• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NME finally gets to their top 100 albums of all time

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjork

I think Debut is my personal favorite of bjork's solo stuff, but I'm surprised Post wasn't on there instead.

denx

No Dark Side of the Moon GASP!

...eerrmm whatever, Piper at the Gates of Dawn and Wish You Were Here are better anyway. (not saying that DSOTM isn't awesome btw)

I think Debut is my personal favorite of bjork's solo stuff, but I'm surprised Post wasn't on there instead.

For me is a tossup between Post, Homogenic and Vespertine. I've never been too big on Debut really.

Haha what the hell. Maybe I spelled it wrong in the search bar. Thanks!

74721-I-feel-like-a-fucking-idiot-gi-w640.gif

It's immensely satisfying seeing these 10 albums on the top 100.

04. The Strokes - Is This It
11. Nirvana - Nevermind
17. Public Enemy - It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back
20. Radiohead - OK Computer
30. Wu-Tang Clan - Enter The Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)
39. The Clash - London Calling
67. Oasis - (What's The Story) Morning Glory
74. Nas - IIImatic
75. Green Day - Dookie
87. The Beatles - Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

Even though a few of them were no-brainers, some of them I was pleasantly surprised about. And I'm definitely gonna check out some of the others listed that look unfamiliar.

elektrixx

Banned
I also have no idea who The Smiths are. Is it just some American thing like Garth Brooks?

Everyone's heard of The Beatles.

[edit] Until I looked up who that guy was the other day, I'd never heard of The Velvet Underground either. I thought maybe they did the old WWE RAW theme. Nope.

Servbot24

Banned
I've listened to maybe 90 albums in the top 100 and i have no idea who "The Smiths" are. Wtf?

Wait, is this actually true???

Anyways this is a pretty embarrassing list but what do you expect.

OK Computer is the best album of all time btw. Look at their description for it versus their description for King is Dead. Sheesh. "Well The Smiths don't sound much worse and that's mainly why we chose em"

There's some legitimately good stuff on that list, but maybe it's just the way my taste in music goes but I always find it weird when a single group (or several groups) have several albums on a top list.

The other thing I always wonder is how much the rankings are actually about the quality of the music and how much are about their perceived importance as cultural milestones. Because, I mean look, I grew up on Nevermind but I could name a huge, huge number of albums that I think are just plain better as albums.

Edit: At least the superior Pixies album is higher up and Rumours in on there.

I always find it weird when a single group (or several groups) have several albums on a top list.

The way they placed The Smiths makes no sense.

97. The Smiths - The Smiths
100. The Smiths - Hatful of Hollow

But Hatful of Hollow is a compilation album which includes more than half the songs on The Smiths (different versions).

And if they are including compilation albums, then Louder Than Bombs is the Smiths best album (the only one I'd include), so despite including 4 albums with repeat songs, they didn't include their best album.

The way they placed The Smiths makes no sense.

97. The Smiths - The Smiths
100. The Smiths - Hatful of Hollow

But Hatful of Hollow is a compilation album which includes more than half the songs on The Smiths (different versions).

And if they are including compilation albums, then Louder Than Bombs is the Smiths best album (the only one I'd include), so despite including 4 albums with repeat songs, they didn't include their best album.

Louder than Bombs absolutely wipes the floor with Hatful of Hollow.

The order doesn't matter so much because who is really going to meaningfully order 500 albums but I will definitely use the top 100 to fill in some blanks in my history.

Think I'll start with Television.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
A lot of these lists are so predictable what their choices will be, honestly. Like, yeah, no Rick James or James Brown or Gil Scott-Heron because we've got to have gussy English rock band with guitars no 104

So all the Metal albums would be:
Metallica's Metallica and Master of Puppets
Slayer's Reign In Blood
*maybe* Soundgarden's Badmotorfinger (Soundgarden were definitely a Metal band at least at one point in their career)
I guess Rage Against The Machine's first album, although I don't consider it a Metal album.

Also, neither Back In Black and Appetite for Destruction are Metal albums, guys.

mclem

Now, I'll concede I'm pretty much a musical ignoramus, and I'm not sure I have any place to argue against the NME, but...

3. David Bowie, Hunky Dory (1971) RCA. If the message of 'Changes' was that nothing lasts forever, it's ironic how that song has gone on to become his most enduring hit, and 'Hunky Dory' his most time-tested album. Forget the glitter, the Spiders, the weird eyes, it was Bowie's incredible song-writing gifts on 'Hunky Dory' that convinced us he was beamed from the stars.

Most enduring hit? I love Changes, but Heroes? Ziggy Stardust? Starman? Space Oddity? Life on Mars?

Cipherr

Goddamn shame about Kanyes latest Album Yeezus. This dude was putting out flames (Ill admit not everything was as good as CDO or MBDTF but still...) then he just went fucking nuts.

Yeezus is the worst album I have heard in the last year. 100% Garbo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom