• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo World 2011 8-10 Jan [Update: neoGAF geekin' out to quality game music]

Nah, that was all pure demo, created by a graphics and effects company, not a game developer. Chances are the code for it wouldn't have been usable in any game. Though the forest setting definitely could have inspired Pikmin.

And only the portion from 0:22 to 1:06 was actually realtime rendered on the Gamecube hardware, the rest was pre-rendered video (though the demo company said they could have done the full thing in realtime if given more time to work on it).

plufim

GameplayWhore said:
Isn't "parental controls" just Nintendo's code phrase for "anti-homebrew updates"?
No, it's about restricting access to M and R rated games. Also, for the 3DS, I'd wager there's a chance it'll allow a timer option. Since 3D isn't great for developing eyes, it may have a forced 30 minute shutdown/sleep option every hour if the parents enable it.

Dreamwriter said:
Nah, that was all pure demo, created by a graphics and effects company, not a game developer. Chances are the code for it wouldn't have been usable in any game. Though the forest setting definitely could have inspired Pikmin.

And only the portion from 0:22 to 1:06 was actually realtime rendered on the Gamecube hardware, the rest was pre-rendered video (though the demo company said they could have done the full thing in realtime if given more time to work on it).

still that section of the demo was very graphically impressive for something that's now over a decade old. That was the last generation Nintendo focused on trying to impress the consumer with graphics. I doubt Nintendo would hire a graphics and effects company to show off the Wii or 3DS these days....

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Bah, no playable Animal Crossing.

perfectchaos007 said:
still that section of the demo was very graphically impressive for something that's now over a decade old. That was the last generation Nintendo focused on trying to impress the consumer with graphics. I doubt Nintendo would hire a graphics and effects company to show off the Wii or 3DS these days....

I thought they were somewhat reversing the tendency with the 3DS? I mean, it will be less powerful than the PSP2 but they're giving graphics some importance, it seems

sasimirobot

Am I the only one on GAF hoping Super Monkey Ballis a launch title?
SMB1 was a classic, the rest kinda went in a bad direction (missing analogue control is a big no-no), but with the 3DS and the inclusion of a analogue stick it could go back to its roots.

SMB SMB SMB!

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
sasimirobot said:
Am I the only one on GAF hoping Super Monkey Ballis a launch title?
SMB1 was a classic, the rest kinda went in a bad direction (missing analogue control is a big no-no), but with the 3DS and the inclusion of a analogue stick it could go back to its roots.

SMB SMB SMB!

It is.

I read the thread title as "Nintendo World Championships" I thought "Oh, wow. They're gonna revive the 80's event?"

Seriously though, looking forward to 3DS impressions.

D-Pad

Xater said:
Spoiler alert: It will be like all the other ones.

The characters are taller, which is enough for me to warrant yet another purchase. I love Animal Crossing like I love Pokemon. No matter how little the change, if it's new it's mine.

BowieZ

Banned
VOOK said:
Leaving on the plane tomorrow, excited :D
lucky, lucky bugger :lol

Make sure you test the two reported issues: frequently shifting your eyesight from the 3D screen to the 2D touchscreen, and abruptly moving/shaking the 3DS about.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Will do chaps, gonna prob and poke it all and switch every switch - everything!

wwm0nkey

VOOK said:
Will do chaps, gonna prob and poke it all and switch every switch - everything!
Again play everything twice, and the 2nd time just record it with the 3D off so other can see clearly :lol

Also pester any Nintendo person if its region locked or not.

perfectchaos007 said:
I'm watching old spaceworld videos from 2000 thinking, wow graphics haven't come a long way for Nintendo but innovation sure has!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCsCNYkPc6g

The funny (and sad) thing about this video is the two most exciting things (at the time) in there never actually came out - Perfect Dark 2 and the 'OOT style' Zelda. I remember watching that Zelda tech demo over and over again back then. Can't believe it's ten years ago now.

D-Pad said:
The characters are taller, which is enough for me to warrant yet another purchase. I love Animal Crossing like I love Pokemon. No matter how little the change, if it's new it's mine.
Then you are part of the problem.

I love Animal Crossing but City Folk is a piece of shit, they didn't add anything important it's like a Wild World expansion pack including an one-screen "city" and a few items. A mess.

I think the biggest innovation in this new iteration is going to be the "street-pass", which I couldn't care less. I want to play the game, not close the damn portable and let it play by itself.

They better come hard this time or someone is getting cut. I can't wait until 2014 to get my Animal Crossing fix.

beje

Banned
Sammy Samusu said:

I love Animal Crossing but City Folk is a piece of shit, they didn't add anything important it's like a Wild World expansion pack including an one-screen "city" and a few items. A mess.

I think the biggest innovation in this new iteration is going to be the "street-pass", which I couldn't care less. I want to play the game, not close the damn portable and let it play by itself.

They better come hard this time or someone is getting cut. I can't wait until 2014 to get my Animal Crossing fix.

The only way to save Animal Crossing right now would be a higher level of interactivity with the environment, more variety for the neighbours' personalities and some kind of objectives that go further than "complete the collections".

I would also change the season mechanics and do like Pokémon B/W where seasons change each month so you don't have to go to the village of a time-traveller in case you missed something.

Being able to put some kind of fences with "permissions" to open (to avoid stomping or theft on flower patches for example) would also be nice.

Mdk7

wwm0nkey said:
Again play everything twice, and the 2nd time just record it with the 3D off so other can see clearly :lol

Also pester any Nintendo person if its region locked or not.
THIS.
Even in i'm already afraid of the answer.

Have fun Vook!!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
So, this is right around the corner, as is Nintendo America's presence at CES.

My question is; when the fuck am I going to get an Australian price and date?

Additionally, do we think the US price and date will be announced at CES? What about region lock and online details? Will we learn these from the Nintendo World and CES events, or will we have to wait even longer?

Instro

EatChildren said:

My question is; when the fuck am I going to get an Australian price and date?

Additionally, do we think the US price and date will be announced at CES? What about region lock and online details? Will we learn these from the Nintendo World and CES events, or will we have to wait even longer?

Unless something has changed recently, Im pretty sure that report about Nintendo being at CES was wrong.

Busaiku

EatChildren said:
Didn't they say that their CES presentation was not happening, it was a misinterpretation.
But then there's the January 19 stuff.

Laurent

SpaceWorld? Then I'm expecting something like this…

linkinspaceworld2000.jpg

antonz

EatChildren said:
They're on the CES 2011 exhibitor directory.

CEA released a statement 5 days after announcing Nintendo would be exhibiting that they were wrong and Nintendo would only be there for private meetings with companies.

Its very likely they will be demonstrating tech to people just we will never hear of what as well as viewing hot tech items that might fit into Nintendo plans

ant1532

Banned
antonz said:
CEA released a statement 5 days after announcing Nintendo would be exhibiting that they were wrong and Nintendo would only be there for private meetings with companies.

Its very likely they will be demonstrating tech to people just nothing we will ever hear of as well as viewing hot tech items that might fit into Nintendo plans
cooooooooooooooooooooooooooool

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
antonz said:

Its very likely they will be demonstrating tech to people just nothing we will ever hear of as well as viewing hot tech items that might fit into Nintendo plans

Goddamnit.

antonz

EatChildren said:
Goddamnit.
It is a case of poor timing I guess. Nintendo settled on the 19th for their event so they cant be at CES demoing 3DS etc to the public. You can bet behind doors they are and maybe even discussing their next console

seady

I am so eager to see what Nintendo will do to their online network for the next generation of systems. Please have single User ID / User Account (that doesn't bind to a single system) for god sake. I want to have my own online identity and purchase history of my DSiware games.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
seady said:
I am so eager to see what Nintendo will do to their online network for the next generation of systems. Please have single User ID / User Account (that doesn't bind to a single system) for god sake. I want to have my own online identity and purchase history of my DSiware games.
I think it will be a single system friend code for all games. Not sure about that the account stuff though for transferring from DSiWare.

BowieZ said:
lucky, lucky bugger :lol

Make sure you test the two reported issues: frequently shifting your eyesight from the 3D screen to the 2D touchscreen, and abruptly moving/shaking the 3DS about.
To be fair, only that second one is a "reported issue", the first one - moving your eyesight from 3D to 2D screen - is just something people who hate the idea of two different screens said would suck about the system. I had no problem with it at all at E3, with two games that required looking at both screens, Steel Diver and Nintendogs.

D-Pad

Sammy Samusu said:

I swore I wrote that in my post, but maybe not.:lol Yes, I know I'm part of the problem and I agree that City Folk was the weakest entry. I even hated the "new" personalities and dialog. With all of the entries though it always seems that Nintendo never fills up the disk...

beje said:
The only way to save Animal Crossing right now would be a higher level of interactivity with the environment, more variety for the neighbours' personalities and some kind of objectives that go further than "complete the collections".

Exactly what I'm hoping for.:D

I would also change the season mechanics and do like Pokémon B/W where seasons change each month so you don't have to go to the village of a time-traveller in case you missed something.

Disagree with this, because I'd hate turning on the game in July and seeing snow and lights on the trees (and summer in my December). Being able to celebrate the seasons both in-and-out of the game is one of its charms, imo.
Being able to put some kind of fences with "permissions" to open (to avoid stomping or theft on flower patches for example) would also be nice.

In City Folk I had (well-have) a huge orchard behind my house. Every so often the entirety of my fruit would be missing, because some naughty play-mates needed some quick cash. I would be down for the lock idea.

EVH

beje said:

I believe they said that in this Animal Crossing, management would be more important, as your role in the game is to be the major of the town. Anyway, what your'e talking about would be really cool. I can't wait to see more of this game. Also would like to see something like crafting. Oranges + Blender :D so you can give them some fresh orange juice when your friends come to visit your house.

swerve

ari said:
lived here for two years and i still don't know how to read that stuff. :lol

Well, place names often aren't in regular use if you're not near them, so it's understandable. But you should be able to guess just from the kana...

EVH

Looks like the conferences will have live web casting on the Nintendo's event web.

The name of the stage event, Capcom revealed today, is "Nintendo 3DS Software Introduction Presentation: Nintendo 3DS x Resident Evil Special Stage." The stage will be held at 15:00 on Sunday. Nintendo will be holding a live web cast of the event for those who can't attend. (See this schedule on the day of the stage for a link.)

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/01/06/resident_evil_nintendo_world/

Top Bottom