• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo's VGX reveal is fucking Cranky Kong!!!

explodet

Has the OT title for this game been decided yet?
I'll be disappointed if it isn't "The Fucking Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze OT".

You're right, I'm not arguing that. But there's no reason a company such as Nintendo should have been outshined by that. Officially reveal Cranky through a Direct and save a major announcement for VGX.

a company such as Nintendo was treating VGX like jack shit.

like every other company was.

Darryl

Banned
In the grand scheme of things, Cranky Kong was still one of the best announcements at the show now that it's almost over. This show turned out pretty awful and there's hardly anybody even watching it from what I can tell.

FOR FUCK SAKE, THEY COULD HAVE GOT PRETTY MUCH ANY OF THEIR SHITTY STUDIOS MAKING TROPICAL FREEZE.

HOW ARE PEOPLE STILL NOT GETTING THIS?
Because you still haven't remotely articulated why this logic couldn't be applied to any IP getting a sequel by their main studio and sound just as hysterical. Screaming in all-caps isn't a very compelling argument.

SONY COULD HAVE GOT PRETTY MUCH ANY OF THEIR SHITTY STUDIOS MAKING UNCHARTED 4

NINTENDO COULD HAVE GOT PRETTY MUCH ANY OF THEIR SHITTY STUDIOS MAKING 3D WORLD

Conor 419

Banned
If any studio can make another Donkey Kong is it not possible that any studio can make another Metroid with Nintendo's guidance?

Or they can just outsource it.
Didn't have a problem doing that with Other M.

To be fair, I imagine this is the case.

Still, a studio like FeelPlus on Tropical Freeze and then Retro on something new, is a better case scenario in my opinion.

That or Retro just lack the technical strength we think they have.

Because you still haven't remotely articulated why this logic couldn't be applied to any IP getting a sequel by their main studio and sound just as hysterical. Screaming in all-caps isn't a very compelling argument.

Well Nintendo produce a lot of 2D platformers? We've seen NSMB and the new Yarn Yoshi, Do Nintendo have any other studio which routinely produces first person adventure games?

Mik317

Because Sony and Microsoft have nothing to prove. They don't consistently drop the ball like Nintendo does. Their fans are, for the most part, pretty happy.

No. It;s because this show is smalltime.

The fuck is with people thinking this is a big deal...the level of "reveals" show that.

Look I wanted Smash to show up. I also think having another 2d platformer as your big draw is a bad idea. I just don't get why people are acting like it doomsday for Nintendo because they didn't go all out for the fucking VGX. Like they won't have other chances to reveal shit.

It is very painful to read Nintendo threads because while there are tons of things they do wrong and should fix, people are often let down and mad over things they really shouldn't be and honestly only have themselves to blame for.

This is the goddam VGXs guys. Not E3. Cranky Kong might actually be too good for tonight's show at this rate.

Crank Kong turned out to be one of the biggest reveals outside Telltale and Indie games. Nothing major was revealed at all for any of the big publishers.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
In the grand scheme of things, Cranky Kong was still one of the best announcements at the show now that it's almost over. This show turned out pretty awful and there's hardly anybody even watching it from what I can tell.

And that really says a lot. Hell, Cranky Kong was trending for a while on Twitter. Only No Man's Sky got the same attention. I think that says it all.

SpecDotSign

Unconfirmed Member
Show isn't over yet. Maybe Nintendo pulls a stealth move and announces something to close the sh..oh who am I kidding?lol
Man, these Nintendo threads on Gaf are the best meltdown threads in all of the Internet. I LOVE it. *grabs popcorn*
Popcorn.gif
Disgunbgood.gif
Banderas.gif

AniHawk

While I understand that they planned these things a certain way, it definitely was confusing they way they signaled everything. Holding back launch titles and all that didn't help.

i think something weird happened in december 2012 for nintendo to announce games that wouldn't be out for well over a year, and delay all of their launch window titles to the next fiscal year. i have no idea what that was, but nintendo almost never just shows off games that are a good 18+ months away unless they wind up delaying them, like twilight princess.

the one thing i do feel they should have done is try and actually pretend they were launching the system in 2013. they had the games by then, but they just kinda kept on trucking until november when they finally let people know a new mario was around and that the wii u was a thing.

No. It;s because this show is smalltime.

The fuck is with people thinking this is a big deal...the level of "reveals" show that.

Look I wanted Smash to show up. I also think having another 2d platformer as your big draw is a bad idea. I just don't get why people are acting like it doomsday for Nintendo because they didn't go all out for the fucking VGX. Like they won't have other chances to reveal shit.

It is very painful to read Nintendo threads because while there are tons of things they do wrong and should fix, people are often let down and mad over things they really shouldn't be and honestly only have themselves to blame for.

This is the goddam VGXs guys. Not E3. Cranky Kong might actually be too good for tonight's show at this rate.

I just think Nintendo is on a path of irrelevancy and should take full advantage of every opportunity they are given. Even if it is something as "smalltime" as the VGX.

Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze has me more excited than anything else shown tonight.

Game looks great. Anyone giving Nintendo a hard time is doing just that..

Yonafunu

Just watch Reggie come out at the end of the show with another fucking Donkey Kong trailer, beat up Joel with a walking stick, grab Geoff's face with both hands and look into his eyes intensely for 3 full minutes while making loud licking sounds, before jumping out the window screaming #PLAYTHEGAME

CrisKre

We all knew it was gonna be this. Come on!

that said, it was truly the best showing the game has had yet. The gameplay looked on point, cranky seems to add a lot of gameplay variety, and this is probably the most exposure the game has gotten since it's reveal.

JawzPause

I just want to know what was going through Nintendo's heads with this one. This really does prove that Nintendo have their head up their ass.

But those other companies have nothing to prove right now. Nintendo does.

so, double standards. not every single appearance has to be some mind-blowing reveal, especially when their appearance is at an awards show other major companies seem to barely give a shit about. if they show up to something that's actually IMPORTANT like E3 with jack shit, go ahead. but this? this is VGX. the most impressive thing was from a four-man indie team. everyone's just rushing to cover their asses because they hyped themselves up for an appearance at a show that ended up being a joke.

Yuterald

So, who's on top of filtering all sounds out of that Bramble Scramble footage so we can hear Sticker Brush Symphony remix?

Nintendo has fucking lost it. I hope the EAD teams are as far isolated as possible from general management decisions because this is a travesty.

KHlover

Banned
Fuck Amazon for leaking. This thread would have been so much better if Cranky was a real surprise...I don't think GAF would have survived the hate.

Nibel

At first I thought this was hilarious

But if you've seen the rest of the show, you get the feeling that a Cranky reveal is what it deserves

i think something weird happened in december 2012 for nintendo to announce games that wouldn't be out for well over a year, and delay all of their launch window titles to the next fiscal year. i have no idea what that was, but nintendo almost never just shows off games that are a good 18+ months away unless they wind up delaying them, like twilight princess.

the one thing i do feel they should have done is try and actually pretend they were launching the system in 2013. they had the games by then, but they just kinda kept on trucking until november when they finally let people know a new mario was around and that the wii u was a thing.

I think when Nintendo kept going "Making HD games is WAY HARDER than we thought it was going to be," they specifically were talking about Mario Kart and Pikmin.

What exactly does Nintendo have to prove to the VGX crowd?
Bingo.

Nintendo had one of only two (?) games showcased at this entire event that wasn't about murder.

So as much as I don't like Donkey Kong Country, I'm kind of glad they showed it.

Although Reggie wearing a Metroid pin and then mentioning Metroid for NO REAL REASON was just cruel. My poor heart.

Asd202

Is it just me or the game looks bad? I mean Rayman Legends looks and plays much better from what I saw in the trailers.

At first I thought this was hilarious

But if you've seen the rest of the show, you get the feeling that a Cranky reveal is what it deserves
I mean, it was mostly 'why the fuck did Nintendo show this', but considering it was trending at number 2 on Twitter Nintendo at least got some recognition in a show that really only focused on the XB1/PS4. That's better than the wet fart in terms of recognition you'd assume they'd get on a show like this, I guess.

so, double standards. not every single appearance has to be some mind-blowing reveal, especially when their appearance is at an awards show other major companies seem to barely give a shit about. if they show up to something that's actually IMPORTANT like E3 with jack shit, go ahead. but this? this is VGX. the most impressive thing was from a four-man indie team.

I'm not disagreeing with you about what VGX is. While Sony or Microsoft might not see that show as a big deal I don't feel like Nintendo has that luxury at the moment. They should make a big announcement that others would wait for an event like E3 to do. They are never to going to reach that nine million, or whatever number it is, by showing something as underwhelming as a single character.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
You're conveniently ignoring inflation rates.

(Wii U starting price should be $300 as was the basic model, not 350)
arstechnica-inflation-chart.png

Wii U is around the same price or lower than Wii (at $200) would be at if you subtract the included $50-80 games packaged (depending on bundle).

I'm sorry but that's bullshit. On top of that, was there even a Wii SKU in 2010 or prior that was available without a pack-in game? There are so many other factors as to why Wii was attractive in 2010 compared to Wii now.

It's about building a library and DKC appeals to both the core with its difficulty/level design and casual players with its brand.

Metroid is by in large a platformer with shooting elements. The Prime games are the only outliers and even those can be categorized as a first person platformer depending on who you ask.

This is also bullshit if you're trying to make some connection that Donkey Kong and Metroid Prime are both at their core similar games. They're completely different experiences. Mario and DKC have much more in common that DK and Metroid and especially Metroid Prime.

Mik317

Nintendo has a lot to fix and all that sure.

But having to prove themselves at the fukcing VGX is such bullshit.

Goddam this is making me angry...so I'm out.

Its pretty annoying that people are angry after it being obvious what this would be, and then acting like this show is anything important.

fucking hell

steveovig

Nintendo really has their heads up their asses. Microsoft and Sony are busy unveiling Infamous, Destiny, etc. for their consoles and Nintendo reveals Cranky Kong. Shouldn't they be unveiling Zelda or something? Give the fans a little hope.

AniHawk

I think when Nintendo kept going "Making HD games is WAY HARDER than we thought it was going to be," they specifically were talking about Mario Kart and Pikmin.

yeah and it seems they found out kinda late- pulling a small team from a link between worlds apart back in late 2010 because they needed everybody, even if it was just three guys.

i get the feeling the wii u was supposed to hit in late 2011, and stuff like skyward sword would have been out sometime around march. the tech was probably there, but the games weren't.

i have no idea how they could have had mario kart 8 out this year when 7 had been rushed to the market though. however i get the feeling that an april or may release is more likely than march at this point. i think their goal would be to have it out before the end of the fiscal year, but i don't think it's going to make it.

NotLiquid

Nintendo really has their heads up their asses. Microsoft and Sony are busy unveiling Infamous, Destiny, etc. for their consoles and Nintendo reveals Cranky Kong. Shouldn't they be unveiling Zelda or something? Give the fans a little hope.

I didn't see any Infamous on this show.

Top Bottom