• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo's stance on Wii storage: only "geeks and otaku" want that addressed

HUELEN10 said:

Are you SERIOUS? If I am not being too hopeful, I think I too noticed this, but shrugged it off. I am off the search youtube videos of Launch systems. Maybe our answer lies there, and then we got them!

yeah definately, your comment made me post.....we're onto something here, why would nintendo do that?

HUELEN10

Captain Chaos said:
yeah definately, your comment made me post.....we're onto something here, why would nintendo do that?
Well, assuming we are correct, it could have been done to try to cap off the amount of channels before space ran out. However when you download a lot of NES games like I do, you run out of Channels before blocks. They KNEW that storage was a problem, yet they did not nip it in the bud........

bumpkin

Vinci said:
You people take your storage very seriously. I want a hard drive, but I'm not pissed at anyone over it considering I'm still actively using the system and having a good time. Different strokes, different folks, I guess.
I'm with you to an extent, but it is a little annoying when I need to copy stuff to an SD card and delete it to download something new. I don't even own that many games from the Wii Shop; 5 NES games, 4 N64 games, 4 SNES games and 2 WiiWare games. Given the size of the shop's catalog, its built-in storage is far from adequate.

HUELEN10 said:
Well, assuming we are correct, it could have been done to try to cap off the amount of channels before space ran out. However when you download a lot of NES games like I do, you run out of Channels before blocks. They KNEW that storage was a problem, yet they did not nip it in the bud........

ha, from their point of view, they did exactly that.

on reflection it could be the case that Nintendo have planned this all along. Get random French rep to fire up the hardcore with their justified anger at lack of storage then blaw!! a few weeks later E3 comes and our hero Iwata announces a Nintendo branded 8gig flash pen with animal crossing pre loaded on it

Jokeropia said:
Nintendo doesn't need to clarify any statement from some NOE bozo as Iwata himself has already made the official line as obvious as it can be. Especially not when the "negative attention" is a bunch of whiners on an Internet forum.
I never said they needed to clarify anything. I didn't even say that they should clarify anything. I'm saying that if an official MS-exec, or perhaps an Epic-representative made a comment like this, they would at least try to calm down the angry nerd-mob. Nintendo on the other hand, they just don't give a shit.

Vinci

Danish
HUELEN10 said:
They KNEW that storage was a problem, yet they did not nip it in the bud........

I think Miyamoto has actually commented on that being the one thing he wishes he could've changed in the Wii's development - to increase the storage, IIRC. This thread is pretty funny in how people are actively trying to showcase Nintendo as some sort of bad guy or something.

Crescendo170 said:
I never said they needed to clarify anything. I didn't even say that they should clarify anything. I'm saying that if an official MS-exec, or perhaps an Epic-representative made a comment like this, they would at least try to calm down the angry nerd-mob. Nintendo on the other hand, they just don't give a shit.

If Sony attempted to apologize for the torrent of stupidity that came from its many executives' mouths in the months leading up to the PS3's launch, it would still be apologizing to this day.

bumpkin said:
I'm with you to an extent, but it is a little annoying when I need to copy stuff to an SD card and delete it to download something new. I don't even own that many games from the Wii Shop; 5 NES games, 4 N64 games, 4 SNES games and 2 WiiWare games. Given the size of the shop's catalog, its built-in storage is far from adequate.

I'm in a similar position, too. By no stretch of the imagination did I go overboard with the VC. I picked up 3 N64 titles, a handful of SNES, some Genesis, and around 10 NES games. And even that took up a considerable chunk of space. Then there are channels that I find myself unable to get rid of (weather and news, I think), because there doesn't appear to be an actual Delete option. Then you have game saves, which are (bizarrely) separate memory items from the game data entries themselves.

It's super-lame.

Oh! Does anyone even use their Photo Channel? I can't begin to figure out how anyone has any space left if they store even a few dozen family pictures...for most cameras today, you can fill 500 meg really frigging quickly...

Vinci said:
This thread is pretty funny in how people are actively trying to showcase Nintendo as some sort of bad guy or something.

Not me. I see Nintendo as a sort of George Dubya figure; they assumed power largely by accident, they don't really possess a clear grasp on how flawed their policies are, and they're kind of child-like in their malaise and naivete.

I hope all this new sku talk becomes reality at e3 and Nintendo drops the price of standard wii and then releases a 'bells and whistles' version for me.

I mean this is the age of choice

Vinci

Danish
Captain Chaos said:
I hope all this sku talk becomes reality at e3 and Nintendo drop the price of standard wii and then release a 'bells and whistles' version for me.

I mean this is the age of choice

This is exactly what I hope they don't do. Christ, enough with this SKUs business.

Gagaman

Just give us a how-ever-many GB's USB memory stick of some sort that only runs on the Wii so they don't have to worry about piracy. I'd rather not have to buy a whole new SKU.

Vinci said:
This is exactly what I hope they don't do. Christ, enough with this SKUs business.

Ok, I'll make do with a new colour (black, red, green - I dont give a damn, where are those colours!!) 8gig flash drive and....

Super Mario 5

Vinci said:

I think the original idea was that once we fill up a Wii, we're supposed to go out and buy another one, to ensure Wii's success. Well, since now, no one can find one, I guess it's plan B!

samratty

While I haven't ran out of space yet (mainly due to having no money), I want the storage issue addressed. It's a matter of convience first and foremost.
If we don't get announcement this year I'll be dissapointed. I'd be happy with a USB flash drive or something like that.

With WiiWare and VC, and whatever channels and other things come along even some of the upper end of casual users will be hurting for space, badly.

DrGAKMAN

Banned
Captain Chaos said:
ha, from their point of view, they did exactly that.

on reflection it could be the case that Nintendo have planned this all along. Get random French rep to fire up the hardcore with their justified anger at lack of storage then blaw!! a few weeks later E3 comes and our hero Iwata announces a Nintendo branded 8gig flash pen with animal crossing pre loaded on it

Well...again, as I said, if we don't hear a USB flashdrive "solution" around E3 (or when Animal Crossing is announced) then I imagine there WON'T be a solution unless it has to do with the firmware allowing SD/USB user access.

Pellham

Banned
Crescendo170 said:
This is further proof that Nintendo doesn't give a shit. If this this comment originated from any other game-company and got all this negative attention, they would issue an appology or clearify their statement. Nintendo just don't care.

When you're literally swimming in money, you can say whatever you want.

Vinci

Danish
An apology.

Not that it'll improve the situation: Most of the people getting up in arms about this - including Jaffe - couldn't give a shit about Nintendo or the Wii in the first place, I'd imagine. It just became an easy missive to bitch at them about.

EDIT: Mind you, the 'situation' I'm commenting on isn't Wii storage. Of course the owners of the Wii who frequent this site would likely want more storage of the thing, but the aggressiveness of people jumping on this comment - which was likely the guy just teasing in the first place, even if it was stupid to do so - to attack the company has been ridiculous.

Wonderdog

Honestly, tihs came from Europe. And as far as video game marketing goes, it doesn't get anymore pointless than European video game marketing. (Sorry Europe).

epmode

Vinci said:
couldn't give a shit about Nintendo or the Wii in the first place,
It seems that many people on this forum equate "giving a shit about Nintendo" to supporting them through every ass-backwards decision they've made over this generation just because of high NPD numbers. And their storage "solution" is definitely one of these decisions.

And yeah, I own a Wii. And yeah, I stopped purchasing VC/WiiWare games because of the storage problem.

Vinci

Danish
epmode said:
It seems that many people on this forum equate "giving a shit about Nintendo" to supporting them through every ass-backwards decision they've made over this generation just because of high NPD numbers. And their storage "solution" is definitely one of these decisions.

And yeah, I own a Wii. And yeah, I stopped purchasing VC/WiiWare games because of the storage problem.

Did I say, at any point, that it's unreasonable to want more storage for the system or that Nintendo wasn't making a mistake in failing to provide one? Please find a quote from me stating that. I support Nintendo because they make games that I like to play, and they've successfully brought this to people (namely family and friends) that before couldn't have given a shit about it. So they've done a LOT right and some things wrong. I don't support them because NPD tells me to; the NPD numbers simply reflect what they've done right.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
The Blue Jihad said:
Oh! Does anyone even use their Photo Channel? I can't begin to figure out how anyone has any space left if they store even a few dozen family pictures...for most cameras today, you can fill 500 meg really frigging quickly...
the photo channels works with pictures from SD just fine. yes, been using it regularly since day 1.

Vinci

Danish
blu said:
the photo channels works with pictures from SD just fine. yes, been using it regularly since day 1.

Me too. It's a great way to show off pics from a vacation or trip to a museum to people who couldn't come. Plus, my girlfriend loves turning them into puzzles to kill time on occasion.

pvpness said:
Ugh. This thread reminds me that most avid gamers are whiny fucking pussies. So it takes 5 whole minutes for you (not you specifically, just people in this thread in general) to move a game from your Wii to your SD card? Man how your people have suffered.

People not downloading games because they're out of storage? How the fuck does that happen? You can move shit to your sd card basically allowing for unlimited storage. You miss out on games because you're fucking too lazy and entitled to bother with a provided option that allows you to have something YOU want? Those people call themselves gamers?

That's like saying you'd really like to buy game x, but can't be bothered to drive to the store to buy it and it's all hardware manufacturer X's fault.

I'm not defending Nintendo so much as I am slanting a bunch of lazy, catered to children that throw tantrums the second they don't get exactly what they want, as they want it. Would I prefer a harddrive? Of course. can't even remember how many times I've cleaned my "fridge" at this point, but there's no sense in whinning until the end of time about it. The reality is Nintendo will release a harddrive if they really want to... i don't think it's likely, but nonetheless crying won't help you and prayin won't do ya no good.
It doesn't matter if your customers are whiny pussies, your job is to satisfy them. If they have been "spoiled" by the copious storage space or user-expandable storage of your competitors (whether other consoles or the PC) then you had better do something about it.

Your attitude is the equivalent of a train company complaining about how everyone is a whiny pussy because they expect to be able to fly across the country in a day now that airplane travel has caught on.

jts

...hate me...
The Blue Jihad said:
I use it... but i don't save any picture on the Wii. I like its slideshow and video playback, recently when my folks came back from Paris, i just popped the SD card out of their camera into the Wii et voila. Magnifique laughs while sitting around the TV on confy couches.

DreD

Iwata already acknowledge this issue, yet many in this thread chose to ignore it.

"Statistically speaking, it is true that there are a small number of customers who feel that the flash memory is too small, while many others find that they have plenty of memory," he said.

"However, because this small number of people are none other than the most avid players, we know we have to review the best possible solution to eliminate their inconvenience."

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
Captain Chaos said:
you know, i'm sure when i got my launch day wii it had hundreds of empy channels - I only noticed the other day that now there only a few dozen. Has any one got a launch wii thats never been online?

Since I didn't have a launch Wii, all that I have to go off of is this video from IGN. In it, Matt received a dev kit from some kind developer and demonstrated loading Wii and GCN discs, and then showed the channel interface. Four pages (See 1:43-1:51, specifically). Keep in mind that this video was posted November 1, 2006--nearly three weeks before the system launched. So, even if your launch Wii did initially have "hundreds of empty channels," there's evidence that Nintendo always intended to limit the number of channels available.

Captain Chaos said:
you know, i'm sure when i got my launch day wii it had hundreds of empy channels - I only noticed the other day that now there only a few dozen. Has any one got a launch wii thats never been online?

My friend and I both thought the same...well, not that we had "hundreds" of channels, but more than we have now. I remember counting up the channels by 12's (12 per page) and coming up with a high 2-digit number (presumably 96, maybe 84), and thinking "okay, there are almost 100 channels". My friend swears there were 6 pages, which would be only 72 channels. Either way, we were convinced it was more than the 4 we have now.

It's tough to hold to, though: someone would've noticed. Every tiny firmware change has been brought to light and discussed to death.

HUELEN10

So that douchebag Laurent Fischer said this:
Definitely there's no plan to issue hardware, an external hard drive, but we know that we have an issue in that area. It's very obvious and we're perfectly aware of it, but there's nothing we can say beyond this.

The fuck? So they know something is wrong and there it no external HDD plans? If this meant opening up the SD slot, it would still be pointless if it had that stupid channel cap.

Still, NOE knows jack shit...

Vinci

Danish
A Link to the Snitch said:
A statement made a long while ago that has resulted in a whopping "nothing".

Call me when Iwata DOES something about it.

Let's say he IS doing something about it: How quickly do you truly imagine they'd have something ready? It's not like they're going to open up the Wii entirely, which means they're going to have to do some R&D before anything goes live. They have their reasons for being conservative and careful on this issue: Nintendo doesn't ordinarily strike me as a company that pisses away money.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Vinci said:
Let's say he IS doing something about it: How quickly do you truly imagine they'd have something ready? It's not like they're going to open up the Wii entirely, which means they're going to have to do some R&D before anything goes live. They have their reasons for being conservative and careful on this issue: Nintendo doesn't ordinarily strike me as a company that pisses away money.

How else do you make a HIGHLY profitable third place, you play smart and do things right!

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
perfectchaos007 said:
I'm a casual gamer and only have 72 blocks of Wii memory left. I'm not a geek or otaku.
are you by any chance running for a 'self-negating post of the month'?

swerve

Re-posted from the other NoE bashing thread:

So they've confirmed no HDD, and play-from-SD still seems unlikely due to speed/piracy issues.

Which still leaves the option of a new 'my games' channel, where:

- you can quickly peruse all your games as though they were on your system, by genre/name/recently added
- you can select to download one to your menu straight away without opening the store
- if you haven't got the space for your download, you can remove channels from within the 'my games' channel (it could even suggest which games would give you the most room)
- you can set a minimum number of free blocks to leave and have it warn you when you're under your desired lower limit
- you can set age limits on your games, and have the Wii Menu delete games you haven't played in a fixed time of your choosing.

That's my preferred method (as a user who is happy to delete stuff they don't use). Don't hate at me! Storing online is the future!

krae_man

HUELEN10 said:
So that douchebag Laurent Fischer said this:

The fuck? So they know something is wrong and there it no external HDD plans? If this meant opening up the SD slot, it would still be pointless if it had that stupid channel cap.

Still, NOE knows jack shit...

What if it means they will release a new Wii with 1gb(or 2gb) of flash memory?

"Geeks and Otaku" will probably pay $250 for more memory.

swerve said:

(Snipped interesting suggestion)

That's my preferred method (as a user who is happy to delete stuff they don't use). Don't hate at me! Storing online is the future!

While I could see that being considered for WiiWare/VC games (perhaps even just using some kind of Channel placeholder that - when started - triggered an auto download, so you could see all of your games etc. on the main menu) I can't see it being workable for other Channels.

If I want to see what competitions are on in MK, do a quick body test or browse through the latest DS demos, I don't think download-on-demand would work adequately. Assuming that, and given the sizes of the current range of Channels:

Everybody Votes - 61
Internet - 291
Mii Contest - 93
Nintendo Channel - 253
Mario Kart - 86
Wii Fit - 106

Total - 890 blocks

...a workable solution for local storage and execution of Channels is a must if Nintendo want to keep on expanding what Channels are on offer (Animal Crossing Channel, anyone?)

swerve said:

That's fine, too. More storage is preferable, but a well-designed method of managing space is a reasonable alternative. Even the simple ability to delete and re-download right from the main menu would be a nice improvement...of course, the 're-download' option would require a placeholder, which means either more channel slots or some kind of tiered organization--both long overdue aside from space issues anyway.

DrGAKMAN

Banned
swerve said:

So they've confirmed no HDD, and play-from-SD still seems unlikely due to speed/piracy issues.

Which still leaves the option of a new 'my games' channel, where:

- you can quickly peruse all your games as though they were on your system, by genre/name/recently added
- you can select to download one to your menu straight away without opening the store
- if you haven't got the space for your download, you can remove channels from within the 'my games' channel (it could even suggest which games would give you the most room)
- you can set a minimum number of free blocks to leave and have it warn you when you're under your desired lower limit
- you can set age limits on your games, and have the Wii Menu delete games you haven't played in a fixed time of your choosing.

That's basically my "Whipeboard Channel" I had before the HDD talk in where there's a new Channel that looks directly into your SD card and manages the Channels on it offering "one-click" access much faster/easier than doing it through the regular data management menu's. Basically you open the Channel, you look on your SD card and see what game you wanna play, click it and the Channel is decrypted and copied to the internal memory a few moments later, then the system resets and you just select that newly transfered Channel. The "whipeboard" in this case would be an alotted portion of the internal memory that's partitioned for the transfered Channel to be saved to.

Problem still being...

Cosmonaut X said:
While I could see that being considered for WiiWare/VC games (perhaps even just using some kind of Channel placeholder that - when started - triggered an auto download, so you could see all of your games etc. on the main menu) I can't see it being workable for other Channels.

If I want to see what competitions are on in MK, do a quick body test or browse through the latest DS demos, I don't think download-on-demand would work adequately. Assuming that, and given the sizes of the current range of Channels:

Everybody Votes - 61
Internet - 291
Mii Contest - 93
Nintendo Channel - 253
Mario Kart - 86
Wii Fit - 106

Total - 890 blocks

...a workable solution for local storage and execution of Channels is a must if Nintendo want to keep on expanding what Channels are on offer (Animal Crossing Channel, anyone?)

Nintendo has said several times they plan on making more Channels which means a "whipeboard" solution would only be temporary. But who knows, Nintendo may see it as so much "better" that way that they'll insist that that's the "solution", much like they're still saying the "fridge" method is a solution. Eventually though, with things like Animal Crossing and potential MMO's and DLC, Nintendo's gonna have to do more...even more than a placeholder "whipeboard" Channel deal.

He says no HDD (but he may be wrong)...let's suppose he's telling the truth and they're doing something other than a HDD...it's either a half-assed upgrade from "fridge" to "whipeboard" or maybe just MAYBE they are finally gonna open up SD cards with an "SD Channel" or something. After all, the rumor around was that Nintendo had the fix to stop the TP hack months ago but that they only waited until *now* to release it? We also know, thanks to homebrew, that the Wii can access Channels dirrectly from an outside source (SD or USB HDD), but at this time Nintendo hasn't allowed it themselves...maybe they will allow it eventually which really would solve the problem and be a true solution. Maybe they're waiting for the hackers to exploit a new hack (Smash is next right) and then BAM Nintendo stops that one and add's the SD Channel for direct access to Channels on SD?

blu said:
are you by any chance running for a 'self-negating post of the month'?
?

Considering my favorite games are Mario Kart, Wii Sports, and Super Monkey ball...I consider myself a casual gamer. I also don't like Zelda, Final Fantasy, and Metroid games. Hunters for the DS was okay though, but I never had the desire to beat the one on Wii. ( I got half way through it and quit, its still on my shelf ) My most highly anticipated game is the new Animal Crossing on Wii.

So just because I downloaded a bunch of Mario games on VC doesn't mean I'm a hardcore gamer. I'm a very casual gamer, that has just ran out of console memory.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Fischer: Nintendo "working on solution" to Wii storage issue
Having ignited controversy with remarks he insists were a "joke", Nintendo's Laurent Fischer has moved to reassure consumers on the issue of Wii system memory, confirming: "We're working on a solution".

But rumours of an external hard drive have been torpedoed by the Euro marketing boss, who revealed: "Definitely there's no plan to issue hardware".

In his first major interview since the now-infamous "geeks and otaku" comment was quoted in a magazine article, Fischer insisted that the company took people's concerns over the storage limits of its console seriously.

"We definitely detect that they [gamers] are serious and we know there is an issue in this, so it's something that we're working on," he told GamesIndustry.biz. But Fischer poured cold water on rumours - stemming from recent hints dropped by Nintendo President Satoru Iwata - that the company was planning an external solution.

"Definitely there's no plan to issue hardware, an external hard drive, but we know that we have an issue in that area," he added. "It's very obvious and we're perfectly aware of it, but there's nothing we can say beyond this."

Pressed on what this entailed, Fischer said he was not yet privy to the details, explaining that "this area is fully handled by the development team in Japan. It's very linked to the overall strategy; that's something they're working on."

Last week, Edge magazine reported that Fischer had said during a press event that only "geeks and otaku" were worried about Wii memory limitations. The comments provoked a furious response in forums, and a scathing attack from outspoken God Of War creator David Jaffe, who labelled the remarks "arrogant" and said Nintendo should be "very ashamed" if they reflected company thinking.

Fischer was forced to issue a statement aplogising for what he called a "misunderstanding". And eager fully to set the record straight, he this week insisted his words had been meant as a "joke".

"I really didn't use that terminology to describe the Nintendo consumer - it was something related basically to myself and to the journalists attending. It was a joke I made on myself and somehow it's been confused and taken out of context to define those consumers."

He added: "I understand I have created a lot of offence with people. And for me it's very, very important to clarify this - that's not the kind of thing I've been saying in [the way it has been reported]. Disappointment in the community is something I was really affected by.

"We had this event one month ago. It was very positive; we had lots of open and interesting discussions with journalists and the developers - it was beneficial for us as we could go in depth into all the WiiWare questions."

Wii offers 512Mb of Flash memory for the storage of saved games and downloadable content. But following the launch of the WiiWare games channel - which rolled out in Europe on May 20th - many users have complained of running out of storage space.

With the promised "solution" still shrouded in secrecy, Fischer reiterated Nintendo's official advice: "You can store your Virtual Console games on an SD card, and also we at Nintendo can store the things for you. So if you delete some of the software you have downloaded it's no problem to go again to the download process and get the software back for free."

Consumers, however, have complained that this is a cumbersome process in practice.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/fischer-nintendo-working-on-solution-to-wii-storage-issue

Vinci

Danish
One thing I was thinking about after hearing Nintendo Voice Chat tease that Nintendo is planning an 'unorthodox' solution for the storage issues:

(1) Say that they add two new channels to the Wii Menu: VC Games & Wii Ware. Instead of having separate channels for each game, they're contained within folders inside each of those.

(2) Others have talked about the system helping you when you're downloading something by telling you that you don't have enough space and allowing you to delete a game via that interface rather than having to go back to the Wii's memory and do it there. That would work fine for what I'm thinking.

(3) Now, imagine you ARE going to delete a game to free up space: What if, as you delete it, a window popped up and asked, "Would you like Nintendo to save your data for this game remotely?" If it's something like MLAAK or whatever, then you might want them to and would say 'yes.' For something like Super Mario Bros, obviously it's less of an issue and you could say 'no.'

(4) Once you've deleted the game, it's still listed in your VC Games or Wii Ware Channels and you could have the system redownload it immediately from there without visiting the Shop Channel. For save games that you had Nintendo remotely store, they would be automatically put back onto your system and you could return to where you left off.

Is it the solution that gamers would want? No, not really. But what it does is put more control in Nintendo's hands, something they love. For you to be able to do it, you'd have to freely share data on your system with Nintendo, meaning that it could potentially help them crack down on piracy or homebrew or whatever the hell they feel like targeting. It would also address the customers most in need of a storage solution: the high-end casual / hardcore gamer that likely has access to the internet anyway. If people choose not to update to get this functionality, it tells Nintendo how much of their customer base is likely using applications that haven't been approved by them.

If this isn't feasible, please tell me. It's just something I started considering based on how they prefer to offer options but without actually putting themselves at risk from opening up the Wii.

Top Bottom