• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh |OT2| You Can Be My Yojimbo Anytime

I've always kind of ignored parrying in games due to the high risk/reward danger and learning curve that's usually involved, however the parrying in Nioh has me convinced that it fucking rules 110%.

What other games would you guys recommend with satisfying parrying mechanics?

I've always kind of ignored parrying in games due to the high risk/reward danger and learning curve that's usually involved, however the parrying in Nioh has me convinced that it fucking rules 110%.

Metal Gear Rising for sure, a perfect parry in that feels amazing. And against some enemies you can get into 'parry battles'-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSyNFdUgHHo

For Honor's parry is also very satisfying.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Same, I have Horizon, Nier Automata and Zelda BotW waiting, but I can't put this down. Over 300 hours and I still don't have enough.
Daaaamn homie, puttin in work! Just beat Horizon recently and am eager to jump back in Nioh and maybe pursue better divine weapons. Is all your gear level 150/160(+10) on everything by now? lol
I dread forging, have a shit ton of +5/6 and still haven't touched forging. What is wrong with me...

random question, Basically i want to switch weapons, I want to use the Kusanagi Tsurugi as it has the spirit A+ stat, And also a from behind damage boost hard coded on the sword.

So how do i go about getting other stats on there other than those 2? As when i go to reforge there is no stats to reroll as you cant take off the base ones already on there.

Soul matching with another weapon removes the DFB stat which i would rather keep. But would soul matching then give random stats on the sword? Of which i could then reroll? Even though i would lose my DFB base stat for Ki reduction etc.

IvorB

Daaaamn homie, puttin in work! Just beat Horizon recently and am eager to jump back in Nioh and maybe pursue better divine weapons. Is all your gear level 150/160(+10) on everything by now? lol
I dread forging, have a shit ton of +5/6 and still haven't touched forging. What is wrong with me...

Wow you guys are rinsing games. :-O I guess it's a busy season for PS4 owners.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Wow you guys are rinsing games. :-O I guess it's a busy season for PS4 owners.
This Q1 2017 is pretty special and I still haven't played GR2 or Nier(shame on me). I blazed through Horizon though even though I did most of the side missions/errand & maxed out Alloy's skills. I'm really loving this year so far, feels great to be playing video games again ahahaha.

Fisty

Man, took me awhile to beat those two bastards a Meeting on the Other Shore, didn't think I'd be able to manage but wow, they are really annoying together

Kaako

Felium Defensor
i had more trouble beating the Nioh Kings, i even lost 1.4M amrita. still died like 10 times with them though, the thing is that it was really long matches
Same here for some reason I do really well on A meeting on the other shore but fucking Honda & Tachi gave me hell on NG+. To the point that I made it my sole mission to become so OP to be able to cheese these two specific mofos. Mission accomplished.

^ Makibishi helps to create some distance between the Two Kings. Big boy is slow as hell.

I didn't know a rifle shot could hit more than one enemy. Neat. Wait, maybe that's only with the special ammo?

vOW0tO6.gif

Oh, these were my ending weapons.

http://imgur.com/IJ5cRyv

http://imgur.com/vVPauTB

Axe is showing the 7 piece set damage bonus with the matching sword that is comparable to my other katana.

Jingo

So my submissions are definitly bugged, its not the first time im doing one, facing the last enemies, die and when i come back there is the light to finish the mission waiting for me, does this happened to any of you?

Deku Tree

So my submissions are definitly bugged, its not the first time im doing one, facing the last enemies, die and when i come back there is the light to finish the mission waiting for me, does this happened to any of you?

Yeah there are a few missions, particularly ones without a boss, that auto complete even if you die while trying to finish it.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

With a username like that please tell me you didn't ignore gun-parrying in Bloodborne?

u2utmD1.jpg

Any idea how i go by getting other stats on this sword?

Soul matching doesnt seem to add any stats too it for me to reforge. Let alone it removes the damage from behind stat with something else.

With a username like that please tell me you didn't ignore gun-parrying in Bloodborne?

Fuck no, I gun-parried my ass off in Bloodborne. It was quite frankly the first game where I really took advantage of parrying as an integral part of the gameplay. It's so fucking good...that sound effect and falling to the knees, lawdy lawd.

Flipside

Is it safe to assume that you can sell/disassemble al gear and weapons that aren't green once you start NG+? (I'm terrible at inventory management)

What's the best method to gain quick levels and good gear when you start out with NG+? Since I can only access the first three regions.

FrankWza

Same, I have Horizon, Nier Automata and Zelda BotW waiting, but I can't put this down. Over 300 hours and I still don't have enough.

Nier is just not scratching that right itch after nioh. Honestly was looking forward to nier more before they released. I think its a bad follow up game to nioh. Its not bad but even for a platinum game the combat is just not on this level.

Oh boy...

I've honestly always ignored MGR because I didn't really 'get' the demo, looks like I should've been more patient. Picking it up stat, must be cheap by now anyway.

Get it...amazing combat and yes the parryying is awesome. And its very replayable

Was gonna ask this too. Loved the BB parrying.

Schlomo

Guys, does the US / Pal version have Japanese voices?

Japanese characters speak Japanese, English characters speak English, so it should be the same. HOWEVER, the EU (and probably US) version doesn't have Japanese text, which was a huge disappointment for me, since the Alpha and Beta had it. Probably because the JP version is censored and they didn't want people to import.

I'm not crazy about the parry timing in this game, but Bloodborne has the most intuitive and satisfying parry (and visceral) system in any game I've played.

Kudo

I'm not crazy about the parry timing in this game, but Bloodborne has the most intuitive and satisfying parry (and visceral) system in any game I've played.

Yeah, Bloodborne is parry perfected. Most games make it stupidly hard that there's no point to it other than showing off, in Nioh I feel like it's really useful against certain enemies, most human mobsters are really easy to parry.

Is the final region the same length as the others? Just arrived and curious how much I have left.

Final region has
main missions. About the same length as others.

Late Flag

This game really grew on me, and I've enjoyed the hell out of the past several regions.

That said, I understand now why people felt like the main story overstayed its welcome. I thought I was nearly done a while ago, and since then it's just been a non-stop boss rush, all but one of which feels like complete padding. I'm back in
London
now and all I want is for it to be over so I can mess around with NG+, but I'm finding the for-real-this-time last boss very frustrating/cheap and I'm particularly ticked that I can't re-set my ninjustsu or summon somebody to just get it over with.

Fbh

Holy shit the final sidemission. I was a bit proud that I had made it so far without ever having to use the OP sloth magic, but after like an hour trying to beat this I just gave in and equiped it.... and even so it took me like another 25 minutes to beat it.

Fuck the Ice lady. Basically everything she does takes like 80% of my health. Avoiding her in a 1vs1 isn't hard but when you also have to fight Nobunaga a the same time you will eventually screw up.
In the end I just started the fight by throwing sloth on both, then went all in against Nobunaga so he was almost dead by the time they started moving normally again. From there on it's not that hard

Royal Guard Style. DMC3/DMC4

The parrying rules in those games are so concrete, literally everything can be parried. Even laser beam attacks have parrying properties that follow these rules. Fucking glorious.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qivKjZ0jgik

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRZtFMozR6c
In this video you can even parry counterattack hitboxes. When Capcom said everything can be parried, literally everything can be parried. Even Blitz's death animation explosion can be parried.

EDIT: Dante can even parry Vergil's taunt where he spins his phantom blade like a basketball on his finger.

This game really grew on me, and I've enjoyed the hell out of the past several regions.

That said, I understand now why people felt like the main story overstayed its welcome. I thought I was nearly done a while ago, and since then it's just been a non-stop boss rush, all but one of which feels like complete padding. I'm back in
London
now and all I want is for it to be over so I can mess around with NG+, but I'm finding the for-real-this-time last boss very frustrating/cheap and I'm particularly ticked that I can't re-set my ninjustsu or summon somebody to just get it over with.

1) Sloth
2) Defense Down
3) Carnage
4) Activate Spirit Animal
5) Go behind him for back critical damage
6) Mash Square
7) Witness him die in 6 seconds.
8) Use a quick change scroll for insurance if you're worried. (optional)

Royal Guard Style. DMC3/DMC4

The parrying rules in those games are so concrete, literally everything can be parried. Even laser beam attacks have parrying properties that follow these rules. Fucking glorious.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qivKjZ0jgik

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRZtFMozR6c
In this video you can even parry counterattack hitboxes. When Capcom said everything can be parried, literally everything can be parried. Even Blitz's death animation explosion can be parried.

EDIT: Dante can even parry Vergil's taunt where he spins his phantom blade like a basketball on his finger.

I beat DMC3 back in the day but never really looked into the styles, especially Royal Guard I guess. I was a bit overwhelmed with the choices and stuck to one thing as far as I recall. However, I just recently bought the PS3 remastered so fuck yeah me.

Never played DMC4 actually, will investigate as well.

u2utmD1.jpg

Soul matching doesnt seem to add any stats too it for me to reforge. Let alone it removes the damage from behind stat with something else.

You can't, it was explained on this page why. It's a reward weapon for beating the game. Everyone gets the same sets of divine weapons for beating the game. You can get all the weapons with full stats on it only once for beating the game. If it's gonna drop in state like this, you know it was mission reward not a random drop. You can get all those weapons with full stat set on them from random drops, mission rewards etc.

RexNovis

Banned
It dose boost the damage, it shows in my sheet damage, from behind 35%, it adds to the same pool of damage as everything else that got damage from behind. When it reduces the damage it says damage recieve %. I did test it so I know it works, otherwise I wouldn't bother.

Unless thisbvajged with the most recent patch the damage from behind you are seeing boosted in your stats window is the one from your amor that reduces damage from behind. They are worded the same on the stat sheet. I tested the damage myself and there was 0 different using accessories or armor with damage from behind. You can also use the info tooltip when pressing options it clearly says reduces damage received not increasing damage dealt.

Looks like this guy tested too:

Are you sure? Didn't for me. I just test it out. Have Damage From Behind 12% on the Special Effects status screen. Added a accessory with Damage From Behind 9.5%. Afterward, still shows 12% on the screen.

Completed the game! That was an adventure! Will go back to Japan again!

Fun fact, the voice actor for "The most brutal Overlord" is none other than Shibusawa Kou himself lol. And I'm almost fairly certain Team Ninja is saving Toyotomi Hideyoshi for another expansion, so we can get a Monkey guardian spirit.

I don't think I was particular overlevelled or anything, but the final few boss rushes and the true final boss did not feel particularly long for me. Maybe "The most feared Yokai" fight, because that's the first time I've used up all of my Elixirs and had to resort to the Purple medicines lol! But it was a generous fight and the damage from that boss was not particularly high.

After the break, next step is to wrap up some minor trophies before focusing on the long haul ones.

hey guys i'just got back from a 2 week break of nioh. i actually finished the story , got my divine weapons and all and i'm slowly converting my purple stuff to green.

However i've seen that some of the bonuses of many screen shots here are green . Yet i'm reforging and i keep getting white or yellow ones . Is there something i'm missing ?

hey guys i'just got back from a 2 week break of nioh. i actually finished the story , got my divine weapons and all and i'm slowly converting my purple stuff to green.

However i've seen that some of the bonuses of many screen shots here are green . Yet i'm reforging and i keep getting white or yellow ones . Is there something i'm missing ?

I think you have to reforge using divine fragments? I remember reading something like it in the new tutorial that gets unlock in the Blacksmith chat.

Unless thisbvajged with the most recent patch the damage from behind you are seeing boosted in your stats window is the one from your amor that reduces damage from behind. They are worded the same on the stat sheet. I tested the damage myself and there was 0 different using accessories or armor with damage from behind. You can also use the info tooltip when pressing options it clearly says reduces damage received not increasing damage dealt.

Looks like this guy tested too:
Yeah you sre right, it was adding to tne armor bonus not sword, I forgot I had it on the armor as well. My bad.

Jingo

So i must farm in this game or what?

Im level 76 and the next mission level is 85.

Im playing every submission the game has, rarely die, im leveling up normally and the mission is not accord to my level, its way up high, i never had this problem with any rpg in terms of progressing vs difficulty so i must say i was surprised the game asked a level so high for where i stand right now.

RexNovis

Banned

Wait what there are green bonuses? Can you past a picture of some? How do you been get those? I've never seen one.

So i must farm in this game or what?

Im level 76 and the next mission level is 85.

Im playing every submission the game has, rarely die, im leveling up normally and the mission is not accord to my level, its way up high, i never had this problem with any rpg in terms of progressing vs difficulty so i must say i was surprised the game asked a level so high for where i stand right now.

No don't worry, the mission level doesn't seem to scale with your character levels but more with your gear. If you have been keeping up to date you'll be fine.

But even if you don't, it's not anything unmanageable.

Man that last boss was easy, of course im overleveled to hell though

I wonder if he is easy to farm, he dropped like a shitload of amrita but i dont know of all the almost 5M were from me killing every single fucker in thw map or the boss

And im just 3 points short to max out the blacksmith! Too bad the cheesy method isnt working anymore

Change of plans, I did not know that a 'Demon King' build would be all about Confusion... Heck looking at the Oda Clan it even buffs the duration of Confusion! That's exactly what I want to play with from the beginning!

The only problem with the Demon King set is that the armor is freaking heavy! Fextralite classified it as a medium armor but I'm pretty sure it's at least a "light" Heavy armor set :v

Baalzebup

u2utmD1.jpg

I mentioned this very recently. That particular copy is stuck in that form and should only be used as fodder to improve some other piece of gear.
the reason why they have only the inherent specials is that that is just what happens with the set of divines that are dropped by the boss who unlocks them when you kill it for the first time. Everyone gets the same full set of weapons to get them in on the divine weapons game at a running start, but for some reason, those same weapons are reduced to the inherents only -state if you get them as drops from the revenants. Other copies of the same weapons can be completely ok, but that means they aren't from that initial boss kill. It is just a thing that happens :p
The real question is, how come you have upgraded that version of the weapon instead of the one that you will have gotten from Y
amata-no-Orochi
? The very fact that you have that weapon in the divine form means you must have beaten it and it will give a fully slotted version of that weapon as a guaranteed drop. That particular sword could only have come from a revenant after you've beaten that fight already.
The only problem with the Demon King set is that the armor is freaking heavy! Fextralite classified it as a medium armor but I'm pretty sure it's at least a "light" Heavy armor set :v
Well it is an armor set that is basically a modified western plate armor set. No one ever said dressing up in steel would not have any downsides to it. :D

Well it is an armor set that is basically a modified western plate armor set. No one ever said dressing up in steel would not have any downsides to it. :D

Oh boy that's going to put a damper on my plans... I'm looking at like... 35 stamina to take it down to 70%? And that's including an Onmyou head piece for quick casting.

Btw is the Tengen Kujaku useless as a Guardian Spirit Talisman? It doesn't do a lot of damage, doesn't inflict elemental debuff, and doesn't knock down/back enemies :v Would have been awesome if it buffs your weapon with a random element like Youknowwho.

Baalzebup

Btw is the Tengen Kujaku useless as a Guardian Spirit Talisman? It doesn't do a lot of damage, doesn't inflict elemental debuff, and doesn't knock down/back enemies :v Would have been awesome if it buffs your weapon with a random element like Youknowwho.
I honestly have never tested it so this is purely second hand info, but I'm pretty sure someone here mentioned that the Living Weapon special attack (triangle+circle again in LW) for Tengen Kujaku is to actually change the element of the Living Weapon.

I honestly have never tested it so this is purely second hand info, but I'm pretty sure someone here mentioned that the Living Weapon special attack (triangle+circle again in LW) for Tengen Kujaku is to actually change the element of the Living Weapon.

Yup that one I can confirm, that's why this build is amazing for Confusion, you can switch elements on the fly. But that's only for LW though, sadly it doesn't seem like you can do it with the GS talisman. Would have been crazy if you could lol.

Top Bottom