• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky - Atlas Rises |OT| Nada, Polo and you no longer fly solo

Saw some posters saying they are waiting for 1.32.

Sorry, I meant I'm waiting for 1.33, which came out in the experimental branch recently. It reduces the difficulty of the Sentinel armorer mission, among other things.

I can't wait until I'm finished with the base missions and I can get off the toxic dump that 1.3 turned my planet into. For some reason toxic worlds that I've seen are much worse-looking in 1.3. The textures end up looking really low-res until you get up close to them.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Clean UI gets rid of Vignette, Scan Lines & Chromatic Aberration - http://www.nexusmods.com/nomanssky/mods/395/?

Just make sure you get the file that matches your current game version because the modders are already updating ready for Patch 1.33.

You are correct, there should be an option to disable this stuff. I've noticed even with motion blur disabled you get a small amount of radial blur when you move and you can't disable that.

thanks i'll try that one out.

Snoopycat

Banned
My game is so utterly riddled with major bugs I'm getting quite concerned. Broken quest lines, missing quests, broken NPCs...I really hope Hello Games can fix this stuff or my save is fucked. I can't speak to Nada and Polo and their Anomaly never moves, the Atlas quest has vanished and the station won't let me talk to the Atlas Interface, the Awakenings quest is broken in an infinite loop of 'target not in this system > target is in current system'. Basically everything that isn't 'grind units for a bigger freighter' is busted.

I'm seeing more bugs the longer I play. It started with the frame rate collapsing and then the game freezing altogether when I found a crashed freighter. Then side missions started vanishing so I can't finish them. Yesterday I went to an Atlus station and was unable to do anything. I checked YouTube to see if it there was some kind of puzzle I was missing but no, it's just bugged.

Harlock

Dumb question: how you move stuff between the exosuit general slots to the new exosuit cargo slots?
Edit: i am stupid, is just use the move button. Never used before because most of time was just transfering between exosuit and ship.

And installed tech you still need to dismantle and build again to rearrange the slot?

I made a few dozen jumps following the Atlas path but now I need to backtrack to find a
holographic communication tower
for the Artemis quest. I just assumed I could find it in any system but apparently I must return to the system where I received the quest. The navigation map is not making it easy! If I track the mission and try to get the map to direct me, it says the objective is in my current system. If I use the discoveries list to mark my starting world as a waypoint I still don't get directions on the map (although I did at first - after 5-6 jumps the blue line has vanished and I think it's a glitch).

Is there any way to find a
holographic communication tower
in another system or am I screwed?

Been a few days since I finished the story, but I seem to remember you should be able to find those just by using the scanner while in space. I think the game either marked one itself in the system I was in, or I needed to scan from space for one to appear. But then again, I was lucky that I stayed in my home system during most of the story or didn't wander off too far (except when you have to) so I didn't have any of these problems.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
omg i just got offered a much better multi tool but i didn't accept it because i first wanted to deconstruct the mods on my current tool to use the materials towards the new one. now i can't get the new tool at all. oh well :(

what's the best way to deal with this? if i'm offered a tool should i just back out the conversation before i actually see the tool? but then what if it's not worth upgrading to and i've deconstructed my mods?

omg i just got offered a much better multi tool but i didn't accept it because i first wanted to deconstruct the mods on my current tool to use the materials towards the new one. now i can't get the new tool at all. oh well :(

what's the best way to deal with this? if i'm offered a tool should i just back out the conversation before i actually see the tool? but then what if it's not worth upgrading to and i've deconstructed my mods?

Save the game before talking to Vy'Keen or activating the giant Monoliths in case you are offered a multi-tool. Although I'm not sure if if reloading the game creates a different outcome...

Guys am I screwed that I had an old mission for the exocraft guy? He won't talk to me anymore :(.

Hopefully it will fixed in the next patch.

SJRB

Gold Member
I'm kinda stuck in a combat loop.

I'm on a hostile planet where Sentinels attack on sight. After taking down a couple I really had enough of that so I left the planet, only to get intercepted by some interception force. I take down the fighter, but two more spawn. They follow me back to the planet, I destroy both of them but I'm still in combat mode.

I can't hyperjump or anything. Not sure what I'm supposed to do. Just fight off the waves until the combat mode ends?

MaKTaiL

you have to feed animals and collect their shit

The Gek Farmer will give you a quest to farm Coprite. To get the materials necessary to plant it, feed a planetary animal, then wander around behind it until it poops.

Yup. Poops.
It's so wierd. I never saw it as poop but as some kind of special rock they uncovered. Because when they "find" it they are always looking forward. More like a puke than poop.

edgefusion

I'm going to have to pass on the Sentinel armorer mission until 1.33 drops. I've tried and died 6 times now. For as much as the armorer is pushing Infra-Knife Accelerator upgrades on me, it doesn't seem very effective. Maybe at closer range, and maybe if I could get a solid bead on them, but the flight controls are too twitchy right now (another reason to wait for 1.33). Rocket launcher is fairly powerful, but bizarrely isn't guided, so it's really a close-range and anti-freighter weapon. But the real problem is there's 5 Sentinel ships plus a very angry battleship against just me. The fighters fly in two groups, 3 and 2, but that means even when I get the drop on one group, the other is slamming beam weapons into me. Shields melt in no time. Maybe I'm approaching this the wrong way, but I've tried ducking into an asteroid field and weaving in-between a NPC freighter group and the odds are just stacked.

My ship is a legacy C-class fighter, but it's fairly decked out with upgrades. If I'm having this much trouble, I can only imagine how new players are faring. It's no wonder HG are dropping the difficulty level, but it's hard to believe they thought this was reasonable in the first place.

If it's any consolation (quest reward spoiler)
you get nothing for it and it's the end of his quest line.

It's so wierd. I never saw it as poop but as some kind of special rock they uncovered. Because when they "find" it they are always looking forward. More like a puke than poop.

These are alien animals, maybe they poop from their mouths? They don't have buttholes after all.

I'm pretty certain terrain is now locked in.

I wouldn't bet on it. There are certainly things that could be changed like having more distinct continents, large lakes and oceans on one planet (as opposed to just archipelagos across the entire planet etc.), caves could get a large overhaul (which would directly influence the entire terrain again), and with the introduction of a few exotic and weird planets in this update, I wouldn't be surprised if they kept adding more weird variations like that, which would certainly force more galaxy resets.

As a matter of fact, I'd go as far to say that I wouldn't be too attached to anything too much, so bases, cool home planets, trade routes, ships, freighters etc. will be getting constant changes during the life of this game, and frankly, if HG are willing to update this game for a longer time, I think the scope and the nature of those changes will force them to reset a lot of stuff all the time.

What's the difference between an animal or a Gek?

I agree that we'll see player models running around so, at least from an animation standpoint it's doable.

The difference between an animal and a Gek however is much larger. Animals in NMS have very simple AI, they walk around, attack or run away and occasionally poop if you feed them, and they do this in often comically exaggerated animations. Doing the AI and interactions between NPCs running around a planet would need considerably more work, otherwise we'd probably see clusters of NPCs running around like idiots and still standing around most of the time, which just wouldn't work well.

Another major thing is how animals are generated in the game world. Pretty much everything in the game is generated in various radiuses/distances around the player. The animal detection dots you see through the visor are just potential regions where random creatures might eventually spawn around you, and they really spawn pretty close to the player. Even the special buildings you "detect" from space, you're basically pressing a button to spawn a random marker that will eventually generate the building once the player is close enough.

What I mean is, there is nothing in the game world that can exist at a precise location and freely move around the star system if it isn't in the immediate proximity of the player. You can't have a trader ship fly around and do its thing on its own from one end of the system to the other because it'll vanish when it gets far enough from the player.

So in that sense, it would be pretty hard for HG to have a lot of the mission types or situations you mentioned without a major and more fundamental overhaul of multiple technical systems. I would love to have stuff like that, but apart from them doing the same tricks and spawning predefined clusters of NPCs in predefined situations in the very near proximity around the player, I don't see them doing anything more than that.

Cities. People seem to think these are far fetched wishes. When you've got a game like this, which is pushing absurd levels of detail from maths, I hardly think the straight lines of a city are going to be that troubling. Just look at the space stations and freighters. Huge structures.

The performance of the game isn't that great as it is with vast open terrain. I can't imagine just how much the performance would tank if they added even dozens of buildings (and that's like a small city block, you'd need hundreds of structures visible in the distance to create the illusion of a city). It would just be a performance, popup, NPC and ships spawning nightmare. The freighters and space stations exist in a much less intensive environment (empty space) and are fairly simplistic in design, and even then, when you have a small fleet of freighters, a few ships and a station on screen and the performance can drop considerably. I just don't think having cities in this game is realistic. Yes, you can have large buildings, but having a large number on them on screen, have them look reasonably well (a lot of parts from the crashed freighters are just smudgy messes) and even be able to enter some of them, and possibly adding more flying ships and NPCs on streets etc. is not happening.

But why not have missions within the station?

Deeper space stations could totally work, probably even with NPCs running around (or at least standing ;) ).

One thing they might implement one day that ties in to base building and your base missions idea are procedurally generated dungeons like in Minecraft. HG would need to do a lot of work around that, and build new room/cave/whatever building blocks, but the essential tools are there, so having procedural roguelike rooms and floors on special missions etc. could work.

Travelling between systems without warping. That was a particularly foolish thing to talk about. How was that ever going to be possible?

Space Engine already does this, and that probably one of the reasons why people expected a more open and seamless universe. If you remember, Sean said multiple times that if you see a star in the sky, you can go there. And you "kinda" do, but in Space Engine you literally do that, without any loading or hitching. I don't really have a problem with it, all space exploration games in the past have done the same thing, Elite: Dangerous does the same thing (loading a new star system during hyperjump), so it's not unreasonable for HG to do the same thing for NMS. There's just so many things to calculate and generate, it wouldn't be very realistic for them to pull off something like Space Engine where, even though really impressive, has very empty and basic systems in place with no game elements at all.

The speeds are irrelevant here, because again, you can sort of roleplay in Space Engine and set the flight speed at whatever you want and seamlessly travel not just trough the galaxy at a fun and reasonable speed, but also between other galaxies as well. You could even imagine a very game assisted way of flying many times the speed of light and still not missing your destination. It's the sense of interactive hyperspace surfing that would've made a really cool feeling every time you jump, but that's just not how NMS's universe works. Even the star systems themselves aren't realistic star system spaces, which unfortunately diminishes the feeling of being in space, but it is what it is.

Anyway, I think that after a year's worth of updates, there are certain things we have to just come to terms with that probably won't be there, at least not in a satisfactory fashion. Atlas Rises adds a lot of good stuff, but it's still limited within the possibilities of the engine and the nature of how things are generated and exist in the game world. I'm not saying we won't get some surprises along the way, but I wouldn't hold my breath on some things.

I can totally see there being procedural dungeons, customizable ships and player avatars, cooperative multiplayer missions and hangouts and possibly larger community goals (as in all players working towards opposing goals as factions), more story, more ships, animal types etc, maybe keeping creatures in a zoo, another thing with creatures could have their individual parts have different properties (because they're already built from individual parts) so scanning the head and left leg could yield more info, resources etc. or you'd need to hunt a t-rex by shooting it's weakest parts (the head) better hunting missions, maybe even add weird cross breeding experiments (because, again, the building blocks are there, if they add custom ship building, could potentially add custom animal building, with limited but hilarious results).

Would be nice to have more random systemic events just while walking around, so just like having animals spawn in your vicinity, also have marauders attacking you or each other (like bandit fights in STALKER, just smaller scale and in closer proximity) or injured Gek or Vy'keen needing gas, just spawning more NPCs on ground (would still probably mostly be static) instead of buildings and language stones.

And also have procedural questlines, maybe tied to those dungeons, so the game spawns a distress signal on the comms, creates a waypoint leading to a temple, there you find a note saying go north, then run into a monolith which gives you an artifact, then maybe have a multi-tool upgrade beeping radar that beeps faster when you're closer to a treasure, which unveils (generates) an entrance to a dungeon type that holds nasty tentacle monsters and guards an artifact which costs 20mil on the market or teaches you a portal glyph. That kind of stuff is what I'd like to see the most.

MaKTaiL

It would be awesome if we could find abandoned large ships on space to board into. Then we could find some kind of alien that murdered everyone inside, kill them and then get the special loot. We would also have a really nice wide view of the space from the boarding area (basically spacewalking).

Long story short: more space missions and locations would be nice. Image a Cidatel like the one on Mass Effect =O

Guppeth

Been a few days since I finished the story, but I seem to remember you should be able to find those just by using the scanner while in space. I think the game either marked one itself in the system I was in, or I needed to scan from space for one to appear. But then again, I was lucky that I stayed in my home system during most of the story or didn't wander off too far (except when you have to) so I didn't have any of these problems.

I've played a lot and scanned in space regularly. No towers for me. :( I should have done it your way instead of going on a star trek.

My terrain excavation at my base suddenly disappeared last night...

:(

Bug? Or is excavation temporary?

I thought stuff done inside your base boundary was permanent?

eizarus

Banned
Just landed on a fungal planet with mushrooms three times the size of a human and abundant with resources. The toxicity's really high and makes the place look like a green mess during the day. Then the night kicked in and I was blown away by how beautiful the place looked under nightfall, especially with the music they've added playing in the background. Think I'll be spending a while exploring this place before I jump to another planet.

MaKTaiL

Judt found a toxic planet with crazy sentinels lurking around that try to kill me everytime they spot me and 12 animals to find and scan. Challenge accepted!

Just landed on a fungal planet with mushrooms three times the size of a human and abundant with resources. The toxicity's really high and makes the place look like a green mess during the day. Then the night kicked in and I was blown away by how beautiful the place looked under nightfall, especially with the music they've added playing in the background. Think I'll be spending a while exploring this place before I jump to another planet.

See if there are any gravitino balls there. Sounds like a similar planet I found where they were plentiful, granted that was last year after launch. Have fun exploring :D And post some pics!

CorianderV

Neo Member

'Coprite' is derived from the Greek κόπρος copros, "feces."

qcf x2

How do I survive the armorer sentinel ship mission? I wanna go back in space... :(

Also dang, I tried to restore the most recent save and lost like 45 min of progress.

Aenima

Portal traveling sucks, or seems to be bugged.

So after i found my 1st grave with a glyph i used a glitch to collect 15 out of the 16 (the 16th one is glitched too and could not receive it, so its a glich inside a glitch)

Anyway with 15 glyphs thats enought to imput many valid portal adresses, looked in the internet for some adreeses and imputed them on the portal and they all take me to the same planet. Tried to put a random adress too the portal even gave me a message saying "invalid adress" and generating nearby location, and once again it took me to the same planet.

Once in the other side cant summon the ship, but can build and summon exocrafts. Someone told that if u claim a base in the other side and use the portal to a space station u can bring the ship to that planet, so im gonna try do that just to see how far that planet is from my own home planet.

Nice, just found out that you can mine Kelp Sac (formerly known as Rigogen) from the comfort of your ship. It's a bit of a chore, but nice nonetheless.
You also can destroy the secured blast doors at outposts before exiting your ship, avoiding the kerfuffle with the sentinels :)

I know it's not feasible at all but the more I fall into the game again the more I wish it were not only on VR, but also the Switch. It would be so good in that format. Guess I should look into a Vita if it plays well through it. I'll miss the screen size though.

Grinchy

Banned
The ๖ۜBronx;246531848 said:
I know it's not feasible at all but the more I fall into the game again the more I wish it were not only on VR, but also the Switch. It would be so good in that format. Guess I should look into a Vita if it plays well through it. I'll miss the screen size though.

VR would have been amazing. I'd even accept some toned-down visuals if they could magically make it run well enough for PSVR.

VR would have been amazing. I'd even accept some toned-down visuals if they could magically make it run well enough for PSVR.
Yeh, this is my most hoped for pipe dream at the moment. It would be incredible, and is incredibly sad that it will likely never come to PSVR even if it does ever get VR as an option.

Thumper, Bound and Resident Evil have all been incredible to experience, but the knowledge of what NMS could offer is almost too painful to think about lol.

Tigress

The ๖ۜBronx;246531848 said:

I have a vita. It does not play well with it at all. Sony made the default controls horrendous for any game that requires shooting and doesn't allow you to remap the controls (basically the trigger button r2 is on the front screen so good luck trying to shoot and aim at the same time. Hell, it being on the rear touch screen would have been better even). So any game with shooting to be decent on the vita the developer has to support remote play and come up with their own mapping (fallout does great on the vita and gta is playable at least).

Trust me I could rant more on Sony's choice to not support custom mapping or at the very least come up with a better default mapping of controls (I have no idea what the person who came up with the mapping scheme was thinking. It was as if they put no thought into it at all and just came up with whatever came to their mind first and was done with it). And nms was the game that illustrated why Sony fucked up to me (I don't blame a small developer for not focusing on a dieing handheld. I don't even blame the big publishers at this point for ignoring vita, I was pleasantly surprised Bethesda actually did. I do blame Sony for not making it more flexible for games that don't support remote play. It would have made it more useful for more games for little extra effort on their part. But then Sony never seemed to want to put much effort into selling the vita in the first place :mad: ).

My game is so utterly riddled with major bugs I'm getting quite concerned. Broken quest lines, missing quests, broken NPCs...I really hope Hello Games can fix this stuff or my save is fucked. I can't speak to Nada and Polo and their Anomaly never moves, the Atlas quest has vanished and the station won't let me talk to the Atlas Interface, the Awakenings quest is broken in an infinite loop of 'target not in this system > target is in current system'. Basically everything that isn't 'grind units for a bigger freighter' is busted.

I'm having similar issues too. I lost all the progress I made on the missions we had to do to get the items from the last major update. When I try to redo the missions, it seems like i'm in an infinite loop where nothing I did for the missions seem to register.

edit: Nevermind

Rizzi

Why do resource deposits look like horrible glitched out messes when I scan them?

7F7725B0C523FB173A75352D46032C3E46A24481

Why do resource deposits look like horrible glitched out messes when I scan them?

Yeah, I don't know why they made this change. It's even worse than before and it's basically all white even when looking from afar (so it shows the blinding lens flare). Maybe they added it as a temporary fix with less polygons or something, until they make a better solution. That whole grid has always been annoying, I wonder if it would be better to only show it while using the visor.

Aenima

Yeah, I don't know why they made this change. It's even worse than before and it's basically all white even when looking from afar (so it shows the blinding lens flare). Maybe they added it as a temporary fix with less polygons or something, until they make a better solution. That whole grid has always been annoying, I wonder if it would be better to only show it while using the visor.

Might be a graphical glitch on the PC version. On PS4 still looks like the old version when u scan it.

Not story related, but they contain a terminal with pieces of lore.

All, or alost all forsaken, abandoned, etc planets are full of those things.

Sure? I've been on two of these planets with synthetic plants and shit and no signs of those nowhere. Even tried to scan for monoliths, marked me things off planet.

I wouldn't bet on it. There are certainly things that could be changed like having more distinct continents, large lakes and oceans on one planet (as opposed to just archipelagos across the entire planet etc.), caves could get a large overhaul (which would directly influence the entire terrain again), and with the introduction of a few exotic and weird planets in this update, I wouldn't be surprised if they kept adding more weird variations like that, which would certainly force more galaxy resets.
It was fine the first time, it was a soft reset. The second was absolutely necessary, the player base was almost nonexistent and it needed reviving. But now? How can you maintain a player base if you keep destroying player discoveries? If they can update it without changing anything, then fine. I'm not sure they could even push it further anyway. I just don't see it as acceptable anymore. They could add new galaxies or mix old and new, but just resetting it all again would be too much for a lot of people. Not to mention the amount of bugs it creates.
As a matter of fact, I'd go as far to say that I wouldn't be too attached to anything too much, so bases, cool home planets, trade routes, ships, freighters etc. will be getting constant changes during the life of this game, and frankly, if HG are willing to update this game for a longer time, I think the scope and the nature of those changes will force them to reset a lot of stuff all the time.
Anything outside of terrain generation is a different matter entirely. They can be changed without messing with the worlds.
The difference between an animal and a Gek however is much larger. Animals in NMS have very simple AI, they walk around, attack or run away and occasionally poop if you feed them, and they do this in often comically exaggerated animations. Doing the AI and interactions between NPCs running around a planet would need considerably more work, otherwise we'd probably see clusters of NPCs running around like idiots and still standing around most of the time, which just wouldn't work well.
Yeah, I am assuming they would improve the AI, that's my main focus.
Another major thing is how animals are generated in the game world. Pretty much everything in the game is generated in various radiuses/distances around the player. The animal detection dots you see through the visor are just potential regions where random creatures might eventually spawn around you, and they really spawn pretty close to the player. Even the special buildings you "detect" from space, you're basically pressing a button to spawn a random marker that will eventually generate the building once the player is close enough.
Yeah, I find that particularly odd, considering what it does to performance. I understand the problem though, because the game doesn't know what the terrain is before you get there, so it takes processing power to find out. If they improve that system, they can improve the distribution of animals.
What I mean is, there is nothing in the game world that can exist at a precise location and freely move around the star system if it isn't in the immediate proximity of the player. You can't have a trader ship fly around and do its thing on its own from one end of the system to the other because it'll vanish when it gets far enough from the player.

So in that sense, it would be pretty hard for HG to have a lot of the mission types or situations you mentioned without a major and more fundamental overhaul of multiple technical systems. I would love to have stuff like that, but apart from them doing the same tricks and spawning predefined clusters of NPCs in predefined situations in the very near proximity around the player, I don't see them doing anything more than that.
It's just a value. If you take a mission now the game knows where the mission was taken, the destination, the parameters of that mission and its end point. And also extents to an entirely different system than the one you're in. There are systems in place that know where stuff is. The best example is the compass. The game knows where north and south is, so it must be able to work out any coordinates on that planet, without you even having to go there.

If the game knows where a trader started and where its going, you can go to a specific point on that route and the trader will be there. The game just needs a starting point, a duration and an end point. Do they do it now? I don't think so, because they are there to serve you. I'm not saying all NPCs should be tracked, but for missions they can be.
The performance of the game isn't that great as it is with vast open terrain. I can't imagine just how much the performance would tank if they added even dozens of buildings (and that's like a small city block, you'd need hundreds of structures visible in the distance to create the illusion of a city). It would just be a performance, popup, NPC and ships spawning nightmare. The freighters and space stations exist in a much less intensive environment (empty space) and are fairly simplistic in design, and even then, when you have a small fleet of freighters, a few ships and a station on screen and the performance can drop considerably. I just don't think having cities in this game is realistic. Yes, you can have large buildings, but having a large number on them on screen, have them look reasonably well (a lot of parts from the crashed freighters are just smudgy messes) and even be able to enter some of them, and possibly adding more flying ships and NPCs on streets etc. is not happening.
Polygonizing voxels is a lot harder than just displaying pre-baked polygon models. A mountain in the low LOD is no different to a cityscape. They don't have to load the entire city, just as the game doesn't load an entire planet. There are different steps. Even now buildings appear before the ground they're sitting on, and the finer details of the terrain don't appear until you've left your ship. The part of the city you're landing on doesn't have to be fully detailed until you leave your ship. Not all the city is going to be there in front of you, in its fullest detail. And once you're inside the city the whole terrain of the planet wouldn't be needed away, it would be like you left it.

What if the city had a dome over the top that obscured the city enough to make it viable? :D None of would get said if they didn’t have a staff member who specialises in procedural cities.

Top Bottom