• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh |OT2| You Can Be My Yojimbo Anytime

I've just bought this in the sale, played about an hour last night. Is there anything I really need to know about it going in? Can I completely fuck up my build and make it unviable or anything? There's tons of loot right so don't need to worry about missing some weapon?

Nope, there are respec items that you can get to respec your stats anytime. You'll be given them as quest rewards here and there, but there is also an infinite source you can buy from if you have the gold for it. Using it would reset your stat points and skill points (for abilities) you will lose nothing. Your 'souls' would be returned to you to respend.

Missions can be replayed, so even if you missed any secrets the first time around you can go back to get it later with a guide.

There is absolutely nothing (important) that you can lose, so feel free to experiment with everything!

danthefan

Nope, there are respec items that you can get to respec your stats anytime. You'll be given them as quest rewards here and there, but there is also an infinite source you can buy from if you have the gold for it. Using it would reset your stat points and skill points (for abilities) you will lose nothing. Your 'souls' would be returned to you to respend.

Missions can be replayed, so even if you missed any secrets the first time around you can go back to get it later with a guide.

There is absolutely nothing (important) that you can lose, so feel free to experiment with everything!

Great thanks. I get awful fear these days of missing stuff that can't be recovered, or going with the wrong build, etc so this is reassuring!

I haven't even started a mission yet but I'm liking the thought of a mission structure.

Great thanks. I get awful fear these days of missing stuff that can't be recovered, or going with the wrong build, etc so this is reassuring!

Yup, I know exactly how you feel because it's the same for me.

To me, if I had to describe Nioh as a something-dark souls, it would be a "Less Stubborn" Dark Souls.

Is there any good way to farm specific eurethrial gear? I'm really trying to get the susano set for that 25% quick attack bonus. I've got four pieces but they are really hard to come by been farming Marobashi for a couple of hours now. I feel like I can make almost all the other sets easily but not the one I want.

Deku Tree

Is there any good way to farm specific eurethrial gear? I'm really trying to get the susano set for that 25% quick attack bonus. I've got four pieces but they are really hard to come by been farming Marobashi for a couple of hours now. I feel like I can make almost all the other sets easily but not the one I want.

Supposedly some youtube videos claim you get the highest chance on the highest level missions against someone wearing/using the piece that you want.

Greddleok

Played the first DLC. It's pretty good, I was actually the perfect level for it considering I hadn't finished NG+ yet.
All of the bosses were enjoyable, with the first the hardest imo. I found an interesting tactic using the Ninja Scroll which is now one of my favourite moves.
After dying with the quick change buff, you can immediately do a falling attack for insane damage.
It was the only way I could beat the fist boss.

I'm not a big fan of the weapon. It feels too similar to the axe to me. Not liking it so much.

There's a trophy for getting all level 15 gear...how the fuck do you do that?

Kevtones

Oh man. Finally playing this.

Best game I've played on PS4 this year. Well this or Yakuza 0.

Found HZD to be meh, Persona labored and Nier just good (not great)... this is great!

Hard too. Love it.

drabnon

Hi guys, I started my first play through of this game recently. I've played the Dark Souls series and Bloodborne so I feel pretty comfortable with the game so far, even though there are significant differences. I just wanted to ask, am I leveling correctly? I've been using dual swords and an axe, and have gotten my skill up to 19 and my strength up to 13. Any skills I should be acquiring or stat changes I should make? I don't like looking up character builds so if you guys could give me a general sense of where I'm going it would be appreciated.

Anyway, really digging the game and am stuck on the thunder boss right now

Hi guys, I started my first play through of this game recently. I've played the Dark Souls series and Bloodborne so I feel pretty comfortable with the game so far, even though there are significant differences. I just wanted to ask, am I leveling correctly? I've been using dual swords and an axe, and have gotten my skill up to 19 and my strength up to 13. Any skills I should be acquiring or stat changes I should make? I don't like looking up character builds so if you guys could give me a general sense of where I'm going it would be appreciated.

Anyway, really digging the game and am stuck on the thunder boss right now

I suggest you to invest some point on ninjustsu and/or magic because there are some useful spell like buff/debuffs.
But you don't have to worry about this until later in the game. And you can respec quite easily in this game :)

drabnon

Thanks for the advice on stats. I'll keep it in mind as I play. Also, should I be switching stances mid-combo? Right now I'm just sticking to low stance so I can dodge around everywhere.

Milijango

Thanks for the advice on stats. I'll keep it in mind as I play. Also, should I be switching stances mid-combo? Right now I'm just sticking to low stance so I can dodge around everywhere.

I'd say yes, as the higher stances have better damage whereas the lower ones give better blocking (medium) or evasion (low). Once you've unlocked Ki Flux you'll get extra ki anytime you change stance as part of ki pulse.

The odachi can change stance as part of its attacks but its a DLC weapon so you probably won't have it.

Naite

Amrita gain is up. Yay. Hope completing missions a second time has decent amrita gain as well since I already completed most of them.

Tonfas still relatively unchanged other than the low demon dance bug which no one would care about because the hyperspecific devastation build is the only decent way to go.

xuchu

Full English 1.16 patch notes:

http://m.imgur.com/a/ncATS

TL;DR:

- Skill-based PVP mode added. All your gear / skills / and so on are heavily adjusted to force a balanced encounter.
- Level cap increased to 550.
- More Amrita from WotW missions.
- More Amrita form Level 500 enemies and above (seems to be 10x more from both enemies and mission rewards)
- Fixed low stance demon dance into pulverise for Tonfa. (Still the de facto weakest weapon in the game, needs better tracking and higher break/ki damage values for its normal attacks and skills. Also idiotic decision in locking the tonfa's most damaging skill behind one particular tonfa)

- adjusted timing and hitbox of Sign of the Cross

At first I was like:

giphy.gif

- improved the hitbox of an uncharged Sign of the Cross
- shortened the time of a fully charged iai QuickDraw

But then:

giphy.gif

danthefan

I'm getting absolutely annihilated by the first boss. Must have died 20 times now and haven't gotten close to killing it. Fuck.

Edit, another ten goes and finally got him. My god that was a difficulty spike imo.

ZangBa

I accidently sold all my items below divine quality. Welp, there goes all my crafting mats, amrita stones and whatnot.

drabnon

Should I be completing all these sub-missions? Most of them seem like recycled stages and monsters although there was a unique boss battle with Muneshige. I have the option to move on to the next region now. Also should I be doing the Twilight Missions? Haven't touched those yet.

Ogawa-san

Way of the Wise is exactly what I expected it to be.

I made to Ii Naomasa before giving up, and I haven't even touched the DLC2 yet.

Naite

Just learned that weakness talismans buff certain enemies which explains why that damn cat took me so long

Really wished that this game would explain what all these stupid little icons in the game are. Still trying to find the icon for enemies that break my quick change scroll and nullify damage buffs.

gunbo13

I have yet to explore the new DLC plus difficulty, which I'm seeing mixed reviews of. Really, after way of the demon which is full of one hit kills, I'm not surprised it is a dumb slaughter fest. I'll have to try it out.

Cool farming thing below though but many of you may be past it.

Way of the Demon
Marobashi Sub Mission in Tokai Region
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VEwadaI9R0

You get a ton of +14, +15 greens and a ton of Amrita following this method. It isn't the easiest battle, but it reaps rewards.

Main Items:
Weakness Talismans
Power Pills
Saisetsu-shin Sake
Extraction Talisman
Rejuvenation Talisman

Pompadour

I have yet to explore the new DLC plus difficulty, which I'm seeing mixed reviews of. Really, after way of the demon which is full of one hit kills, I'm not surprised it is a dumb slaughter fest. I'll have to try it out.

Cool farming thing below though but many of you may be past it.

Way of the Demon
Marobashi Sub Mission in Tokai Region
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VEwadaI9R0

You get a ton of +14, +15 greens and a ton of Amrita following this method. It isn't the easiest battle, but it reaps rewards.

Main Items:
Weakness Talismans
Power Pills
Saisetsu-shin Sake
Extraction Talisman
Rejuvenation Talisman

WotW feels like WotD all over again to me. Just upgrade your gear to the level ranges in WotW and you'll be fine, probably. WotD is a cake walk now that my gear is 230 + 23.

ZangBa

WotW is so anti-fun, it's miserable. When I started playing again, 150+10 gear was the best. I've gone through WotS and WotD without too much trouble just crafting a few pieces of armor and using whatever weapon I found along the way. WotD was challenging but doable for me even if I wasn't really using a particular build. Now I've just unlocked the 4th region in WotW and it's so damn grueling. I've had to leave missions because the bosses were so God damn tanky and one shotting me. Anything immune to weakness talisman is basically a ragequit, otherwise I'll spend all night and probably never kill it. Fucking White Tiger is ridiculous. I couldn't even kill the Ice Demon boss, whatever her name is, and she was one of the easiest before. Now I just barely tickle her health down safety until some random bullshit icicle one shots me. I crafted and reforged all my gear and it makes like no difference at all. Every build I look up is some weird critical health LW build that one shots everything and I don't want that, but it's apparently the only viable way of playing this mode without wanting to pull my hair out in frustration. It doesn't help that there's so many damn systems in place in this game, it's downright incomprehensible sometimes, and stats themselves can be as well.

This mode is fucking ass. It's not difficult for the right reasons, it's just overly tedious, annoying and sometimes just straight up boring. I thought WotD would be more frustrating and it turned out fine and fair enough, but this shit is torture.

Kalentan

Man I can't even Soul Match anymore.

Suddenly everything became so expensive despite having the maxed out Soul Matching Cost Discount.

I think the issue is that the base level and (+level) are becoming too far.

Wonder if I should drop difficulty.

That or somehow find higher Kingo Armor that has good stats. (Or maybe craft?)

Naite

Man I can't even Soul Match anymore.

Suddenly everything became so expensive despite having the maxed out Soul Matching Cost Discount.

I think the issue is that the base level and (+level) are becoming too far.

Wonder if I should drop difficulty.

That or somehow find higher Kingo Armor that has good stats. (Or maybe craft?)

If you keep soul matching the same gear over and over it keeps growing in cost. To get around it you either have to get a new version of that item, or an ethereal gear from WotW and reforge it so it has the Reset # of Soul Matches. Then you can soul match it with your original gear and the price will be small again.

KingV

I'm getting absolutely annihilated by the first boss. Must have died 20 times now and haven't gotten close to killing it. Fuck.

Edit, another ten goes and finally got him. My god that was a difficulty spike imo.

For me the first boss was the hardest one. It got easier as I went.

Soar

For me the first boss was the hardest one. It got easier as I went.

Hardest for me was the bat lady (second boss). I actually took a break for a few weeks, but when I got through it and stuff clicked have been playing for more than 40 hours and having a real blast.

Also created an alt after buying the season pass to check out the new weapons. It's amazing how fast you can get through areas you've been before. Also the Odachi is freaking easy to use as it can two-three shot mobs in the first level.

This game is fantastic and have surpassed P5 for games played this year.

Darkman M

Recently just got back into this game and I have been farming for days for one simple inherited effect change to attack heart. Farmed hundreds of revs and have yet to find this 😔

drabnon

I had a hell of a time with the sub-mission "Battle of Ohashi Bridge". I almost considered summoning because I was so annoyed with this guy. He's not super hard in terms of moveset/dodging, but he just has SO MUCH HEALTH. (Unless I just have really bad damage?) I was doing around 270-300 per axe hit on him (medium stance) and it just felt like it took forever. Then when you get him to halfway those demon head things annoy you by shooting at you and taking away your focus from him.

My strategy was to use my ninjutsu to add fire to my axe, and then use Dash+Square to do a fast swipe with my axe that interrupted his attack. Then I would dash backward, and run forward and repeat. I did this what felt like 30 times, and then the heads were summoned and I would run away and wait for him to swing and miss, then take them out.

Please, someone soothe my wounded ego and assure me that this guy gave them trouble as well. When he manages to heal, or drink the one that boosts all his stats, it's such a terrible feeling.

Soar

I had a hell of a time with the sub-mission "Battle of Ohashi Bridge". I almost considered summoning because I was so annoyed with this guy. He's not super hard in terms of moveset/dodging, but he just has SO MUCH HEALTH. (Unless I just have really bad damage?) I was doing around 270-300 per axe hit on him (medium stance) and it just felt like it took forever. Then when you get him to halfway those demon head things annoy you by shooting at you and taking away your focus from him.

My strategy was to use my ninjutsu to add fire to my axe, and then use Dash+Square to do a fast swipe with my axe that interrupted his attack. Then I would dash backward, and run forward and repeat. I did this what felt like 30 times, and then the heads were summoned and I would run away and wait for him to swing and miss, then take them out.

Please, someone soothe my wounded ego and assure me that this guy gave them trouble as well. When he manages to heal, or drink the one that boosts all his stats, it's such a terrible feeling.

I'm a dual sword user so my experience won't match yours exactly but yea he does have a lot of health. However if you are able to catch him when he stops to drink a buff pot, you can put the hurt quite a bit - I could get a 4-5 hit combo in. When the heads pop up just rush in and kill them instantly. Or you could zap them down with lightning omyo projectiles. Also if your parry is decent you can block his attacks and punish.

Baalzebup

Do revenants ever drop upgraded gear? I'm starting to think it's absolutely useless to fight them in WotD...
Revenants never drop stuff with +# value and they will never feature any reforges etc that their owners may have put on them. I'm also under the impression that for the most part, they will basically be re-rolled as well, so the only thing remaining from the originals will be the level (up to a maximum item level determined by the mission/difficulty), rarity and the base item type.

Naite

Lame. No point in ever fighting revenants in WotD then. Unless you need ochoko cups I guess.
WotW revanants do drop ethereal gear though, sometimes. I was able to get ethereal versions of 3 of my wotd armor set from revanants, 2 from the same revanant. Otherwise you get divine fragments x3 from them. I only had about 100 divine fragments before starting WotW, now I have about 2500.

drabnon

This is a infamously hard mission. For me...I parried him then kicked him off the bridge. It was laughably easy.

I tried knocking him off, but every time I got him close to the edge and attempted it, he would stumble at the edge and then roll out of it. I did beat him but it took me a long time.

KingV

Hardest for me was the bat lady (second boss). I actually took a break for a few weeks, but when I got through it and stuff clicked have been playing for more than 40 hours and having a real blast.

Also created an alt after buying the season pass to check out the new weapons. It's amazing how fast you can get through areas you've been before. Also the Odachi is freaking easy to use as it can two-three shot mobs in the first level.

This game is fantastic and have surpassed P5 for games played this year.

Is tge DLC worth it if you haven't finished the game yet? I am on the third region and keep thinking about it, but unsure if it will give me any benefit until I actually complete the game and move on to the new missions.

I love this game too. It clicks for me a lot more than dark souls or blood borne ever did. I like the way it has levels, instead of a big area with shortcuts.

I also like that pretty much every boss has a shrine that is near enough that it's a 20 second sprint to get there. My biggest gripe with dark souls or bloodborne was the backtracking to the bosses. When you are fighting something twenty times, the walk back there gets old fast, especially if you actually have to fight something.

Soar

Is tge DLC worth it if you haven't finished the game yet? I am on the third region and keep thinking about it, but unsure if it will give me any benefit until I actually complete the game and move on to the new missions.

I love this game too. It clicks for me a lot more than dark souls or blood borne ever did. I like the way it has levels, instead of a big area with shortcuts.

I also like that pretty much every boss has a shrine that is near enough that it's a 20 second sprint to get there. My biggest gripe with dark souls or bloodborne was the backtracking to the bosses. When you are fighting something twenty times, the walk back there gets old fast, especially if you actually have to fight something.

It is worth it if you want to try out the two new weapons. They also provide some passives though not as good as the core weapon skills. I'm loving the Odachi right now as it has very cool stance shifting move sets, not tried the Tonfa. If you like the game and the season pass is on sale it's worth a shot.

Agree with your points about the missions instead of open world and the backtracking, usually it takes about a minute at most to get to the boss from a shrine.

drabnon

I just defeated the spider boss lady. Is she generally considered one of the easier bosses? I didn't have much trouble with her, and I felt like I just took off huge chunks of her health when I hit her.

Also I have access to the Hidden Tea House now. Which clan should I pledge to? There's a lot of options here. I use Dual Swords and an Axe if that means anything.

ZangBa

Got my revenge on that White Tiger son of a bitch in WotW. I don't know what helped the most, but I'm doing like 6 times more damage than before and the game is back to being manageable.

Soar

I just defeated the spider boss lady. Is she generally considered one of the easier bosses? I didn't have much trouble with her, and I felt like I just took off huge chunks of her health when I hit her.

Also I have access to the Hidden Tea House now. Which clan should I pledge to? There's a lot of options here. I use Dual Swords and an Axe if that means anything.

She's the easiest boss, and the only one I killed in the first go. As for the clans I'm pledging to whichever that's offering a good reward from the donations and switching every 8 hours to clear my inventory. Very mercenary of me at this point but will settle down on one. I use dual swords mainly, my second melee slot is for whichever weapon that's giving me a set bonus haha.

In other news, finally got Tachibana duel down. Damn was he a fast SOB, his ki regen is off the charts.

KingV

She's the easiest boss, and the only one I killed in the first go. As for the clans I'm pledging to whichever that's offering a good reward from the donations and switching every 8 hours to clear my inventory. Very mercenary of me at this point but will settle down on one. I use dual swords mainly, my second melee slot is for whichever weapon that's giving me a set bonus haha.

In other news, finally got Tachibana down. Damn was he a fast SOB, his ki regen is off the charts.

Just goes to show how it's different strokes for different strokes. I had a huge amount of trouble with her, but took down the second boss in like 4 or 5 tries.

Majin Boo

It's really sad that light armor seems to be completely useless in this game now. I was playing with the Red Demon set for most of the game, except for a handfull of missions on WOTW, for which I decided to switch to a mixture of Scion of Virtue & Tatenashi armor since the Scion set is really nice for my spear build. The difference is absolutely ridiculous. Whereas I got killed by one or two hits before, I can now easily tank a few hits before things get problematic. The difference in evasion speed & stamina usage is insignificant and can be balanced with some armor abilities, and my toughness went from 163 to 339.
I also deal more damage than before because I have access to the Equipment Weight Damage Bonus from Tatenashi and can still gain a decent boost through the Agility Damage Bonus.
Imo they should have introduced significant damage boosts for Light Armor sets, since right now they are just a handicap without any particular benefit.

Ogawa-san

Funny thing for me when I ditched light armor was getting used to all that extra toughness. I'm so used to having my attacks interrupted by the smallest thing that now I die too often by trading blows vs. things that have far more health than I do - aka. almost everything in WotD and beyond. Without that hit confirm on me, sometimes there's so much going on that I don't notice I've been hit until I'm hit again a second later and evaporate.

But yeah, light "armor" is just for the bonuses to everything that's not defense.

The con side to that realization is that every revenant has hyper armor now.

Top Bottom