• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh |OT2| You Can Be My Yojimbo Anytime

I'm finally ready to tackle "the grind".
I did a test run today and got 70 million amrita. I need to optimize the route and, little by little, build up my stats for more optimization.

I'm kinda excited to be able to do this at last.

RexNovis

Banned
I'm finally ready to tackle "the grind".
I did a test run today and got 70 million amrita. I need to optimize the route and, little by little, build up my stats for more optimization.

I'm kinda excited to be able to do this at last.

Uhh where and how are you getting that much Amrita?

While it is incomplete this is still super helpful thanks for sharing.

knitoe

Uhh where and how are you getting that much Amrita?

Roll gear that has earned Amrita, especially accessories that give Amrita while using Live Weapon, and run the lvl310 last mission staying in LW the entire time. With the right gear, I have gotten up to 150 million, but my usual runs are 120-130million. YouTube for videos on how it's done.

Dumb question, but is there any leap attack like Dark Souls' forward+R2?

Not sure if it's comparable, but run + square with a sword in high stance does a sort of leap in overhead slash.

Not the same thing but another move that's similar I suppose would be the high stance evade backwards & strike. He performs a forward lunge with a somewhat overhead strike, but this may be pretty much the same move as Number45 above already talked about.

To be precise, you'd simply hit X to dodge backwards and immediately hit square or triangle, he lunges forward automatically. Actually a very useful move to trick assholes blocking constantly. I tend to do two or so in a row considering the backwards dodge KI pulses.

So I've been taking my sweet-ass time with this game because I've been busy as hell with daily life. Anyway, I did the
Shit Castle
stage yesterday and I mean who the hell came up with THAT gimmick?

I searched the place high and low, usually don't have any issues with secrets etc. in this, but I just could not find all the
dung balls
to save my life.

I actually really quite liked the level design itself in this one but was annoyed that you could just
disable most of the enemies by smashing the crystals including the damn mid-boss. I know it was meant to be more of a puzzle, sure, but I thought it would just weaken him instead and I was having fun fighting him. Finally a stage with quite a large number of human enemies and part of the puzzle is to just disable them completely...damn.
I know you don't HAVE to do that and all, but if an option is offered to me in a game, I usually have to try it out just to see what happens.

Baalzebup

So I've been taking my sweet-ass time with this game because I've been busy as hell with daily life. Anyway, I did the
Shit Castle
stage yesterday and I mean who the hell came up with THAT gimmick?

I searched the place high and low, usually don't have any issues with secrets etc. in this, but I just could not find all the
dung balls
to save my life.

I actually really quite liked the level design itself in this one but was annoyed that you could just
disable most of the enemies by smashing the crystals including the damn mid-boss. I know it was meant to be more of a puzzle, sure, but I thought it would just weaken him instead and I was having fun fighting him. Finally a stage with quite a large number of human enemies and part of the puzzle is to just disable them completely...damn.
I know you don't HAVE to do that and all, but if an option is offered to me in a game, I usually have to try it out just to see what happens.
The shit collection is more or less a cumulative prospect. The game and the character remember your earlier "donations" on repeat visits.

Not sure if it's comparable, but run + square with a sword in high stance does a sort of leap in overhead slash.

Not the same thing but another move that's similar I suppose would be the high stance evade backwards & strike. He performs a forward lunge with a somewhat overhead strike, but this may be pretty much the same move as Number45 above already talked about.

To be precise, you'd simply hit X to dodge backwards and immediately hit square or triangle, he lunges forward automatically. Actually a very useful move to trick assholes blocking constantly. I tend to do two or so in a row considering the backwards dodge KI pulses.

Thanks!

im enjoying the game more after i switched to 60fps mode (pro) however my only complain with the mode is that shit loads out of thin air when you get close, it is specially bad on the level you about to face nobu and kelly

anyone else having trouble staying connected today? damn game keeps hiccuping every few minutes trying to touch the server and getting me killed.

Bah, can't stop playing, even though I hit 100% mission complete on NG+. Dropped inputs needs to be hotfixed, though.

Hey so I noticed you got your 160 weapons without much issue. That's the one thing I haven't bothered doing. Would you mind telling me exactly what you did (which weapons you crafted, how long it took, etc)?

The shit collection is more or less a cumulative prospect. The game and the character remember your earlier "donations" on repeat visits.

Oh yeah, I didn't really consider that. Guy must be German with a shit obsession that out of control.

I still can't wrap my mind around the fact that there's essentially a shit-fetch quest...

Btw, how does being 'smelly' hurt you by the way? I assume it does SOMETHING since you can rinse yourself off with water and have the status disappear. Anyone know if it negatively affects your somehow?

Oh yeah, I didn't really consider that. Guy must be German with a shit obsession that out of control.

I still can't wrap my mind around the fact that there's essentially a shit-fetch quest...

Btw, how does being 'smelly' hurt you by the way? I assume it does SOMETHING since you can rinse yourself off with water and have the status disappear. Anyone know if it negatively affects your somehow?

If you heal while you've got shit status, William vomits and you only heal half what your elixir normally would, plus the vomit animation leaves you super vulnerable for a really long time so it makes it practically impossible to heal mid combat.

Hey so I noticed you got your 160 weapons without much issue. That's the one thing I haven't bothered doing. Would you mind telling me exactly what you did (which weapons you crafted, how long it took, etc)?

I backed up my save to USB before starting first thing, since I read some people took 300 attempts before forging a 160. I then forged the absolute cheapest (mats and gold) weapon, like the black steel axe, and the first dojo reward sword text, for around 40-50 attempts. If I didn't get a 160, I just restored my save. When I did get one, I backed up my save again, then went on to the next weapon I wanted. It didn't take too long to get the 3 160's to upgrade the weapons I wanted. I guess it did work out to where I had to forge around 100 times to get a 160.

Deku Tree

I backed up my save to USB before starting first thing, since I read some people took 300 attempts before forging a 160. I then forged the absolute cheapest (mats and gold) weapon, like the black steel axe, and the first dojo reward sword text, for around 40-50 attempts. If I didn't get a 160, I just restored my save. When I did get one, I backed up my save again, then went on to the next weapon I wanted. It didn't take too long to get the 3 160's to upgrade the weapons I wanted. I guess it did work out to where I had to forge around 100 times to get a 160.

How much time did it take?

Hour for my first one, but I was doing other things around the house between attempts.

Ah okay. I did 400 forges once 3 weeks ago and then never tried again. Guess I gotta be more diligent.

Ah okay. I did 400 forges once 3 weeks ago and then never tried again. Guess I gotta be more diligent.

RNG. I honestly don't see why they have to be rare at all. They are only a little better than 150 weapons, and you're basically finished with the playthrough when you can craft them.

FrankWza

I mean I played for 200+ hours, and I still don't have any complaints beyond enemy variety, so yes, I still love it.

I feel like the enemy variety complaint is a little nitpicky. I used to feel that way too but the more you think about it it isnt terrible. Its a combination of the game being very long and some enemies like dwellers and skeletons having bigger versions and yoki/fiend having like 4 versions that are pretty different attackwise but similar in look. Also, you see pretty much every enemy in every mission once introduced. If anything the human variety is most lacking. They should have sprinkled in some dojo boss types here and there. It could definitely be better but i dont know many games that change things up that much. UC4 had same enemies all game. Im currently playing nier automata and there's even less variety than nioh. Again, could be better but its a minor gripe for the amazing combat you get. Great game.
Not trying to single you out. Just saying since its a common complaint.

I feel like the enemy variety complaint is a little nitpicky. I used to feel that way too but the more you think about it it isnt terrible. Its a combination of the game being very long and some enemies like dwellers and skeletons having bigger versions and yoki/fiend having like 4 versions that are pretty different attackwise but similar in look.

Yeah honestly I don't feel as strongly about the enemy variety complaint as some other posters do, but I do feel like by the 3rd region I no longer felt any excitement when I saw a grey fog where an enemy would come out. Just business as usual.

FrankWza

Yeah honestly I don't feel as strongly about the enemy variety complaint as some other posters do, but I do feel like by the 3rd region I no longer felt any excitement when I saw a grey fog where an enemy would come out. Just business as usual.

Totally. Except when it was a monk or raven...fuckers! Hopefully they add some in the dlc. Description from psn

Description:
Your journey along the path of the samurai has only just begun… This Season Pass includes three new downloadable story chapters – each with new enemies and quests – which you can access as soon as they’re available.

Maybe it won't be just bosses.

Good to see impressions are still strong after the honeymoon period is over. Hard to juggle so many great games at once, but I will get into it eventually.

Good to see impressions are still strong after the honeymoon period is over. Hard to juggle so many great games at once, but I will get into it eventually.

For what it's worth, I'm still playing the game even after completing the main story. A stark contrast to how I am with Dark souls where I just closed shop after getting the ending.

There's just so much I want to do in this game. Not to mention the DLC is just around the corner as well.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Finally decided to forge my first weapon after completing everything on NG+ and on my first fucking roll I got a 160 Nioh dual katana. I used exactly 7 divine fragments for my first roll cause I thought why not, lucky number lol. Welp, that was easy. Now time to feed this beast to a +10.

Also got the Platinum just now which is something I never go out of my way to get but had to put a little extra effort for this baby since I already sunk so much hours into it. This game is still fucking amazing and a blast to play, especially online!

So I take it every one is still loving this game? I bought it at launch, but it still remains sealed.
Oh yes, after beating Horizon I immediately jumped back on Nioh online. This is THE game I'll be coming back to after I beat other games. The gameplay and the combat mechanics are just soooo damn good and satisfying to play.

Beat the game today. Completed every single mission and whatever Twilight Missions were available at the time. Might as well post some thoughts.

Ended it at Level 50, level 105 Axe and average ~65 armor. No Onmyo or Ninjutsu (self-imposed handicap).

-After the 2nd region, I decided that I would only level up or upgrade gear if I started getting wrecked. That... never really never happened, with the exception of an Axe upgrade (from 64 to 105) during the final mission as some of the Yokai were taking forever to kill.
-Honestly, this game gives the player way too much good gear. Probably controversial, but I do think a system like Dark Souls would be far better, as once I found a good combination of attributes, the only thing I upgraded to was armor with the exact same attributes but higher level. Set bonuses are too powerful to give them up for non-set armor.
-Hardest boss by far was Mitsunari. Every other boss (including Kelley) was cake by comparison.
-Used Kato the entire game. Other Guardian Spirits didn't seem to offer a better combination of bonuses.
-Game started to wear out its welcome towards the end of 4th Region, due to low difficulty and lack of enemy variety. The amount of yokai arena side missions was pretty annoying as well.

I still enjoyed most of my time. A sequel that addresses the downsides would easily rival the top Souls games.

I feel that they shouldn't try to make it more like Dark Souls than they already have like polishing up on more level design and enemies and bosses etc.

I think the best way they should proceed is to go down the Destiny route of loot based co-op addiction. Just like Destiny they have a strong core mechanics, and we see it being able to retain players despite the repetitive natural and limited variety of the game. Nioh launched with better foundation than Destiny, it has to potential to draw in those crowd if it wants to.

I think the best way they should proceed is to go down the Destiny route of loot based co-op addiction. Just like Destiny they have a strong core mechanics, and we see it being able to retain players despite the repetitive natural and limited variety of the game. Nioh launched with better foundation than Destiny, it has to potential to draw in those crowd if it wants to.

Had a sudden image of getting a weekly bounty from Hanzo to finish a Twilightfall with a certain amount of Amrita gained for a chance to score a unique divine weapon.

RexNovis

Banned
I feel that they shouldn't try to make it more like Dark Souls than they already have like polishing up on more level design and enemies and bosses etc.

I really enjoy the fact that it's mission based. It really makes it feel like more of an arcade style experience and I've missed that so much on console. I hope they don't try to make it open world like literally everything else is these days. It's just refreshing to have something like this in a time dominated by those massive open world style games.

Had a sudden image of getting a weekly bounty from Hanzo to finish a Twilightfall with a certain amount of Amrita gained for a chance to score a unique divine weapon.

I don't think they have the servers to handle 6 player simultaneously, but imagine you and two other buddies raiding a dungeon designed for 3 players lol.

I really enjoy the fact that it's mission based. It really makes it feel like more of an arcade style experience and I've missed that so much on console. I hope they don't try to make it open world like literally everything else is these days. It's just refreshing to have something like this in a time dominated by those massive open world style games.

Well the main reason why they went with the mission base set up is to maintain the quick load times, I don't think they would compromise that (and that shouldn't, it's a good decision sadly overlooked by the Souls community.)

Fbh

Finished it.
Overall I really liked it. The combat in the Souls games is already one of my favorite ever and this somehow feels even better. So on that alone this was already really enjoyable for me. But the setting is also great and I have to admit that as a sucker for Samurai stuff I loved all the various armour designs.

If we ever get a sequel (and I really hope we do), I would love if they went for a slightly more fantastical style in terms of visual design. Would really have liked to see more levels like the final one which had a cool use of color and a more over the top look. For my taste this had a bit too many caves, abandoned houses and just too much grey and brown in general.

Regarding the end:
Was that freaking Date Masamune?!?!?!?!?!?

Regarding the end:
Was that freaking Date Masamune?!?!?!?!?!?

DLC:
nioh-april-2017.jpg

T_Exige

Just killed the
spider boss
on first try, didn't expect that ...
Does
killing the 4 spiders that drop 4 items make it weaker?
I love this game, even if the difficulty is acting strange.

Mentok

Banned
Just beat the mission Samurai of Sawayama. Assuming I'm nearing the end? I never figured out how to access the 2nd shrine in that level lol. Once I 100% and max build this kusarigama/dualie build, I'm going to make a 2nd build using katana/spear with onmyo to see what all the fuss is about.

FrankWza

Just killed the
spider boss
on first try, didn't expect that ...
Does
killing the 4 spiders that drop 4 items make it weaker?
I love this game, even if the difficulty is acting strange.

Doubt it about making it weaker i think she's just weak but there's 6 not 4.

RedRumy3

Just got this game and I love it already even though I die a lot. Having fun so far ^_^ need to beat it before mass effect comes out >.<

What's the best way to farm (super late game boss)
Oda Nobunaga
? Doing the sub mission sounds tough but doing the main mission from the start isn't any more appealing lol. I've been co-opting but it's a crapshoot if the host have gotten up to him or just summoned me at the start of the mission =_=

What's the best way to farm (super late game boss)
Oda Nobunaga
? Doing the sub mission sounds tough but doing the main mission from the start isn't any more appealing lol. I've been co-opting but it's a crapshoot if the host have gotten up to him or just summoned me at the start of the mission =_=

With the right builds, you can gank him and his partner in seconds, even in NG+, if you're just farming for speed.

Otherwise, if you're also farming for amrita, the final mission in NG+ is still the most efficient, AND it'll put you right up against him pretty quickly if you use the LW method.

With the right builds, you can gank him and his partner in seconds, even in NG+, if you're just farming for speed.

Otherwise, if you're also farming for amrita, the final mission in NG+ is still the most efficient, AND it'll put you right up against him pretty quickly if you use the LW method.

Well I'm farming him for his smithing text I guess :v

Top Bottom