• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendos Q4 2012 Report : About WiiU

Meelow

Banned
Unless Nintendo is funding the port, I'd say there is little chance it shows up on Wii U.

Like SmokeMaxX said bringing too Wii U could help expand the brand, Rockstar put Table Tennis, Bully, and Manhunt 2 on the Wii as well as others, I think there is a chance of GTAV on Wii U.

I'M FINISHED!

Um exCUSE me Sakurai but CLEARLY the best choice for Smash Bros would be my fav niche character HOWEVER you are clearly INCOMPETENT and
This or 3D Donkey Kong. Just not another DKC from Retro. Wii already was 2D platformer overload and Wii U already on the same track (Mario, Rayman, Yoshi), so we don't need more of that, regardless of how good it is.

Not even close. The genre just came back from the dead on consoles and some people already want to shoot it in the head? Bah, I haven't had my fill, I am hungry for more platformer brains!

Terrell

It is amazing that Nintendo managed to court so many Hudson folks to ND Cube, it works since ND Cube is right where Hudson was, in the same building even IIRC. Definitely in the same area.

As someone said elsewhere, it's cheaper to just bring in folks rather than buy a studio, that might be why Nintendo didn't buy Hudson, and it was sheer luck that ND Cube was a hollow shell at that point, thank god they brought in the President of Hudson prior, that certainly helped.

I think it has more to do with Hudson getting fed snake oil by Konami and realizing it far too late. When you saw what Konami DID to them, the exodus isn't that big of a shock. Though Nintendo holding Hudson's franchises as well as the talent responsible for them would have been far more ideal. That's just another example working in Nintendo's favor in regards to M&As.

Like SmokeMaxX said bringing too Wii U could help expand the brand, Rockstar put Table Tennis, Bully, and Manhunt 2 on the Wii as well as others, I think there is a chance of GTAV on Wii U.

That was 6 years ago and right now it looks like 3rd parties care even less about the WiiU than about the Wii, unless Nintendo pays/hires them.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
This or 3D Donkey Kong. Just not another DKC from Retro. Wii already was 2D platformer overload and Wii U already on the same track (Mario, Rayman, Yoshi), so we don't need more of that, regardless of how good it is.

What? No. No. We DO need more of that, thanks. I'll take a million more 2D platformers before I take one more generic shooter, which outnumbered platformers about a zillion to one this generation.

SmokeMaxX

That was 6 years ago and right now it looks like 3rd parties care even less about the WiiU than about the Wii, unless Nintendo pays/hires them.

It's not about caring for the WiiU. People would make games for the Virtual Boy if they thought it'd help their brand/game. That's the point. There is a userbase that will only own the WiiU. Why wouldn't they want to tap into that? The game's already made. Porting isn't free, but it isn't super duper expensive. Releasing on the WiiU probably would be a good investment.

Meesh

Well, really, no one gave a shit about Wii until they realized how many were being sold, by that time third parties were a little behind the ball...As for Wiiu, my optimistic guess is although we're not seeing the same level of enthusiasm from gamers/media it'll pick up later this year and again developers/publishers will be wishing they had been on board earlier. It's been said many times but I wouldn't bet against Nintendo.

It's not about caring for the WiiU. People would make games for the Virtual Boy if they thought it'd help their brand/game. That's the point. There is a userbase that will only own the WiiU. Why wouldn't they want to tap into that? The game's already made. Porting isn't free, but it isn't super duper expensive. Releasing on the WiiU probably would be a good investment.

They didn't put too much effort into the GCN either. And most other releases right now don't receive WiiU ports even though the console was unveiled in 2011.
Although they often hide behind dumb excuses, like blaming the controller being unique and similar shit, really they just don't care about ,,helping their brand'' on a Nintendo console. They probably don't see how this seemingly incomprehensible Nintendo fanbase would ever buy their products anyway, so why waste resources in the first place. At least EA was admitting this recently (lol no business drive lol) instead of playing dumb.
How would a WiiU port help the GTA brand anyway? GTAV will outsell the WiiU userbase.

I think it has more to do with Hudson getting fed snake oil by Konami and realizing it far too late. When you saw what Konami DID to them, the exodus isn't that big of a shock. Though Nintendo holding Hudson's franchises as well as the talent responsible for them would have been far more ideal. That's just another example working in Nintendo's favor in regards to M&As.
Nintendo should make a deal with Akira Sakuma to continue Momotaru Dentetsu. Seems like it'd be up theirs (and NdCube's) alley. They already stole Joysound Karaoke out from under Konami's nose, just keep going with other creator dependant series. Maybe Red's Tengai Makyo too?

Nintendo should make a deal with Akira Sakuma to continue Momotaru Dentetsu. Seems like it'd be up theirs (and NdCube's) alley. They already stole Joysound Karaoke out from under Konami's nose, just keep going with other creator dependant series. Maybe Red's Tengai Makyo too?

Just get Bomberman, why have you not done this already Nintendo?

I still want my Bomberman 64 3D, why is this not in my hands already? :(

Just get Bomberman, why have you not done this already Nintendo?

I still want my Bomberman 64 3D, why is this not in my hands already? :(
Buying up Bomberman would be a nice move on Nintendo's part, the games are mostly on their systems already and the brand fits well within their catalog. Provided Konami was willing to sell it anyway.

I'm not sure how making a game for iOS would cause a person to buy a 3DS to play the full thing, especially since they already have it on iOS...

To be honest, I'm not sure it would work either. But I do think we'll eventually see Nintendo make a play to hook the smart phone crowd in some way.

Metallix87

No. No no no. NO!

2D platformers have come back only recently, and I don't think anyone should be hoping for them to go back to the grave.

AzaK

Perhaps it will get GTA, you never know. However, friendly piece of advice, If GTA V excites you more than a big time Japanese 3rd party game like Bayonetta 2, an epic looking RPG like X, or Nintendo's own AAA IP such as 3D Mario then you're likely to be more satisfied with one of the other HD systems.

Perhaps WiiU will get some of the big Western 3rd party stuff, but that shouldn't be the main reason someone purchases Wii U, lest they be dissapointed.
The reason I purchase Nintendo machines is for Zelda 3D Mario and Metroid. I missed out on tonnes if games this gen because of the Wii and it's lack of third party stuff. Nintendo was selling Wii U as a machine for all and talking up how it was a machine for core games. Seems something's backfired or they were misrepresenting themselves as they meant Japanese and not western.

I won't be able to afford multiple machines this gen so I guess if nothing changes with Wii U look at selling but as I said, Zelda. :)

I wouldn't mind if Retro made Donkey Kong 3D Land. 3D platformers are more of an endangered species than their 2D counterparts these days.

Metallix87

I wouldn't mind if Retro made Donkey Kong 3D Land. 3D platformers are more of an endangered species than their 2D counterparts these days.

I'd just be worried about that turning into a collect-a-thon. A big problem with 3D platformers was that it was always very easy to devolve into "collect a bunch of shit", and Donkey Kong 64 was the prime example of that.

Didn't want to bump the Heart Beat revival thread over so little, but the old website is up again, complete with the new logo:

hb_grasslogo.gif

(So purdy)

http://www.heartbeat.co.jp/

The founder is the same as the one of Genius Sonority who announced the revival a couple months ago. He seems to still be at GS as his twitter still mentions it:

https://twitter.com/ManabuYamana

I hope Heart Beat is like a second team and not a bad sign or anything, why run two companies that will work with Nintendo anyway? Unless it's for branding reasons, like certain games will be HB-labeled, others by GS?

Many of Nintendo studios are being restructured my guess is that GS will keep doing Nintendo games while HB will work on non Nintendo games and since their emphasizing on downloadable titles I think they want to hit the mobile market.

Many of Nintendo studios are being restructured my guess is that GS will keep doing Nintendo games while HB will work on non Nintendo games and since their emphasizing on downloadable titles I think they want to hit the mobile market.

But Yamana can't be allowed to be at GS and run another company to make non-Nintendo games, that's why I'm worried he might leave.

Also he as well as Nintendo and TPC are the major shareholders, that'd be awkward to leave your company with all those shares, he probably might not be able to leave with them anyway, I guess he'd just give them to Nintendo?

It is a trendl that the cash memory is whats getting biggrr with CPUs not the processing power. i do not think at the CPu is underpowered. Its just a design where the memory is more stressed. 

What? Even the RAM itself is slow as hell (12 GB/s) What does he mean?

Neo C.

I dunno, Sony has a shit-ton of development talent and resources, why was Vita's whole first YEAR nearly anemic?
There's more to the equation than just how many bodies are on hand and you know it.
I agree, organisation and structure are as important, if not even more.
That said, I believe Sony simply doesn't have the resources to support both hardware simultanly. It shouldn't surprise the people that PS4 is going to need much more manpower for game development than the PS3...

It is amazing that Nintendo managed to court so many Hudson folks to ND Cube, it works since ND Cube is right where Hudson was, in the same building even IIRC. Definitely in the same area.

As someone said elsewhere, it's cheaper to just bring in folks rather than buy a studio, that might be why Nintendo didn't buy Hudson, and it was sheer luck that ND Cube was a hollow shell at that point, thank god they brought in the President of Hudson prior, that certainly helped.
It's not cheaper, at least in short term. It's long-lasting though, which results in less waste of resources and it's therefore more productive in long term.
I don't know why someone should accuse Nintendo for being conservative, when buying studios and companies is actually a very conservative (and short sighted) business move with the main goal of getting IPs and not so much of getting the talent.

If there's one thing I would criticize Nintendo, then it's the wasted opportunity between 2007-2009. While I understand Iwata's wish to sail a tight ship and to grow sustainably, I do think they underestimated the transition from DS/Wii to 3DS/Wii U.

But Yamana can't be allowed to be at GS and run another company to make non-Nintendo games, that's why I'm worried he might leave.

Also he as well as Nintendo and TPC are the major shareholders, that'd be awkward to leave your company with all those shares, he probably might not be able to leave with them anyway, I guess he'd just give them to Nintendo?
Since Nintendo is massively restructuring as a whole I think this might be a good chance thay both sides are reevaluateing themselves, like the case of BB changing to a support studio 1up, my guess is HB is created to work on projects that couldn't be done through GS so I don't see any kind of restrictions @ GS except that only on Nintendo HW, GS worked on Pokemon, DQ and Denpamen.
My guess is that GS will be limited on working on downloadable games with full ownership of Nintendo while the president of GS will jump to HB to work on big budget titles under new ownership that may or may not include Nintendo.

Hermii

Im sorry this is a very stupid question I dont really understand how tech works , but how is 12.1 gb/s very slow RAM ? Most games are between 4 and 5 gb, so that means you can transfer almost 3 entire games in one second.

Terrell

My best guess is that he wasn't happy with the direction Genius Sonority staff wanted to take it, and instead of imposing his own vision onto it, he's leaving them in someone else's hands to chase his own. It may also be that he wanted to increase their staff beyond 16 people to make larger-scale games and TPC (which is strangely still affiliated to GS for NO particular reason) voted against it (I can't imagine Nintendo saying no in a time when they're pushing for more talent) We'll have to see how this shakes out.

Since Nintendo is massively restructuring as a whole I think this might be a good chance thay both sides are reevaluateing themselves, like the case of BB changing to a support studio 1up, my guess is HB is created to work on projects that couldn't be done through GS so I don't see any kind of restrictions @ GS except that only on Nintendo HW, GS worked on Pokemon, DQ and Denpamen.
My guess is that GS will be limited on working on downloadable games with full ownership of Nintendo while the president of GS will jump to HB to work on big budget titles under new ownership that may or may not include Nintendo.

I was supremely sad to see Brownie Brown "downgraded" like that, and I have yet to see a word-for-word translation of the notice on their website about it. But that's neither here nor there.

I was supremely sad to see Brownie Brown "downgraded" like that, and I have yet to see a word-for-word translation of the notice on their website about it. But that's neither here nor there.
As much as I loved BB art I really couldn't force my self to play their games. I was happy when Magical Starsighn was announced for the West but the battle system seemed like huge headache. Maybe after helping with Mario 3DLand and FantasyLife they found away of being more useful as support developers rather than game designers.

Terrell

As much as I loved BB art I really couldn't force my self to play their games. I was happy when Magical Starsighn was announced for the West but the battle system seemed like huge headache. Maybe after helping with Mario 3DLand and FantasyLife they found away of being more useful as support developers rather than game designers.

I didn't play Magical Starsign, but I did play a translated Magical Vacation and it was awesome. At one time they had a GameCube project in the works that was quietly shelved, and I was a sad panda when I realized it was probably never going to happen.

Mind you, I am not surprised by any of this. A lot of the development swelling that happened in the final days of Yamauchi's reign (mostly from Q-Fund... ugh) seem to have fallen apart or taken on a new structure, such as:

- Nd Cube getting almost totally flushed out and replaced with Hudson staff. (now there's a studio that could stand to be renamed, since Dentsu doesn't own any interest in that studio anymore)
- the Marigul Management teams (Noise, Ambrella, Saru-Brunei, Clever Trick and Param) being liquidated, with only Noise and Ambrella saved from the liquidation. Ambrella is the cancer responsible for every terrible Pokemon title (no lie, go check) and Noise seems to subsist on making Custom Robo.
- Genius Sonority, tangled up in its current messy ownership, thanks in part to Yamauchi's INSISTENCE that they make Pokemon games at the time of their founding
- Brownie Brown, makers of great Square titles and brilliant art, that sat dormant except when being whored back out to Square Enix like they were the caretakers for the Mana series that Square Enix was trying so hard to destroy. Thank god Iwata saw a use for them in ANY capacity, at least.

It's no wonder the guy stepped down, by the end of his time as president, the convolution of their non-internal development structure was a shambles.

I'm so happy that Iwata is trying to turn that ship around. Only thing he has left to do is end the "2nd-party" pretense with companies like Good-Feel, Arzest and skip. I mean, Arzest assisted with 3DS SYSTEM SOFTWARE, for fuck sakes. It's like a guy and girl you know being strangely awkward around each other in public... stop being awkward, we know you're in bed together at the end of the day, no need to hide it.

Neo C.

Im sorry this is a very stupid question I dont really understand how tech works , but how is 12.1 gb/s very slow RAM ? Most games are between 4 and 5 gb, so that means you can transfer almost 3 entire games in one second.

Basically, processors send data back and forth, which means the amount of transferred data can be pretty big.
I don't worry about the RAM though, with the correct balance it should work fine. Most gaffers don't know how exactly the super fast RAM of the PS4 can benefit the console either, except the notion that fast RAM means less bottlenecks. People just compare numbers.

Terrell

Sorry, to steal something out from under Konami's nose, they'd have to take their nose out of Hideo Kojima's asshole first.
Between this and the Metal Gear Rising thread, my Konami hate is burning bright as the sun again.

farnham

Banned
It's not cheaper, at least in short term. It's long-lasting though, which results in less waste of resources and it's therefore more productive in long term.
I don't know why someone should accuse Nintendo for being conservative, when buying studios and companies is actually a very conservative (and short sighted) business move with the main goal of getting IPs and not so much of getting the talent.

If there's one thing I would criticize Nintendo, then it's the wasted opportunity between 2007-2009. While I understand Iwata's wish to sail a tight ship and to grow sustainably, I do think they underestimated the transition from DS/Wii to 3DS/Wii U.

M&A is not necessarily short sighted. Companies like Square Enix, Bandai Namco or tecmo Koei would not be as relevant if they hadnt merged (or in SEs case acquired western publishers). It is a package solution for nintendos lack of development teams problem. As I said people will leave and they will have to adapt. But nintendo is a very solvent employer and you have a certain amount of guaranteed sales on Nintendo platforms as a first party dev. That can be very benefitial for a lot of small companies that struggle currently due to financial pressure. Nintendo on the other hand can gain people to help with development on new titles or big projects that are in crunch time and they can get some existing IP in their portfolio too (even if they dont release it they cant prevent such IP helping other platforms)

wrowa

I hope Heart Beat is like a second team and not a bad sign or anything, why run two companies that will work with Nintendo anyway? Unless it's for branding reasons, like certain games will be HB-labeled, others by GS?

It wouldn't surprise me for a second if he left Genius Sonority. I still remember his pretty skeptical tweets he posted at the end of 2011, where he said stuff like this: "Imagining the future that this present suggests, it looks like there will be a lot to think about over New Years." He doesn't sound like someone who's satisfied with his current position.

And why would he? In the past years, all his company was able to produce were two download games. It seems that Nintendo has lost interest in the studio a long time ago, so why wouldn't he search for new tasks?

Why is Nintendo so against unified accounts? Their backwards philosophy keeps me from buying their digital offerings, like, at all.

Why is Nintendo so against unified accounts? Their backwards philosophy keeps me from buying their digital offerings, like, at all.
I'm with you on this point a unified account is necessity especially for a heavy digital users like myself. I really don't know what bothers Nintendo.

Porcile

I guess they're worried about multiple people using a single account on multiple systems to play their games.?

They are heavily invested in the notion of consumers purchasing their own software as the defining feature of owning a Nintendo console. I suppose they see account systems as devaluing the the price/prestige of their own software, and ultimately that dictates anything which is released on their hardware - as a matter of principle. I'm not defending it, but it's their philosophy as a software driven company.

It can be seen in the fact that almost all Nintendo games hold their value throughout their lifespan, rather than the huge drop in price most other games see almost a few weeks after release. It just doesn't happen, because there's an idea of 'premium quality' which Nintendo associates with it's software. I'm sure it's not a case of technical incompetence as so many people seem to suggest.

I don't think Noise hardly exists anymore. They haven't made a Custom Robo game since 2006, and their last game in 2009 was only released in Europe before cancelling the Japanese release.

Luckily it doesn't look like Smash Bros NFC will happen this time, since the 3DS doesn't use NFC. Our wallets are spared.

The Retro game is definitely due to be shown at E3 and could come out this year without delays since they've had 3 years since DKCR and it looked like the studio was expanding.

Nintendo owning Bomberman would be nice, but hopefully this means NDCube will be allowed to experiment with new IPs. I think Iwata is aware of Mario Party franchise fatigue.

It will be interesting to see what they do with NST. They'll be good with downloadable games but I think Nintendo has bigger plans for them for the Western market.

2014 could be fairly sparse unless we see a lot of 2013 titles delayed. Most of the biggest studios are releasing games this year, and may take a while to reload if they also released games for 3DS. We should get Kirby, Smash Bros, Bayonetta 2 and hopefully something out of Camelot. If Monster Games is really making a Diddy Kong Racer that should show up soon. And if the Tokyo Studio has expanded we might be able to see a second title from them in 2014.

They don't need to say anything. Their actions are proof enough.

That doesn't mean they're against unified accounts. They could be incompetent, or they could be hesitant to take larger steps than they're currently doing. Or they could have had an overload of work related to other aspects of the system requiring a postponement of work on unifying accounts (they have, after all, hinted that they're not opposed to having accounts more easily portable between systems in the future).

What they do and their motives for doing it are two different things.

SmokeMaxX

I don't think Noise hardly exists anymore. They haven't made a Custom Robo game since 2006, and their last game in 2009 was only released in Europe before cancelling the Japanese release.

Luckily it doesn't look like Smash Bros NFC will happen this time, since the 3DS doesn't use NFC. Our wallets are spared.

The Retro game is definitely due to be shown at E3 and could come out this year without delays since they've had 3 years since DKCR and it looked like the studio was expanding.

Nintendo owning Bomberman would be nice, but hopefully this means NDCube will be allowed to experiment with new IPs. I think Iwata is aware of Mario Party franchise fatigue.

It will be interesting to see what they do with NST. They'll be good with downloadable games but I think Nintendo has bigger plans for them for the Western market.

2014 could be fairly sparse unless we see a lot of 2013 titles delayed. Most of the biggest studios are releasing games this year, and may take a while to reload if they also released games for 3DS. We should get Kirby, Smash Bros, Bayonetta 2 and hopefully something out of Camelot. If Monster Games is really making a Diddy Kong Racer that should show up soon. And if the Tokyo Studio has expanded we might be able to see a second title from them in 2014.
Nintendo can make money off of this? NFC dongle for 3DS confirmed.

Nintendo can make money off of this? NFC dongle for 3DS confirmed.

People keep saying this as if Nintendo is known for this type of nonsense. Time and time again we've heard they won't release incomplete games. Not to mention, Sakurai wouldn't have such nonsense in his games and Nintendo lets him do what he wants. The same with Gamefreak.

No NFC hasn't kept Kid Icarus Uprising from circulating cards lile crazy. You can bet your ass that Smash 4 will have similar physical collectibles on the side, they'll just incorperate both QR and NFC.

I'd adore SSB trading cards! <3

Imagine opening a booster pack and you get a Mewtwo to unlock in the game, like how the original Animal Crossing cards can get you a rare Mario Bros (and SMB?) cards to get them in the game and nowhere else. I have my Mario Bros card somewhere, saw it recently. :)

udivision

Imagine opening a booster pack and you get a Mewtwo to unlock in the game, like how the original Animal Crossing cards can get you a rare Mario Bros (and SMB?) cards to get them in the game and nowhere else. I have my Mario Bros card somewhere, saw it recently. :)

Unless you mean unlock a Card or Trophy or Sticker in game, this is the worst possible way to do unlocks.

Unless you mean unlock a Card or Trophy or Sticker in game, this is the worst possible way to do unlocks.

Yeah trophies is the best way, not good to do big unlockables in random cards, some folks will never get them... :p Like that Mario & Yoshi and Samus without Helmet trophy in Melee, never got those without an AR.

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.

I'd rather have high-quality Nintendo figurines that unlock extra costumes/trophies/VC title or something like that - not new characters. I would buy them because I want the figurines, and then I would get something extra. That's how it should be done.

Top Bottom