• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NJPW G1 Climax 27 [OT] It's a Real-Life Tournament Arc!!!!!

The Butterfly Lock's cool because it ties YOSHI's whole move-set together, everything targets the neck. Also, Mr. G1 Masahiro Chono used it for years, so it's got gravitas in Japan.

You'll get him next time Yoshi

8ILQWKC.jpg

Thinking about Chono. Chono vs Onita had the best entrance of all time. It is a shame the match was "whatever" as far as no rope, barbed wire death matches go.

Hex

Banned
Yoshi-Hashi is like Scotty 2 Hotty, but way less charismatic

LOL at Bushi throwing water on him

Hashi just has no clue what he wants to do anymore.
He does these little half grunts and half yells in the ring which sound like some kind of little puppy trying to act all aggro but he doesn't even look or sound like he convinces himself.

Ha ha ha Naito fist bumping Kelly.

Man Kenny Omega is so good that he makes me forget sometimes that Naito is my favorite wrestler in the world.

Fun show this morning folks! Then tomorrow we're treated to Suzuki vs SANADA.

I'm off to give Epic an absurd amount of money for a F2P game I'll spend 10 minutes on and getting some coffee whilst it's downloading.

Man Kenny Omega is so good that he makes me forget sometimes that Naito is my favorite wrestler in the world.

I only prefer Kenny because he's a dork, I'm jealous of Naito having a level coolness that I'll never be able to get anywhere near achieving.

Poor YOSHI :(

Ah well, pretty sure he's gonna get his due when he beats Tanahashi for an IC title shot! Super fun show all-round, even the undercard was great - don't skip the first 3 matches especially.

Goto/Nagata and Ibushi/ZSJ stole the show though, fantastic bouts.

Hex

Banned
Fun show this morning folks! Then tomorrow we're treated to Suzuki vs SANADA.

I'm off to give Epic an absurd amount of money for a F2P game I'll spend 10 minutes on and getting some coffee whilst it's downloading.

I only prefer Kenny because he's a dork, I'm jealous of Naito having a level coolness that I'll never be able to get anywhere near achieving.

Okada and Elgin should be good too.

I will confess, while I love Kenny he is honestly maybe number 6 for me these days.
Naito, Sanada, Hiromu, Bushi all I am a huge mark for together and separate Okada, then Kenny.

As odd as it sounds I need him to lose a time or two (to someone other than Okada in an epic) to appreciate him again because right now he kind of comes off as "That guy"

Poor YOSHI :(

Ah well, pretty sure he's gonna get his due when he beats Tanahashi for an IC title shot! Super fun show all-round, even the undercard was great - don't skip the first 3 matches especially.

Goto/Nagata and Ibushi/ZSJ stole the show though, fantastic bouts.

I dunno I can't feel bad :p Dude couldn't have much more than a decent match with Tetsuya Naito who cant have near 5* classics in his sleep it feels.

That said with the Butterfly Lock I wouldn't be opposed to him tapping out Tanahashi if he focused the grab on the injured arm

Okada and Elgin should be good too.

I will confess, while I love Kenny he is honestly maybe number 6 for me these days.
Naito, Sanada, Hiromu, Bushi all I am a huge mark for together and separate Okada, then Kenny.

As odd as it sounds I need him to lose a time or two (to someone other than Okada in an epic) to appreciate him again because right now he kind of comes off as "That guy"

LOL you're like the opposite of a certain slogan.

Everything except EVIL!

Totally....

I also think Naito being the leader of LIJ, the best stable in recent wrestling history helps

All of LIJ are scary in that organized crime kind of way. It really sells them all to me because of the balance and range they all bring.

Suzuki is scary in that "I'm the old timer who will slap the shit out of you for speaking out of turn" kind of way.

All fantastic heels

All of LIJ are scary in that organized crime kind of way. It really sells them all to me because of the balance and range they all bring.

Suzuki is scary in that "I'm the old timer who will slap the shit out of you for speaking out of turn" kind of way.

All fantastic heels

LIJ is so good they're basically face heels lol.

No other group is as fluid in tandems as they are.

That's what makes them so special. Bullet Club is just individuals together, Chaos even more so, Suzuki-gun are basically just goons for Suzuki, and Taguchi Japan is just well you know...

Whereas LIJ, LIJ is a team, a unit. They are a collective.

I like Taguchi Japan but hey aren't what I'd call an epic team...

Taguchi is Japanese Disco Inferno! Over with a gimmick that would kill most men's careers

They're cool but they are a collection of individuals having a good time... They aren't a "team"

Taguchi Japan are my "take it easy" team for good times and fun. Taguchi goes harder than most in the BOSJ and when he needs to, but as far as feel good stuff goes they are the best. To me anyway.

They're cool but they are a collection of individuals having a good time... They aren't a "team"

The only real "team" in NJPW is LIJ, it seems like in general stables have moved beyond being teams. It's hard to hate on Taguchi though. I feel like it makes for a good "good team" kind of feel to matches.

In general the factions in NJPW make so sense to me because of their sheer size and lack of "team" aspect.

The only real "team" in NJPW is Bullet Club, it seems like in general stables have moved beyond being teams. It's hard to hate on Taguchi though. I feel like it makes for a good "good team" kind of feel to matches.

In general the factions in NJPW make so sense to me because of their sheer size and lack of "team" aspect.

Nah BC ain't a team. They're just a faction of guys with one tag team in it.

LIJ are a team, how they work their matches, how they compliment each other. They're a unit

kiguel182

Watched the last two matches.

Didn't find Naito v Yoshi Yashi anything special. It just didn't grab me.

ZSJ v Ibushi was match of the night and maybe my favorite match so far. It clicked with me totally.

Ishii match was also awesome, just stiff as fuck.

Imagine living a life where you don't love Taguchi.

It's funny, because the popular opinion as of WK11 was that he was a past his prime loser with a dumb comedy gimmick, just go look at the WK11 OT. Once the Taguchi Japan shit started though, he reinvented himself, and now he's one of the most consistently entertaining guys on the roster.

Not a lot of it, unfortunately - early to mid-2000's stuff is the biggest blind spot on NJPW World. Not exactly sure why.

Probably because most of it was shit, this was the period when Inoki basically went balls-out crazy, started booking MMA matches for his guys, and MMA guys in his matches, most of whom had no idea how to work. Add to that Riki Choshu basically giving all of his friends big pushes and killing the Jr. division. Add to that the hot streak NOAH was on at the time, and NJPW very very nearly went out of business, until they thankfully jettisoned Inoki when they were purchased by Yukes, they gave the belt to Tanahashi, and the rest is history.

Naito vs Kenny Omega finals, Naito wins.

That YOSHI-HASHI vs Naito match was kinda disappointing. YOSHI-HASHI just feels so .... vanilla. I feel like if he tried to be a bit more charismatic and tried to hype up his moves a little more before doing them, they'd be more entertaining. It's like he's just doing stuff.

Ibushi vs ZSJ was fantastic (no surprise there though)

Ishii vs Makabe was decent. I'm just not a big fan of Makabe tbh.

All the undercard matches were fun though

Does anyone have a gif of Elgin reversing the Gun Stun on Tonga from yesterday?

Only watched Ishii/Makabe and ZSJ/Ibushi from Day 3

Top Bottom