• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh |OT2| You Can Be My Yojimbo Anytime

The dual katana skill "Moon Shadow" is so godlike that I'm a complete idiot for not using it earlier.

Between that, God of Wind, Sign of the Cross and Windstorm, I can attack continuously and rip apart defensive Revenants.

Grisby

Thinking about picking this up tomorrow after work, although I might not play it for a bit since I've just come off a long rpg stint with Persona. Damn, this seems like it will it my Team Ninja and Ninja Scroll fix but the complaints of few enemy variety and repeated environments have me thinking I might wait for a price drop.

Question though, I consider myself an ok Souls bro and I was wondering how long it took for some of you guys to beat the game. Could you do it in 40 or 50, with just trying to see the end level/cutscene? Thanks guys.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
The dual katana skill "Moon Shadow" is so godlike that I'm a complete idiot for not using it earlier.

Between that, God of Wind, Sign of the Cross and Windstorm, I can attack continuously and rip apart defensive Revenants.
While I am sad they nerfed Windstorm real bad and I can't rely on spamming it to win anymore, I don't think I would have had the patience to do the Marobashi mission without Moon Shadow. I just spammed it constantly to get free crits on those damn turtling samurai, haha.

Sarcasm

Thinking about picking this up tomorrow after work, although I might not play it for a bit since I've just come off a long rpg stint with Persona. Damn, this seems like it will it my Team Ninja and Ninja Scroll fix but the complaints of few enemy variety and repeated environments have me thinking I might wait for a price drop.

Question though, I consider myself an ok Souls bro and I was wondering how long it took for some of you guys to beat the game. Could you do it in 40 or 50, with just trying to see the end level/cutscene? Thanks guys.

Don't go in this expecting souls. Only thing common is shortcuts.

Sure, i think it took me 70 hours to do everything and to get the platinum.

While I am sad they nerfed Windstorm real bad and I can't rely on spamming it to win anymore, I don't think I would have had the patience to do the Marobashi mission without Moon Shadow. I just spammed it constantly to get free crits on those damn turtling samurai, haha.
They nerf windstorm? Didn't noticed... reduced damage?

xuchu

I have to say. This game being constantly compared to Bloodborne etc. Is very disappointing.

Yeah, while Nioh certainly has souls influences they are largely superficial and it's contributed so many people being disappointed with it. They come in expecting souls in terms of lore, environment and enemy design and inevitably leave disappointed even though tons of people have warned them from expecting those things from Nioh. It's unfortunately a mistake of PR and marketing from focusing too much on the souls aspects.

Also when I see people saying that the combat is better in Bloodborne, it's indicative of them exclusively using mid stance with a hit and run playstyle and playing it like 'souls'. That or rage quitting at Hino-Enma. There's little point in showing them XLHgladiator or miduki videos cos they won't understand the mid combo stance changes and the subtle things that they're doing that shows far more depth than you can ever achieve in BB. It's similar to showing someone high level DMC or Bayonetta play, in the sense that it just looks like button mashing to those unfamiliar with their combat systems and mechanics.

I love both bloodborne and Nioh but they are unfairly compared against each other when they are incredibly different. I don't see it stopping anytime soon though.

Here's the question- Why is it always Nioh compared with a Souls game and not Nioh compared with a loot game? Like if you compared Vanilla Nioh and Vanilla Destiny, which would be the better game?

The dark souls similarity was good to draw in the initial crowd but I think it's time to ditch it. The Souls genre tag might prove to be poison in the long run... And I suspect Team Ninja knows this because every patch and content updates they've doubled down and improved the loot game aspect rather than to try and make it more Souls.

Izuna

Banned
Here's the question- Why is it always Nioh compared with a Souls game and not Nioh compared with a loot game? Like if you compared Vanilla Nioh and Vanilla Destiny, which would be the better game?

The dark souls similarity was good to draw in the initial crowd but I think it's time to ditch it. The Souls genre tag might prove to be poison in the long run... And I suspect Team Ninja knows this because every patch and content updates they've doubled down and improved the loot game aspect rather than to try and make it more Souls.

I'd imagine it's because Nioh is mostly looked at by Souls fans and it's all they see because they compare everything to Dark Souls.

I would say this thread has a bunch who went into Nioh expecting to scratch a NGB itch and they are fairly satisfied. Loot/Diablo players don't know that this game is for them. At the very least, it isn't seemingly loot heavy from trailers nd preview.

For me it was a pleasant surprise. I was in the process of returning my PS4 Pro but after playing the Alpha, I HAD to get a PS4.

Same reason The Witcher 3 always gets compared to Bloodborne (they have combat), Skyrim was compared to Dark Souls (they have dragons), or that Hyper Light Drifter gets compared to A Link to the Past (they are top down). They lack a larger knowledge base of action RPG's to compare the game to.

I still think if you enjoy the combat in Bloodborne then Nioh is a good recommendation as long as they aren't going to try to play Bloodborne 2 with the game. However from recommending the game a few times to Bloodborne combat fans I have quickly begin to understand they don't really play with the mechanics of the game and it is more about visceral attacks for many rather than weapon switching and weapon transformations.

Grisby

Yeah, apologies, but when you're listening to the discussion of this game there are defintley more than a few souls comparisons that you hear.

However, it's not like Team Ninja is some new wet behind the ears action dev, they've got some chop and I'm glad to see this title worked out for them. Think I'm going to give it a go for sure and at least buy it now to support them.
Cool, I guess I was thinking more along the lines of difficulty and the comparisons of a souls game.
Sure, i think it took me 70 hours to do everything and to get the platinum.
Nice, I like beating the main campaign but I'm not a guy who has to seek everything out right away.

Van Bur3n

I'm really considering getting this game over blood bourne. Seems a lot fresher and more colorful. Though is this a loot hunting game?

Essentially. All of the different rarity types and constantly finding new stuff to use based on better stats. Of course, there are ways to stick with what you like, but its quite demanding (and not worth it early in the game). You're not going to find a whole lot of variety in terms of different weapons like in Bloodborne (there is no 'u' in the name, by the way), but the variety is found within the few weapons that are in Nioh and the many ways you can go about using them.

Anyway, today I decided to fight Maria again for shits and giggles. Kicked her ass on the first try. Blew my mind and surprised myself considering how long it took me the first time around. Feels good.

Please, there is a lot more it has in common with Souls. Some things being exactly identical in how they work. I'm of the sentiment that it's best not to look at this exactly like Souls myself (especially in terms of how to play it) but let's not be ignorant of the obvious influences to be found.

Izuna

Banned
All the Souls influences, like dropping XP, insta death holes, are the worst parts of the game and they feel tacked on top of a different game entirely.

The lost important similarities with Souls... The combat and the level design, are not seen in Nioh.

If you go in looking for Souls you'll probably hate what you find.

I find it strange to hear about Bloodborne having weapon variety over Nioh... It has awesome animations but the weapons hardly have massively different utilities.

It's like Halo CE vs. Borderlands in terms of variety.

I'm far too familiar with the Dual Blades and single katana, now I want to try to make a Odachi build, thinking of using Obsidian Armor set for the CTA stamina A+

Since my stam is 55, that should take good advantage of it right?

Sarcasm

Shortcuts and some hidden lore. That is the common stuff. Souls has combos but its just timing, but not as button combing as nioh with stances. Then you get loot pinatas in nioh lol (which can be a massive turn off as its a bit much). Nioh though is kind of weird when you get hit, more like stunlocked.

Sure both are action RPGs but really their own thing. The combat is different enough. TBH expecting souls will disappoint you when you go in.

For nioh I recommend skip all the side stuff, stick to the main quest. Side stuff can be when yea need breaks from other games or something..or really drunk.

I got massively bored with the game mainly due to not doing this

Question- for armor set bonus that "increase attack and defense (Guardian spirit) +10", does this mean as long as you have them equipped or does this mean during living weapon?

I think only the WotW set specifically said "when imbuled" but given how unreliable the wording have been in some of these descriptions I thought it's better to ask.

Question- for armor set bonus that "increase attack and defense (Guardian spirit) +10", does this mean as long as you have them equipped or does this mean during living weapon?

I think only the WotW set specifically said "when imbuled" but given how unreliable the wording have been in some of these descriptions I thought it's better to ask.

It's in effect as long as you have the guardian spirit equipped.

IvorB

Let’s get one thing out of the way: Nioh is a Dark Souls clone.

I wish people would drop this lazy categorisation. There are elements from many other games in Nioh, not just souls. There are as many differences as there are similarities.

I wish people would drop this lazy categorisation. There are elements from many other games in Nioh, not just souls. There are as many differences as there are similarities.

I got around to watching the Onimusha: Warlords run from SGDQ and I was like damn, Nioh is an Onimusha remake.

xuchu

Haven't played the game since the last DLC came out, but I checked my play time a few days ago out of interest - 150 hours. By far my most played game. Can't wait to get back into it.

Made a thread for visibility.

Oh shit, tonfas!! That's sick. In ninja gaiden 2 they had that sick tech move that made it so that you can I-frame cancel out of every attack string. Doubt it's gonna work like that in Nioh but excited for the weapon nonetheless. Odachi was cool but far too slow and stamina hungry for my playstyle.

Hybris

I still need to get back in and play the first dlc... But all these steam games and I got a switch recently... Can I just quit working for a month?

Egg0

Banned
Oh no, I just saw there's new DLC coming and I haven't beaten the first one yet.

I've been meaning to ask, but I've been stuck on the first boss of the DLC since release. Is that boss suppose to be super hard?

IvorB

I got around to watching the Onimusha: Warlords run from SGDQ and I was like damn, Nioh is an Onimusha remake.

Never played Onimusha unfortunately :-(. Nioh is a blend of so many different games but people just focus on the souls similarity. Though Team Ninja take part of the blame for this as they definitely focused on that group of fans before release.

Hey all.

I'm very interested in Japanese mythology and I really enjoyed Ninja Gaiden back in the day, especially Black, so I figure this is right up my alley.

Just a quick question. Does this game have a good single player story where the mythology is on display?

Thanks!

Hybris

Hey all.

I'm very interested in Japanese mythology and I really enjoyed Ninja Gaiden back in the day, especially Black, so I figure this is right up my alley.

Just a quick question. Does this game have a good single player story where the mythology is on display?

Thanks!

I enjoyed the story. It can be hard to follow and lacks focus until about half way through the game, especially if you have a hard time remembering Japanese names, but it definitely displays the mythology and more in the back half of the game. It takes the myth as a base and runs wild with it, which as someone who knew next to nothing about it before playing, it was quite exciting.

xuchu

Hey all.

Thanks!

Honestly, the story isn't anything special. Not actively bad or misogynistic like ninja gaiden but mediocre. Despite this, I still enjoyed it. The story can feel disjointed due to how it is presented and how quickly they introduce historical characters and set up events. It left many people confused and struggling to keep up with the story which is actually understandable. I could follow, largely, due to knowing a bit about the sengoku jidai period. I would imagine most people who played the samurai warriors or the onimusha games can also follow.

The main character is based on William Adams - an English sailor - who travelled to Japan for trade and became one of the first western samurai (Was
Yasuke
the first foreign samurai?) I don't remember. It does have this 'white saviour' trope going on which I don't really like in the sense that William goes around solving everyone's problems and essentially winning the war for Tokugawa (the real William Adams was just a samurai in title alone). The story does go a bit batshit insane like you would expect from a team ninja game.

In terms of the Japanese mythology, the historical yokai are rendered front and centre and most are portrayed faithfully and beautifully. Some people say that the enemy designs are generic but most are actually faithful to old, real life yokai drawings and descriptions.

Here is a good video showing the real life and historical influences in Nioh from kendo stances to yokai depictions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p30O1Y5wQTM

He also has a good yokai series if you want to learn more about them outside of the game.

Having said all this, again the story isn't anything special. The main draw is the gameplay. I wouldn't fully expect ninja gaiden, but you can see the team ninja roots in it, right down to how the mid stance katana light attack string is straight up copy pasted from ryu's moveset. The gameplay is a mix of souls/ninja gaiden/diablo. However Nioh differentiates itself so much from all its influences with the stance system, ki pulse and ki flux mechanics that it really is its own beast in terms of gameplay.

If you're into you're Japanese mythology I will recommend it. Hope you enjoy the game.

xuchu

Tonfa Hype

ryu-tonfabqjz.gif

Finally installed the game (from disc) and twice the system said it can't play and it can't read the disc. The disc looks fine. I deleted the game data and figured I would try again. I got it 3 weeks ago from Best Buy in their sale. Judging from their website if this doesn't work tomorrow I'm out $40. Anyone else have this issue with Nioh or other games on PS4?

ngower

I caved and picked it up during the Prime sale because I want one of these Souls-esque games to stick!

I know there's material in the OP, but is there a really concise beginner's guide of stuff I need to know early on? A lot of these beginner guides are super long and it's like...slow your roll, just the basics! Alternatively: any tips for beginner-friendly weapons, armor, etc?

Hybris

I caved and picked it up during the Prime sale because I want one of these Souls-esque games to stick!

I know there's material in the OP, but is there a really concise beginner's guide of stuff I need to know early on? A lot of these beginner guides are super long and it's like...slow your roll, just the basics! Alternatively: any tips for beginner-friendly weapons, armor, etc?

All weapons are viable and more than strong enough to make it through the first playthrough. I'm not sure I'd lean toward any specific weapon for beginner-friendliness.

Min maxing stats early on offers relatively little benefit. IMO it's better to spread your stats around and try out more things to see what you like. Respecs are cheap and unlimited.

Magic is very strong as a supplement to any build, minimal investment will give big returns because of how potent buffs and debuffs can be.

Try to avoid mindset that this game's combat is like souls combat. It really is it's own beast. Explore the skill tree system and spend points liberally. The game gives you tons of skill points to use. Don't be that guy that just ignores the skill system thinks the game is a cheap souls ripoff. The skill and stance system is what makes this game great.

Okay, I need serious, serious help with Date Shigezane. I am never going to beat this fuck. I know his patterns, but his damage and reach is ridiculous.

Are there any tricks to it? I don't care, I'm willing to cheat.

Top Bottom