• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh New Screenshots Master Trainers

Source: http://www.dualshockers.com/2017/01...-revealing-villains-williams-masters-famitsu/

Villains said:
Edward Kelley, who came from a distant foreign land like the portagonist William. He wears black clothes and he is proficient in alchemy. He makes use of lesser demons and is able to raise dead human bodies. He interferes with the wars of the Sengoku era for some mysterious purpose.

Yasuke is a samurai of African origins wearing a jet black armor on his extraordinarily large body. His identity is mysterious, but he appears to confront William in order to fulfill Kelley’s plans. He used to serve Oda Nobunaga, who gave him his Japanese name.

Guardian Spirit and Onmyouji trainer said:
Tenkai Is a monk, onmyodo teacher and practitioner of the Tendai sect of Esoteric Buddhism. He wields great power in the art of guardian spirits. He is very concerned about Kelly’s misuse of his powers, and will lend William is aid against him.

Fuku is s disciple of Tenkai, and a female Onmyodo teacher. She is powerful in ssummoning spirits, and she sees through William’s ability, which is why she takes him under her wing to teach him her art.

Spear and Katana Trainer said:
Hōzōin In’ei is a monk belonging to the Kofukuji temple in Nara. Inspired by the shape of the crfescent moon reflected on the water’s surface, he developed a cross-shaped spear with a sickle blade on each side. His art is very different from the usual spear fighting style used by other warriors.

Yagyu Sekishusai is a swordsman who lives only to practice the way of the sword. He mastered the martial school named Skinkage-ryu through severe training including fighting against Tengu. He often challenges travelers for a round by taking away their weapon with bare hands.

So for all those locked abilities in the latest demo, As the player advances through the story, he will be able to perform “mentor missions” in the training grounds, to learn techniques from the greatest masters of the time.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
Yasuke is a samurai of African origins wearing a jet black armor on his extraordinarily large body. His identity is mysterious, but he appears to confront William in order to fulfill Kelley’s plans. He used to serve Oda Nobunaga, who gave him his Japanese name.
BRONX MAN! GET IN HERE!

Shit, Yasuke looks like a badass. I am pleasantly surprised to see him added to the game, Yasuke's history is really interesting.

Mana Sin

This game is looking more interesting every time I see it. The trial was great. I really need to pre-order it soon.

Espada

Good lord, this new info just made the way even harder! Goddamn, it looks like those mentor missions will be the way that you earn the Titles talked about in the Last Chance Trial.

Baalzebup

Can this game get any better?
Still need that duel vs young Miyamoto Musashi. He still isn't quite at the master swordsman age at the time the game takes place, but by all accounts he was already active.

The mastery system was kinda on display already in the Beta. Your character screen had mentions of your masterly level on each of those different weapon types + Ninjutsu & Onmyodou, but now we have names and faces on those trainers, as well the explanation on how to acquire said masteries.

Fandangox

That doesn't help :\

It takes after Dark Souls, but the main thing that sets them apart is that in this game there's a much bigger emphasis on combat and managing the stamina (Ki) bar. There is a mechanic that allows you to refill some of your spent stamina if you time a button press well, so the idea is to combine that and the various assortment of moves you get to get the most out of combat.

There was a thread here with a "Combo" video that shows someone showing off with the various mechanics available in the beta, you'll pretty much see how different it is from souls.

The atmosphere, enemy placement, summoning mechanics, and how leveling works is what is closer to souls, but even then there's big differences in how the level design is approached. Souls has all the different areas be part of the main overworld and are connected, while in Nioh the levels are separated by different stages you can select from a map, making each level more compact.

silva1991

dualshockers isn't abnned anymore? cool.

O love panda and turtle spirits :D

I wonder if there will be dragon spirit.

So why are people excited for this game? Just looks like a dark souls-like to me. (going off initial reveal)

New IP with a new and exciting combat with so much depth.

No combat isn't like Souls and that's a major reason why I'm excited for it, because I'm tired of souls atm.

I dunno man, it seems to be doing some interesting combat stuff, but at a glance it still looks like mostly dark souls :p Will wait for the OT and see if it interests me.

It's like Dark Souls at a Low Skill Level and Closer to Ninja Gaiden at a High Skill level.

Fandangox

It's like Dark Souls at a Low Skill Level and Closer to Ninja Gaiden at a High Skill level.

It might be too early to tell, but that's kind of what it looks like, when one learns all the tools the game gives you it suddenly becomes a whoooole different thing.

Someone's gotta do something like this for Nioh

SFvm3Nm.gif

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
I dunno man, it seems to be doing some interesting combat stuff, but at a glance it still looks like mostly dark souls :p Will wait for the OT and see if it interests me.

In case you're interested I think this video is way more helpful.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fp04chA_DFE
It gives explanation about all the combat mechanics if you're interested.

It's fairly indepth so it might bore. But I think it gives off a better idea about how the game is different. At least it's more thorough than the style focused(as in the guy is just trying to be incredibly flashy with how much depth the game has and gimping himself to do less dmg so he can pull of the combos without enemies dying on him) showcase that was posted before.

Dremorak

Banned
In case you're interested I think this video is way more helpful.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fp04chA_DFE
It gives explanation about all the combat mechanics if you're interested.

It's fairly indepth so it might bore. But I think it gives off a better idea about how the game is different. At least it's more thorough than the style focused(as in the guy is just trying to be incredibly flashy with how much depth the game has and gimping himself to do less dmg so he can pull of the combos without enemies dying on him) showcase that was posted before.

I was looking for in-depth! Will give it a look. Thanks!

Top Bottom