• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Web Framework (HTML5, Javascript, CSS dev support) announced for the Wii U

ASIS

Man, if this news + miiverse multiplat support + OS speed + All launch titles making it in time... Wii U would have had a good console launch (not talking commercially).

ape2man

They are doing source to source translation. According to that link. Limited API support. I can't imagine anything time sensitive will work even reasonably well. Objective C runs natively on ios. You convert that to javascript you have to run through the javascript engine on wiiu. I'll eat crow if this works even close to reasonably well for games.

NSView -> Canvas ... superrrr fassssttttt. :D

Filled out the form just to see where it will go. I wonder how they will handle someone who worked in the game industry but isn't of traditional development background.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Seems like you can port iOS games with the push of a button using this free software:

WgcYCv9.png

Oh wow.

Now to know if dev will actually bother...

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Wow, this could actually be really cool.

I've signed up in e-mail just to see if I can take a look at this iOS porting process. When they say XCode, do they just mean native XCode, or are we throwing all middleware stuff within that process? If things like cocos2d, this could be pretty big.

So I take it that GAFers in this thread want to make games/already planning on bringing their games to Wii U eShop through this?

Maybe someone should make a specific thread about GAFers that have games they want to bring to the Wii U eShop thanks to this.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I've signed up in e-mail just to see if I can take a look at this iOS porting process. When they say XCode, do they just mean native XCode, or are we throwing all middleware stuff within that process? If things like cocos2d, this could be pretty big.
That conversion is through something intel has. Unrelated to nintendo. Someone should clarify that in the OP. It is misleading.

Here is some info on it : http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/technical-reference-intel-html5-app-porter-tool-beta

The tweet about a porting process was from an Intel employee, as they are demonstrating their IOS to JS tool at GDC. The link is posted in this thread.

To summarise what I understand of Intel's tool - It understands and converts native xcode and IOS views to HTML and CSS, and it attempts to convert objective C (supported calls are at the link) to JavaScript. For things it can't directly convert, it creates placeholder TODO procedures, so you can tackle those manually.

If done right that means Nintendo has beaten MS and Sony to the punch for a non gaming app ecosystem. MS kinda has that with W8 but they didn't implement it as well and their non app ecosystem is poor compared to iOS/android and I don't think they have an elegant and simple solution like the one Nintendo is offering. I feel they will have W8 apps on Durango though.

Sony, OTOH, is way behind. No serious efforts have been made for non gaming apps for their SEN store from them, which is rather pathetic.

Kinda ironic that the company lagging behind in their online offerings are the 1st one to do this kind of thing. Well done Nintendo, well done.

Has the session occurred yet? Just wondering how testing works. Do you just point your Wii U web browser to your development site? Or can you actually test via a dev environment on your Mac?

Taker666

I hope the people signing up here have some intention of buying a dev kit and have made games before.....

...and are not just clogging up the service for indies who actually intend on making games.

qko

Very Cool.

Nintendo's new Wii U strategy. Nintendo 1st/2nd Party Games + Indie. Big publishers? Not so much.

Focus on digital + what you just stated = Nintendo has no interest in ever charting games on NPD.

Which in some ways is a good thing.

BD1

Banned
Why this could be the smartest decision Nintendo has made.

We all know the stories of how Nintendo used to squeeze its development partners in the old days. Yamuchi ruled with an iron fist from the East and Howard Lincoln was a bludgeon from the West.
(lol)
It's a point often brought up when discussing Nintendo's current day troubles with third parties.

But now Nintendo is full force in attracting the game developers of tomorrow. Not necessarily the EAs, Activisions, etc. While big publishers street fight in the $100 mil per game AAA space, Nintendo is nurturing the indie scene in a big effort to get these games on the Wii U.

Theoretically, when Wii 3 hits the market, there will be an entire generation of successful creative game designers who made it on eShop. All who look at Nintendo as a helpful guardian instead of a licensing tyrant. When Iwata said they would need to partner with others to be successful, maybe this is what he meant.

Just a theory.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Whoa, some people here really thought you could just auto convert any iOS app?
C'mon now. There's way more to it than that.

Effect

We all know the stories of how Nintendo used to squeeze its development partners in the old days. Yamuchi ruled with an iron fist from the East and Howard Lincoln was a bludgeon from the West.
(lol)
It's a point often brought up when discussing Nintendo's current day troubles with third parties.

But now Nintendo is full force in attracting the game developers of tomorrow. Not necessarily the EAs, Activisions, etc. While big publishers street fight in the $100 mil per game AAA space, Nintendo is nurturing the indie scene in a big effort to get these games on the Wii U.

Theoretically, when Wii 3 hits the market, there will be an entire generation of successful creative game designers who made it on eShop. All who look at Nintendo as a helpful guardian instead of a licensing tyrant. When Iwata said they would need to partner with others to be successful, maybe this is what he meant.

Just a theory.

Looking more likely that is indeed what he meat and it's our fault for assuming he was talking about the bigger known publishers out there.

So hold on a second, devs can just put up their iOS games for free? Is there any reason for them NOT to do it?

Edit: Hmm, seems to not be quite so simple.

zroid

Banned
Very Cool.

Nintendo's new Wii U strategy. Nintendo 1st/2nd Party Games + Indie. Big publishers? Not so much.

Also known as the Vita strategy, lol

Although, Nintendo does have its biggest first party studios behind Wii U, unlike Sony and the Vita.

Whoa, some people here really thought you could just auto convert any iOS app?
C'mon now. There's way more to it than that.
The question is how much of my code base would I need to rewrite? And how much of the native apple stuff would it try to yank out? That initial tweet made it sound much more promising, where as the doc was much more honest about how much of apple's API will be cleaned up and how much stubbing will be left to fix. I'm genuinely curious how much middleware packages and frameworks will get converted properly.

Very Cool.

Are you aware that Monster Hunter 3U just came out to the Wii U as its exclusive console? Or is Capcom not a big publisher to you?

zroid

Banned
Are you aware that Monster Hunter 3U just came out to the Wii U as its exclusive console? Or is Capcom not a big publisher to you?

I don't think a port of an enhanced port from a notoriously handheld-centric, Japan-centric series counts for all that much, unfortunately. :(

Meelow

Banned

I think he means more western studio's like EA. Ubisoft and Activision has showed great support (so far) but EA, other western companies aren't looking at Wii U.

I THINK eastern support will be more faithful and loyal to Nintendo for Wii U than western support, but we'll see.

(lol)

Just a theory.

It makes sense. It's the only way they have now to help them support their platform. It explains why they didn't really make any big efforts designing the WiiU in a dev friendly way.
though I hope they will not focus too much on non-gaming apps. They are not Apple and they won't be.

BD1

Banned
It makes sense. It's the only way they have now to help them support their platform. It explains why they didn't really make any big efforts designing the WiiU in a dev friendly way.
though I hope they will not focus too much on non-gaming apps. They are not Apple and they won't be.

But I think the Web Framework announcement proves they did spend a lot of effort in many Dev friendly. Just not for the devs we were all expecting.

fernoca

Nice, really nice. This is way better than what I was expecting based on the "teased image" (i.e. just some web tool for Miiverse :p).

But I think the Web Framework announcement proves they did spend a lot of effort in many Dev friendly. Just not for the devs we were all expecting.

Exactly.
Like Vita, it's the strategy of "ok, we're fucked, let's move on".
But unlike Vita, nintendo has clearly IMO intentions of creating a sort of U App store with non gaming apps. They talked a lot about the wii street U something. Not that I like this idea...

wsippel

Banned
Does the wii u gamepad support multi touch input?
Nope, but you can "emulate" multitouch to a certain degree. I did some proof of concept stuff in HTML a while ago and tested it on the Wii U browser - it's limited and requires carefully designed interfaces, but it works.

Top Bottom