• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh |OT2| You Can Be My Yojimbo Anytime

Badgerst3

Anyone else unable to connect online?

I was online and did a coop twilight mission and then was kicked offline.

I had updated my PS4 to 4.72 earlier tonight for what it's worth.

Just completed the epilogue section. Dat sequel bait!

So I think I'm pretty much done with the game then. Really enjoyed it, even if it was too long and bloated by half. All the other missions available now square you off against two bosses at the same time, and I just can't do any of them. Too much of a spike in difficulty for me to bother with them I think, even though I do want to complete all the missions just so I can say I did it.

Play around with some ideas for single elemental build sets, going by order of easy and reliability:

----------------------------------------------------------------
Lightning
(3 WotW set & WotW Bow) + (2 Japan's Bravest & Japan's Bravest spear) + (Kara-jishi & Raiken) = Two CCD bonus, electrified bonus, 12% elec dmg, +10 dmg/def for either KJ or RK equipped

Raiken is great to proc electrified and you can use any other lightning weapon as a secondary like Raikiri or Kaido Axe.

Fire
(3 Red Demon set & Red Demon Spear) + (2 Fanatic set & Fanatic Sword) + (Enko & Suzaku) = Two CCD bonus, scorched bonus, 12-15% fire dmg, +10 dmg/def for either En or Su equipped

Can't go wrong with either GS especially now that we can switch freely.

Wind
(3 DDD set & DDD sword) + (2 OED set & OED Dual sword) or (2 Obsidian set & Obsidian axe) + (Seiryuu & Izuna) = Two CCD bonus, Bluster bonus, 15% wind dmg, +10 dmg/def for Izuna equipped, 45% wind weapon dmg

Neither DDD or One eyed dragon weapon have inherit wind dmg so you need to get lucky. Alternatively Obsidian's axe have natural wind damage but you'll lose the wind weapon damage. Blue Dragon might be the better GS vs Izuna.

Earth
(4 Heroic Bull set & Heroic Bull spear) + (1 WotW set & WotW bow & WotW sword) + (Fuse-shi & Shin-Roku) = Two CCD bonus, muddled bonus, 15% earth dmg, +10 dmg/def for Fuse-shi

Because the muddled bonus is the last tier, it requires the use of 4 armor sets for Heroic Bull, so the only other set to get the CCD bonus is WotW. Shin-Roku gives the earth element dmg but not the +10 dmg/def, Fuse-shi is good for knockdowns. Hardest build to make work.
----------------------------------------------------------------

I don't think there's a single set that gives bonus damage to the water debuff enemies.

guyssorry

Hey. Just started this game last night and have a few questions. Any input would be appreciated.

I've played through the Tower and most of the village region right after. Enemies are constantly dropping armor and weapons. How important are these drops (i.e. will I need to farm for better gear/weapons? I'm not sure if I want to do that right now).

I'm going for a spear build, but enemies keep dropping new spears with higher attack ratings. Should I forego the familiarity with my current spear and instantly switch to one with a higher base attack stat?

Is it worth fighting revenants? I've killed a few, but I didn't receive anything special, and I would like to proceed with the missions.

For a spear build, early on in the game, which stats should I prioritize? I've only put points into Body so far (only a few points as of now).

Also, any other tips would be appreciated. The game is fun, but it's already feeling very same-y and rote compared to a certain series that I love, so I am hoping that some advice will help me out. If anyone responds, thanks in advance.

Van Bur3n

Just complimented Tome's clothing and she gave me a shit ton of patronage that got me that one trophy. Well, that was easy.

Hey. Just started this game last night and have a few questions. Any input would be appreciated.

I've played through the Tower and most of the village region right after. Enemies are constantly dropping armor and weapons. How important are these drops (i.e. will I need to farm for better gear/weapons? I'm not sure if I want to do that right now).

I'm going for a spear build, but enemies keep dropping new spears with higher attack ratings. Should I forego the familiarity with my current spear and instantly switch to one with a higher base attack stat?

Is it worth fighting revenants? I've killed a few, but I didn't receive anything special, and I would like to proceed with the missions.

For a spear build, early on in the game, which stats should I prioritize? I've only put points into Body so far (only a few points as of now).

Also, any other tips would be appreciated. The game is fun, but it's already feeling very same-y and rote compared to a certain series that I love, so I am hoping that some advice will help me out. If anyone responds, thanks in advance.

Familiarity can accumulate at a fairly quick rate. No need to stick with one weapon because of it, if you find one with better stats, just use that one. Especially when you start saving up on whetstones and you can fill up weapon familiarity automatically with them.

Revenants are the best means of getting the best loot in the game. You shouldn't summon every single one you see to fight them, just look for the ones that have the good loot. Ones with a lot of ultra rare stuff for instance. Also, look out for ones with red names as well. Those are ones placed into the game by the devs and sometimes they drop unique stuff.

Body is the stat that scales most with spear, so if you plan on using the spear a lot, invest in it. Even better that it bumps up your health as well. If you decide to use a second weapon however, its good that it also shares a scaling stat with spear (for example, spear has C scaling with Skill, and duel swords have B scaling with Skill). So, when you decide to level another attribute for that second weapon, it can at least scale a bit with your spear as well.

Another piece of advice, don't play this game like Souls, if that is the certain series you're referring to is that. Don't ignore your weapon stances and their skills. Utilizing them and experimenting with different ones will not only make things easier for you in that it will make you play better, but also really get the most out of this game as its combat is one of the better ones out there and is the strongest aspect of this game.

- Feel free to switch out your gear as soon as you find something better. For most of the main game that's how it'll be like- Think Diablo. Investing in a gear is a more endgame mechanic. That said keep an eye out for the bonus abilities for each weapon, not all values can be measure with just increase damage.

- Revenants gives you a chance to drop high level gear that the player who died is wearing. A good bet is to go for high level graves or high difficulty graves as indicated by the number of red markers on the grave's UI. Killing Revenants also frequently join Ochoko cups, which are items used to summon other players into your game to help you.

- I would try to get 20 for both Dex and Magic, because their mystic arts have a minimal stat requirement of 20 to do their respective mystic arts mission. If you're not interested in that you should aim to get 25 for Spirit. You'll need 25 Spirit to unlock passive bonus from all the Guardian Spirits in the game.

Baalzebup

Damn, I haven't really taken a look at how tempering works until now and just did the WotD Twilight missions when I felt like it, but it seems that to get the most out of the tempering functions it would be wise to have some of all the qualities of Umbracite instead of just banking the best one. 6 daily speed-running missions a day, here I come.

Damn, I'm on WotS and I'm not killing Otani comfortably fast enough with my current gear before Mitsunari shows up. I've basically when full reckless with my Odachi spamming Moonlit Snow, as that's the only damn thing powerful enough even with a Lightning Build. And Mitsunari's problem is he's too dangerous- he can OSK me with his grab combo.

But the gear drops from him is damn good- Assuming he even drops any Divine. I can't seem to get any co-op going so I can't be too spam happy with my ochoko cups. Ideally I want to get 4 sets for his wind damage bonus to make a Seiryuu-type build PWAR, only not LW.

Btw speaking of PWAR, it seems he found out that haven't multiple CCD bonus from armor set is not as good as having different damage bonus types- Which would explain the sudden rise in Tatenashi set's popularity.

xuchu

Btw speaking of PWAR, it seems he found out that haven't multiple CCD bonus from armor set is not as good as having different damage bonus types- Which would explain the sudden rise in Tatenashi set's popularity.

Wasn't only PWAR :p (was a combined effort from Reddit, gamefaqs and even some people from here) but yes his vids are great for disseminating info.

Was shortly after the 1.06 missions patch that people ,myself included, started to see something weird with stacking the same special effect (be it CCD, final blow dmg or SOTC DMV). There are diminishing returns after a certain point. That certain point is roughly 30%. So instead of stacking CCD past 30% via weapons and set bonuses, it is indeed better to have something like 20% CCD from weapon, agility dmg bonus from ranged weapon (this affects your melee weapon too) and equipment weight dmg bonus from Tatenashi.

Min/maxing during endgame is a combination of these following factors:

- Familiarity Damage Bonus on your weapon

- Change to Attack (some stat you have at 99) on your weapon

- 20% CCD on your weapon

- At least 1 set bonus for a big bump in CCD (like Japan's Bravest)

- Equipment Weight Damage Bonus or Agility Damage Bonus on your ranged weapons (depending on what your agility and/or other set bonuses are)

- Hitting from behind (secondary bonus from bat GS is good to increase this)

- Stacking attack buffs from multiple sources, i.e. Helmet buff for absorbing Amrita, Feet buff for purification, Body buff for being surrounded, Guardian Spirit buff like Tengen Kujaku High Stance or Kara-Jishu skill buff, Rage/Power Pill/Carnage (pick one), etc.

- Stats optimized for maximum weapon damage (i.e. Heart+Strength+Skill for Katana, etc.)

- Stacking Set / Star Skill bonuses. (i.e. Gallantry set bonus for Night Rain damage plus forgeable star skill bonus for Night Rain) Japan's Bravest is also good for this

- you may have not seen star skills (do they first start appearing during WoTD?) but they are unique special effects that ONLY appear on first creation of a weapon be it via a drop or when forging a NEW weapon. I.e: you cannot get a star skill via re-forging. They are sometimes very strong as you can get things like 25% SOTC or Iai QuickDraw dmg increase. I think there is a Moonlit snow version as well.

- Clan damage bonuses, i.e. Kuroda, Todo, etc.

- Inherit Attack onto all armor pieces from gloves via soulmatching
-
- Todo clan along with Tatenashi is a very, very strong combo as it gives 2% attack and 2% hp up per heavy armour equipped. They really need to give light and med armor bonuses in other clans. I'm stupid as it's Oda 4 Lyf for me even though it's bonuses are not very good. Anything that gets confused (discorded) is as good as dead anyway.

- Maximise your weapon level with soulmatching with 205+ level weapons, ensure you have a +20 modifier on your weapon

- Take all of the damage generating passives from all weapon types, i.e. Shadow Strike from Kusarigama, Tachi Arts from Dual Swords, etc. These passives apply regardless of what type of weapon you are using.
Focus on big damage skills like Lumber Chop, Night Rain, Sign of the Cross, etc.

Top tier guardian spirits are:
- Kara Jishi - using a skill (you use them all the time) gives a 40% attack increase buff that stacks multiplicatively with all your other attack bonuses.

- Tengen Kujaku - absorbing Amrita when in high stance gives you a whopping 60% attack increase buff again stacking multiplicatively. A bit more complicated to use as you have to use extraction talisman to get the full benefits.

- Kato - such a well rounded spirit that gives CCD, CCDki reduction and other great things. Simple to use as the passive are always in affect.

-----------------------------

For new players, don't worry about all this. Just play through the game normally, no real need to use the blacksmith as it may overwhelm you. All this advice is for NG+ (way of the strong and beyond difficulty).

Sorry for the long post but hope this helps you and others at endgame.

^Dude, that's crazy detailed! Thanks! So this was what people meant when they say you can still be OP but it takes harder work (or more expensive),

I'm not generally a fan of min-maxing, ideally I prefer to do 'cosplay' builds, but I'm not stubborn enough that I don't realize I need to be compromising to get those extra damage for NG+ content lol.

Currently I'm thinking of making a build where I can switch between using the elemental debuff bonus damage from WotW set (lightning), DDD set (Wind), Red Demon set (Fire).

xuchu

Yeah I have a Yasuke cosplay build STR/STA build, it's fun but not really worth it to triple dip on stamina scaling. Then again, I haven't spent as much time on that character than my main dual sword character.

One thing that I forgot to mention was a useful new weapon special effect called Close combat damage (zero Ki). This special effect was added with the DLC patch along with others. What makes this one very good though is that this does not conflict with regular CCD. You can replace final blow dmg with CCD (zero Ki) if you want to have a dedicated yokai weapon as you won't use final blows on yokai generally.

Don't get mixed up with CCD (out of Ki) though as that is a totally separate effect which increases one attack against humans when they are panting out of Ki. Generally it's not worth it IIRC. Much better to have final blow dmg against humans. Team ninja and their silly confusing effects.

CCD (zero Ki) goes up to 25% IIRC and increases the damage dealt when you break yokai horns or when they are generally in a zero Ki state. This massively increases damage on bosses like Otani and Mitsunari.

I often see this particular effect neglected but it's very strong.

^ So erm, at what gear level should I be looking at to comfortably tackle late level NG+ missions? I've barely been able to put a dent in Oda-Yuki and Mutsunari could still potentially 2-shot me even though my current gear level is Lv150(+5)

xuchu

^ So erm, at what gear level should I be looking at to comfortably tackle late level NG+ missions? I've barely been able to put a dent in Oda-Yuki and Mutsunari could still potentially 2-shot me even though my current gear level is Lv150(+5)

Don't really remember. We used to struggle, pre-dlc patch, with endgame WotS missions with 160(+10) weapons max.

However, now that the dlc raised the weapon level cap to 210(+20), I would just advise you go into the first region of WotD if you have unlocked that and you will naturally get much higher upgrades than anything you will find in WotS. Then you can come back and wreck those endgame WotS missions.

I suspect farming for weapons now though will be a little premature as once the second dlc drops, all our gear become obsolete by the very first drop we get. Wasn't the first odachi that dropped lvl 160?

Don't really remember. We used to struggle, pre-dlc patch, with endgame WotS missions with 160(+10) weapons max.

Wow, from the way I remembered everyone talking at the start of the free patch content I thought everyone had easily blown through it lol.

I suspect farming for weapons now though will be a little premature as once the second dlc drops, all our gear become obsolete by the very first drop we get. Wasn't the first odachi that dropped lvl 160?

Not for Way of the Samurai ^^; My first Odachi was a Lv150 Divine. And most of the loot was also at that level.

xuchu

Wow, from the way I remembered everyone talking at the start of the free patch content I thought everyone had easily blown through it lol.

Honestly can't really remember, but some the gank spank arena style missions in 1.06 are among the hardest challenges in the game.

Of course if you're vastly overlevelled and min max gear you can trivialise any and all content in the game including the WotD 1.06 missions.

Best place for guidance for a new player? I'm early in but so far I LOVE what I'm seeing and think I'm going to really like the game, but there is a ton to take in. Did the first 2 missions and then was a little overwhelmed by the forge and all of the options you get :lol. Should I just dissemble like 99% of stuff?

My starting weapons had really no affect other than a stat boost correct?

Should I just google for decent builds that scale well w/ weapons?

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
Good lord those 2v1 boss fights. I'm absolutely in love with this game and didn't even feel the bloat that affects so many towards the end, but my enthusiasm has fallen flat at these ridiculous bosses. Need to take some time off and come back to it.

Are there hackers?

Hino-enma, murdered me like 10 times, I tried to summon someone and they killed her like it was nothing. Does this not have level caps?

Are there hackers?

Hino-enma, murdered me like 10 times, I tried to summon someone and they killed her like it was nothing. Does this not have level caps?

No hackers outside of lagswitching assholes in PVP as far as I can tell and there is a level cap but the gear has a much larger impact than level does and the gear you can accrue in end game frankly trivializes anything in the first two difficulty levels. Its not uncommon to one shot or kill normal or WOTStr level bosses in seconds. You probably just got someone decked out in endgame gear.

No hackers outside of lagswitching assholes in PVP as far as I can tell and there is a level cap but the gear has a much larger impact than level does and the gear you can accrue in end game frankly trivializes anything in the first two difficulty levels. Its not uncommon to one shot or kill normal or WOTStr level bosses in seconds. You probably just got someone decked out in endgame gear.

So like in a souls game where they keep their level low but had great gear. Got it. Well that was sort of annoying, I didn't want them to break it, just some help haha.

Edit: can you leave a level once you've started it?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Decided to pick this up again and start fresh. Amazing how quick you can power through the opening when you have a basic understanding of the mechanics of these types of games. Two Knights at once with basic gear? No big deal.

It's been SO long since I've touched the game...Can you really screw up your character? I'm decided between Axe and Spear as my starting weapon. But do those bonuses have any end-game impact?

So like in a souls game where they keep their level low but had great gear. Got it. Well that was sort of annoying, I didn't want them to break it, just some help haha.

Edit: can you leave a level once you've started it?

Yes you can. You can use a Himorogi Branch (one time use consumable) and leave with all the amrita you acquired or you can use the Himorogi Fragment (unlimited use) and leave but lose all your acquired amrita.

Decided to pick this up again and start fresh. Amazing how quick you can power through the opening when you have a basic understanding of the mechanics of these types of games. Two Knights at once with basic gear? No big deal.

It's been SO long since I've touched the game...Can you really screw up your character? I'm decided between Axe and Spear as my starting weapon. But do those bonuses have any end-game impact?

It is trivially easy to respec in the game so dont stress out about min maxing your character at the start just experiment and have fun. Try to find your preferred playstyle and then once you do start to look into making a build around it. The only advice I'd give early on is to boost spirit to gain all the benefits of your preferred guardian spirits as they can be a game changer esp early on.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
It is trivially easy to respec in the game so dont stress out about min maxing your character at the start just experiment and have fun. Try to find your preferred playstyle and then once you do start to look into making a build around it. The only advice I'd give early on is to boost spirit to gain all the benefits of your preferred guardian spirits as they can be a game changer esp early on.

Cool - thanks.

Here's another question. Apparently I bought the digital deluxe edition when the game first came out. So I have the gold armor and those starting weapons available right at the start. How long do those remain viable? I pick up everything I see and offer it because why not, but I haven't been paying TOO much attention in the first level to anything I get because I just make the wide assumption that everything I'll find is poo in comparison.

Cool - thanks.

Here's another question. Apparently I bought the digital deluxe edition when the game first came out. So I have the gold armor and those starting weapons available right at the start. How long do those remain viable? I pick up everything I see and offer it because why not, but I haven't been paying TOO much attention in the first level to anything I get because I just make the wide assumption that everything I'll find is poo in comparison.

They're strong starting weapons but you'll probably want to start replacing them towards the end of the first region or start of the second. They have some fantastic (and unique) perks that you might want to keep them around for but inevitably their damage absorption or output will just fall too far below the gear you pick up to be worth the sacrifice. If you really like that armor and weapon and their perks you could always forge higher level versions at the blacksmith as you level up to boost their effectiveness throughout your playthrough but I would really encourage you not to do that and to experiment with different playstyles and builds so you can find the ones you really enjoy the most.

As a side note: no gear is useless. Especially when you are starting out. Any gear you don't want to equip can be disassembled (blacksmith), sold (blacksmith), or donated (shrine or hidden teahouse) so its to your benefit in the long run to pick up everything you can and clean house after each mission ends. Specifically disassembling and using lower grade materials to forge higher grade ones can be a big help when you try to forge armor and weapons with the perks you want later on. That said if inventory management is just something you cant stand doing you certainly have to pick things up just know that doing so will help minimize any need to grind for materials later on.

Some more info on the new DLC from translations of Famitsu's HQ scans:

• Ninja guy with tonfas is confirmed to be Sarutobi Sasuke, who leads the Sanada Ten Braves. His tonfas
    have a special gimmick where they release explosives
  • Sasaki Kojiro, who is famous for fighting Miyamoto Musashi on Ganryu Island,
    appears in the game's sub-missions. He wields an odachi but he moves much faster than normal odachi users. He apparently is also in possession of
    the Nurarihyon Guardian Spirit that was seen with Date Masamune in DLC 1.
  • Confirmed Guardian Spirits we can receive are
    Enku (Yukimura's horse spirit-thing) and Nurarihyon. No news on Janome-cho.
    Total number of new spirits is also unknown.
  • Osaka Winter Campaign is a new map where the opposing army in Osaka Castle towers can fire very painful fire arrows, even to users with high-spec divine armor. Thus, the player will need to use sandbags as a shield while moving towards placed cannons to take them down.
  • Sanadamaru is the second new map which has a stretched underground communication network known as Sanada's Loophole, which is used by ninjas to confuse invaders.
    The Sanada Ten Braves will be fought here, culminating in a final battle against Yukimura himself.
  • The third new map is Mt. Inari, where foxes normally thought to be deities are turned into yokai that attack the player and use illusions to block the player's progress. This stage is used in sub-missions.
  • New Onmyo and Ninjutsu will be added. One such Onmyo magic includes the ability to shoot wind arrows.
  • The new difficulty level is known as Way of the Enlightenment, and can only be unlocked by completing the Way of the Demon difficulty from DLC 1.

via rpgsite

Deku Tree

I am level 400. If I get summoned to help with HE or any normal mode boss then I can destroy them in like two seconds. It's not hacking.

Deku Tree

Wait so are "new maps" meaning a new region with 2-3 main story missions? Or is a "new map" just one new story mission?

If DLC2 has several new regions with the same number of missions as a typical region then it is much bigger than DLC1.

Pompadour

Wait so are "new maps" meaning a new region with 2-3 main story missions? Or is a "new map" just one new story mission?

If DLC2 has several new regions with the same number of missions as a typical region then it is much bigger than DLC1.

It's probably the former. Three new levels that support main missions and multiple sub missions each. If it's a new region I'm sure it'll have other sub missions that inexplicably feature locales from earlier regions.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I need some help breaking my "always use ax, always use high stance" gameplay. I just find that it gets the job done always. Early on at least.

What are reasons I would want to start switching up my stances (either pre or mid combat)?

Deku Tree

Yes it’s 2-3 new main missions with new environments. A new region. The rest will be side missions in recycled geometry. A new dojo mission for the tonfa probably too.

I need some help breaking my "always use ax, always use high stance" gameplay. I just find that it gets the job done always. Early on at least.

What are reasons I would want to start switching up my stances (either pre or mid combat)?
Aside from style, it's not exactly mandatory to learn to play the game. But it will probably be a slog, judging by lobosjr who played through the entire game being a scrub and complaining about it. " This boss has too much hp" etc will likely be a complaint.

The axe is not a popular weapon for style, it can be cool and effective though.
I don't have much for axe, but here's a video vs an early boss. Using low stance for mobility, high stance for damage and ki break, and a mix of abilities for extra damage and ki break.
https://youtu.be/qaQnWy7vJzU

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Aside from style, it's not exactly mandatory to learn to play the game. But it will probably be a slog, judging by lobosjr who played through the entire game being a scrub and complaining about it. " This boss has too much hp" etc will likely be a complaint.

The axe is not a popular weapon for style, it can be cool and effective though.
I don't have much for axe, but here's a video vs an early boss. Using low stance for mobility, high stance for damage and ki break, and a mix of abilities for extra damage and ki break.
https://youtu.be/qaQnWy7vJzU

That's a fantastic example that I can learn from. I never even considered using low for mobility like that. Thanks.

I should have asked this a million years ago, but what happens when you soul match an equipment with a transferable bonus, to another equipment with a different transferable bonus?

Which bonus would stay? The base or the sacrifice?

Top Bottom