• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nissan offers Leaf EV for $32,780 (=$25,280 after $7500 incentive) WOW!

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, I know that will sound very expensive to most of you. But for an EV, that is an amazingly low price. Frankly, as someone that follows EVs I was shocked.

Consider this . . . if you drive a gas car that gets 30mph for 12,000 miles for 10 years at an average price of $5/gallon (gasoline prices WILL be going up sharply over the next 10 years), that gas car will consume $20,000 in gasoline. The Leaf won't burn a drop of gasoline. The electricity will cost you around $2,000.

And these EVs will drop in price as manufacturing scale grow. (Though they are not going to drop in price as many of the EV optimists hope.)

And consider this, the Tesla costs over $100,000.

===========================================================
Nissan Delivers Affordable Solutions for Purchase, Lease of All-electric Nissan LEAF™

As low as $25,280 ($32,780 MSRP minus up to $7,500 federal tax credit)
Lease world's first mass-marketed EV for $349 per month

FRANKLIN, Tenn. (March 30, 2010) - Nissan North America, Inc. (NNA) today announced U.S. pricing for the 2011 Nissan LEAF electric vehicle, which becomes available for purchase or lease at Nissan dealers in select markets in December and nationwide in 2011. Nissan will begin taking consumer reservations for the Nissan LEAF April 20.

Including the $7,500 federal tax credit for which the Nissan LEAF will be fully eligible, the consumer's after-tax net value of the vehicle will be $25,280. The Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price *(MSRP) for the 2011 all-electric, zero-emission Nissan LEAF is $32,780, which includes three years of roadside assistance. Additionally, there is an array of state and local incentives that may further defray the costs and increase the benefits of owning and charging a Nissan LEAF - such as a $5,000 statewide tax rebate in California; a $5,000 tax credit in Georgia; a $1,500 tax credit in Oregon; and carpool-lane access in some states, including California.

As a result of aggressive pricing and the availability of the $7,500 federal tax credit whose benefit is immediately included, Nissan will be able to offer a monthly lease payment beginning at $349, not including state or local incentives, which could further reduce the net cost of the Nissan LEAF.

"Imagine the possibility of never needing to go to a gas station again. Or of paying less than $3 for 100 miles behind the wheel. Or of creating zero emissions while driving," said Brian Carolin, senior vice president, Sales and Marketing, NNA. "Nissan leads the industry by offering the first affordable, zero-emission vehicle for the mass market. Nissan LEAF truly is in a class by itself."

The vehicle at the standard SV trim level is well-equipped with a variety of standard features, including an advanced navigation system and Internet/smart phone connectivity to the vehicle, including pre-heat/pre-cool and charging control. Nissan LEAF is equipped with energy-efficient LED headlights and makes extensive use of recycled and recyclable materials, such as seat fabric, instrument panel materials, and front- and rear-bumper fascias. Other standard amenities include Bluetooth connectivity; Intelligent-key with push button start; Sirius/XM satellite radio capabilities and roadside assistance. Safety features include vehicle dynamic control (stability control), traction control and six airbags. The SL trim level, available for an additional $940 (MSRP), adds features including rearview monitor, solar panel spoiler, fog lights, and automatic headlights.

Reservations & Purchase

In order to ensure a one-stop-shop customer experience, Nissan is carefully managing the purchase process from the first step, when consumers sign up on NissanUSA.com, until the customer takes the Nissan LEAF home and plugs it into a personal charging dock.

* Nissan begins accepting reservations on April 20 first from people who have signed up on NissanUSA.com, and, after a brief introductory period, to all interested consumers.
* Consumers will be required to pay a $99 reservation fee, which is fully refundable.
* Reserving a Nissan LEAF ensures consumers a place in line when Nissan begins taking firm orders in August, as well as access to special, upcoming Nissan LEAF events.
* Rollout to select markets begins in December, with nationwide availability in 2011.

Charging Equipment

In tandem with the purchase process, Nissan will offer personal charging docks, which operate on a 220-volt supply, as well as their installation. Nissan is providing these home-charging stations, which will be built and installed by AeroVironment, as part of a one-stop-shop process that includes a home assessment.

* The average cost for the charging dock plus installation will be $2,200.
* Charging dock and installation are eligible for a 50 percent federal tax credit up to $2,000.
* Using current national electricity averages, Nissan LEAF will cost less than $3 to "fill up."
* Nissan LEAF also will be the sole vehicle available as part of The EV Project, which is led by EV infrastructure provider eTec, a division of ECOtality, and will provide free home-charging stations and installation for up to 4,700 Nissan LEAF owners in those markets.

In North America, Nissan's operations include automotive design, engineering, consumer and corporate financing, sales and marketing, distribution and manufacturing. Nissan is dedicated to improving the environment under the Nissan Green Program 2010, whose key priorities are reducing CO2 emissions, cutting other emissions and increasing recycling. More information on the Nissan LEAF and zero emissions can be found at www.NissanUsa.com.
http://www.nissanusa.com/leaf-electric-car/news.jsp#/news

leaf.png

Autoblogs article:
http://green.autoblog.com/2010/03/30/2011-nissan-leaf-us-pricing-officially-announced-as-low-as-25/

KingGondo

Banned
Very interested, but I'll wait until the market is developed a bit and there are more choices.

The Leaf is nice looking though.

ElectricBlue187 said:
I think it would be cool if they could make an EV that didn't look like the Prius
Most low cost EVs are probably going to look very similar. They are all trying to hone in on the best aerodynamics to extend the range.

FLEABttn said:
It's okay to not buy American.

I know, I drive a Hyundai Sonata. I'd just prefer to buy a Ford because I didn't like the way the Nissan drove...and I'd prefer to buy American.

If Hyundai comes out with a Sonata like this, I'll buy that!

blanky

It's real nice to see these cars develop and become affordable consumer products. But one thing i really don't get about the way these cars are advertised.

They are electric thus better than current cars. But most, not all, but certainly most electricity is generated by fossil fuels like coal. Unless there is a huge increase in environmentally friendly power I dont see how this solves the problem, it just shifts it.

of course I am biased because i'm a petrolhead. Still curious if it's actually better in comparison with a hybrid or a decent petrol engine ( >2.0L turbo/injection) when driven sensibly.

milanbaros

Member?
Very interesting. There seem to be enough willing early adopters and financial incentives to ensure it is a success.

I think we will see the real gasoline competing cars with gen 2 and 3.

FLEABttn said:
It's okay to not buy American.
The Nissan Leaf will initially be manufactured in Japan but then it will be manufactured in Smyrna, Tennesee (by 2012). That is guaranteed since they need to do that for the low-interest loan they got.

turnbuckle

interesting, but how would I charge it? The 3 places I park daily are home, school, and work. All 3 have parking lots with no accessible outlets. Unless I overlooked something it seems like a tough choice for anyone living in an apartment.

I'll be in the market for an EV in the next 3-4 years.

blanky said:
It's real nice to see these cars develop and become affordable consumer products. But one thing i really don't get about the way these cars are advertised.

They are electric thus better than current cars. But most, not all, but certainly most electricity is generated by fossil fuels like coal. Unless there is a huge increase in environmentally friendly power I dont see how this solves the problem, it just shifts it.
I agree that the "Zero Emission" is misleading. However, even if an EV is driven only by coal generated electricity it will STILL generate less CO2 than a gasoline car.

The reason for this is that coal plants are pretty efficient, the electricity grid is VERY efficient, and electric motors are very efficient. Transporting oil emits CO2, refining oil emits CO2, transporting gasoline emits CO2, and automobile engines only have efficiency in the 20% range.

But today's grid is only 50% coal and will get cleaner in the future.

xbhaskarx

How many miles can this EV drive one one charge? Until it can do SF/Sac to LA/SD with miles to spare, it's still not good enough.

turnbuckle said:
interesting, but how would I charge it? The 3 places I park daily are home, school, and work. All 3 have parking lots with no accessible outlets. Unless I overlooked something it seems like a tough choice for anyone living in an apartment.

I'll be in the market for an EV in the next 3-4 years.
Indeed. The main place you need to charge is where ever you sleep. If there is no outlet, you are screwed. And even if there is an outlet, you are still screwed since you'll really need a 220V charger.

Pure EVs will mostly be limited to home-owners initially. I suspect apartments will begin installing charging infrastructures in the coming years.

For now, I think the GM Volt Plug-in Hybrid (PHEV) model is much better for most Americans.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
Skiptastic said:
Make it a Ford and make it look cooler and you might have yourself a deal!
A plug-in Focus is planned for release in the near future.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
Why do environmentally conscience vehicles have to look like space buggies and baby shoes? Why not design an attractive car AND include an electric motor?

GhaleonEB

In five years or so, the electric car market will be really starting to take off. I'll probably hold off until then - we'll have more infrastructure to support them, and prices will be lower. But I'm glad to see them starting out at a decent entry price. Hopefully my current car holds on a few more years.

Treo360

speculawyer said:
Indeed. The main place you need to charge is where ever you sleep. If there is no outlet, you are screwed. And even if there is an outlet, you are still screwed since you'll really need a 220V charger.

Pure EVs will mostly be limited to home-owners initially. I suspect apartments will begin installing charging infrastructures in the coming years.

For now, I think the GM Volt Plug-in Hybrid (PHEV) model is much better for most Americans.

I was about to post this. For now EV vehicles are for home owners primarily. I would love for more Companies that offer Employee parking to take up the mantle as well.

xbhaskarx said:
How many miles can this EV drive one one charge? Until it can do SF/Sac to LA/SD with miles to spare, it's still not good enough.
prodystopian said:
Did I miss what the range is on this vehicle? I read the OP, but I couldn't find it.
Honestly, it is pretty limited. They say 100 miles but that is using the EPA U.S. LA4 city cycle conducted in laboratory tests. Translated: That is stop & go city driving.
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/fe_test_schedules.shtml

This is not a good car for anyone that drives a long distance on a freeway. It is a commuter car or a city car.

This car is an early adopter car . . . it really will not fulfill the needs of most drivers. But it is a great re-birth for EVs and they will improve. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I think the Volt will be a much better option for most Americans.

ezrarh

I will need something to replace my 2000 Honda Accord in a few years and I would totally jump on the EV train granted the infrastructure is there to support it and the distance you can go on one charge increases.

edit:

ShOcKwAvE said:
What's the other 50%? Wind, sun and water? I would think coal would make up more like 80%.

Hydroelectric dams, nuclear power plants, and wind power. I believe nuclear power accounts for 20% of electricity consumption in the U.S. and probably more in the next few decades if things go well.

ShOcKwAvE said:
What's the other 50%? Wind, sun and water? I would think coal would make up more like 80%.
50% coal, 20% natural gas, 20% nuclear, hydro (~6%), oil (~2%), and the teeny tiny sliver of the rest is wind, sun, geothermal, etc.

I want to see nuclear, wind, geothermal, and sun to go up. Use natural gas (and to a lesser extent coal) as needed. Kill oil completely.

speculawyer said:
Honestly, it is pretty limited. They say 100 miles but that is using the EPA U.S. LA4 city cycle conducted in laboratory tests. Translated: That is stop & go city driving.
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/fe_test_schedules.shtml

100 is better than I was expecting, though. This isn't for me, but I'm excited about the reasonable range and price. With more infrastructure and more manufacturers getting on board, I'll probably get an electric DD eventually.

Spasm

Personally, I'm waiting for this
without holding my breath

2whpgtk.png

...Install a Bloom Box in my house, too.

Dali

speculawyer said:
Tesla:
tesla-roadster.jpg

Fisker Karma:
Fisker-Karma.jpg
I'm pretty sure he was talking about something more conservative and attainable to the average consumer. Like simply any current best seller (Camry, Fusion, Altima, etc.) only electric. The Tesla Roadster is a $130,000 car. Their model S is cheaper at $50,000, but that's still luxury car range pricing.

It seems like every mass produced EV has been really really ugly. Only recently have they gotten rid of that hideous covering over the rear wheels. I'm sure some of it has to do with compensating for the diminished horse-power with improved aerodynamics, but still they're usually fugly as hell.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
Gouty said:
Why do environmentally conscience vehicles have to look like space buggies and baby shoes? Why not design an attractive car AND include an electric motor?
Aerodynamics. Energy efficiency could probably easily be halved if using a traditional sedan body.

At least the newest generation of the Prius is starting to look really nice.

gcubed

yeah, its awesome the price is coming down, and i can basically use it for work all the time (60 miles round trip) and have some miles to spare. My wife works in the city and takes public transit all the time, so we have 1 car that gets driven twice a month and my Fit that i drive every day. This would be perfect for me to use for work and have the Fit be the "travel" car.

Crisco

Banned
Well my daily round trip to work and back home is 36 miles, with about 28 of those being highway miles. I have to assume it'll be able to handle that commute without a sweat.

Tarazet

It's inexpensive because of a $7500 tax credit and $1B of assistance from the Department of Energy. Color me unimpressed.

So....are these EV's ever going to get off taxpayer subsidies?
Yes. Let them first get on them. There are really no cars available right now except the Tesla.

These cars will be powered by ~100% domestic energy so they create local energy jobs as opposed to buying oil from foreign dictators. (We are now importing close to 70% of our oil.) EVs are advocated by national security hawks such as James Woolsey who drives a plug-in Prius.

So EVs are not just some left-wing hippie thing.

Hari Seldon said:
Call me when the price is reasonable.
*Ring* *Ring*

You need to consider the total cost of driving the car over the car's lifetime. No gas, no oil changes, VERY low maintenance (there are very few moving parts, less brake wear . . . regen braking FTW), etc.

K, THX, BYE

moojito

A lot of the questions in here are answered on the site linked in the OP.

100 mile range. 8 hours for a full charge at 220v, 16 for 110v, 26 minutes for an 80% charge. When you buy the car you buy a charger from them for ~$2k, they plan to put charging places around the country at malls, etc in time, which will show up on the sat nav.

I wonder what you're supposed to do with the charger when you sell the car on or buy one second hand? Interesting way to keep folk using the same brand of car if they all use the same charger in future.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Additionally, there is an array of state and local incentives that may further defray the costs and increase the benefits of owning and charging a Nissan LEAF - such as a $5,000 tax credit in Georgia
So I can get the ~$7k federal incentive and a ~$5k state incentive together? Awesome. I'm a student in GA but not a resident. I guess. How can I make it so that I am eligible to get that extra state incentive of $5k?

Dali said:
I'm pretty sure he was talking about something more conservative and attainable to the average consumer. Like simply any current best seller (Camry, Fusion, Altima, etc.) only electric. The Tesla Roadster is a $130,000 car. Their model S is cheaper at $50,000, but that's still luxury car range pricing.

It seems like every mass produced EV has been really really ugly. Only recently have they gotten rid of that hideous covering over the rear wheels. I'm sure some of it has to do with compensating for the diminished horse-power with improved aerodynamics, but still they're usually fugly as hell.
The Roadster is just a little over a $100K. The Roadster S is like $120K, that does 0 to 60 in 3.7 seconds. Find a gas car that can beat that!

Yes, the rear wheel covers are for aerodynamics. It is not diminished HP, it is for aerodynamics to help with range. As an engineer, I see beauty in functionality so I like great aerodynamics. I like the Aptera. :D

moojito said:
I wonder what you're supposed to do with the charger when you sell the car on or buy one second hand? Interesting way to keep folk using the same brand of car if they all use the same charger in future.

No. There is now a UAE standard for EV chargers. The J1772 charger:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAE_J1772

SAE J1772 was adopted on January 14, 2010 by the SAE Motor Vehicle Council.[4] The companies participating in or supporting the revised -2009 standard include GM, Chrysler, Ford, Toyota, Honda, Nissan and Tesla.

npm0925

speculawyer said:
Consider this . . . if you drive a gas car that gets 30mph for 12,000 miles for 10 years at an average price of $5/gallon (gasoline prices WILL be going up sharply over the next 10 years), that gas car will consume $20,000 in gasoline. The Leaf won't burn a drop of gasoline. The electricity will cost you around $2,000.
Price to drive 100 miles:

Leaf: $3
30 mpg car (assuming $5 per gallon): $16.67

Not exactly the 10:1 ratio you are claiming.

Dali

speculawyer said:
The Roadster is just a little over a $100K. The Roadster S is like $120K, that does 0 to 60 in 3.7 seconds. Find a gas car that can beat that!
They exist. I think new Vipers have this beat. Pretty-much any top of the line (special team) American muscle cars come close at a fraction of the price. Also the new Skyline has similar times and is also significantly cheaper.

Yes, the rear wheel covers are for aerodynamics. It is not diminished HP, it is for aerodynamics to help with range. As an engineer, I see beauty in functionality so I like great aerodynamics. I like the Aptera. :D
Fortunately not everyone sees beauty in functionality and the car makers have seemingly taken notice. Those things were hideous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom