well for games.

Time sensitive stuff is not usually based, in well-written games at least, on the speed of code execution but the hardware clock. If you're talking about high performance code, then obviously it's not going to be ideal, but for pure functionality it looks good (in a limited subset of the API). Question is, is the output from their tool human readable? Because then it would be fairly pointless, as you couldn't optimise for the platform with the generated JavaScript.

MThanded

No, the conversion they're offering at GDC will be specifically for webkit based apps and maybe/probably apps that use predefined UI code tags (canvas, views, buttons etc)... Nothing that's coded in obj C or that employs gl draw commands I wouldn't have thought.

It would be pretty sweet if they expanded this down the line to include some of their own higher level hardware API stuff though.

I've applied for more information too, and in my comments suggested that along with exposing things like gyroscope and Wii remote coordinate data they should also include JavaScript API calls to access basic user information (current logged in user, NNID, a 2d representation of a user's Mii etc. maybe even a list of owned games)

If you find out some more info feel free to put it in here. That tweet was over simplifying a lot.
Time sensitive stuff is not usually based, in well-written games at least, on the speed of code execution but the hardware clock. If you're talking about high performance code, then obviously it's not going to be ideal, but for pure functionality it looks good. Question is, is the output from their tool human readable? Because then it would be fairly pointless, as you couldn't optimise for the platform with the generated JavaScript.
I'm talking about the user feedback loop here. Anything with users touching things moving on a touch screen is time sensitive.

redlemon

Nintendo is doing good on this one :D
hope they bring it to the 3DS somehow..

wonder if Sony would implement something similar

I doubt the 3DS is beefy enough to run html5 games well. As far as I understand they're fairly CPU heavy? I don't think interpeted languages could work on 3DS.

Top Bottom