• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo's stance on Wii storage: only "geeks and otaku" want that addressed

Visualante said:
NoE and NoA don't want Animal Crossing to come out as an MMO in the West. They don't want to deal with the back end that runs it all.
Well if it plays like Animal Crossing DS with some improved features and some more possibilities then I would be happy. I don't need a server-side town where to go at and meet whole Europe.

Vinci said:
They released 80% of their franchise big hitters in the first two years of the Wii's life because they hate you. Obviously. No, they're just being conservative.

You obviously don't love them very much if storage, as important as that can be, is what's keeping you from playing games as good as some they've been releasing.

Well, you obviously just read over selective parts of what I stated. The storage issue is just another issue adding to the pile of everything else. Software and hardware from Nintendo are two completely different matters. I love their games, I have since I was a child. However their many questionable decisions (from my standpoint) with regard to the hardware side of the business are just too much for me for me to justify a purchase of the Wii at its current price.

Vinci

Danish
Visualante said:
NoE and NoA don't want Animal Crossing to come out as an MMO in the West. They don't want to deal with the back end that runs it all. That's if it exists as an MMO.

I seriously doubt that Animal Crossing will be a MMO. It might feature some sort of online functionality allowing you to do something or other with people on your Friends List, but a MMO really doesn't fit Nintendo's development mentality IMO.

LegendofJoe said:
Well, you obviously just read over selective parts of what I stated. The storage issue is just another issue adding to the pile of everything else. Software and hardware from Nintendo are two completely different matters. I love their games, I have since I was a child. However their many questionable decisions (from my standpoint) with regard to the hardware side of the business are just too much for me for me to justify a purchase of the Wii at its current price.

No, I just find the mentality bizarre: You're refusing yourself the fun of playing games made by a company that routinely makes games that you love, including some of the best games of this generation, due to disagreeing with them about how they're handling their hardware. I'm a gamer because I play games; I buy systems because they offer me the opportunity to play games I know I'll love. The only reason I won't own a system with games on it that interest me is if the system has a strong likelihood of failing - and, even then, I'll likely buy one once they've ironed out the hardware issues. [Yes, MS, I'm looking at you.]

It's not that I ignored what you said, it's that I don't understand the mentality from a gamer's viewpoint. Like people refusing to download MLAAK because of its price, despite it easily being worth that.

defferoo said:
did this guy just stereotype the Wii's core audience? What an idiot... and he's supposed to be the "managing director at NoE"

anyway, Nintendo better come up with a solution because this lack of storage isn't helping their download sales numbers...

actually, what REALLY bothers me is how nintendo NEVER listens to what their customers want unless they know they'll make money off of it. the channel interface has so much potential, but all they give us are a bunch of random channels that i personally never use.. this storage problem, they just need a firmware update that opens up the USB ports and/or the SD card. but no, they can't even do that because "only a small amount of customers want it." if you haven't noticed yet, this tiny population of customers are also the ones that spend the most on your games nintendo. /rant

I agree with this post and am pissed at the 'geeks and otaku' comment. This mainstream mass market buy a wii for wiisports play it for a couple of weeks and then its in the cupboard.

Its the hardcore who have huge attach rates - respect us please Mr Fischer.

DrGAKMAN

Banned
Caesar III said:
You don't have to link it to your account. You don't even need one. You can download the games as often as you want to. It's stored in your Wii what games you've purchased

The Wii stores that data yes, but it's still best to link it to your "MyNintendo" account incase your Wii needs to be repaired or refurbished someday.

You're SO right :D

I thought about such a USB Drive solution this night at work and it makes perfectly sense, so Nintendo won't do it :D No I think it IS possible to see something like this at E3. Animal Crossing (NGC) was released in Europe bundled with a 59blocks Memory Card with preinstalled NES Game, so an Animal Crossing Addon would fit perfectly in this gap.

Thanks. Nintendo likes peripherals and of all their systems Wii not only has a lot of successful peripherals thus far, Wii & it's games seem to thrive on them if just to advertise. I think the Wii Wheel sucks really, but I know *several* people who bought into Mario Kart mainly because of it and Nintendo knows this. Same thing with the Wii Zapper & Wii Fit. If people WANT a thumb drive and Nintendo has the perfect game for a thumb drive (Animal Crossing) then hell yes they SHOULD do it. I think the same thing will happen for Star Fox with a voicechat headset or whatever they're gonna do there...

Visualante said:
NoE and NoA don't want Animal Crossing to come out as an MMO in the West. They don't want to deal with the back end that runs it all. That's if it exists as an MMO.
I see what you mean here, but I see Animal Crossing as (Nintendo described it a while ago) a communication game. The very same people into this series are probably the same ones interested in going online with their Wii and thusly getting VC/WiiWare games as well...in other words it just fits. Animal Crossing having a dedicated mass storage device and having access to WiiConnect24 wouldn't neccessarily make it a dirrect MMO at all, but it opens the door for it and other games to do so. SquareENIX, CAPCOM (with Monster Hunter Tri) and others have expressed wanting to do so on Wii which doesn't make sense WITHOUT Animal Crossing leading the way and Nintendo having a device (such as a mass storage thumbdrive) that makes it more possible.

Zaptruder said:
memememememememe.

Yeah, go die in a fire. How about some empathy for a change?

Nintendo's position is stupid.

Nintendo fans = I want to give you more money, but your limitations are preventing me (or making it difficult for me to/)from doing so!

Nintendo's reply = shut up nerds.

Hey I'm a Nintendo fan too, just I think the storage issue, while inconvenient really isnt a big deal

I own plenty games on my wii and I dont see a problem with switching or whatever and it's not like you cant clear space for other things. SD cards and the Wii Shop server allow for downloading again if you had to clear it off.

I do feel sorry for those that have loaded up on the VC games a bit. But lets be honest here, everyone knows the VC isnt exactly one of Nintendos main concerns. They give it some attention and little announcements on their site and the odd special event and thats it. VC's intended as an additional thing. Nintendo might assume more people will just download a few games and play them every so often.

We could argue all day about how important VC and wiiware should be to nintendo because of the fans and so on. But thats really just a discussion that could forever go around in circles. It's instant fangratifacation but it's not really a part of the business which will print money as much as the "killer apps" on the CD mediums. Nintendo is a business like every other company and what they do will always relate more to profit than what the fans want.

Okay so its slower than just having extra space to directly access them on. But if your really in the mood for some Zelda then just re-install the game you want and play it though. The other games can wait till another day after all. People today all have such a "I want this thing and I want it now!" mentality, a little patience never hurt anyone. (I'll admit however. I did import Smash Bros. having fallen prey to the hype. Though my wallet felt that harder than I would of done if I'd simply waited but oh well; lesson learned)

I own all the channels, some of the VC games and following big save games:
elebits
mysims
endless ocean
smash brothers (soon)

So these games alone take like 500 blocks. What happens if I reach the Limit without VC and stuff? Do you know how many blocks Animal Crossing will need? I predict it will be like 600.
That would mean you've got over 1000 blocks for savegames alone + like 800 blocks for Nintendo Channels (inkl Mario Kart and WiiFit)

Storage is not an issue? oh my...

I have all 4 big save games. I could still fit 2 wiiware games on there and 5 VC games. I could always delete the Wii fit channel (dont have MK channel) as its simply just a quick way to check progress and do the body test. Most of the other "channels" are rather expendable too. Plus they too are redownloadable anyways. Dont know if Mii Contest and Everybody Votes have save data that wipes if you delete it though

I have no doubt storage might eventually become a problem. I'm just a laid back sort of person who knows theres ways around these issues. Even if it's more inconvient than Sony and Microsofts instant hard-drive solutions.

HUELEN10 said:
Question. If I had that channel, witch I did for a day but deleted it due to lack of space, can Ninty STILL get information from me? I would hope so, because I would still have the channel, but I cannot spare the blocks for it.

I love this cluster-fuck. Ninty's info from Nintendo Channel indicates most people have plenty of space. You don't have the Nintendo Channel due to lack of space.

Zaptruder

Banned
JennyTablina said:
Hey I'm a Nintendo fan too, just I think the storage issue, while inconvenient really isnt a big deal

I own plenty games on my wii and I dont see a problem with switching or whatever and it's not like you cant clear space for other things. SD cards and the Wii Shop server allow for downloading again if you had to clear it off.

I do feel sorry for those that have loaded up on the VC games a bit. But lets be honest here, everyone knows the VC isnt exactly one of Nintendos main concerns. They give it some attention and little announcements on their site and the odd special event and thats it. VC's intended as an additional thing. Nintendo might assume more people will just download a few games and play them every so often.

We could argue all day about how important VC and wiiware should be to nintendo because of the fans and so on. But thats really just a discussion that could forever go around in circles. It's instant fangratifacation but it's not really a part of the business which will print money as much as the "killer apps" on the CD mediums. Nintendo is a business like every other company and what they do will always relate more to profit than what the fans want.

Okay so its slower than just having extra space to directly access them on. But if your really in the mood for some Zelda then just re-install the game you want and play it though. The other games can wait till another day after all. People today all have such a "I want this thing and I want it now!" mentality, a little patience never hurt anyone. (I'll admit however. I did import Smash Bros. having fallen prey to the hype. Though my wallet felt that harder than I would of done if I'd simply waited but oh well; lesson learned)

I have all 4 big save games. I could still fit 2 wiiware games on there and 5 VC games. I could always delete the Wii fit channel (dont have MK channel) as its simply just a quick way to check progress and do the body test. Most of the other "channels" are rather expendable too. Plus they too are redownloadable anyways. Dont know if Mii Contest and Everybody Votes have save data that wipes if you delete it though

I have no doubt storage might eventually become a problem. I'm just a laid back sort of person who knows theres ways around these issues. Even if it's more inconvient than Sony and Microsofts instant hard-drive solutions.

Just for reference, I own all of 2 NES VC games. I don't give a damn about it. I just find Nintendo's attitude towards their enthusiastic gamers reprehensible.

That's how they're treating paying customers. It's dumb, and it harkens back to the company that slid into two generations of video gaming obscurity.

Vinci

Danish
Zaptruder said:
That's how they're treating paying customers. It's dumb, and it harkens back to the company that slid into two generations of video gaming obscurity.

Because they didn't design the Wii with the inherent flexibility to add a hard drive and one of their spokesman said something stupid? If Nintendo could easily release a Wii hard drive and further profit off the thing, they would, so there is bound to be some fundamental, technical design reason for why they haven't. There's a hang-up somewhere.

What the guy said was just dumb.

pvpness

LegendofJoe said:
This is just one more sign showing how little Nintendo cares for the dedicated gamer. Actions like this and many others are the reason why I decided not to buy a Wii until the price drops below $100.

I love Nintendo's games, but I see no reason to give them my hard earned money when they dedicate so little effort in catering to what I want out of a gaming console.

Ugh. This thread reminds me that most avid gamers are whiny fucking pussies. So it takes 5 whole minutes for you (not you specifically, just people in this thread in general) to move a game from your Wii to your SD card? Man how your people have suffered.

People not downloading games because they're out of storage? How the fuck does that happen? You can move shit to your sd card basically allowing for unlimited storage. You miss out on games because you're fucking too lazy and entitled to bother with a provided option that allows you to have something YOU want? Those people call themselves gamers?

That's like saying you'd really like to buy game x, but can't be bothered to drive to the store to buy it and it's all hardware manufacturer X's fault.

I'm not defending Nintendo so much as I am slanting a bunch of lazy, catered to children that throw tantrums the second they don't get exactly what they want, as they want it. Would I prefer a harddrive? Of course. can't even remember how many times I've cleaned my "fridge" at this point, but there's no sense in whinning until the end of time about it. The reality is Nintendo will release a harddrive if they really want to... i don't think it's likely, but nonetheless crying won't help you and prayin won't do ya no good.

Baconbitz

Banned
Something tells me that guy had no clue what he was talking about because I am sure that we will receive a Hard drive sooner or later.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
pvpness said:
Ugh. This thread reminds me that most avid gamers are whiny fucking pussies. So it takes 5 whole minutes for you (not you specifically, just people in this thread in general) to move a game from your Wii to your SD card? Man how your people have suffered.

People not downloading games because they're out of storage? How the fuck does that happen? You can move shit to your sd card basically allowing for unlimited storage. You miss out on games because you're fucking too lazy and entitled to bother with a provided option that allows you to have something YOU want? Those people call themselves gamers?

That's like saying you'd really like to buy game x, but can't be bothered to drive to the store to buy it and it's all hardware manufacturer X's fault.

I'm not defending Nintendo so much as I am slanting a bunch of lazy, catered to children that throw tantrums the second they don't get exactly what they want, as they want it. Would I prefer a harddrive? Of course. can't even remember how many times I've cleaned my "fridge" at this point, but there's no sense in whinning until the end of time about it. The reality is Nintendo will release a harddrive if they really want to... i don't think it's likely, but nonetheless crying won't help you and prayin won't do ya no good.

Uh, yeah. This rant is the exact opposite extreme of people saying they'll NEVER buy a Wii Ware title or in fact a Wii until everything is absolutely perfect for them.

The truth is, the way things are set up on the Wii /is/ an annoying and flawed implementation by general usability standards, as it stands now. And it /is/ that way to benefit Nintendo's heightened degree of paranoia. Moving games around with 5 minute transfer times is actually a major pain in the ass and discouraging when you realize you may be doing it multiple times in both directions simply to play ONE game. By the time you end up clearing space for a single Wii Ware download, you may have spent a total of 30 - 35 minutes shuffling things around. The cumbersome, incredibly slow nature of the process inhibits the "breezy", friendly user interface design ethic of the Wii. Easy and instant access to "channels" of games with a click of the remote don't work so well when half your games are on the SD card or waiting to be re-downloaded through the equally slow, awkward Wii Shopping interface.

There's nothing stupid about saying that a tool given to you is a broken tool that's more trouble than it is worth to use.

Jokeropia

Visualante said:
Conversely, I find it amusing how people (not you personally) are so deluded that they trick themselves into ignoring that which they do not wish to hear.
The paraphrased statement from Laurent Fischer is directly at odds with a statement from Iwata. Which do you think supersedes the other?

Zaptruder

Banned
Vinci said:
Because they didn't design the Wii with the inherent flexibility to add a hard drive and one of their spokesman said something stupid? If Nintendo could easily release a Wii hard drive and further profit off the thing, they would, so there is bound to be some fundamental, technical design reason for why they haven't. There's a hang-up somewhere.

Better alternative may be giving users the flexibility of running VC games off the cards. Or USB HDDs.

Vinci

Danish
Zaptruder said:
Better alternative may be giving users the flexibility of running VC games off the cards. Or USB HDDs.

Of course, but there's bound to be some technical hang-up. Nintendo isn't the sort of company to piss away money, particularly if it's easy money. So I imagine there's something about how the Wii is set up that is causing a delay in them responding to this situation, 'cause there's no justifiable reason for them to want this to be an issue.

Jokeropia said:
The paraphrased statement from Laurent Fischer is directly at odds with a statement from Iwata. Which do you think supersedes the other?
Directly at odds is being a bit generous. I have no qualms about the rest, in this thread I called Fischer a second tier executive in light of how secretive Nintendo HQ is. But Iwata is yet to say they're doing anything about it.

Nintendo of America customer care: At this time, we haven't heard of any plans to offer a way to expand the memory capabilities of the system. (through GamesIndustry.biz)

Vinci

Danish
Visualante said:
Nintendo of America customer care: At this time, we haven't heard of any plans to offer a way to expand the memory capabilities of the system. (through GamesIndustry.biz)

Yeah, they'd likely be the last to know anything. We'd probably know before customer care representatives would.

Visualante said:
Directly at odds is being a bit generous. I have no qualms about the rest, in this thread I called Fischer a second tier executive in light of how secretive Nintendo HQ is. But Iwata is yet to say they're doing anything about it.

From the Nintendo website.

Q6 I am personally enjoying WiiWare and Virtual Console but feel Wii’s flash memory size is not enough and annoyed that I need to use a SD memory card. Will this situation be improved?

A6 Iwata:
Statistically speaking, it is true that there are a small number of customers who feel that the flash memory is too small, while many others find that they have plenty of memory. However, because this small number of people are none other than the most avid players, we know we have to review the best possible solution to eliminate their inconvenience.

Vinci said:
Yeah, they'd likely be the last to know anything. We'd probably know before customer care representatives would.
We'd probably know before NoE though, so these quotes can be taken with salt and pepper.

Vinci

Danish
handofg0d said:
Nintendo, into your hands I commend my storage.
Why have you forsaken me?

Are you doing your part in converting those outside the True Path to the proper Way? How many have you saved? And have those you've saved continued forward along the Path, taking unto themselves further Gospels and New Wisdom?

If not, then you shall be forsaken.

pvpness

Kaijima said:
Uh, yeah. This rant is the exact opposite extreme of people saying they'll NEVER buy a Wii Ware title or in fact a Wii until everything is absolutely perfect for them.

The truth is, the way things are set up on the Wii /is/ an annoying and flawed implementation by general usability standards, as it stands now. And it /is/ that way to benefit Nintendo's heightened degree of paranoia. Moving games around with 5 minute transfer times is actually a major pain in the ass and discouraging when you realize you may be doing it multiple times in both directions simply to play ONE game. By the time you end up clearing space for a single Wii Ware download, you may have spent a total of 30 - 35 minutes shuffling things around. The cumbersome, incredibly slow nature of the process inhibits the "breezy", friendly user interface design ethic of the Wii. Easy and instant access to "channels" of games with a click of the remote don't work so well when half your games are on the SD card or waiting to be re-downloaded through the equally slow, awkward Wii Shopping interface.

There's nothing stupid about saying that a tool given to you is a broken tool that's more trouble than it is worth to use.

I may have come off as extreme and angry, but I'm really not. I don't really care what people want to cry about this week; there is always something pointless that the masses are distracted by. I'm currently trying to teach my kid that life isn't fair and it doesn't care what he wants and I'm seeing his views being represented here by much older people. Which is alarming because he's three only three and so far it's been very hard to break him of his entitlement issues. Which is frustrating to say the least.

I can understand what you're saying but hard drives in consoles aren't standard. Last gen the xbox came packed with one, but it was far from the market leader, or the standard if you will. 360 has the option of a hard drive, but it isn't mandatory for play on most things and the PS3 comes packed with an HD in every system. Unforutnately those systems are not the standard, The PS2 was the standard and the Wii is the standard now. Each console has again standard console memory solutions, i.e. memory cards. So the bolded above is pure out simple opinion. while I'm sure that your opinion is shared between many other like minded gamers, it's still opinion and in no way reflects the mass majority and until they care about it... well I think you see where I'm going.

Like I said crying won't help, but everyone is free to do it. Not to mention that if the most annoying problem somebody has in life is a 5 mintues Nintendo Wii transfer time (even repeated multiple times over many years), well their life kicks all kinds of ass. I waste more time every day waiting for the bus.

Minsc

Gold Member
I'm praying that if Nintendo releases a USB drive it is self-powered like those WD passport drives. I've got enough bulky power supply cables and the less cables I need to have the better.

There's no reason they can't make the form factor something the size of the passport or smaller. Plus, they'd be able to fit it in a double-sized DVD box instead of something obnoxiously large.

Cerebral Assassin said:
From the Nintendo website.

A6 Iwata:
Statistically speaking, it is true that there are a small number of customers who feel that the flash memory is too small, while many others find that they have plenty of memory. However, because this small number of people are none other than the most avid players, we know we have to review the best possible solution to eliminate their inconvenience.

There's nothing about actually *doing* anything there. That quote from Iwata is more like BASEketball's schtick about Trey Parker and Matt Stone talking about the rings they're getting for Jenna: they're just considering the notion of talking about the idea of perhaps looking into the possibility of maybe some day getting more serious with her.

In other words, non-committal schlock.

Vinci

Danish
The Blue Jihad said:
There's nothing about actually *doing* anything there. That quote from Iwata is more like BASEketball's schtick about Trey Parker and Matt Stone talking about the rings they're getting for Jenna: they're just considering the notion of talking about the idea of perhaps looking into the possibility of maybe some day getting more serious with her.

What are you basing this on? The many times that Iwata has said something and then not done it? Or something else?

pvpness said:
Like I said crying won't help, but everyone is free to do it. Not to mention that if the most annoying problem somebody has in life is a 5 mintues Nintendo Wii transfer time (even repeated multiple times over many years), well their life kicks all kinds of ass. I waste more time every day waiting for the bus.
Sucks for you, but people who only have 30 minutes a day to play games for example.. don't want to have to deal with unnecessary transfer times. Which I believe you're under representing with 5 minutes if someone needs to transfer a couple of larger WiiWare games

I don't think it's anyone's biggest problem unless your name is Chris Kohler or Jeremy Parish, who review the vast majority of these games for a living. But don't belittle the valid concerns of others in a thread solely because it doesn't affect yourself.

FWIW I think the people who are kicking up a fuss and boycotting games until it's addressed are a bit silly.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I am going to weigh in here..Why is Wii being singled out? "Nintendo treats it's customers like ass." Well, let's look at their closest competitor. They DO offer a hard drive, but the stock hard drive is 20GB with less than that useable.. And worse, they have some huge game saves, tons of large DLC, a video marketplace to download movies and TV shows, and oh did I mention you are supposed to do all of this on a 20GB hard drive? Well, at least they offer an upgrade. I mean you CAN buy a 120GB drive for the same cost that you can grab a .5TB drive for the PC.

Everyone bitches about Nintendo, but the bottom line is that when you compare both storage sizes to their relative services, MS doesn't come out too much better than Nintendo (though a tiny bit), and MS in some ways comes out worse as Nintendo is just telling you there is no alternative. MS is not only pimping their alternative but fleecing you on it in the process.

So yes, Nintendo's position is stupid. But frankly Microsoft's position is only slightly less stupid.

Sony is far and away the only one who got storage right this generation.

Vinci

Danish
borghe said:
Sony is far and away the only one who got storage right this generation.

This is true. I don't own a PS3, but I will get one eventually for this reason and also for some of the upcoming games (namely Team ICO's new one - e3 please??).

Borghe I think Nintendo is being singled out because of the vision that Iwata outlined with the Wii. When he revealed it and in the following months he spoke of how they'll support generic hard drives and USB storage, and we will never been "more than 5 seconds away from play" and that it will be silent. On this issue they've done a complete U-turn and haven't delivered, while at the same time other features aimed at a different audience, Wii Fit, Nintendo Channel have been delivered.

HUELEN10

Visualante said:
Borghe I think Nintendo is being singled out because of the vision that Iwata outlined with the Wii. When he revealed it and in the following months he spoke of how they'll support generic hard drives and USB storage, and we will never been "more than 5 seconds away from play" and that it will be silent. On this issue they've done a complete U-turn and haven't delivered, while at the same time other features aimed at a different audience, Wii Fit, Nintendo Channel have been delivered.
He DID ay that. That pisses me off even more.

Vinci said:

Piracy. I would bet money that there is no technical reason. Nintendo is afraid that with a hard drive the homebrew community will find ways to distribute VC games.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
prodystopian said:
Piracy. I would bet money that there is no technical reason. Nintendo is afraid that with a hard drive the homebrew community will find ways to distribute VC games.
They already are, and they already have access to hard drives.

DrGAKMAN

Banned
The Blue Jihad said:

Sounds more like to me that there's no commitment because they don't know what they're going to do yet...still...maybe by now they do, but then they didn't? They were probably in the process of weighing the pros'n'cons of doing it one way or another. I myself keep going back'n'forth on what they'll do depending on what they weigh more important: their security VS our conveiniance, with things like profit, mindshare and marketting also being at stake.

Since those ARE at stake with this issue though (namely profit on Nintendo's end, ie: bringing out an over-priced peripheral to fix the problem or potentially losing profit due to less people buying Wii Shop software) I do believe Nintendo will do something about it. Hackers have ALREADY openned up SD & USB mass-storage solutions so I imagine Nintendo can too...just that they haven't which leads me to believe that there's reason for it meaning they haven't made up their mind which way to go (openning up SD/USB on the user end and potentially losing security or bringing out their own proprietary solution such as a thumbdrive on their end) OR they have decided but have to time it right for marketting and possitioning. In my mind the latter points to them bringing out their own device which means they're waiting for the apprpriate software (Animal Crossing) to help hype it up. In the mean time they haven't openned up SD/USB (due to security?) and they've maybe been mum on their solution due to, again, timing (as they'd be concerned with the image of "flooding" Wii with peripherals just when WiiFit & the WiiWheel were recently released). It could also be a simple marketting issue of what they'd call the device even.

If we don't hear about it (a peripheral solution such as a USB HDD or thumbdrive) at E3 or when they announce Animal Crossing then I suspect our hopes for that kind of a solution are dashed and that all that would be left for Nintendo to do would be releasing firmware to allow for executables from an external (SD/USB) source (once they work out whatever security issues they seem to be having) or no real soultion at all.

Vinci said:
What are you basing this on? The many times that Iwata has said something and then not done it? Or something else?

I'm basing it on what he said, and the words he used. "We know we have to review the best possible solution to eliminate their inconvenience" does not imply they're actively pursuing a solution. All it does is hint at the idea of them considering tossing a few ideas around, one of which they *might* use. Basically is a prototypical corporate dodge intended to buy time rather than come right out and say "Here's our plan, and here's how we're going to achieve X, Y, and Z."

They should have had a plan when the Wii launched two years ago. That plan should have been implemented long before two years passed. They had to have known storage space was going to be an issue.

I don't really care about the storage issue that much, because I don't play my Wii enough for storage to become an issue (which, really, is yet another issue with the Wii...cause I'm not playing it much). But even so, I'm still very disappointed with Nintendo these days. They should know better. They've been in the industry the longest. They should know better than to pull this crap.

EDIT: DrGAK, I feel you on that, but at the same time, I wonder why it could have possibly taken them this long to even come out and essentially say "yeeaaah....about that.....we'll get to it sometime."

To not put so fine a point on it, they generally fucked themselves over. I mean, for a company that apparently prides itself on its apparent foresight, they should have released a system with more storage capacity (and a built-in ethernet port, but that's another problem entirely). And with how affordable most decent size HDDs were back then...a 1 gig HDD would have gone a long way.

It's kind of terrible for Nintendo, in a way. They've made loads of money making a system on the cheap, but now intentional design choices are coming back to bite them in the ass with the customers they need to keep around.

HUELEN10

The Blue Jihad said:
I don't really care about the storage issue that much, because I don't play my Wii enough for storage to become an issue (which, really, is yet another issue with the Wii...cause I'm not playing it much). But even so, I'm still very disappointed with Nintendo these days. They should know better. They've been in the industry the longest. They should know better than to pull this crap.
See, that is the worst part. You don't play it often and YOU are pissed off as you should be. Now think of how pissed off the people who use it as their main current-gen are. I really don't want to keep on bashing, but you are so right! COME ON Ninty! You are over 100 years old, so ACT LIKE IT!

Jaruru

prodystopian said:
Good to know. I'm still confident that is the reason they haven't done anything about the storage problem yet.

while there's like way to absolutely avoid the piracy. maybe Nintendo is just holding the big news for the storage system. along with the games (AC).

BOMB BOMB BOMB

Vinci

Danish
HUELEN10 said:
See, that is the worst part. You don't play it often and YOU are pissed off as you should be. Now think of how pissed off the people who use it as their main current-gen are. I really don't want to keep on bashing, but you are so right! COME ON Ninty! You are over 100 years old, so ACT LIKE IT!

They are. They're actively using the same business sense that has kept them in business for 100 years. It might not be to your liking specifically, or even to mine (I'd like a hard drive myself), but it's what works for them.

This is further proof that Nintendo doesn't give a shit. If this this comment originated from any other game-company and got all this negative attention, they would issue an appology or clearify their statement. Nintendo just don't care.

Vinci said:
They are. They're actively using the same business sense that has kept them in business for 100 years. It might not be to your liking specifically, or even to mine (I'd like a hard drive myself), but it's what works for them.

The only business sense being applied here is lack of priority. There's no reason to think a peripheral wouldn't be very profitable, both on its own sales per unit basis, and also through encouraging more online game sales.

ziran said:
Nintendo's going to have something for Wii's storage problem, after all it means more profit to them - they sold ~$75 million in downloads last fiscal year, but it will only come when they feel they've done the best they can to minimise piracy.

Obviously they can't and won't be able to stop it, piracy always finds a way, it's whether they can make it awkward enough so the least amount of people bother with it, this is what they'll be working on and what's taking the time.

Oh, and really, it's pointless listening to anyone other than Iwata, Miyamoto or other NCL exces for what Nintendo's actually doing, and even then things can change. Everybody else is just part of a glorified box shifting and marketing operation at NCL's bidding.

spot on, so true!

HUELEN10 said:
Still, number 2 would only be half a solution, as we still have channel cap. Why do we have a channel cap in the first place. You know, I am more annoyed at the channel cap then storage at times. What were they thinking?

you know, i'm sure when i got my launch day wii it had hundreds of empy channels - I only noticed the other day that now there only a few dozen. Has any one got a launch wii thats never been online?

HUELEN10

Captain Chaos said:
you know, i'm sure when i got my launch day wii it had hundreds of empy channels - I only noticed the other day that now there only a few dozen. Has any one got a launch wii thats never been online?

Are you SERIOUS? If I am not being too hopeful, I think I too noticed this, but shrugged it off. I am off the search youtube videos of Launch systems. Maybe our answer lies there, and then we got them!

Vinci

Danish
HUELEN10 said:

Are you SERIOUS? If I am not being too hopeful, I think I too noticed this, but shrugged it off. I am off the search youtube videos of Launch systems. Maybe our answer lies there, and then we got them!

:lol

o_O -.- o.o o_O

You're enjoying this just a bit too much.

Jokeropia

Crescendo170 said:
This is further proof that Nintendo doesn't give a shit. If this this comment originated from any other game-company and got all this negative attention, they would issue an appology or clearify their statement. Nintendo just don't care.
Nintendo doesn't need to clarify any statement from some NOE bozo as Iwata himself has already made the official line as obvious as it can be. Especially not when the "negative attention" is a bunch of whiners on an Internet forum.

HUELEN10

Vinci said:
:lol

o_O -.- o.o o_O

You're enjoying this just a bit too much.
Well of course. My old man once told me that it is better to laugh than cry at frustrating event. I am pissed of at Ninttendo, but if I have some fun with the frustration, it won't seem that big.

Vinci

Danish
HUELEN10 said:
Well of course. My old man once told me that it is better to laugh than cry at frustrating event. I am pissed of at Ninttendo, but if I have some fun with the frustration, it won't seem that big.

You people take your storage very seriously. I want a hard drive, but I'm not pissed at anyone over it considering I'm still actively using the system and having a good time. Different strokes, different folks, I guess.

HUELEN10

Vinci said:
You people take your storage very seriously. I want a hard drive, but I'm not pissed at anyone over it considering I'm still actively using the system and having a good time. Different strokes, different folks, I guess.
It is serious when you have about 70 Shop Channel Games and people who want to play them.

Top Bottom