• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo's Q3 Investors' Meeting slides, now in English

Terrell

For someone like me I feel the same way as him. I'm holding out so desperately for Nintendo to give me any reason at all to keep my Wii U and not move to PS4 or Steam Machine. Unified accounts is something we've been wanting for years, and Nintendo is in the shit so we're thinking "this has got to come right? To keep their fans excited" but nope. Nintendo are doing next to nothing, in this dire time, to appease their loyal fans. The early adopters.

If anything they keep kicking them in the nuts with stupid statements like "We've solved the software problem, so third parties will come". What bollocks. What we WANT and NEED to hear is "We're working with some big western companies to bring their 2014 properties to Wii U.

All we get are "We have ideas, can't tell you about them, just trust us.....oh and fuck third parties and gamers. Please Understand(tm)"

First, there was no timeline given on when unified accounts would happen. All they stated was that they would have them ready out of the gate on the next platforms. That's not a definitive "you'll get none of that until next console cycle."

Second, attracting 3rd-parties is impossible when Nintendo can't release 1st-party software that compels people to buy the platform. The statement you asked for would be completely and utterly meaningless without tackling the problem they actually addressed.

...wow that's lot.

Can we go back to how crazy it is that an investor asked, "What are you spending all our money on?" and Iwata just said it's a secret? Nintendo is losing money. Their shares are losing value. And they just smile and wink and essentially say just trust us? Who would invest in Nintendo after hearing that?

Yeah, because exposing a new potentially risky business plan before they're set to release it makes TOTAL sense. Just ask Vlambeer![/sarcasm]
He was asked a question that no CEO with even a semblance of sanity would answer in a forthcoming way. And "no comment" doesn't really go over any better.

I'm of the opinion that once sales results from Mario Kart 8 are not satisfactory, a new sku will be introduced (no Gamepad) at 199.99$ - profit.

An inventory markdown will be made or the Gamepads will be sold separately with a free game included.

I have a Journey song you should listen to.

Iwata interview with Nikkei: http://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXNASGD3007B_Q4A130C1000000/?dg=1

On using the "warchest":

No plans to acquire business that are not in the entertainment industry. But not limited to only the video game business.​

WELL HELLO THERE. Sounds like someone is reconsidering their stance on acquisitions.

jay

I can't see what else Nintendo can do to encourage third parties to consider releases for the Wii U, other than to show one of their own titles can sell well on the machine.

Maybe a future console can be designed to appeal to these devs.

From day one, their console business has been hostile to anyone but their own developers. Sure, maybe next time they will get it right, but their pursuit of more blue oceans and "innovative" input devices indicate otherwise. They would like to succeed by themselves if at all possible. This mentality is directly at odds with what core gamers want, and Nintendo knows this, which is why they will not pursue that market.

Of course, some of us still dreamed that instead of saying they will be making health products, he would've said they are deep in the design phase of a cutting edge console that is heavily weighing input from major third parties and will be a feature a partnership with Valve.

heidern

in terms of literal talk time? i'd wager that most people, especially young, definitely game more on their phones than talk on it. i just saw a fine example of this as i glanced at peoples screens while walking off the bus.

No, in terms of why they get the device. A phone is not a luxury and people have to get one. Mainstream chooses iPhone because it looks nice and is in fashion, they can touchscreen type texts and emails, take photos and upload them to Facebook and post status updates. They could also listen to music and watch tv shows/youtube or search the internet.

People are not spending hundreds on an iPhone so they can buy 99 cent shovelware apps. Once they've got the device, yeah they'll spend money on the apps, but they're just a bonus.

Could this mean the next Nintendo Platform will be a subscription-based model? Maybe one where you get the hardware for free with a contract?

"...sales mechanism that will encurage people to play more titles". What does this mean? It's so hard to figure Nintendo out sometimes.

Iwata already mentioned buying games seperately so subscription is a no go.

For example, until now it has been taken for granted that software is offered to users at the same price regardless of how many titles they purchase in a year, be it one, five or even ten titles. Based on our account system, if we can offer flexible price points to consumers who meet certain conditions, we can create a situation where these consumers can enjoy our software at cheaper price points when they purchase more. Here, we do not need to limit the condition to the number of software titles they purchase. Inviting friends to start playing a particular software title is also an example of a possible condition. If we can achieve such a sales mechanism, we can expect to increase the number of players per title, and the players will play our games with more friends. This can help maintain the high usage ratio of a platform.

MegalonJJ

Banned
Was there an update on N64 VC games or only DS VC stuff?

Also, MK8 in May. So that leaves March and April (and likely most of May) with no marquee 1st party title. I guess the MK8 May release is to help the next financial year.

Good: Unifying their console and handheld platforms to a single software platform. Thus, they can consolidate their teams and develop for one platform, allowing more diverse software and less droughts.

Bad: Immediately undercutting that idea by creating a new treadmill/nanocomputer injection platform that will require its own software. Nintendo will undoubtedly put its top teams on this, just as they put good devs on stuff like Brain Age. (Although this could be good for them if QOL gets huge, and Nintendo uses the "third pillar" as a way to finally transition out of games and into fit-u-tainment software per Iwata's wishes.)

Good: Acknowledging a lack of compelling single-player titles.

Bad: Immediately sandbagging their next big single-player title by forcing it to use the GamePad, which they haven't come up with a compelling use for. Because we all wanted to blow on our controllers more. Or buy DLC tied to cheap plastic dolls with NFC. The GamePad isn't an asset. Don't double down on it. Just release good games.

Good: Admitting that they didn't have enough software.

Bad: Miyamoto's continued denial that they had anything wrong with the software they did put out. While Miyamoto rejected ideas that their software is "boring" on the basis that ***** ***** ** ***** got good reviews, there was not even a hint of acknowledgement that they understand they've been recycling and reusing, not only brands, but gameplay as well.

Toparaman

Banned
Here's just a few quotes:

This is the first step of our efforts to transform customer relationship management from device-based to account-based, namely, consumer-based, through which we aim to establish long-term relationships with individual consumers, unaffected by the lifespans of our systems.

Of course, when we do launch new hardware in the future, rather than re-creating an installed base from scratch as we did in the past, we wish to build on our existing connections with our consumers through NNIDs and continue to maintain them.

we will also try to change the way in which dedicated video game systems as well as software are sold that people have come to take for granted.

Dedicated video game systems are sold for two hundred or three hundred dollars, on which standalone software titles are distributed for 30 or 50 dollars. This simple model received widespread support from consumers that enabled us to create today’s market. The decision to change it is the manifestation of our recognition that we cannot expect this model to work forever amid dynamic changes in people’s lifestyles.

We aim to establish a new sales mechanism that will be beneficial to both consumers and software creators by encouraging our consumers to play more titles and increasing a platform’s active use ratio without largely increasing our consumers’ expenditures.

Changed the bolds for emphasis. Now, somehow you managed to take Nintendo's open-ended, unconfidently stated goals, and derive the following conclusions:

"future platforms will be fully backwards compatible with all previous platforms and you will be able to take your library with you"

"Nintendo will become the retailer and this will pretty much be a 20% software price cut."

"The latest portable games playable on the home console expanding its library. Playing 2 player competitive, one on the DS, one on the gamepad gives added value to the console."

"They want as many people as possible to play as many of their games as possible. So yeah, they let you keep your old library. They offer cheaper games to allow you build a bigger library. They give discounts for buying more games. They give discounts for recommending a game to your friend and him buying it. "

"Nintendo aren't releasing a gimmick. They're releasing a platform."

" Nintendo are going big time. No one can compete with this. "

These are some oddly-specific, bold-ass predictions that are pure conjecture. But the kicker is that you are so confident in your Nostradamus-like abilities that you say:

" If you have money, buy Nintendo shares, they'll absolutely skyrocket in the next 3-10 years."

I think it's strange how many are taking their words about the WiiU at face value. Their actions indicate to me that they know it is a lost cause, and just aren't going to pump more money into a losing venture. The using the Gamepad in an interesting way thing is just empty talk, I think they are well aware that it won't matter.

I think so too. This E3 will definitely be interesting. Nintendo is screwed on the console side, Microsoft can only sell well in one territory and Sony won't let the doomed Vita die. Plenty of negative stories that will surely play out quick enough in a few years, if that.

lenovox1

From day one, their console business has been hostile to anyone but their own developers. Sure, maybe next time they will get it right, but their pursuit of more blue oceans and "innovative" input devices indicate otherwise. They would like to succeed by themselves if at all possible. This mentality is directly at odds with what core gamers want, and Nintendo knows this, which is why they will not pursue that market.

Of course, realistically, Nintendo was never going to pull an Xbox. They were always going to ride or die with the Wii U for the next few years. But I didn't expect a new platform announcement in any form at all, so...

I'm more along the lines of the people that say that the move to create a separate, specific QoL platform should only help the actual games system remain an actual games system and retain an actual games and entertainment focus.

My biggest issue is that they're having a hell of a time supporting two platforms as it is.

I've just realised that unless they release the game on May 1st (Thurs) in Japan, that Mario Kart will miss Golden Week and I don't understand what they are thinking with that at all.

As for E3, it will certainly be interesting. Aside from X, Bayonetta, Hyrule Warriors, and Smash what else will they have for the 2nd half of the year? Will the NFC game(s) make it, or Yarn Yoshi or SMT X FE? Will they show Zelda or Animal Crossing and when will they be out? Is Pokken real?

Also, on the 3DS front - they have Mario Golf and Smash for the rest of the year that aren't releasing in Q4 in at least one territory. Which other games are coming to the east/west and why don't we know about games coming out between April-June for the system yet?

425kid

What I get from this is Wii U is done. They will ride it out while investing minimally. If something sticks then that's great and they will throw a few low cost idea at it like this year's nfc to try. I feel like they are fully prepare that Wii U is dead. They are tagging it along because they want to try at least one more hardware cycle.

The QOL platform is them trying to address the issue that brain training and wii fit is bombing. I don't know if they will succeed but I wish them the best of luck. I think they will need it. Seems like the general consensus is those are gone. Nintendo should just let it go.

Hopefully this mean their next game system is more focus on gaming (wishful thinking on my part) as they realize in the current environment, they are unable to create a one size fit all machine that attract both casual and core audience. (So QOL for casual, game for core please) In fact the end result is they attract neither. The market reaction to Wii U is who is this for? Who ask for this?

On face value I like the strategy, but it is pretty hard to pull off and I don't know if Nintendo have it in them to pull it off.

I think Nintendo problem is that innovation is cool if your innovation have better value but they don't. Their recent innovations sucks and is worse than their competitor. This is because their recent innovations have no spark or eureka moment. They felt the DS and Wii money and wants to repeat it except this time they have no vision, no idea, no spark. They are innovating for the sake of innovating.

I've just realised that unless they release the game on May 1st (Thurs) in Japan, that Mario Kart will miss Golden Week and I don't understand what they are thinking with that at all.

As for E3, it will certainly be interesting. Aside from X, Bayonetta, Hyrule Warriors, and Smash what else will they have for the 2nd half of the year? Will the NFC game(s) make it, or Yarn Yoshi or SMT X FE? Will they show Zelda or Animal Crossing and when will they be out? Is Pokken real?

Also, on the 3DS front - they have Mario Golf and Smash for the rest of the year that aren't releasing in Q4 in at least one territory. Which other games are coming to the east/west and why don't we know about games coming out between April-June for the system yet?

E3 for Wii U will have X, Bayonetta 2, Hyrule Warriors, Smash, the NFC games, Yoshi Yarn, and likely 2 more games. Trailer for Zelda and late-year unveiling of AC. E3 will be more interesting than last year, considering that's when we knew everything heading to it (sans DK). At least here we have potential announcements to behold.

3DS is much more unclear compared to Wii U. I suspect Kirby and Mario Golf are April-June releases. The next Nintendo Direct will definitely be 3DS-focused, as Smash is really the only outstanding game (besides Fossil Fighters in EU/US). If Nintendo suspects it to help buoy the Wii U this upcoming FY, they BETTER have stuff coming out (Pokemon Z for holidays/Q1 2015?).

Huff

Banned
No, in terms of why they get the device. A phone is not a luxury and people have to get one. Mainstream chooses iPhone because it looks nice and is in fashion, they can touchscreen type texts and emails, take photos and upload them to Facebook and post status updates. They could also listen to music and watch tv shows/youtube or search the internet.

People are not spending hundreds on an iPhone so they can buy 99 cent shovelware apps. Once they've got the device, yeah they'll spend money on the apps, but they're just a bonus.

And they're not going to buy another device to do whatever half ass'd nintendo version apps that they can already get on their current device.

Iwata seems way too smart to actually believe they have a shot of reviving Wii U. I'm convinced until proven otherwise that all the wishful thinking he's displaying is just a delay tactic to keep people from questioning their awful strategy. They've basically been in delay mode for years except they never expected Wii U to be as far away from the target as it was.

Lmao. Yes, people are fools and they're just dropping large sums of money on iPhones because they're pretty. They've been bamboozled. The idea that people are buying smart devices predominantly as a phone devices is so out of touch with reality.

1) People are buying smart phones as convergent devices. Does it take calls? Sure. But it's a substitute for a myriad other devices. It's a planner. It's a map. It's a camera. It's a browser. It's a dozen devices and that's just the things pre-installed, which brings us to point two.

2) The idea that the App Store and Google Play store are a "side bonus" is farcical. When people buy a smart device they buy into an ecosystem. They can go onto the storefront and find whatever app to suit their needs.

If those network effects weren't in play, if those app stores weren't a draw, then BlackBerry wouldn't be in its current predicament. And if all people wanted was a device to call others, people would still be using much cheaper feature/dumb phones.

And even setting that aside; who cares why people have them if they have them in their billions. And they can already access "quality of life" services on them. Or on other dedicated hardware that's ahead of Nintendo's game.

That Nintendo will be able to come out of nowhere, into an industry with which their core competencies don't align, and dominate "because Mario" is patently ridiculous.

It's kind of baffling some people haven't realized (including Nintendo for the most part) how absolutely integral smartphones are in people's lives now.

Sandfox

Iwata seems way too smart to actually believe they have a shot of reviving Wii U. I'm convinced until proven otherwise that all the wishful thinking he's displaying is just a delay tactic to keep people from questioning their awful strategy. They've basically been in delay mode for years except they never expected Wii U to be as far away from the target as it was.

If Iwata believed that Nintendo could revive the Wii U they would be willing to do more to support than what they plan on doing.

When has Silicon Valley successfully managed to compete with Nintendo consoles or handhelds? When has Silicon Valley released a thriving hardware/software ecosystem? The big companies like Sony, MS and Apple could potentially compete with Nintendo, but the smaller guys probably not.

Um...

It's kind of baffling some people haven't realized (including Nintendo for the most part) how absolutely integral smartphones are in people's lives now.

I'm quite sure they know considering that Iwata and the rest of the higher-ups likely have one or more of them. One of the most bothersome thing for them (and alot of people against smartphones playing complex games) is the limited interface.

ironcreed

Banned
Lmao. Yes, people are fools and they're just dropping large sums of money on iPhones because they're pretty. They've been bamboozled. The idea that people are buying smart devices predominantly as a phone devices is so out of touch with reality.

1) People are buying smart phones as convergent devices. Does it take calls? Sure. But it's a substitute for a myriad other devices. It's a planner. It's a map. It's a camera. It's a browser. It's a dozen devices and that's just the things pre-installed, which brings us to point two.

2) The idea that the App Store and Google Play store are a "side bonus" is farcical. When people buy a smart device they buy into an ecosystem. They can go onto the storefront and find whatever app to suit their needs.

If those network effects weren't in play, if those app stores weren't a draw, then BlackBerry wouldn't be in its current predicament. And if all people wanted was a device to call others, people would still be using much cheaper feature/dumb phones.

And even setting that aside; who cares why people have them if they have them in their billions. And they can already access "quality of life" services on them. Or on other dedicated hardware that's ahead of Nintendo's game.

That Nintendo will be able to come out of nowhere, into an industry with which their core competencies don't align, and dominate "because Mario" is patently ridiculous.

Well said. It sounds like a disaster waiting to happen to me.

Biker19

Banned
You're aware that that "massive warchest" of cash is dwindling rapidly, and unless they turn things around soon they will be going to way of Sega don't you?

They don't have the luxury of making hail mary passes like this, they are one generation away from annihilation, and are acting like they have a millennium to turn things around.

And it's sad, because they made a boatload of cash throughout both Wii & DS (systems, software, & accessories), much more so than Sony made throughout their PS1 & PS2 days, & it's already being constantly depleted. They're now back to square one in the predicament that they were in before DS & Wii came about.

If they don't find another big success in which they'll make oodles of money like they had for both DS & Wii, the company is toast as a whole.

Something Virtual Reality is the next big step, but that requires the console to be a lot beefier in graphics & power, & given that Nintendo isn't into beefier tech as of lately, we can throw that idea out of the window. QOL could work, but by the time that they launch this device of theirs, it may be too late for them.

Sandfox

And it's sad, because they made a boatload of cash throughout both Wii & DS (systems, software, & accessories), & it's already being constantly depleted. They're now back to square 1 in the predicament that they were in before DS & Wii came about.

If they don't find another big success in which they'll make oodles of money like they had for both DS & Wii, the company is toast as a whole.

Something Virtual Reality is the next big step, but that requires the console to be a lot beefier in graphics & power, & given that Nintendo isn't into beefier tech as of lately, we can throw that idea out of the window. QOL could work, but by the time that they launch this device of theirs, it may be too late for them.

That really isn't true and even Sega with all their problems didn't just become "toast as a whole".

heidern

These are some oddly-specific, bold-ass predictions that are pure conjecture.

A lot of those 'predictions' are not predictions, they come from direct quotes from the policy briefing. There is a lot of uncertain future tense because it's talking about the future, but it is based on their concrete plans. You should read it again, there's lots in there.

Are some conjecture? Well perhaps, but kinda obvious too. Backwards compatibility? They said they are moving from device based to account based. What exactly do you think they are moving if not game library? They also stated account based is not just an aspiration and that they have already instituted NNIDs on Wii U and 3DS. In fact here's another quote:
Our future platform will connect with our consumers based on accounts, not devices.

Cutting out retailers equivalent to a price cut? Yes it it. They could keep the prices the same, but in that case that means higher profits so they still win. But almost certainly digital will lead to lower prices as it has with everything else(including books, music etc).

Anth0ny

How to revive the home console business:

During the period we launched the DS and Wii, many also thought we had little future in video games. Wii U is not doing well now, but one game can change everything. For example, Pokemon for the Gameboy.

Oh, you mean like an ambitious, new IP?

Jesus fuck.

Well said. It sounds like a disaster waiting to happen to me.

If Nintendo is not putting too many resources and money into those projects (and it looks like they will definitely not), I doubt it will really hurt them either way.

The mobile market is pretty much "red ocean", so it will not be easy to be able to guarantee penetration into that market.

How do you know that's not what they are planning?

Some people thought that quote was referring to 3d world. Now that iwata mentions it again, im starting to think its their NFC game, a new IP. It may involve cards.

It really is an untapped market, combining physical cards with a videogame, on a tablet.

It could be the next big thing, at least in Japan.

HOLD UP.

A few months ago I was at a party, one of those dreary ones filled with suits that like to yap about their investments, etc. I just nodded and drank my champagne as usual as this guy was going on and on about how he wanted in on Invensense because he heard there was an enormous increase in activity there and the speculation was that they working with Apple on a device that would "kick wearable's ass" and he just kept talking about the 'Internet of Things' and ish and of course I was just like "that's nice, that's very nice" and the only reason I even remember the conversation was because I knew Invensense had worked on the Wii Motion Plus. With this news, I'm starting to think their mystery client isn't Apple, but Nintendo again. I mean, this doesn't effect my plans, I'm probably not going to buy them (any of them) or anything, but I think this is neat in a "I might've stumbled onto somebody's secret" way.

If Nintendo is not putting too many resources and money into those projects (and it looks like they will definitely not), I doubt it will really hurt them either way.

The mobile market is pretty much "red ocean", so it will not be easy to be able to guarantee penetration into that market.
That's the thing. It's supposed to be a "third pillar" or whatever. It should be something that they're investing seriously in. It should be something that should have been very far along in terms of product development.

Because it's a market in which other players are investing significantly in and are much further along in their development, or have actual products on the market.

Hermii

Of course, realistically, Nintendo was never going to pull an Xbox. They were always going to ride or die with the Wii U for the next few years. But I didn't expect a new platform announcement in any form at all, so...

I'm more along the lines of the people that say that the move to create a separate, specific QoL platform should only help the actual games system remain an actual games system and retain an actual games and entertainment focus.

My biggest issue is that they're having a hell of a time supporting two platforms as it is.

Unified architectures will definitly help, but Im skeptical as hell as well.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

But he is not even stating there will be a revival of Wii U. Even more, 3ds is the only profitability driver for the short term. They just want to have for the holiday season a product easier to market (that's why the focus on the Gamepad). Combined with the new software pricing policies I think it is quite obvious that they just want to ride it trying to make some small profit out of it, while using it as a test medium for the new ideas.

It's also obvious they won't release any new hardware until the common framework for future handheld and console is ready.

Christopher

Mario 3D world is literally brimming with new ideas and concepts for the 3D mario franchise, but is dismissed because it sort of looks like the 3DS game with a similar name.

Pikmin 3 is in every respect an iterative improvement to a game series that has been in mothballs for nearly a decade.

Lego City Undercover is a new IP, and a genuinely fun and funny entry into open world games.

Name, Artstyle, Gameplay, Music ect...

Daante

Very interesting times ahead indeed.

I dont think this is the right way to go forward for Nintendo. If i where them i would abandon the hardware console business, partner with either Sony or MS, or both, and put their AAA titles on PS4 or/and XB1. Someone here on GAF in another thread listed the third party games that where confirmed for 2014 and the Wii U. It was like 3-4 titles.. , and i believe non of them will help sell a significant amount of Wii U units.

I would even go that far to question if a mature, 10/10 score new ZELDA game for the Wii U would help them sell a significant amount of Wii U units? . Does a large amount of people care anymore? Does a large amount of people want more than one console in their living room these days?

I find it strange that they will continue to try put money in marketing, and show the value the Wii U gamepad brings to the table. You really think that´s why the blue ocean that bought the Wii didn´t buy the Wii U? .

The mobile space is extremely competitive with the smart phone/tablet penetration globally. I still want to think there is room for a dedicated handheld gaming device somewhere, cause frankly playing games with only touch controls is not satisfying. It suits some genres yeah, but far from everything.

Griss

Very interesting times ahead indeed.

I dont think this is the right way to go forward for Nintendo. If i where them i would abandon the hardware console business, partner with either Sony or MS, or both, and put their AAA titles on PS4 or/and XB1. Someone here on GAF in another thread listed the third party games that where confirmed for 2014 and the Wii U. It was like 3-4 titles.. , and i believe non of them will help sell a significant amount of Wii U units.

I would even go that far to question if a mature, 10/10 score new ZELDA game for the Wii U would help them sell a significant amount of Wii U units? . Does a large amount of people care anymore? Does a large amount of people want more than one console in their living room these days?

I find it strange that they will continue to try put money in marketing, and show the value the Wii U gamepad brings to the table. You really think that´s why the blue ocean that bought the Wii didn´t buy the Wii U? .

The mobile space is extremely competitive with the smart phone/tablet penetration globally. I still want to think there is room for a dedicated handheld gaming device somewhere, cause frankly playing games with only touch controls is not satisfying. It suits some genres yeah, but far from everything.

The vast majority of the kids who grew up playing/loving Zelda are gone. There used to be this meme on gaming forums - every few days some idiot teen would pitch a 'mature Zelda' that would be wicked difficult. You'd see these like clockwork.

Well, someone finally made one, and it was called Demon's Souls. It was, you know, successful. The sequel proved to be very successful. The majority of lapsed Zelda fans are there now, and a Zelda game on a dying platform with no 3rd party games will not change anything, especially if it is forced into using gimmicks to try and 'prove' the concept of the gamepad.

Zelda has also become an annualised franchise, and Nintendo has diminished the prestige of the IP hugely through over-releasing titles, cashing in on remakes constantly and even some IP whoring like Link's Crossbow Training or Hyrule Warriors. There was a time when every Zelda was an event because it brought something new to the industry and was probably console GOTY. Those days are long, long gone. It's just another series now. A good one, but nothing revolutionary. It won't materially affect Wii U's fortunes.

Log4Girlz

Zelda has also become an annualised franchise, and Nintendo has diminished the prestige of the IP hugely through over-releasing titles, cashing in on remakes constantly and even some IP whoring like Link's Crossbow Training or Hyrule Warriors. .

I will NOT accept any bad-mouthing of Link's Crossbow Training. That shit was magical.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Iwata interview with Nikkei: http://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXNASGD3007B_Q4A130C1000000/?dg=1

On the smartphones apps:

Apps that broadcast the quality of Nintendo products. They can be games and they can use Nintendo characters. Ideally, something that is used everyday. There are no plans to release existing Nintendo games on smartphones. Doesn't think only porting games would help the company.​

Even if they are free, it doesn't mean there's no value to them. However, in the future, if there's an opportunity to make money from them, they won't necessarily ignore it.​

The second indent sounds new compared to the Investor Meeting: IIRC, they didn't say tehy could try to make money from them jf it's possible, right? Or am I wrong in this case? Still, it seems Nintendo is planning to do informative apps and even games, maybe even games they can monetize on. Hopefully, we'll see soon the mobile plans, at least part of them. It's the part of the presentation I was least interested into (especially given the rest), but I want to see

How to revive the home console business:

During the period we launched the DS and Wii, many also thought we had little future in video games. Wii U is not doing well now, but one game can change everything. For example, Pokemon for the Gameboy.​

It's true that this happened before (can I add Kinect for 360 as most recent example? Despite being short-sighted as influence, it immensely helped 360 in Holiday 2010 in US, and during 2011 as well, at least in US), buuuut...eeeh, Wii U's case seem too critic to hope that a game can change things. Maybe he's referring to the NFC game, but it's still too desperate. However, given recent statements, I feel he's aware that Wii U ship can't be corrected

On using the "warchest":

No plans to acquire business that are not in the entertainment industry. But not limited to only the video game business.​

That last part...it fits with their new focus on licensing efforts.

Nikkei: Before, you said "Nintendo profits" are those over 100 billion yen. Do you still think like that?

Iwata: I still do, but because of the Wii U shortcomings, we cannot achieve these figures in one year. If you ask me how long do you have to wait, within one year is not possible, but if in 3 years we're still not there, then something is wrong.​

Quite a long game. He's right that things can't change overnight, especially when Wii U's the duddest dud, but he should seriously hope to try to at least not being in the red anymore (and with a good margin ) in 2 years

The QOL shit:

Nintendo has always changed yadda yadda, it's time again for a new change.

About finding a successor:

Says he's 54 years-old, which isn't that old among CEOs, and still has time left. It's not something he thinks for the near future. Nintendo can't find someone suited for the job overnight. When will that happen and who will he be, he couldn't tell you right now.​

You know, the more time passes, the more I think current Pokémon Company's CEO would make for a perfect NCL CEO: Pokémon is going strong as hell even now, he knows how to license a product / make apps that help people to not forget the brand / seems aware of online trends (Pokémon X and Y has a 2013-like online component, with even web integration)

What does he think about the legalization of casinos in Japan?

No comments. It's not Nintendo's business. It's not what he would call entertainment.​

Sorry if there's anything wrong. I'm not good with Japanese. Ask a mod to edit my post, because I'm going to bed. =P

Answers bolded.

The vast majority of the kids who grew up playing/loving Zelda are gone. There used to be this meme on gaming forums - every few days some idiot teen would pitch a 'mature Zelda' that would be wicked difficult. You'd see these like clockwork.

Well, someone finally made one, and it was called Demon's Souls. It was, you know, successful. The sequel proved to be very successful. The majority of lapsed Zelda fans are there now, and a Zelda game on a dying platform with no 3rd party games will not change anything, especially if it is forced into using gimmicks to try and 'prove' the concept of the gamepad.

Zelda has also become an annualised franchise, and Nintendo has diminished the prestige of the IP hugely through over-releasing titles, cashing in on remakes constantly and even some IP whoring like Link's Crossbow Training or Hyrule Warriors. There was a time when every Zelda was an event because it brought something new to the industry and was probably console GOTY. Those days are long, long gone. It's just another series now. A good one, but nothing revolutionary. It won't materially affect Wii U's fortunes.
I don't disagree with your general point, but the idea that the majority of people who grew up playing Zelda are now Dark Souls fans is a monstrous stretch, even ludicrously so.

E-phonk

Banned

Demon's Souls (which I loved) was as success, but it sold 1.6m units WW.
Dark souls sold 2.4m WW.
Twilight Princess sold +7m, Zelda SS 3.7 (on a dying Wii).

I love the souls games, but just because they offer a completely different experience compared to Zelda, which is more puzzle/story focused and where the fighting gameplay is more "quick slash action" based compared to the tactical/strategic action of Dark Souls which has it's roots in the more traditional western stat based RPG.

Now I truly fear that NIntendo will disappear sooner rather than later, at least as a gaming company.

Blue ocean strategy again? Where? 3rd world countries? They have other problems to deal with first, rather than what console to buy.

Focusing on the gamepad even MORE? Most people don't care already, and neither do I.

Not focusing on 3rd parties at all? That's one of the main issues today, why do they refuse to acknowledge that?

It's pretty much a Nintendo box only by now, and the future seems to be same.

Conclusion: I do feel that the unified account NOT tied to the hardware, and licensing some IPs are the only positive things they said. But most of their strategies will lead to almost irrelevance within the next 2 - 4 years in the gaming industry. Sad, so sad.

E-phonk

Banned
Now I truly fear that NIntendo will disappear sooner rather than later, at least as a gaming company.

Blue ocean strategy again? Where? 3rd world countries? They have other problems to deal with first, rather than what console to buy.

Focusing on the gamepad even MORE? Most people don't care already, and neither do I.

Not focusing on 3rd parties at all? That's one of the main issues today, why do they refuse to acknowledge that?

It's pretty much a Nintendo box only by now, and the future seems to be same.

Conclusion: I do feel that the unified account NOT tied to the hardware, and licensing some IPs are the only positive things they said. But most of their strategies will lead to almost irrelevance within the next 2 - 4 years in the gaming industry. Sad, so sad.

No, what they said between the lines was this:
Short term:
- The Wii U failed. It's probably beyond rescue but since we can't release another console at this time we'll keep supporting it and try to make it at least profitable again and/or use it to experiment with some idea's we're having.
Mid term:
- For profitability we're launching a new casual health device/platform as a 3rd pillar.
Long term:
- We will probably try to find a way to unify our handheld and console platforms in the future for easier development/more support/game-or-asset sharing. This will not be for the next 2 years though.

Top Bottom