• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo's stance on Wii storage: only "geeks and otaku" want that addressed

JKBii

Miyamoto: I think the highlight of our marketing campaign should be WiiWare.
Exec: But what if somebody asks about the storage situation?
Fischer: Only geeks and otaku want that addressed.
All: (laughs)
Iwata: Onto the next point on the agenda. Renty, you had something you wanted to bring up.
Fischer: Uh, yes sir. When are we going to launch that 4 month old game in Europe?
Exec: Only Europeans want that addressed.

polyh3dron said:
Oh yeah, and when you discover that your WiiWare sales are really really low and you blame it on something else like the idea of downloadble games just not being popular, this will really be why your WiiWare games don't sell. Remember that.

They won't remember. This is the company who only sold Gamecube component cable on their website, then removed the component port from the console because "less than 1%" of owners were using it.

Durante

JKBii said:
Iwata: Onto the next point on the agenda. Renty, you had something you wanted to bring up.
Fischer: Uh, yes sir. When are we going to launch that 4 month old game in Europe?
:lol

JKBii said:

Perfect! :lol

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
OK, but what's his stance on the reams of VC games (and the NeoGeo in general) that no non-geeks have ever heard of?

CoilShot

Slavik81 said:
You people act as if NoE matters.
Only NoJ has any say.

I'm really wondering what NoJ is saying because NoE doesn't really matter(with what they say about the storage) but I still like to think so :lol

angelfly

When the sales start to suffer they'll start to care.

JKBii said:

:lol

darscot

Smiles and Cries said:
I think Nintendo is really losing a good chunk of sales from this issues seems so retarded not to provide a storage solution.

Are you serious? Are you referring to some other Nintendo? Have you looked at the financial statements. The "good chunk" they are losing is minuscule to them, which is why they are not concerned about this now. As soon as the solution cost make it financially viable they will do it and right now it clearly is not.

I've been thinking Nintendo really doesn't want people downloading games on masse (at least, not yet). Nintendo does things very, very deliberately. I'm trying to figure out where they're going with this one.

Jokeropia

akachan ningen said:
It's been obvious they don't care about the people who kept them afloat during the relatively rough times. But those same people keep celebrating Nintendo and holding out hope that Nintendo will give them something they want.
They ARE giving the fans what they want most (games), the only people who claim otherwise are haters who delude themselves in order to somehow feel better.

On topic, an Edge 190 paraphrase of a statement from some guy at NOE is hardly the best place to look for real information. Didn't Iwata make a comment recently to the effect of "while it is true that only a small minority are having problems with the amount of storage, this minority are among the biggest and most important fans"? Not that I expect anything soon.

M3wThr33

Banned
This is exactly why abandoning my GameCube was the right choice.

The introduction of the Slim PS2 was what broke my Nintendo fanboy ways. I just couldn't put up with their bullshit anymore. I'm more of a passive fan now.

mclem

HUELEN10 said:
Only 500?!?! HA!
4087f9d0.jpg

I WISH I had "only 500" blocks!
Delete middle row, rightmost. That'll get you a couple of hundred blocks, and save you pain.

HUELEN10

M3wThr33 said:

The introduction of the Slim PS2 was what broke my Nintendo fanboy ways. I just couldn't put up with their bullshit anymore. I'm more of a passive fan now.
See, I am not a fanboy myself, but most of what I want is on Ninty's consoles. Regardless of Company love or not, one can still be frustrate, heck nearly devastated by the BS.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
M3wThr33 said:

:lol What?
I've never seen such amazing butthurt as the like of Nintendo fans. You've got folk who seem to hate on Nintendo constantly then buy every single thing from them as if they are searching for some possible combination that makes some slight inconvenience that they can bitch about. It is uncanny.

Please, someone tell me how many VC/WiiWare games you have that fills it up. I'm at 12 I think and I consider that a hefty number. I'm not even close to filling it up.

darscot said:
Are you serious? Are you referring to some other Nintendo? Have you looked at the financial statements. The "good chunk" they are losing is minuscule to them, which is why they are not concerned about this now. As soon as the solution cost make it financially viable they will do it and right now it clearly is not.
we all know the DS and Wii prints YEN DOLLARS and EUROS but this storage issue does stop many fans from downloading a nice collection of VC and Wiiware games. I do think they are missing out on a massive source of sales

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
JKBii said:
Awesome.

Also, it's Nintendo of Europe, people. NINTENDO OF EUROPE.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Smiles and Cries said:
we all know the DS and Wii prints YEN DOLLARS and EUROS but this storage issue does stop many fans from downloading a nice collection of VC and Wiiware games. I do think they are missing out on a massive source of sales
Refuse to believe this.
If you're buying that many games, you're probably crying on the internet and then going back to your Wii, backing things up and buying more.

Christopher

akachan ningen said:
Some of us aren't happy playing shovelware and rehashes. If that works for you fine, but don't lump everyone together.

Damn that deserved a snap off

*snap*

What is an otaku??

RevenantKioku

akachan ningen said:
Some of us aren't happy playing shovelware and rehashes. If that works for you fine, but don't lump everyone together.
Then those people don't have Wii Storage issues! Hurrah!

darscot

akachan ningen said:
It's been obvious they don't care about the people who kept them afloat during the relatively rough times.

Rough times were do you guys come up with this stuff. When exactly were they sinking. They have sailed a ship made of money down a river of gold since the damn NES. Even when GAF cried they were doomed they still racked it in.

polyh3dron said:
Fine motherfuckers... My Wii's full and you won't be getting any money from me to buy your WiiWare shit.

Oh yeah, and when you discover that your WiiWare sales are really really low and you blame it on something else like the idea of downloadble games just not being popular, this will really be why your WiiWare games don't sell. Remember that.

I'm sure Nintendo knows this. They're obviously not looking for big sales:

Edge190 said:
First Nintendo will not be concentrating any significant marketing spend on the service - journalists attending Nintendo's preview event were told that it was their job to spread the word about WiiWare titles via reviews and other coverage.

I'm scratching my head. Nintendo clearly doesn't want to support direct download games yet, but then why start the service now in the first place? Could this be Nintendo's version of a "trial-run" or something that's there so they can say it's there? Hmm...

RevenantKioku said:
Refuse to believe this.
If you're buying that many games, you're probably crying on the internet and then going back to your Wii, backing things up and buying more.
So you are saying NoE is right?? :D

RagnarokX

CoilShot said:
Otak is a Japanese term used to refer to people with obsessive interests

from wiki
More specifically; people that spend most of their time at home. It's a derogatory slang for people with no social life. But it's also been embraced by people obsessed with hobbies like mangas.

Zophar

I've passed on buying a Wii three times since they've launched. The next time I come across one, I'd say it'll be a fourth.

I barely paid attention to Nintendo last generation, and ever since the Wii was unveiled I knew they weren't interested in revolutionizing gaming but rather winning over parents and girlfriends. With the exception of Mario Galaxy and Metroid Prime it seems that their first party efforts have slid backwards ever since the N64. Its things like these that really reaffirm that they have no interest in catering to their actual fanbase.

Not that I care much. I never held any loyalty for their products, though I still greatly enjoy and respect them. Plus, Sony and MS are doing a great job doing what their fans want.

HUELEN10

Mariah Carey said:
Why did you buy so many games? You can't possibly play all of them.
Yeah I can, and I have, and I did not buy many at all, maybe combine with WiiWare, 15 in total. The rest were gifts. 15 DLC games is not that much money.

CoilShot

Also just incase anyone forgot about this...

Iwata with Wii Storage Problems...

“Statistically speaking, it is true that there are a small number of customers who feel that the flash memory is too small, while many others find that they have plenty of memory. However, because this small number of people are none other than the most avid players, we know we have to review the best possible solution to eliminate their inconvenience.”

HUELEN10

CoilShot said:
Also just incase anyone forgot about this...

Iwata with Wii Storage Problems...

“Statistically speaking, it is true that there are a small number of customers who feel that the flash memory is too small, while many others find that they have plenty of memory. However, because this small number of people are none other than the most avid players, we know we have to review the best possible solution to eliminate their inconvenience.”
But is it just false hope? Nobody knows and that is what annoys me the most.

RevenantKioku

Smiles and Cries said:
So you are saying NoE is right?? :D
They can't be that far off. :lol
I'm not saying Nintendo is infallible, but they tend to make right business decisions. The mass whining of the nerdage is just that. Freshly made whine from people who have no idea what they fuck they're talking about. The "I WILL BRING NINTENDO DOWN BY NOT BUYING ANYMORE GAMES AFTER I ALREADY BOUGHT MORE GAMES THAN THE AVERAGE CUSTOMER EVER WILL!" attitude is just laughable.

darscot said:
Rough times were do you guys come up with this stuff. When exactly were they sinking. They have sailed a ship made of money down a river of gold since the damn NES. Even when GAF cried they were doomed they still racked it in.

Read properly. I said RELATIVELY rough times. I know they've always made money but there was a time where they were getting killed by Sony in sales, and they tried new things to compete.

I'm actually glad this was brought up.

I'm sick of all the younger gamers these days (and some of the older ones) who don't know/or forget how tyrannical Nintendo was in the day. They made Sony look like angels in all honesty.

They haven't really changed.

Nintendo is basically Mr.Burns in the Lil' Lisa Slurry Episode.

RevenantKioku said:
They can't be that far off. :lol
I'm not saying Nintendo is infallible, but they tend to make right business decisions. The mass whining of the nerdage is just that. Freshly made whine from people who have no idea what they fuck they're talking about. The "I WILL BRING NINTENDO DOWN BY NOT BUYING ANYMORE GAMES AFTER I ALREADY BOUGHT MORE GAMES THAN THE AVERAGE CUSTOMER EVER WILL!" attitude is just laughable.

Have you ever noticed just how gosh darn disagreeable you are? Maybe like... always?

fhco

RevenantKioku said:
Refuse to believe this.

This just isn't true. We've already established that it doesn't take a ridiculous amount of content to fill up the drive, channels and saves included. I ran out of space about five months ago, and my Wii has literally been unplugged since (I took it down to send it in for the GPU repair, but I don't even have the motivation to do that :\ ). I didn't have that much content, and I had spent less than $100 on the VC, which is the equivalent of two Wii games. My interest in buying DLC from Nintendo ended when I ran out of storage, and I know I'm not alone. The problem will only get worse on a larger scale with more people, but the question is will enough people be affected by it for Nintendo to do something about it. Anyway we're all just repeating ourselves at this point; like I said before, my interest in the console will be renewed when they fix this, but until then I don't even feel like boxing the thing up to get it fixed.

Nintendo's interpretation is wrong. Only geeks and otaku are vocal about the need for storage space to be addressed, but the desire is felt by anyone who has filled their internal storage.

Top Bottom