• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nippon Ichi president - Switch is an “ideal piece of hardware”

“It’s true: Disgaea 5 was practically a launch title for the Switch. That had a huge positive effect for us. Releasing the company’s flagship title, even if it was a port, for Nintendo’s flagship hardware close to launch was a boon for us; it sold incredibly well both in Japan and abroad. It’s important to note that Nintendo was extremely supportive. They came to Gifu several times to teach us in person about the hardware and its ins and outs. I am incredibly grateful to Nintendo, this giant of the industry, for coming out to the middle of nowhere to support us. The final point to make is that, for Nippon Ichi, at least, the Switch is the ideal piece of hardware. Right now, in Western territories, non-handheld software is what sells. On the other hand, in Japan portable software is highly popular. This has created an issue in the past for developers, a gap between Japanese playing habits and those found in the rest of the world. The Switch closes this gap, by meeting the needs of both audiences. So we worked hard to be there right at the beginning. And it’s working out for us.”

From Nintendo Everything

This is very good point - handheld gaming is dying in the west so it was limiting sales potential for games or in most painfull cases like Valkyria Chronicles 3 games skipped western release totally.

Also it looks like Nintendo finally stopped treating other developers like competitors who have to come to their systems anyway.

Looks like I need to buy Switch soon :D

Last edited:

Enygger_Tzu

Banned
Yes, the mid-tier and small tier support of the Japan is what got me into PS4 now with Sony's policies hurting those publishers, it will only be a matter of time before a lot of them find place and thrive on Switch.

And with more Japanese AAA games coming to PC, it is easy to change your purchasing habbits now.

Vawn

Banned
Well, for a company like NIS that's always made, at most, AA games that could run on the generation of consoles prior to the ones they're actually released for, sure, Switch is ideal.

I'm not trashing NIS games, because I like quite a few. But their hardware needs are vastly different than games like Red Dead or Assassin's Creed.

Last edited:

joe_zazen

It is a shame the handheld market is now down to a single company; a company whose product isn't even a true handheld. Zero competition means worse products, more expensive products, and no need for innovation.

It is better than zero handhelds, so I understand Mr. NIS' gratitude.

I do think that MS might surprise us with a portable HH that also will be part of their Scarlett streaming thing soon. That would probably be the final kick in the teeth that would get me to switch to MS.

OverIt

It is a shame the handheld market is now down to a single company; a company whose product isn't even a true handheld. Zero competition means worse products, more expensive products, and no need for innovation.

It is better than zero handhelds, so I understand Mr. NIS' gratitude.

I do think that MS might surprise us with a portable HH that also will be part of their Scarlett streaming thing soon. That would probably be the final kick in the teeth that would get me to switch to MS.
Eh? It was the best possible handheld at the the time that could be made much like the PSP and the Vita. Sure the dock makes it more expensive but without the dock, it is a ture handheld. I dont use the dock at all.

Even beyond what seems like the current Japanese preference for handheld devices, going back to some of the company's comments around the recent SNK gal's fighter and getting Ys VIII on Switch, my impression is the president of NIS is rather annoyed by how the company has been treated (or seemingly ignored) by Sony, and I do wonder how common such sentiment might be around the Japanese development community, likely outside the few large companies making AAA games.

As for myself, I'm really not a mobile gamer, which (besides some other complaints) leaves me wishing the Switch was just a little more powerful. If by chance there is a hardware revision sooner rather than later, I hope it'll come with the announcement of more, non-indie, third-party support.

joe_zazen

Eh? It was the best possible handheld at the the time that could be made much like the PSP and the Vita. Sure the dock makes it more expensive but without the dock, it is a ture handheld. I dont use the dock at all.

It is a hybrid device that makes consessions in both realms, imo. Price, yes, but also in terms of design and focus. On the up side, there are lots of people who love all-in-one devices, and it is great to have one on the market.

joe_zazen

Even beyond what seems like the current Japanese preference for handheld devices, going back to some of the company's comments around the recent SNK gal's fighter and getting Ys VIII on Switch, my impression is the president of NIS is rather annoyed by how the company has been treated (or seemingly ignored) by Sony, and I do wonder how common such sentiment might be around the Japanese development community, likely outside the few large companies making AAA games.

As for myself, I'm really not a mobile gamer, which (besides some other complaints) leaves me wishing the Switch was just a little more powerful. If by chance there is a hardware revision sooner rather than later, I hope it'll come with the announcement of more, non-indie, third-party support.

Yeah, everyone has to come to terms with the fact that, for all intents and purposes, Sony gaming is as American as their movie division now, which is very fucking Americam.

OverIt

It is a hybrid device that makes consessions in both realms, imo. Price, yes, but also in terms of design and focus. On the up side, there are lots of people who love all-in-one devices, and it is great to have one on the market.

The 3DS and DS has more concessions than the Switch IMO. They both are 6 times weaker than the PSP and Vita respectively. 3DS and DS has poor sound as well. There is more screen space than the 3DS and the DS even physically let alone in pixels. The joycons are designed for handheld play. If there is one concession it is the weight, it is near twice the weight of the 3DS, it takes a while to get used to. Are you talking about them not being flip top anymore? Phones dont even do that anymore.

Killer751

Banned

They are probably being overlooked. Sony has to cater to the needs of all of the biggest developers in the world. Disgaea is not as high as a priority as Red Dead or TES.

As long as Nintendo doesn't force Japanese developers to have their games inspected in only English, expect the Switch to get more 3rd party Japanese support and preferential treatment over the PS4 (and PS5).

Top Bottom