• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

- Nintendont - | Yes, you CAN play GameCube games on your Wii U!

Rich!

Oh yeah, one thing I forgot to mention:

Got a PAL gamecube collection? Nintendont can force them to run in 60hz 480p. Works great!

Doczu

Wai, wait. So i can rip my Pikmin 2 game, load it on the Wii U, play it off-screen on my gamepad (using the gamepad as a controller) and my girl can play next to me using a Wii U pro controller as player 2? All that in forced (good or bad) 16:9 and upscalled to 1080p?

Holy shit i can finally put my Wii to the closet!

Rich!

Wai, wait. So i can rip my Pikmin 2 game, load it on the Wii U, play it off-screen on my gamepad (using the gamepad as a controller) and my girl can play next to me using a Wii U pro controller as player 2? All that in forced (good or bad) 16:9 and upscalled to 1080p?

Holy shit i can finally put my Wii to the closet!

Yes to all of that apart from using the gamepad for controls for reasons I explained on the last page.

all these companies just take BC out to sell you old games....and sadly it works

see gta5 and last of us.

how so?
The WiiU drive can't read GC games.

This hack does not allow you to run actual GC discs on WiiU, you know.

also, to my knowledge, there are no GC games on VC (so far) to buy

walnuts

Is there any risk of getting banned if we connect to the internet with the console? At Wii U mode and Wii mode?

My warranty is over this month, so just to know, I want to play Smash Bros U online and it would piss me off if I can't connect.

What format of HDD does the Wii U support and does it have to be a HDD with a power supply? Could I use 4 Wii U Pro controllers at once using Nintendont?

Doczu

You don't have any other controller laying around ?
Acepts classic controller, Ps3 and ps4 controllers ....

Never bought a classic controller for the Wii as i never felt the need to have one and i don't have a PS3/4. I might borrow one from my sister, but that's only a solution for short term.

EDIT: What about 360 controllers?

EDIT 2: Ok, so there is a chance this will support Gamecube controllers through the Smash Bros adapter. I'm ok with this, i've got some around.

Rich!

Is there any risk of getting banned if we connect to the internet with the console? At Wii U mode and Wii mode?

My warranty is over this month, so just to know, I want to play Smash Bros U online and it would piss me off if I can't connect.

No risk at all with hacking Wii Mode.

If a Wii U mode hack appears, using that will likely get you banned - but this hack (wii mode) wont.

chithanh

Banned
It uses a wifi signal that the Wii flat out cannot read and since the Wii U literally becomes a Wii when entering Wii Mode, it can never be read. Homebrews will never be able to access it, unless something is changed on the Wii U side when entering Wii Mode.
Some non-Wii things can be accessed from Wii mode with hacks, for example the extra PPC cores (Trinux does this, though their kernel doesn't implement SMP support for the Espresso yet). And now that its protocol is understood, the [thread=742297]Gamepad can be used with any PC[/thread].

I'm not saying Gamepad access is gonna happen, but it's not outside the realm of possibility either.

walnuts

Some non-Wii things can be accessed from Wii mode with hacks, for example the extra PPC cores (Trinux does this, though their kernel doesn't implement SMP support for the Espresso yet). And now that its protocol is understood, the [thread=742297]Gamepad can be used with any PC[/thread].

I'm not saying Gamepad access is gonna happen, but it's not outside the realm of possibility either.

I'll try to find it second hand.

BTW: is the pro controller supported to play with them? And the wired 360 controller?

so... does that mean it's feasible to play Wii games on Wii U with a Wii U controller Pro instead of having to buy a classic controller? theoretically, I mean.

I mean they have the Wii U controller pro working on vWii somehow.

Rich!

so... does that mean it's feasible to play Wii games on Wii U with a Wii U controller Pro instead of having to buy a classic controller? theoretically, I mean.

Technically, yes. I see no reason why it couldn't be implemented in USB loaders as a classic controller pro. It would work on the Wii too, not just Wii U.

sounds awesome, who do I need to ask about this? not sure they're aware or even interested lol

but somehow, a Wii game with classic controller pro support is allways expecting wiimotes to be connected.. or can you bypass/emulate that through usb loader gx?
from there emulating stupid waggle stuff like done on dolphin would be amazing.(via . ini files per games) (stomps in DKCR, NSMB, Mario galaxy with a button for waggle and R stick for wiimote IR etc)

Rich!

sounds awesome, who do I need to ask about this? not sure they're aware or even interested lol

but somehow, a Wii game with classic controller pro support is allways expecting wiimotes to be connected.. or can you bypass/emulate that through usb loader gx?
from there emulating stupid waggle stuff like done on dolphin would be amazing.(via . ini files per games) (stomps in DKCR, NSMB, Mario galaxy with a button for waggle and R stick for wiimote IR etc)

I played through DKCR on my Wii using a classic controller code via the usb loader and this:

post-3103-0-95803100-1310306405.jpg

No waggle - rolling was mapped to the R button.

I played through DKCR on my Wii using a classic controller code via the usb loader and this:

post-3103-0-95803100-1310306405.jpg

No waggle - rolling was mapped to the R button.
Perfect.

but I still thing Wii games are expecting wiimotes, not sure if that can be bypassed or emulated to work with a wii u pro controller..

Rich!

Perfect.

but I still thing Wii games are expecting wiimotes, not sure if that can be bypassed or emulated to work with a wii u pro controller..

Sure it can. The gamecube side of things was expecting real gamecube controllers and memory cards, yet that was bypassed.

If you can trick a game like DKCR to assume a Classic Controller is a sideways Wiimote, you can fool it into accepting anything. Generally speaking, within reason.

Peltz

If I didn't have a perfect GCN hooked up via Component I'd be all over this. Good work to those responsible.

Native support for decade old games on current gen hardware is nothing short of astounding.

Madao

i find that using a big SD card is much more convenient on Wii U. the Wii U side never asks to reformat it since it doesn't use it and it works just as good as HDDs or USB flash drives on vWii. plus, it is pretty fast even if it is just class 4.

btw, i made these screenshot comparisons back in june:

for the framemeister, i set up the Smart x2 option to have 1:1 pixel ratio and set the output to 1080p (it doesn't work below 1080p anyway) to have the clearest scaling possible. the Wii U doesn't have extra scaling options and just fills the frame with a 4:3 image.

Metroid Prime 2

iMawpeJonZ35E.png

Gamecube + Component cable + Framemeister

isIsLGaGUIW6o.png

Wii + Wii2HDMI adapter + Framemeister

ibn4lzO1WhHFLx.png

Wii U (console output is 1080p without any external enhancements)

i599Rib67N8sd.png

ibaYswzcbQHIvi.png

ilarCFkXN1yfv.png

iIOq7KsHQZjRr.png

ibj0SjLSjSxJ0e.png

ijDqvqDRnYJIz.png

SSBM

iraGxErzCPggu.png

iboN6AtepuMxys.png

ixCt6yMnMDx3n.png

iuGXnsI7U1Psp.png

ibgb7ikis0veBb.png

i9jrzLHBSWmfl.png

iLRNWNi5xJttI.png

iSQJlc2vcmj8H.png

iFrPlaUbWlbcq.png

from this, it looks like the Wii images are a bit greener than the others. must be an effect of the Wii2HDMI adapter.

for those that might notice, back when i made these, Nintendont displayed in 4:3 due to the HBC glitch in vWii that considers it a VC game. they later patched Nintendont to fix itself when you load it but the side effect is that 4:3 is not possible anymore.

Chucker

RE: SD cards. I'm ready to go down that route for convenience, and was wondering if the vWii is picky about them. Like does SDHC matter or not? Found a 32gb class 10 pretty cheap and wouldn't mind just throwing everything on that instead.

Madao

Ugh, I wish they hadn't patched out the 4:3 bug. I refuse to play these games in 16:9 fat mode.

the funny thing is that, since Devolution is no longer updated, it can still do 4:3 when loaded from the HBC without the external fix.

i guess Devolution still has some use even with Nintendont around.

As far as I can tell they let Wii Mode just exist as a distraction for hackers. I don't think they have any plans to patch out homebrew.

Sure it can. The gamecube side of things was expecting real gamecube controllers and memory cards, yet that was bypassed.

If you can trick a game like DKCR to assume a Classic Controller is a sideways Wiimote, you can fool it into accepting anything. Generally speaking, within reason.
yeah but the gamecube i/o emulation thing is done by Nintendont.
For DKCR, the classic controller inputs still go through the wiimote (expected by the game) , rehooked by some kind of gecko through usbloader gx. this seems different somehow..
but I'd love to be (proved) wrong though :) can you already play wii stuff with a dualshock3 for instance?

On a side note, once patched, can't this 4:3 thing be fixed by Nintendont? or is it because it's running native code via a GC legacy compatible GPU?

Veal

Are you telling me that I could rip Killer 7, mod my Wii U and play it with Wiimote controls? Is this what you're telling me?

Alric

Does anyone know how the SD card needs to be formatted? Because I formatted it as FAT (default) and got all the programs on the Wii U but when I go to load nintendont it tells me to format the SD card FAT. Do you have to format it a specific way?

ZeroX03

Banned
So am older version of the app can do proper 4:3? Can we get that instead?

Does anyone know how the SD card needs to be formatted? Because I formatted it as FAT (default) and got all the programs on the Wii U but when I go to load nintendont it tells me to format the SD card FAT. Do you have to format it a specific way?

FAT32 all the way worked for me.

Peltz

i find that using a big SD card is much more convenient on Wii U. the Wii U side never asks to reformat it since it doesn't use it and it works just as good as HDDs or USB flash drives on vWii. plus, it is pretty fast even if it is just class 4.

btw, i made these screenshot comparisons back in june:

for the framemeister, i set up the Smart x2 option to have 1:1 pixel ratio and set the output to 1080p (it doesn't work below 1080p anyway) to have the clearest scaling possible. the Wii U doesn't have extra scaling options and just fills the frame with a 4:3 image.

from this, it looks like the Wii images are a bit greener than the others. must be an effect of the Wii2HDMI adapter.

for those that might notice, back when i made these, Nintendont displayed in 4:3 due to the HBC glitch in vWii that considers it a VC game. they later patched Nintendont to fix itself when you load it but the side effect is that 4:3 is not possible anymore.

What Component to D-Terminal connection cable are you using for that output? For some reason, component looks like TOTAL shit on my Framemeister, and I think my d-terminal adapter is to blame somehow.

Fwiw, it's perfectly possible to play this without installing the Homebrew Channel, making it effectively untraceable since you aren't making any permanent modifications to your console. You'll just have to load up Smash Brothers Brawl every time you want to start the program.

I think it makes more sense to just install the homebrew channel, but people should be aware of their options.

Rich!

I just got Nintendont up and running on Wii U, and all it needs is the Homebrew Channel installed. I didn't need to use a scary cIOS installer!

yep. means it's super easy and very safe to completely remove all traces of homebrew from the console if you wish.

KDR_11k

Nintendo did talk about how they had to build special mechanisms into the Wii's drive slot to make it accept the Gamecube's mini DVDs, at the time a lot of people were saying that slot loaders couldn't deal with shapes other than full size DVDs. So I guess they simply didn't add those mechanisms to the Wii U's drive.

Tried this out last night with Twin Snakes, it looked nice but something weird happened in the ISO to SD card transfer process. It put both disc ISOs on there as one file, game loaded up fine but as soon as I got to the elevator it asked me to put in disc 1, then the message spazzed out a couple times and the whole thing crashed back to the HBC.

Also couldn't figure out how to customize the controller layout. I'll take another look after work but is there a guide or something somewhere?

Pretty cool regardless, gotta get around to ripping the rest of my library.

Can I play the games only with the gamepad alone? I mean using the buttons on the gamepad or do I need to use some sort of external controller (Wii U gamepad pro,etc?)

Dimmle

Any possibility that the official GCN controller adapter could be implemented through Nintendont or another Wii mode hack in the future?

Guys help me out, I got F-Zero GX running on Wii U, but I don't want to have to beat the game all over again. How do I transfer my save file from my Gamecube Memory card? I have the original Wii and I know their is a GC memory card manager but F-Zero GX has been the one game people have had problems copying.

Any luck there is a solution out there by now? I would love to keep my save file and play from the Wii U....

Top Bottom