• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh |OT2| You Can Be My Yojimbo Anytime

Ugh, still can't beat "A Greater Harmony" on WotW. What's the point of testing your Omnyo skills if the first two enemies aren't even affected by magic? The statues made sense, these foxes don't.

These foxes and their Ninken kin makes Suppa/Catwalking uselesss in WotW.

Also, I now dread Marume's Odachi dojo mission.

edgefusion

I can't beat this Muneshige guy. He cheats his Ki and doesn't seem to follow any of the rules the game has taught so far. I've read up some guides that say to bait his charge around the rock but if he doesn't just dash right around it he instantly blocks my counterattack (regardless of his Ki) or dodges away. I don't really know how this is supposed to be even remotely winnable without massively out-gearing him.

The boss cheats and cheeses his way to a win the whole way through. It's cheap as fuck and terribly designed, no place at all in an otherwise great game.

Baalzebup

Oh, it's that time again.. Sigh.

No, despite his boss fight boosts like some hyper-armor for certain moves, rather large health pool and an unblockable Iai move, Muneshige is entirely manageable right after you unlock the mission and without any grinding. In the normal difficulty, he has been essentially the same since the Alpha version and people have beaten him at level one, using the weakest sword available in the game.

danthefan

Can someone please explain - sometimes I seem to be able to find my corpse and get my Amrita back and sometimes it's just not there. What's the story with that, is there some way to know if it'll be there or not?

Baalzebup

Can someone please explain - sometimes I seem to be able to find my corpse and get my Amrita back and sometimes it's just not there. What's the story with that, is there some way to know if it'll be there or not?
If you die while having a Guardian Spirit with you, you drop your Amrita there and the Guardian Spirit stays there to guard it ( this is more or less a Souls-like death penalty as the spirits imparts various passive buffs). If you get there and collect it, you get everything back. If you die along the way before you recover your shit, the spirit will return to you but you will lose the Amrita.

So die w/ spirit ---> Drop Amrita at location, can be recovered. Die w/o spirit ---> permanent losses.
Alright thanks. So don't die twice without collecting my shit basically.
Yup.

danthefan

If you die while having a Guardian Spirit with you, you drop your Amrita there and the Guardian Spirit stays there to guard it ( this is more or less a Souls-like death penalty as the spirits imparts various passive buffs). If you get there and collect it, you get everything back. If you die along the way before you recover your shit, the spirit will return to you but you will lose the Amrita.

So die w/ spirit ---> Drop Amrita at location, can be recovered. Die w/o spirit ---> permanent losses.

Soar

I can't beat this Muneshige guy. He cheats his Ki and doesn't seem to follow any of the rules the game has taught so far. I've read up some guides that say to bait his charge around the rock but if he doesn't just dash right around it he instantly blocks my counterattack (regardless of his Ki) or dodges away. I don't really know how this is supposed to be even remotely winnable without massively out-gearing him.

The boss cheats and cheeses his way to a win the whole way through. It's cheap as fuck and terribly designed, no place at all in an otherwise great game.

It takes some practice, that's all. You can try to move in and stagger him when he does that move where he moves his sword in a circle. Take advantage of your living weapon as well, and keep running left or right when he summons his lightning pup pikachu so that it doesn't hit you and give you a debuff. Outgearing him doesn't really work that well if you can't outfight him.

I thought it was one of the more exciting fights in the game so far.

Pretty much akin to souls in the dark souls games don't get too stressed over losing some amrita if you need to regroup and strategize.

drabnon

Do people like the story of this game? Tbh I haven't been paying attention that much. People ask Anjin for help and he helps, that's what I've gotten out of the plot so far.

Anyway, I just beat the ice lady. Found her kind of tough, she moves fast and changes her moveset mid-battle.

Soar

Having read a few biographies about Anjin (William Adams), the story in Nioh is quite fun despite it being highly inaccurate with so many liberties taken. I love the conversations and am probably only one of the few who is playing partly to move the story forward.

In a gist, William is chasing after his spirit lass after having her kidnapped by Ed Kelly who went to foster more conflict and war in a tumultuous era in Japan in order to farm more amrita generated by all the malice generated. Throughout this journey William makes and defeats enemies amongst the locals and kill monster bosses created by Kelley and his machinations.

Personally I really liked how they portrayed Ieyasu and Okatsu.

W.R.T. the Ice lady you need to keep burning her down as soon as you can and know to dodge her projectiles. Fire works wonders.

drabnon

Huh, fair enough. I'm playing pretty much solely for the gameplay.

By the way, what is the best way to get rid of my items? My item box keeps getting full because I pick up every item I see. Should I be selling them, using them as soul match materials, etc? I kind of don't want to sell the rare/uncommon items because I don't really use my money anyway.

Orcastar

Am I ever going to find medium armor that is better than the Warrior of the West set?

I'm currently level 68, just beat Yuki-Onna, and I've been wearing the Warrior of the West set for like 90% of my time with the game. Honestly, it's getting a bit boring. So far I haven't found anything better, and since 9 out of 10 revenants are wearing the same thing, I just keep getting higher level pieces of the same set.

Same thing with weapons, been using a Nami-oyogi Kanemitsu for ages since I can't find anything even remotely as good. My current one has about 100 more attack than anything else I've found. I started the game thinking I'd be mainly using odachis, but it feels like I'm stuck using swords.

Soar

Soul matching high level items are crazily expensive. I was matching a lvl 45 to 65 item and it costs 175k. Usually I just offer white and yellow items to the shrine and donate some blues to the clan. Have not sold anything so far.

Soar

I save purples for dismantling when I need mats for forging gear. Also donate them to clan for special weekly/daily rewards.

danthefan

So early on should I sell/offer/break down?

I'm guessing this crappy armour I'm picking up isn't going to yield very good crafting mats.

Baalzebup

Am I ever going to find medium armor that is better than the Warrior of the West set?

I'm currently level 68, just beat Yuki-Onna, and I've been wearing the Warrior of the West set for like 90% of my time with the game. Honestly, it's getting a bit boring. So far I haven't found anything better, and since 9 out of 10 revenants are wearing the same thing, I just keep getting higher level pieces of the same set.

Same thing with weapons, been using a Nami-oyogi Kanemitsu for ages since I can't find anything even remotely as good. My current one has about 100 more attack than anything else I've found. I started the game thinking I'd be mainly using odachis, but it feels like I'm stuck using swords.
The Kingo set is another very popular medium armor set.
Soul matching high level items are crazily expensive. I was matching a lvl 45 to 65 item and it costs 175k. Usually I just offer white and yellow items to the shrine and donate some blues to the clan. Have not sold anything so far.
Keep in mind that using Soul Match to upgrade item levels accrues a kind of a cumulative penalty / extra costs for each successive time you upgrade the same item. I used the feature pretty extensively from the get go to keep my favourite purples relevant as long as possible, and came to the conclusion that Soul Matching a single item more than 3 times is lunacy. After that 3rd time, it is time to get a new base item and move on.
Huh, fair enough. I'm playing pretty much solely for the gameplay.

By the way, what is the best way to get rid of my items? My item box keeps getting full because I pick up every item I see. Should I be selling them, using them as soul match materials, etc? I kind of don't want to sell the rare/uncommon items because I don't really use my money anyway.
Alright, thanks for the advice. I'll start offering up all my junk.

What do you do with purples, then?

So early on should I sell/offer/break down?

I'm guessing this crappy armour I'm picking up isn't going to yield very good crafting mats.
My advice, never offer anything at the shrine. In the beginning, dismantle everything you don't use and sell all the non-purple materials beside the Spirit Stones etc that are used in reforging. The materials will sell for more than the base items and you'll need a stock of the good shit (aka the purple mats) for forging purposes later on. There will be a threshold, somewhere around item level 80-100 (I didn't pay all that much attention to the exact level where the scales tip, but it will happen, or at least used to, by the time you reach item level 100) where selling the yellow items directly will yield better profits. The blue items will follow a bit later, as will the purples. By the time you reach the first item level cap of 150, selling the items themselves will always get you the most moola.

With the exception of the Clan Battle feature, where they will sometimes offer you a sizeable amount of money for donating rather specific items, like Blue or better armor pieces or something such. The money that at least the Furuta Clan offers is easily the best use for those items for at least 3 or 4 rewards worth, before the ramped up point requirements and decreasing return on investment will make it unprofitable for the rest of the day.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

Oh, you sweet summer child... *looks at her lv. 186 O-Denta Mitsuyo with A+ scaling in Skill and weeps at the 7 mil. cost of Soul Matching to 200* :(

Keep in mind that using Soul Match to upgrade item levels accrues a kind of a cumulative penalty / extra costs for each successive time you upgrade the same item. I used the feature pretty extensively from the get go to keep my favourite purples relevant as long as possible, and came to the conclusion that Soul Matching a single item more than 3 times is lunacy. After that 3rd time, it is time to get a new base item and move on.
True. Except I still haven't found a base weapon better than my O-Denta Mitsuyo right now. Even weapons 15 levels above pale in comparison. That A+ scaling is just too goddamn good. It's been my main weapon for all of NG+ and NG++ so far.

So every now and then, if I accumulated enough money or am lucky enough to find a weapon with the "Soul matching cost reduction" property, I bring it up a bit more.

Baalzebup

Oh, you sweet summer child... *looks at her lv. 186 O-Denta Mitsuyo with A+ scaling in Skill and weeps at the 7 mil. cost of Soul Matching to 200* :(

True. Except I still haven't found a base weapon better than my O-Denta Mitsuyo right now. Even weapons 15 levels above pale in comparison. That A+ scaling is just too goddamn good. It's been my main weapon for all of NG+ and NG++ so far.

So every now and then, if I accumulated enough money or am lucky enough to find a weapon with the "Soul matching cost reduction" property, I bring it up a bit more.
Yeah, the bolded do really help until you can make it to WotW and start getting those sweet sweet "Reset No. of Soul Matches" properties in the ethereal items. I used that a good deal during my WotD stuff, though I did eventually get the forging texts for 3 of the 5 legendary elemental swords. That was when I just re-created my original divine Onimaru Kunitsuna all over again.

ZangBa

I finally unlocked all the missions and DLC in WotW, God damn. I think Otani ended up being the most annoying boss, but I did skip Mitsunari because he gave me the most trouble in WotD. I really hope there isn't another difficulty in the next DLC after speedrunning through the last 3.

danthefan

Every boss I just find miles too hard. Yeah yeah git gud but it's so fucking frustrating. Not sure I'll get very far with this game.

Every boss I just find miles too hard. Yeah yeah git gud but it's so fucking frustrating. Not sure I'll get very far with this game.

Not sure where you're at in the game, but I know when I played through it the first time I had a similar sentiment at somewhere around halfway in. In fact I put it down for quite a while because of it. If it helps at all what made the difference for me was doing build/gear research. I was used to Soulsborne style games where pretty much any build can be successful. That approach leads to nothing but frustration in Nioh (at least for me). I respecced from between 15-25 in pretty near to every stat (I liked being able to use anything, whatever dropped), to 10 spirit, min stat requirements for the armor I was going to use (Kingo set), dropped every other point into skill and switched to a dual katana windstorm build. Then I got to farming the gear I needed to make it work.

It's somewhat rigid I know - I could only use one Guardian for example (Kato), but man what a difference it made to the damage I was doing. Without hyperbole I'd say it was quadrupled, and I was breaking and killing Yokai before they could get an attack off. The game really took off for me after that. There are a number of really good builds, try a few to find what you like, but they need serious specialization.

When the guy made the Bloodborne is too hard post a week or so back I was thinking "git gud". When you say that about Nioh my reaction is "I wonder if all his gear/stats/skills synergize well" because if they don't, you're gonna have a bad time.

Pompadour

Not sure where you're at in the game, but I know when I played through it the first time I had a similar sentiment at somewhere around halfway in. In fact I put it down for quite a while because of it. If it helps at all what made the difference for me was doing build/gear research. I was used to Soulsborne style games where pretty much any build can be successful. That approach leads to nothing but frustration in Nioh (at least for me). I respecced from between 15-25 in pretty near to every stat (I liked being able to use anything, whatever dropped), to 10 spirit, min stat requirements for the armor I was going to use (Kingo set), dropped every other point into skill and switched to a dual katana windstorm build. Then I got to farming the gear I needed to make it work.

It's somewhat rigid I know - I could only use one Guardian for example (Kato), but man what a difference it made to the damage I was doing. Without hyperbole I'd say it was quadrupled, and I was breaking and killing Yokai before they could get an attack off. The game really took off for me after that. There are a number of really good builds, try a few to find what you like, but they need serious specialization.

When the guy made the Bloodborne is too hard post a week or so back I was thinking "git gud". When you say that about Nioh my reaction is "I wonder if all his gear/stats/skills synergize well" because if they don't, you're gonna have a bad time.

I don't feel that way at all, at least on Way of the Samurai.

My first playthrough I basically used a katana, was reckless with my stat disbursement, and wore whatever I found that was higher level. I don't think I ever looked at my weapon and armor perks until I beat the game.

I played the game like it was Ninja Gaiden mixed with DS stamina management. On every difficulty after that I play the game like Diablo mixed with Diablo. Everything is geared towards maximizing my build.

danthefan

Thanks a lot for the advice. I'm still fairly early on and tbh I've just been throwing my levels into whatever stat I feel is a good idea at the time so probably way off optimal. I posted in frustration earlier, shortly after I did manage to kill the boss that was tormenting me. Though I had a sliver of health and no healing items when I did!

Orcastar

This hasn't been my experience either. Been doing just fine dumping points into whatever stat I feel like, mainly heart. I've been using a katana (Nami-oyogi Kanemitsu) for like 90% of the game so far and haven't had any serious trouble against any boss or enemy. Have no idea about builds and haven't paid almost any attention to weapon and armor perks, just using whatever has the highest attack and defense multipliers. The stance system seems pretty pointless, just using medium stance and quick attacks 95% of the time. Every boss so far has been a simple matter of waiting for an opening, dashing in for a few quick slices and dashing out. Same thing with yokai. Overall I'm finding the game considerably easier than Dark Souls 1-3 and Bloodborne.

So I created myself a new build using two of the new Ethereal sets: Tsukuyomi and Amaterasu

6 peice bonus Tsukoyomi for Omnyo Magic Bonus A+
- All armor is of this set and all heavy armor pieces to put me above 31.0 weight​

5 piece bonus Amaterasu for CTA Spirit A scaling
-all weapons are part of this set with my Main Odachi having an Equipment Weight AA- scaling roll​

Guardian Spirits
Tengen Kujaku/Aya Komuri

Stats are as follows
Body - 20
Heart - 99
Stamina - 99
Strength - 99
Skill - 15
Dexterity - 20
Magic - 99
Spirit - 99​

At soul level 507

All gear at 250 (+30) or higher
Clan = Todo

HP= 6239
Toughness = 352
Defense = 4377
Ki = 209
Equip Weight = 34.4
Agility = B

Attack values below are from character status screen

Main Weapon: Monoshizao Odachi
CTA Stamina A+
Close Combat attack 20%
Equipment Weight AA+
Pierce guard 15%
Close Combat Attack Ki damage 9%
Weaken Melee Weapon 21.7%
Attack: 3385​

Secondary Weapon: Fido Kuniyuki Dual Katana
Fire +20
CTA Stam AA
Sign of the Cross damage 26%
Familiarity Damage bonus A+
Close combats damage 20%
Close Combat Damage can scorched enemies 15.8%
Attack: 3168​

Primary Ranged: Tanegashima Matchlock
Pierce Guard Ranged 14.7%
Movement speed aiming + 100%
Auto Track Enemies
Agility Damage Bonus A+
Ranged Bullseye Bonus 24.7%
Matchlock Speed Up
Attack: 2787​

Secondary Ranged: Bellowijg Tenryu
Fire Damage 18%
Agility Damage Bonus A+
Hand Cannon speed up
Lower enemy defense 19.9%
Hand Cannon Damage long range +35.9%
Unlimited ammo 5.1%
Attack: 3071​

So here's the thing the star scaling from your armor bonuses does not factor into the damage displayed on your character stat screen but it does factor into your attacks the A spirit scaling gives me roughly 11% Damage boost and the Omnyo Magic A scaling gives me about 13% Damage boost.

The cool pet about these Damage scaling functions is that they do not have any diminishing returns with other damage scalers like Close Combat Attack types do. As such it helps maximize damage. The result is me one shotting most standard yokai with a single High stance strong attack and killing most red buffed demons wth one or two quick attack to Twin moons combo with my Odachi on Way of the Wise in the new DLC areas. Even on the boss rush mission I can chew threw the bosses with 4 or 5 combos.

The damage output is nuts. And due to wearing all heavy armor with high toughness, defense and HP my survivability is almost as good as the tatenashi build except minus the 100% elemental damage resistance. But my Damage output is up almost 60% versus the same main Weapon with my tatenashi set/build.

Highly reccomend trying this build out especially f you enjoy mixing your Melee up with some Omnyo and Living Weapon (99 spirit living Weapon is legit) I find it an absolute blast to play.

Think I'm gonna try and make a Susano bare handed build next to see if they've made bare handed anymore viable than it was. Probably not but it's worth a shot and it should be fun.

I'm on my first play through still and don't think I've updated yet past 1.14. Is there any reason not to update? I thought some rrally good mission for leveling was patched out or was that on one of the ng+ runs?

Baalzebup

I'm on my first play through still and don't think I've updated yet past 1.14. Is there any reason not to update? I thought some rrally good mission for leveling was patched out or was that on one of the ng+ runs?
The super fast leveling up with generous Amrita item mission rewards stuff was for missions in the Way of the Wise, the 4th difficulty. If you're still in the basic playthrough, you're still waaaayyyyyyyyy away from that.

Soar

Just finished the main story, was a really good journey the hours just flew past. Hope to see Hanzo and Okatsu again in the DLCs.

Edit: Wow that queen's eye fight is both delicious and annoying. Onwards!

Fandangox

So I speedrunned my way through the second difficulty. By the end areas I wasn't really doing much damage and a lot of enemy attacks could one shot me. For the entire normal playthrough I didn't really worry much about my build other than I wanted to have Light-Armor weight movement, I spread my stats around cause I was trying everything. Near the end of the second playthrough I put more points in Katana and Dual Katana (for the gun stats).

I probably wont try to beat the third difficulty until the new dlc drops, but I would like to know if there's anything I can do at this point to improve damage and defense.

I have the Yatagarasu 7 piece set bonus, most of my Ninjitsu skills were spent on maxing bow/gun capacity and damage. I have 20 stats on everything except spirit which has 30, The Katana Stat which has 46 and the Dual Katana/Gun stat which has 40.

I'd like to keep this set, I dont really use Ninjitsu aside from some Kunai and the passives for the gun skills, and I don't use magic, so I am mostly wondering if I should continue just putting points on the Katana and Dual Katana/Gun stats. At this point it seems I hit a pseudo cap and I am barely gaining any stats when I level these up.

Also would like to know what's the name of the charm that allows you to have less piece from a set but still its complete set bonus, because I don't want to use Magoichi's sword, since I have some better Katanas to use.

hutna

I'm trying to get a decent Bloodstained Cleaver for my Odachi Build. Anyone got one they are willing to die with for me to farm their revenant?

Or if you have a decent location to farm them from, thanks!

KingV

Just beat the ogress on my third try (first play through).

Got her into discord and she just fell apart. Feels good man.

Twookie

okay so I think I finished the story missions of the second DLC Defiant Honor

is there really only two story missions or do I have to do all the optional missions aswell to unlock more? I found it a bit short. It was fun/good though, so I don't mind really.

also you don't get to actually fight Maria this time?

are they going to add another DLC that's not in the season pass or is the last cutscene(at the end of the second story mission) a sequel bait?

I'd LOVE a sequel to this game, day 1

Baalzebup

There are three pieces of DLC episodes tied to the Season Pass. The last one is titled Bloodsheds End and it will cover the summer half of the event referred to as the Siege of Osaka, this second piece naturally being the winter half. It's been known for quite a while that both the 2nd and the 3rd DLC would be about Osaka.

Soar

Wonder if they are going to release a new weapon style with the third DLC. Can't really think of one that would be distinct enough from existing.

I would love it if they found room for the kanabo next update, who does't love going into war with a spikey baseball bat. That said I do appreacte that with the odachi going in that ship has probably already sailed, their move sets would likely be fairly similar.

Man, the RNG on Ethereals. I'm going to hit level 550 before getting the gear I want, aren't I? They may have adjusted the rewards for "Three Souls" mission, but farming "Marobashi" nets me 400m/run trying to farm it.

Orcastar

Started the Dragon of the North DLC the other day. Felt like the shrines in the first mission were much closer together than in any mission in the base game. Kinda took some of the tension out of it. The first boss was harder than any of the bosses in the main game, mainly because almost all of his attacks break your guard and getting hit once means getting stunlocked to death. Still only took me 7 attempts.

Soar

I really liked the level design for the first dlc, it's more dense with some vertical movements in the buildings. The main game's levels are nothing to shout about with the exception of Sekigahara where it felt like a battlefields. Hope the second dlc continues to provide that atmosphere.

Fandangox

Do i have to play through the entire mission again if want hunt for the missing kodema's?

Yes and no. Shortcuts you unlocked will reset and obviously all enemies will respawn, but as soon as you find the kodama you are missing you can leave the mission I think.

Eusis

Yes and no. Shortcuts you unlocked will reset and obviously all enemies will respawn, but as soon as you find the kodama you are missing you can leave the mission I think.
Correct. Some were event RIGHT THERE near the start of a mission and I just completely failed to notice them.

Top Bottom