• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh |OT2| You Can Be My Yojimbo Anytime

Man, I don't dig the Tonfa, but let me try having all the skills first.

And, Date, with his permanently "on" Living Weapons with no recovery time, makes using normal weapons useless. He'll be one of the troubles in the "Way of the Wise."

xuchu

Really enjoying WotW. Just finished all the missions in the first region. Even common mooks just one hit kill me now, but my damage is still great with Master Swordsman/Kingo build so it ain't that hard just yet. Got surprised by some of the new moves that common enemies have like butt slam from the cyclops and spinning cyclone from the big axe skeletons.

For Ethereal gear, seems as though the best thing to do is rush to Marobashi and farm them.

My podcast game is back.

Izuna

Banned
Did Region 1 then went to Titanfall..

I fucking love WotW.

It's a lot easier to play with LV200 equipment in WotW than it was with LV150 stuff in WotD however, so basically it is a little easier than last DLC for me.

But I LOVE THIS GAME

If you're still low level, there's a really easy WotW mission called "The Three Souls" that can be run in under 5 minutes and gives 3x Cruxidian Crystals (300,000,000 Amrita total) per clear.

This feels like something they'll patch, so get in while you can

Izuna

Banned
If you're still low level, there's a really easy WotW mission called "The Three Souls" that can be run in under 5 minutes and gives 3x Cruxidian Crystals (300,000,000 Amrita total) per clear.

noted :D

What's the fastest way to level up if I'm stuck in WotS ^^; ? I'm not able to farm Restless Spirit yet lol.

In the sense that I keep getting twoshot by Mitsunari.

Edit: alternatively, the two kings I Guess... that rock is my Best Friend....

Naite

I really love the tonfa animations, but struggling to find some good use out of them compared to the existing weapons. The only useful thing I've done so far is Demon Dance>Pulverize into another Demon Dance for ki damage/youkai.

xuchu

iEAAYZY.jpg

Ethereal items being drop only is fine but one thing that I do not like is since you cannot craft it you need full stat requirements to use them. I was previously using a fully crafted divine set only needing 6 body and 6 strength, now I need 13 body and 13 strength. It's ok, just respecced and wasn't a big deal. Haven't used umbracite/tempering mechanic to reforge since it's introduction and really liking it. Cuts the need to save-scum and is a really nice QoL mechanic.

Got increased i-frames too, so it's time to:

spHQ9f7.gif

I need to go to bed.

Izuna

Banned
They can have unique special effects like increased i-frames and other cool stuff.

Oh alright, then in which case it isn't urgent to replace the Monk's Helmet with one (which, btw, would take a million years to get haha).

I made this gif ages ago but

WmUdJTl.gif

It's fucking incredibly useful and it's weird that more people don't do it.

Anyone know where the third cannonball is in the first DLC mission?

The guy at the start only gave me two, and now I'm at the final cannon with no ammo.

xuchu

Anyone know where the third cannonball is in the first DLC mission?

The guy at the start only gave me two, and now I'm at the final cannon with no ammo.

It is on a body in the battlefield to the northeast of the final cannon. It is near a ladder going down to the moat.

Are you doing DLC on WotW? If so, how you finding it.

It is on a body in the battlefield to the northeast of the final cannon. It is near a ladder going down to the moat.

Are you doing DLC on WotW? If so, how you finding it.

Thanks.

Nah. I wanted to, but you have to fill progress bars to unlock regions again. So dumb.

Melchior

I haven't played the first DLC and I'm planning on going through both of them ASAP. But I was wondering how the difficulty is? Nearing the end of the game it was getting a bit too easy. Is it worth pumping through way of the strong and then doing the DLCs or are they difficult enough on ng.

Izuna

Banned
Umo Bozu was easy this time around

so yeah, WotW is easier in the sense that you're not gunna be under levelled with LV200 hear like you would be with LV150 gear in WotD

--

almost done with 3 regions on main missions, I hate that you gotta redo all the side missions when you play a lter difficulty, but whatevs haha

Naite

I recommend Kannagi mystic art for tonfas. Lets you do Demon Dance and its followups during the startup of other attacks, and that includes Mountain Breaker while you're still in mid leap. You don't get a ki pulse if you do this version, but you still get the invincibility frames from Demon Dance.

I don't know if the damage boost from the other mystic art is worth it, but I find this one more fun to use.

Izuna

Banned
First 3 regions of story missions done \o/ on WotW

sadly it means I have a ways to go to unlock the DLC (gotta do all them side missions dammit)

Nice! Thanks for the tip. I'm still only lvl 319 despite beating everything in the game prior to the new DLC release so this should be very helpful indeed. Anyone know what the new max LVL is?

I'm kinda disappointed in the new DLC so far. Way of the Wise sounds dope, but it'll be a while before I can try it. The Tonfas are super cool and pretty fun, but not viable at all. Trying to get damage out of these is like trying to squeeze water from a stone. You need to commit to combos and other attacks with longer animations that can't be canceled with a dodge. Most of the skills seem pretty redundant. I was hyped for that uppercut in mid stance but it does not launch enemies. Or really do anything that the high stance L1 and triangle doesn't do better. There's a sweep that doesn't knock dudes down, the double kick didn't seem to do much ki damage (I could be wrong here), and all of the follow-up attacks don't really seem to have a point. I know they probably be useful with some practice but boy are they just so obtuse. Their big lunging swings carry me past 0 ki enemies leaving William doing sick katas to thin air.

The first stage is just so mean. I really didn't have fun navigating the awkward terrain, only giving you enough cannonballs to stop 2 zones sucks (though I guess you can find more so maybe I'm dumb), and they even have a point of no return past the first arrow zone.

The new enemies are terrible. The ninja Doggos and foxes can just be stun locked to death by low stance, square, square, square, square... they only seem to have any effect in groups which makes their most interesting mode of engagement be merely an annoyance. Big foxes are a slight improvement, though they just seem to get stuck walking in a circle if I hug their flank. The corpse umibozu's are cool. I like all their new moves. The bomb dwellers are pointless, you just break the barrel in one hit and they're back to just being a dweller. The bosses are cool. I liked fighting both of them.

Story-wise Nioh's just biding its time. All the important events of this DLC's plot is just set up. At least Dragon of the North had some cool plot points besides establishing Maria and Date. Combined with the fact the next DLC is going to be siege of Osaka (Spring) (I'm pretty sure, but correct me if I'm wrong) it's hard to feel excited about the future of this game. Also not gonna lie, definitely mad I didn't get the cute moth girl spirit. Pretty much all I've wanted since I first fought Otani.

xuchu

I'm kinda disappointed in the new DLC so far. Way of the Wise sounds dope, but it'll be a while before I can try it. The Tonfas are super cool and pretty fun, but not viable at all. Trying to get damage out of these is like trying to squeeze water from a stone. You need to commit to combos and other attacks with longer animations that can't be canceled with a dodge. Most of the skills seem pretty redundant. I was hyped for that uppercut in mid stance but it does not launch enemies. Or really do anything that the high stance L1 and triangle doesn't do better. There's a sweep that doesn't knock dudes down, the double kick didn't seem to do much ki damage (I could be wrong here), and all of the follow-up attacks don't really seem to have a point. I know they probably be useful with some practice but boy are they just so obtuse. Their big lunging swings carry me past 0 ki enemies leaving William doing sick katas to thin air.

I have to agree with this assessment. I simply don't know how to make the tonfa viable. The foundation of Nioh's combat is Ki breaking the enemies and punishing as a result (yes, I know you have LW builds and kunai builds that don't care about that but I'm just talking about the simple foundation) and it seems to have crappy ki break moves and long attack animations (though you can cancel out of them using the tonfa mystic art).

I was excited when I saw that the tonfa had a backwave (perfect guard parry) equivalent to the sword but the follow up does not ground opponents, it does two uppercuts that barely does any damage or ki damage. In fact enemies seemingly recover their ki while you're doing those uppercuts o_O

The only thing I can think of that will make tonfa more viable as a simple foundational weapon is using the sarutobi gunsticks, which has a unique special effect called tonfa gun. This causes an explosion during combo enders like devastation. Absentmindedly dissembled mine without testing but maybe that will do more ki damage.

Hey Xuchu, base on that long post from before about the new 'meta' for NG+, is it right to say that since stacking as many CCD from different set bonuses is not the best method anymore, having focus on a single armor set is now viable?

I'm thinking of a Wind+Water Masamune build with:

5 set bonus from OED
2 set bonus from Cross Sickle for final blow
2 set bonus from DDD for Night Rain
2 set bonus from Justice for Moon Shadow

Dual Katana + Wind + Moon Shadow for Humans
Katana + Water + Night Rain for Youkai

xuchu

^ that's pretty solid build. Night rain got a buff a few patches ago too so it does crazy damage when you have that set bonus too.

Btw if you want to farm amrita in WotSt, just drink some saisetsu shin sake and do marobashi. It's much easier than the dual bosses and you get more amrita. In order to unlock it I think you will have to do all the dojo missions though.

^ that's pretty solid build. Night rain got a buff a few patches too so it does crazy damage when you have that set bonus too.

Plus I feel that going for the Confusion is a much better deal than going for a single elemental debuff bonus damage. (I might get Earth or Lightning shot for good measures).

Fortunately Masamune uses dual elements as well lol. Keeping it in the cosplay!

Btw if you want to farm amrita in WotSt, just drink some saisetsu shin sake and do marobashi. It's much easier than the dual bosses and you get more amrita. In order to unlock it I think you will have to do all the dojo missions though.

Where to get the Sake? Is it free flow (meaning easy to get) ?

xuchu

Where to get the Sake? Is it free flow (meaning easy to get) ?

Try to find that long post from before, I think I show a good sake farming route. I'm not at home now so can't check easily.

But try to get to WotD as there are far easier ways to farm Amrita now with this patch. The three souls mission rewards gives you 3 mysticite crystal consumables that give you 30mil Amrita total in WotD and 300mil Amrita total in WotW. It's a very easy mission to run through too even if underlevelled.

Try to find that long post from before, I think I show a good sake farming route. I'm not at home now so can't check easily.

But try to get to WotD as there are far easier ways to farm Amrita now with this patch. The three souls mission rewards gives you 3 mysticite crystal consumables that give you 30mil Amrita total in WotD and 300mil Amrita total in WotW. It's a very easy mission to run through too even if underlevelled.

Won't I be obliterated with Divine +6 only gear in WotD ?

Hybris

Oh alright, then in which case it isn't urgent to replace the Monk's Helmet with one (which, btw, would take a million years to get haha).

I made this gif ages ago but

WmUdJTl.gif

It's fucking incredibly useful and it's weird that more people don't do it.

Yeah when you made that post a while back I was like
1-9eNQQwTAFt6LHP9Dq8CdPg.gif

Works in all directions too and for changing stances twice. I use it all the time.

Baalzebup

The ethereal grade items have some really interesting effects. I've seen at least 3 different non-set item specials that make that piece of gear part of these non-specific item sets. An accessory spawned with Change to Attack (Stamina) D+ and the previously Yasakani exclusive "-1 to set items needed" special.

Ahahah, there is a special that allows one to deflect (as in, actually return to sender) Onmyo talismans with a timely guard.

Holy shit how do you defeat super-Masamune?! I never had this much trouble with him in my initial boss fight but now I'm getting slaughtered by his living weapon spam 0_o

Izuna

Banned
Holy shit how do you defeat super-Masamune?! I never had this much trouble with him in my initial boss fight but now I'm getting slaughtered by his living weapon spam 0_o

Is this the dude in DLC 1?

You gotta stay at a distance and punish only. You can't stagger this dude when he has Ki but you can use Extraction to make sure he runs out eventually.

Is this the dude in DLC 1?

You gotta stay at a distance and punish only. You can't stagger this dude when he has Ki but you can use Extraction to make sure he runs out eventually.

Yeah the one eyed dragon dude. I'm using a dual katana so I have him matched for range though

Maybe I should just Lightning him up to slow him down lol

I assume this is some post regular game type stuff?

edit: Is DLC endgame type stuff or does it incorporate into the story?

Top Bottom