• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh |OT| Stamina is Ki

Status
Not open for further replies.

Izuna

Banned
That fight is awesome, one of my favorites if not the favorite, felt like a DoA fight,
Kasmui or Ayane
lol.

There's a Dojo version.

Sadly I think later bosses are somewhat broken. Any attack that does initial Ki damage doesn't get deflected, ever. You can repeated do Heaven Flash and constantly get the hit/drain their Ki.

It works for every humanoid post-Region 5 even on NG+

Zen and Sword are One is how humanoids should have been going forward but sadly there are only like 3 bosses that don't lose to spamming the same attack.

I think it's a bug.

Beat Umi-Bozu after my fourth try. Honestly wasn't that bad of a boss as some people on here made him out to be. First two times I fell in the water, third time he got me with his beam of doooooom. His tentacles are extremely easy to avoid if you're at close range, which I was for the majority of the fight. Don't be scared to get up in his face. I continually swiped away at him while keeping my ki charged with ki pulse, and stepped to the side when he threw debris at me or used that one hit KO beam move. Second part of the fight I just played ring around the rosie and hit the shiny mole on the head whenever it popped up. Easy-peasy.

Stay close to him, guys. He can't hit you with the double tentacles attack if you're all up in his grill. You'll only need to evade to the opposite side when he readies for a single tentacle attack. Fighting him from afar only makes the fight more difficult than it needs to be.

Yeah, that was surprisingly easy for me too. On my first three tries, it seems that it has huge pool of HP, and I died by the surprise beam attack and fell in the water. Then I learned that I can actually imbue my weapon with fire from the bonfires. The battle became much easier with it, and it's down to the 2nd phase in just a couple of full combo or so. And indeed, fighting it closely is the key. I didn't have to wait for his tentacle attack to hit it, just chase it and hit from up close. Waiting for its tentacle attacks from afar takes too much time, and more risky.

Yu Narukami

Change to Attack (Skill) A+ is better than Heart for a Katana? How? I can only see it being better if you upgrade your Skill more than Heart.

JJShadow

I've finally overcome my Diogenes syndrome and just dismantled most of my weapons and pieces of armor, I have only kept 5-10 of each. Now I'm drowning in mats and I don't know what to forge lol

Yeah, that was surprisingly easy for me too. On my first three tries, it seems that it has huge pool of HP, and I died by the surprise beam attack and fell in the water. Then I learned that I can actually imbue my weapon with fire from the bonfires. The battle became much easier with it, and it's down to the 2nd phase in just a couple of full combo or so. And indeed, fighting it closely is the key. I didn't have to wait for his tentacle attack to hit it, just chase it and hit from up close. Waiting for its tentacle attacks from afar takes too much time, and more risky.

I realised that you can do this just after beating him, those sweet 20 minutes I spent could have been much shorter lol

Izuna

Banned
Wrong quote? Cause for me it didnt made sense. xD Unless he got some hidden stuff after 30+ dungballs

Sorry I meant to quote the guy above.

Change to Attack (Skill) A+ is better than Heart for a Katana? How? I can only see it being better if you upgrade your Skill more than Heart.

It it's the same if the stats are max I'm assuming. But yeah, Heart would be better in most cases. It's just so rare I've never seen it.

I guess because you already get a Heart scaling as base in the weapon?. You are gonna reach hardcap at some point in Heart, you could use those points in other stat and if your weapon has another A+ in other stat you get higher return for each point.

Without knowing how weapon scaling works and all, but I asume that's the logic

crimilde

Banned
Ha! Y
uki-Onna
's finally down. Took me around 5-6 tries. She surprisingly gave me less trouble than H
ino-enma
, that one went on for faaar too long. Gosh that feels so good. I love this game.

Rizzi

I feel like someone should have informed me of how cool axes were. My low stance has a throw if I deplete an enemies ki with a heavy finisher on a light combo, and that is awesome.

ISee

How many regions are there and at what level are people finishing the game? I've hit region 3 yesterday and lvl 48 already feels extremely high.
Also I'm at work atm and all I can think of is Nioh. I'm even thinking about getting a pro because framerate on the base Modell isn't stable at all, but getting it just for one game is a so unreasonable.

Sanctuary

I think It's in additon to what it already uses. In the case of the Katana, it had a D+ in skill scaling already, and it becomes an A+ instead. For weapons that have no scaling, pretty sure that would add it.

CeePhour

Banned
Finally convinced me to cave, $80 down... aaaand sweet mother of fuck, why the hell can't this have fully customizable controls? Why is this still always an oversight? :(

ISee

Finally convinced me to cave, $80 down... aaaand sweet mother of fuck, why the hell can't this have fully customizable controls? Why is this still always an oversight? :(

You can do it, Sony added full button costumization in the OS with an update a while ago.

Also: welcome to the family son.

CeePhour

Banned
You can do it, Sony added full button costumization directly to OS with an update a while ago.

Also: welcome to the family son.

Yeah but it fucks with everything, not just the one game that has asinine controls.Swapping X and O are a minimum in this for me. Of course I'm trying to get it a bit more "souls-y". It also needs to be fast and easy to revert when it's R6:S and RE7 time (actually, if it retains my settings when I turn the option off/on it might not be so bad).

Silav101

Finally entered region 3.

Spider Nest Castle
level was great. The placement of the third shrine right before the incline/ramp to the mansion with a
MOTHERFUCKING WHEEL MONK ASSHOLE
on top was definitely appreciated, Team Ninja.

Snow area feels massive, with a hell of a lot of loops, shortcuts and surprises (like a vertical ambush while dealing with a yokai realm spawn, goddamnit, died there) and I didn't finish it in time, ugh. BLESS SENSE ENEMY affix.

Will go through it again later tonight, need to find all the kodama, anyways.

Without spoilers, how long is this game guys?

I'm returning from a holiday on Friday but don't want to be half way through Nioh when Horizon comes out a week or so later.

I only get to play an hour or two each night.

I completed Bloodborne fairly quickly (it was my first and only Souls game), will this stump me?

I've been eyeing this game up on and off for a few months but I'm half tempted to wait until after Horizon.

ISee

Yeah but it fucks with everything, not just the one game that has asinine controls.Swapping X and O are a minimum in this for me. Of course I'm trying to get it a bit more "souls-y". It also needs to be fast and easy to revert when it's R6:S and RE7 time (actually, if it retains my settings when I turn the option off/on it might not be so bad).

There are different presets in nioh, I thought one of them just switched x and o, but maybe I am wrong.

dreamfall

I feel like I'm really under leveled - 60's, heading into the boss fight at the end of Region 4?

I think at this rate, Region 5 is going to be tough without grinding a bit :/

The main mission from the Last Chance Demo felt like sweet nostalgia!

Carcetti

Everyone's just going about sloth but you don't need sloth if you go heavy Onmyo Magic.

I got a spear/onmyo/spirit character and the summon attack spell kills human size bosses very easily, can equip 9 of them for a boss run. Depending on which you use, they can wreck other bosses too. Like when I used phoenix summon against
the crater giant skeleton when summoned into his face. The damage is absolutely insane, something like 5000-6000
Even normal summoons drop a human boss on their butt and you can use a finisher. You just need to equip a mage hat that speeds up casting so you don't get interrupted.

JJShadow

How many regions are there and at what level are people finishing the game? I've hit region 3 yesterday and lvl 48 already feels extremely high.
Also I'm at work atm and all I can think of is Nioh. I'm even thinking about getting a pro because framerate on the base Modell isn't stable at all, but getting it just for one game is a so unreasonable.

Someone mentioned there are a total of
--6--
regions, correct me if wrong. I'm in the same boat at you, hit region 3 yesterday and I'm level 50 at the moment, I'm progressing without too much trouble

Without spoilers, how long is this game guys?

I'm returning from a holiday on Friday but don't want to be half way through Nioh when Horizon comes out a week or so later.

I only get to play an hour or two each night.

I completed Bloodborne fairly quickly (it was my first and only Souls game), will this stump me?

I've been eyeing this game up on and off for a few months but I'm half tempted to wait until after Horizon.

If you only focus on doing main story missions and submissions (you will need to do them to level up) and forget about grinding, around 40-45 hours or so

Prithee Be Careful

Industry Professional
While the game visual design is a bit lacking, compared to souls series and enemy variety is definetly one of the lower points of the game. They seem such petty reasons to stop playing a game, specially if you enjoy the combat. (The narrative sure is lacking, but the game has like 10 minutes of cutscenes in like 70h of gameplay, is such a non-issue...)

Level design is fine, most souls game level design is flat too (I guess you mean no verticality?) and later levels in Nioh offers some cool layouts.

One thing is to expect a souls-like experience and another thing expect an exact copy of the series. If you want more souls game, there's a DLC incoming. Meanwhile I recommend you to be ready to not play another souls game in years, and not finding exact copy-paste games to fill the gap.

I actually admired the way they've managed to diversify the game from the Souls series - particuarly in terms of combat - and I do credit the game for this. In many respects it doesn't feel or play like a Souls-clone and that's great.

However, the level design is a fairly direct attempt at a Souls knock-off, right up to kick-down ladders, and doors that 'don't open from this side'. The risk reward sense of gameplay that Souls captures, by giving you huge labyrinthine spaces and daring you to explore them, is perfectly balanced to create that constant sense of dread - right from the very outset.

Nioh doesn't capture this. In the first instance the level enemies are actually a bit too easy to tackle, meaning the sense of trepidation rarely grips you and the lack of enemy variety means you just don't turn a corner and find yourself confronted with something you weren't expecting: think of the Crystal Lizard from the opening level of Dark Souls 3 or the Executioner on Yharnam's little backstreet.

Moreover, they tend to be quite open, allowing you to view whole areas at a distance, headshotting enemies with ranged weapons or sneaking around. Souls design constantly blocks line of sight to prevent this kind of reconnaisance and planning: think of Yharman's main drag between the clinic and the giant pyre. On it's own, it's a straight road you should be able to see most of the way along, but the designers deliberately blocked line-of-sight with abandoned carriages and debris and it keeps that sense of claustrophia and dread dialled up.

Nioh's fishing villiage however offers a much wider space, where guard patrols can easily be observed from a distance and enemies picked off with bows and arrows. It's rare to turn any corners and even rarer to find something unexpected around one. So yeah, that covers my thoughts on level design - I think it's the area where Nioh most closely apes the Souls series and were it misses the mark most noticeably.

That said, I'm not looking for another Souls game, I'm just looking for good, rewarding gaming experiences and they can come in all shapes and sizes.

SephiZack

I think It's in additon to what it already uses. In the case of the Katana, it had a D+ in skill scaling already, and it becomes an A+ instead. For weapons that have no scaling, pretty sure that would add it.

I think that actually instead of substituting it, it scales twice from the same stat. So if katana had D+, then it scales D+ and A+ from skill. I don't remember where I read but I've tested it and it seems like it works like that.

My katana has a Skill (B-) special effect and normally it would have B+ in Heart and C in Skill. If the B- substituted the C, then increasing skill would still give lower damage than increasing Heart because Heart is B+, but if I added 99 points into Skill vs 99 points into Heart, Skill ended up with around 100 more damage, which means that it scaled twice (Once in B- and once in C)

So yeah, if you had Change to Attack (Heart) A+, it would scale with both A+ and B+ for tons of damage

Zaventem

I'm confused and/or an idiot. If I'm wearing the full set, why are my bonuses still grayed out?

qFsxoAY.jpg

you don't meet the set requirements ( aka stat to wear it)

Izuna

Banned

I think it just adds on top, it's separate to the inherent scaling.

I think it's not important which stat it is, just that it is A+

C in Change to Attack is less than C in inherent scaling.

Carbonox

Am I a potato or is there a way to hide helmets? I'd really like to be able to see William's head.

I thought it'd be smooth sailing after Tachibana but spear man is fucking me up too. Had him down to 1 hit but then I screwed up.

Farming for the red demon smithing text over and over and over and over has resulted in me being able to beat that prick in 30 seconds without getting hit. Fuck that guy. What's worse is you don't get a prestige title for no-damaging him. :(

Caim

Am I a potato or is there a way to hide helmets? I'd really like to be able to see William's head.

Farming for the red demon smithing text over and over and over and over has resulted in me being able to beat that prick in 30 seconds without getting hit. Fuck that guy. What's worse is you don't get a prestige title for no-damaging him. :(

System > Basic Game Settings > Display Headgear

Izuna

Banned
Got a B in an exam and it's all my fault for playing Nioh so much :'(

--

None of these stats etc. Are important, NG+ seems to be a fixed challenge, but the fact that the loot system is fun despite not having any real use just shows how much I'd love constant updates to this game.

I think a steady stream of challenges like a Mission Mode from NGB and end game content would hold me over throughout the rest of this year.

Caim

On the mission select screen what do the swords indicate underneath mission level?

Difficulty.

Seems to be based around your level because I think they can go down.

I guess the farther you are away from the mission level the more likely it is to be 5 swords.

Izuna

Banned
What other Katana combo finisher is good? I thought I would like kick but it's kinda useless against revenants

How's the swipe back attack ?

Heaven Flash and that two hit Sheath bash are the only abilities you need.

Only kick enemies that can't guard like blobs

myco666

I just won't learn to play this properly ever. First mission boss in 4th region took 30 tries. The amount of deaths is just absurd and I don't think it should be this much of a struggle.

Am I missing something or is there no soft or hard cap for weapon scaling? Just observed how damage of body influences spear damage and heart influences sword damage up to 99, and it keeps going up in steps of 2,1,3 or 2,1,4 and the like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom