• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NME finally gets to their top 100 albums of all time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Goddamn shame about Kanyes latest Album Yeezus. This dude was putting out flames (Ill admit not everything was as good as CDO or MBDTF but still...) then he just went fucking nuts.

Yeezus is the worst album I have heard in the last year. 100% Garbo.

Kanye-West-gif.gif

Daft Punk- Discovery is the most out of place one on the whole list. Id love to hear their rational for having it in the list atall. I say this as a fan of electronic music more so than as a Daft punk fan.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
So a Kanye West album cracked the Top 25 yet a Michael Jackson album isn't to be found in the Top 100.... interesting.

I'd use the word "insane" instead of interesting, but to each their own.

Also, "Automatic for the People" at 65? I'll take it. My personal favorite.

On another note, I'm at least glad that NME voted and put Mclusky on the list! Seriously, Do Dallas kicks so much ass it's criminal they haven't made a bigger audience.

Was going to complain about Springsteen's placement, but the lack of Michael Jackson in the top 100 is probably the largest sin.

AlexBasch

The Bends is there.

Cool, don't give a shit about the rest. I was very into Radiohead some years ago, but I still think that's my #1 album, above OKC.

Randomizer

Three of my favourite albums in the top 10, The Queen is Dead, Different Class & Revolver. I love most of the others in the top but wouldn't class them as all time favourites. Overall the list is still pretty shit though. So many missing bands/artists and some that are not even worthy of being in a top 5000 albums of all time never mind 100. But music is possibly the most subjective of all entertainment mediums, so it would be nigh on impossible to have a list that pleases most people.

Randomizer

It's actually rather funny that The Smiths are featured so prevalently in the list. As NME and Morrissey have been feuding for over two decades. He absolutely fucking despises them.

xbhaskarx

I also have no idea who The Smiths are. Is it just some American thing like Garth Brooks?

[edit] Until I looked up who that guy was the other day, I'd never heard of The Velvet Underground either. I thought maybe they did the old WWE RAW theme. Nope.

I'm so glad I made this thread, just so I could read this comment.

HiResDes

Slowdive got robbed. They picked the wrong Bjork album, it's either Homogenic or Vespertine. Funeral ahead of Loveless and Closer? No fucking way. List is all fucked up at the top. MBDTF is the best rap album ever made according to their list, and that's quite offensive. FUCK NME.

It's weird living long enough to see Sgt Peppers be the consensus best album ever, vacate the throne for OK Computer, then see that usurped.

And while I'm disappointed there's no Elvis Costello in what I saw of the list, at least they got the right two R.E.M. albums in the top 100.

xbhaskarx

Lol the best selling album in the world isn't top 100.

While that particular album probably belongs on a top 100 list (hell just for Billie Jean alone), you make no argument beyond that it sold the most, but this is "best albums" not "most popular albums"... I don't know what the top grossing movie is, probably Superhero 6, but no one would be surprised if it didn't make a movie critics "top x movies" list despite doing so well at the box office.
While this list has many problems, it's certainly better than this list because most people are dumb and have bad taste...

While that particular album probably belongs on a top 100 list (hell just for Billie Jean alone), you make no argument beyond that it sold the most, but this is "best albums" not "most popular albums"... I don't know what the top grossing movie is, probably Superhero 6, but no one would be surprised if it didn't make a movie critics "top x movies" list despite doing so well at the box office.
While this list has many problems, it's certainly better than this list because most people are dumb and have bad taste...

Actually I'm sort of surprised at how good that best selling albums list is! Plenty of stuff on there I don't care for, but few can deny that the majority of the albums on there are classics.

xbhaskarx

Actually I'm sort of surprised at how good that best selling albums list is! Plenty of stuff on there I don't care for, but few can deny that the majority of the albums on there are classics.

It seems like a bit of a tautological statement to call these classics... What does classics mean? Albums everyone is familiar with? On the other hand it would be hard to refer to an album as a classic if one hasn't heard it, no matter how much critical praise it gets.

andymcc

Banned
It seems like a bit of a tautological statement to call these classics... What does classics mean? Albums everyone is familiar with? On the other hand it would be hard to refer to an album as a classic if one hasn't heard it, no matter how much critical praise it gets.

Criterion's older films are typically referred to as "classics" and they certainly aren't ones that are known by the masses, yet they're important films that tend to be critical darlings.

Classics in the sense that they are widely known, popular, and generally highly regarded albums. I kind of thought the list would be full of modern pop, but it provides a decent cross section of several genres. I mean, it's still pretty restrictive, but it's arguably broader than the nme list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom