• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo's stance on Wii storage: only "geeks and otaku" want that addressed

Hey, you know what? Geeks and otaku not an issue? I guess it's not an issue that we run homebrew right?* Excellent.

*I do not condone piracy

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I swear, am I gonna have to kill every Nintendo employee's first born child before they wise up?

akachan ningen said:
It's been obvious they don't care about the people who kept them afloat during the relatively rough times. But those same people keep celebrating Nintendo and holding out hope that Nintendo will give them something they want.

I agree on both counts.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Tobor said:
Nintendo would be bankrupt within a year. :lol

Fine by me. Maybe then someone competent can pick up the Metroid license and make a new 2D Metroid

TunaLover

When NOE has been relevant anyway?
Worry when NCL speak, Iwata is already concerned by this problem, even he thinks a small part of the Wii users are complaining for this issue.

HUELEN10

Mrbob said:
This is true.

Probably means being able to play games off SD card support is coming tommorrow.
That would only half-solve the issue. There is still the issue of there not being enough free channels.

Yaweee

What on Earth would make people think Nintendo is competent enough to come up with a technological advancement to address a fundamental flaw in a pre-existing system? If anything, they'll release a system with 2 GB of internal memory, tell previous owners to deal with what they have or upgrade, then slowly increase the memory usage of the necessary channels until everybody has no choice but to buy an updated system.

HUELEN10

EmCeeGramr said:
Miyamoto also said the limited memory was his one regret with wii hardware. I hope NOE is just out of touch with NCL again.
The same Miyamoto who said he could have made HALO?

Pojo

Banned
News flash: the only people that buy VC/WiiWare games in the first place are geeks and otaku, dipshit.

GhostSeed

He totally right :lol but that doesn't mean Nintendo shouldn't do something about the storage problems.

NOE's Laurent Fischer
2lbc4tc.jpg

Haunted

Y2Kev said:
Drink deep. :lol

Lol at 18-39 male gaffers laughing at their own demographic. :(
It's GAF tradition to laugh at the less fortunate.

two more WiiWare games and I'm one of them!
Someone post the Room 1408 fridge.gif again.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
cpro said:
What on Earth would make people think Nintendo is competent enough to come up with a technological advancement to address a fundamental flaw in a pre-existing system? If anything, they'll release a system with 2 GB of internal memory, tell previous owners to deal with what they have or upgrade, then slowly increase the memory usage of the necessary channels until everybody has no choice but to buy an updated system.

There IS a usb slot. And you can buy Hard drives. It's not a technical flaw that's preventing it from being used, it's nintendo. As have been stated, home brew applications can already be run off a usb device.

Tobor

HK-47 said:
Fine by me. Maybe then someone competent can pick up the Metroid license and make a new 2D Metroid

Fail.

Galactic Fork said:
There IS a usb slot. And you can buy Hard drives. It's not a technical flaw that's preventing it from being used, it's nintendo. As have been stated, home brew applications can already be run off a usb device.

This. I'm still of the opinion they will sort it out eventually, just on their terms and on their timetable. I would love some added storage, but I moved some stuff to the SD card last weekend, and it wasn't the end of the world. I'll survive.

HUELEN10

Haunted One said:
It's GAF tradition to laugh at the less fortunate.

two more WiiWare games and I'm one of them!
Someone post the Room 1408 fridge.gif again.
Better pic.....

256MB.png

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
20% of the audience accounts for 80% of the revenue.
(hardcore).................................(spend more)

That's the standard business model anyway.
Silly Nintendo for doing something different! And "unintelligent" even to actually insult that %!

Haunted

Stumpokapow said:
it's hacked right now dude
Aren't geeks and otaku the ones most likely to use the available NES/SNES/etc. emulators on the Wii anyway?

Total paradox in the making here.

HUELEN10 said:
Better pic.....
:lol I liked the one with the Wii represented by an open mini-fridge better, though.

Deleted the wii fit channel today cos I needed 120 blocks for their video marketing and ds demo channel.

I'm pretty sure something about this will be mentioned at e3.. At least I fucking hope so!

Sort it out Nintendo!

Fine motherfuckers... My Wii's full and you won't be getting any money from me to buy your WiiWare shit.

Oh yeah, and when you discover that your WiiWare sales are really really low and you blame it on something else like the idea of downloadble games just not being popular, this will really be why your WiiWare games don't sell. Remember that.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Tobor said:
I just played a Metroid game last fall, and it was more than competent. It was fantastic.
Read. I wasnt talking about the game. I'm talking about the people holding the IP. ALso that was 3D Metroid, a different experience

HUELEN10

polyh3dron said:
Well, our memory will be full, therefore we kinda have no choice but to boycott right?
True, but what else could the community do to effectively help fix this?

Tobor

polyh3dron said:
Fine motherfuckers... My Wii's full and you won't be getting any money from me to buy your WiiWare shit.

Oh yeah, and when you discover that your WiiWare sales are really really low and you blame it on something else like the idea of downloadble games just not being popular, this will really be why your WiiWare games don't sell. Remember that.

This is what worries me. Good games won't sell as well as they could, or should.

Geeks and otakus don't have money, GAF

Also, not supporting download games at all until this issue is resolved.

I mean, it's stupid - the VC is just as "geeky" as people complaining about storage space.

List of things that take up space:

SSBB snapshots and videos (people who play SSBB are geeks and otakus)
Nintendo Channel (people who watch videos and dl demos are geeks and otakus)
Internet Channel (people who go on the Internet are geeks and otakus)
Everybody Votes Channel (people who vote are geeks and otakus)
Photo Channel (people who take pictures are geeks and otakus)
Weather Channel (people who look up the weather are geeks and otakus)
News Channel (people who read are geeks and otakus)
Mario Kart Wii Channel (people who play Mario Kart are geeks and otakus)
Mii Channel (people who make Miis are geeks and otakus)
Check Mii Out Channel (people who rate stuff are geeks and otakus)
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption Channel (metroid's a pretty cool guy?)
Wii Fit Channel (people who exercise are geeks and otakus)
Wii Shop Channel (people who buy are geeks and otakus)
Virtual Console games (people who play old games are geeks and otakus)
WiiWare games (people who play downloadable games are geeks and otakus)
Save data (people who play games are geeks and otakus)

So how many Wii owners aren't geeks and otakus?

I think Nintendo is really losing a good chunk of sales from this issues seems so retarded not to provide a storage solution.

I've been thinking Pirating and Software copying issue is the cause of this delay they may have not found a good way to secure the Wii with a harddrive

could be wrong but if there is no real reason stopping them this is a real stupid way to lose Sales

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Galactic Fork said:
It's not like NOA's responses have been any better, and I don't think NOJ(?) cares about it in the least.
I'm pretty sure NCL cares:
Iwata said:
Internal memory:
...Statistically speaking, it is true that there are a small number of customers who feel that the flash memory is too small, while many others find that they have plenty of memory. However, because this small number of people are none other than the most avid players, we know we have to review the best possible solution to eliminate their inconvenience..
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/080425qa/index.html

And they're the ones who run everything.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
I seriously don't understand how you guys are running into a problem. I thought I had a lot of VC games and saves and I've still got a hella lotta space left.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
On a side note, let's say nintendo did open up the USB port to HDDs or allowed games to start from the SD slot, would that allow wiiware makers make larger games? Or do you think Nintendo would force size limits so somebody without extra storage doesn't try to buy their first Wiiware game and see a big notice saying they'll need better storage?

jj984jj said:
I'm pretty sure NCL cares:

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/080425qa/index.html

And they're the ones who run everything.

I stand corrected, I know NCL runs everything (I couldn't remember the initials at the time), but I didn't know about that quote.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
*Sees NoE* Yes, of course, and Kirby Wii doesn't exist. Sorry, NoE's word is worth less to me then Nintendo of Korea.

Top Bottom