• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh Last Chance Trial Thread: It's your last chance, seriously.

lawnchair

Banned
The comments in the very video you linked state that it's a controller issue, so no need to not buy the game, just get a new controller.

edit: seems like you edited your post out

hahaha, this is why i quickly edited my post. i haven't had a chance to try my other controller out. the thing is that my controllers work fine in every other game i own. i don't know if this game is worth shelling out $50 on a new ds4 to play. it seems like it may be a controller "issue" but i don't have this issue in any other game i play.. which makes it more of a Nioh issue, unfortunately for me.

glaurung

OK, completed the trial now and got my unlocks. The chain-hook-spinny thingie turned out to be my absolute favorite, despite not getting any good drops for it.

The start was brutal. Only once you unlock some skills and magic does it let up. And the more I played, the easier it got. Never too easy, but way more manageable. Pushing the two dudes into deep water was my favorite too.

Will pre-order the deluxe PSN version next week.

Almost done. Like 3/4.

Even less if you don't want to explore.
Cool, I actually don't want to explore too much as this is already a day 1 purchase for me. Just playing for that sweet, sweet headgear.

Edit, I asked this once before but no response:
If I don't have the Mark of the Conquer add-on on my PS4, but it shows up on the PSN website, am I still screwed?

Cool, I actually don't want to explore too much as this is already a day 1 purchase for me. Just playing for that sweet, sweet headgear.

Then yeah you're pretty much done, just left the boss :)

Do we get specific armor for the basic pre-order?

Yes, both the temple Guardian armor set and Yukimura Sanada's armor set.

Edit, I asked this once before but no response:
If I don't have the Mark of the Conquer add-on on my PS4, but it shows up on the PSN website, am I still screwed?

I think it's an NA issue that they're working on. Sorry we don't have an answer for that yet.

Like a homeward bone? Will those shrine things allow you to quick travel in the full game?.

Unlikely, given how absurdly tiny the levels already are. There is one for going back to the level select screen, and another for going back to the last shrine rested at. Obviously both of the permanent items sacrifice your amrita in the process. Then there's the (very rare) versions that do so without carried amrita loss.

I beat the Ogress after 20ish deaths. I had no issues when I kept close to her except when she does that frenzy attack. I would be dead before the combo finished.

What helped me get through that fight was unlocking the skill "after a combo, ki pulse would be triggered by dodging" for the low stance. This helped a lot so I didn't have to fumble trying to time the R1. Dodging was exactly what I was doing after a combo anyway. Free Ki! Couple that with the skill "extra damage boost when completing a ki pulse", I was doing good damage. I just bailed the up close battle when I got her down to 1/4 to avoid that nasty frenzy attack.

RedFury

There's some really cool/unique details. You can overheat the spiked demon Yokai with fire damage and they'll explode.
Is that what fucking happend!? That was my first twilight minion. I made short work he felt so easy on last hit he fell to his knees and exploded OHK me...I had to take a break after that. Yes, I imbued my sword with fire (thought I had lightning equipped).

careksims

Damn co-op Twilight Missions are just soo good! I can't wait to play in 2 weeks with my buddy, I also like the tons of loot you get. Feels like Diablo in a way.

Fandangox

Still can't get The Mark of The Conqueror, saying its unavailable. Did anyone that had the same message managed to get it after trying a few times?

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
how do you do the ki pulse thing where you get your ki back?

Treat it like active reload in Gears of War. Watch your stamina bar and hit R1 after you are done attacking when the segmented off part of your stamina bar that you used for the prior combo/attack refills. The other visual cue is the blue sparks that appear around your character after you're done attacking and shrink down into your character. You can eventually buy the ability to dodge instead of hitting R1 at the same time and it will do the ki pulse. There is also a purchasable ability that lets you do it on stance changing as well. Its essential to learn as it makes the bosses and tougher enemies a lot easier to manage.

how do you respond to the high five? All my co op sessions end like this:

TnAlkgj.gif

I've been left hanging literally 6 times in total by now haha.

I mean shit, I feel like some of us should password co-op JUST to record ourselves doing high fives at this point, it's like a unicorn...

I really don't understand the complaints about Ogress' jump attack being impossible to dodge a few pages back. The dodge windows are entirely different than Souls in case that's what's troubling people maybe? You need to dodge to her extreme sides or preferably back essentially which isn't that difficult with some practice.

Is that what fucking happend!? That was my first twilight minion. I made short work he felt so easy on last hit he fell to his knees and exploded OHK me...I had to take a break after that. Yes, I imbued my sword with fire (thought I had lightning equipped).

Sounds like it. I discovered it by accident and you only need 2 of the weaker bombs to kill it. Would've made my first twilight run much easier haha

Damn co-op Twilight Missions are just soo good! I can't wait to play in 2 weeks with my buddy, I also like the tons of loot you get. Feels like Diablo in a way.

Yeah. Given how loot-centric the game is, that appears to be what they're going for: Diablo Souls.

Can you parry?

if you buy the skill for the weapon, sure.

I really don't understand the complaints about Ogress' jump attack being impossible to dodge a few pages back. The dodge windows are entirely different than Souls in case that's what's troubling people maybe? You need to dodge to her extreme sides or preferably back essentially which isn't that difficult with some practice.
Almost every attack of hers can be completely dodged if you simply walk into her warm bosom.

This includes her low hp multihit rage attack. And the jump attack (although this is safer if you aint using lock-on, otherwise you might walk right back into range)

Deku Tree

After the beta I was thinking I would buy day 1.

After the last chance beta I'm not sure if I will buy day 1.

Hopefully they don't have a release day review embargo.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Does anyone know what each of the elemental status effects does once they are fully procced?
I'd like to know this too. Lighting slows them down briefly, it seems.

Deserverd, everything you've said it's true.
No, it's really not.

Tachibana is probably the least fun fight since Orphan of Kos
Tachibana is straight bullshit
Can't agree. One of the best fights in any video game ever.

Yeah, Tachibana spooked me. Will wait for sale.
Alright I beat the Ogress after probably 20 tries, I felt great and then I have to fight Tachibana and I haven't even got him below 90% after 30 tries.

I'm so pissed I want to seriously cancel my pre-order. He is not fun at all to fight, and I was more than happy to throw attempts at Ogress and I've played every single souls game to completion. No fun at all.

Seriously? It's an optional side-boss... you can just return there when you're stronger.

Sure, Tachibana is not easy and has a good amount of HP, but there's nothing cheap about the fight, in my opinion that is. He plays by the same rules the player does. He does have moves than can overpower you, but so do you. If you don't want a sword fight, it's easier to overpower him with dual swords or axes/hammers. There are talismans that can make the fight easier, the lifeseal talisman for example, which reduces enemy ki recovery
Exactly!

LOL you pretty much just described a souls game.

People saying this doesnt heavily borrow from souls are just kidding themselves. The game is good but as usual GAF over inflate it and talk all kinds of crap when someone says something negative.
I won't deny the Souls inspiration myself but... what negatives?

Pointless?

It extends combos and makes this more aggressive than Souls.
Yeah it's amazing that people miss the point of the ki system so bad. Might as well say Demon's Souls was dumb because it had a "pointless stamina system".

Sorry to say that's not the case. There nothing satisfying about this boss, nothing to "get." There will be no sense of accomplishment when he is defeated like there was in Bloodborne and dark souls 3. Bosses in those games made sense.
How does he not make sense? He plays by the same rules as you. And yes there's an incredible sense of accomplishment when you do beat him.

I am utter trash at this game. My 37 year old ass can't handle this insane combat. Sucks getting old):
I'm only a few years younger but I do just fine. Stop making excuses :p

My own feelings about the game aside, this isn't much of a response to any criticism. Do better.
Criticism like... "this is artificial difficulty" without qualifiers?

Muneshige is relatively easier in this demo than in the beta.

In this demo the recommended level is 13 and most players would be higher than that after defeating the Kijo.

In the beta demo the recommended level is 50 and most players would only be 35 when they unlock that mission lol. Every one of his combo would instant kill you, his quickdraw is a death sentence if you misread it ^^;
Are you sure? He seemed harder, or I was lower level maybe. When I tried him at the recommended level he was insanely hard, but I came back after doing the twilight mission at level like, 25 and he was still challenging, but manageable.

IIRC in the beta the rec level was 25 but I could be wrong...

After the beta I was thinking I would buy day 1.

After the last chance beta I'm not sure if I will buy day 1.

Hopefully they don't have a release day review embargo.

Reviewers are going to fucking love it.

Nah, it's not a bad game or anything. It seems like it's mostly very well-made. I just don't think it's for me after having played 4 Souls games and Bloodborne on top of that. I just need a break from the formula.

Syntsui

Tachibana doesn't play by the same rules as the player because he can dodge with no stamina, that is the only acceptable complaint about this incredible fight. As I said, one of the best I've ever experienced in a game.

HStallion

I'm kind of hoping there are several other boss fights like Tachibane where its just a very tough human opponent.

Really dumb question here but...Is there any way to parry? I played through the tutorial but reading this thread, it's clear there's a lot of details that aren't explain (triangle + circle for example)

Syntsui

I'm pretty sure leveling has been rebalanced compared to th other beta, so comparing recommended level is pointless. Also, had much more difficulty with this Tachibana fight than the other one, so even if nothing really changed, I just can't agree it got easier.

HStallion

Really dumb question here but...Is there any way to parry? I played through the tutorial but reading this thread, it's clear there's a lot of details that aren't explain (triangle + circle for example)

You have to unlock it. Its mid stance only I believe.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Tachibana doesn't play by the same rules as the player because he can dodge with no stamina, that is the only acceptable complaint about this incredible fight. As I said, one of the best I've ever experienced in a game.

But he can't ki pulse or use elixirs. Seems like a fair trade-off.

Syntsui

You can parry if you buy the skill for it. There is one with R1 + Square and one with R1 + Triangle.

he can dodge without stamina
has infinite elec talismans
his pikadog isn't on a god damn timer AND changes behaviour according to tachi's hp

Otoh he sure does fall to the ground if you plug him in the head. And most of his attacks can be parried. So there's that.

select home base on the map
select dojo
play advanced tutorial

WHY the game doesn't suggest doing the advanced tutorial as soon as you complete the basic one, i'll never know.

There are two tutorials. Select Dojo from the Starting Point on the map and you should see another. It goes over more things. (Though not skills or magic)

j0hnnix

I'm pretty sure leveling has been rebalanced compared to th other beta, so comparing recommended level is pointless. Also, had much more difficulty with this Tachibana fight than the other one, so even if nothing really changed, I just can't agree it got easier.

his pikadog isn't on a god damn timer AND changes behaviour according to tachi's hp

Otoh he sure does fall to the ground if you plug him in the head. And most of his attacks can be parried. So there's that.

select home base on the map
select dojo
play advanced tutorial

WHY the game doesn't suggest doing the advanced tutorial as soon as you complete the basic one, i'll never know.

Tachibana definitely played against the rules, the design could be tweaked a little, he hits like a tank and rips you apart for any mistake, I was amazed how I capitalized on his delay before he killed me. I'm interested to see how the other bosses are and if they are designed in the same manner.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Tachibana definitely played against the rules, the design could be tweaked a little, he hits like a tank and rips you apart for any mistake, I was amazed how I capitalized on his delay before he killed me. I'm interested to see how the other bosses are and if they are designed in the same manner.

That's not breaking the rules, that's just him being higher level :p I just think the level recommendation of 13 is way too low, it should be 20 at least.

Actually there is a tutorial for it.

I'm betting most of you guys didn't check the dojo after you're done with the first one but there is a second tutorial lesson which teaches you range weapons, using items, and the living weapons.

You also get the wooden axe.

Syntsui

But let's be honest, it's great it works that way. If the fight respected all the laws applied to the player it would be extremely easy, to the point of being trivial considering how easy to abuse it would be.

In the end, rebalancing is needed to make the fight interesting. There are already the revenant if you guys want "by the books" fights. All of which can be cheesed.

Relique

It's been a while since a game grabbed my attention so well. I've replayed each mission a few times now and have spent a lot of hours on it the past 2 days. This really feels like it will end up one of my favorite games of all time.

I am pretty horrible but I am glad I stuck with it and learned some important mechanics that will help me in the main game. I have still not perfected the system but I will work on it when the full game comes out. It's crazy seeing the difference between my first and last tachibana attemps. It seemed impossible at first until I killed him without taking any damage. I am disappointed so many are skipping the game based on that fight.

I am loving the sheer number of options and customizations in this game. It seems you can make a complete build around one random weapon drop and that is so cool. My only concern right now is the small number of weapon classes but the different stances should keep it interesting enough.

Tips on beating the twilight mission? I've done the other two missions and I'm level 16 and just got my ass handed to me.

Kill some of those red pile revenants in the beginning of the area to get some higher level items. That helped me jump in power levels considerably. Also many of the yokai are weak to elemental damage, so get some ninjutsu scrolls or kill the elemental flying head demons to power up the weapon.

Top Bottom