• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky - Atlas Rises |OT| Nada, Polo and you no longer fly solo

Sadly, since I last posted days ago I've only been able to play a couple hours. I moved to a new apartment and college started back up this week, which means I will only have less and less time to play.

Luckily though Patch 1.32 has allowed me to start rebuilding my base and playing through the base side quests! I'm on my way to starting a massive Liquid Explosive hustling farming operation.

Please send love and prayers to a neglected copy of No Man's Sky.

So the game just robbed me of my materials when I dismanted some tech on my ship. I was supposed to get Iridium back, but nope, none to be found anywhere in my inventory. This must be a bug since I had no free slots in my ship. I do have free slots in my exosuit though and assumed they'd get dumped there. Nope, they just disappeared into the void.

I did too, so I looked it up on the wiki and
it said the mission could be repeated endlessly. So I racked up 15 million in 30 mins

That's sort of crazy, considering how tightly money and resources are gated in this game. I mean they obviously did it on purpose. I figured there'd be no bad consequence, but it would be kind of amazing if down the road they checked the playerGotGreedy variable and changed the narrative based on your choice.

I just did this one. Yeah... kind of have a bad feeling about this..

Honestly I found it quicker to just open the inventory screen and choose some zinc real quick. I find the quick menu really clumsy, and having to manually back out of it always trips me up. I would've much preferred if they had built an auto-recharge system using available stockpiles.

My suggestion on that mission is to to go far enough into space that they start scanning you, then do a 180 and when they warp in, boost back down to the surface. That removes you getting hit by the battleship and I found it easier to dogfight them in atmosphere. Also use the rocket launcher if you have it, it does quite a bit of damage if you can lock into a ship with it.

I was still on my starter ship LOL. Just traded it in for a bigger one. I'm having a harder time finding Aluminium for the Tech than in Foundation and Pathfinder. Just Photon Cannons for now.

Landed on a radioactive planet. Aside from the giant crabs and tentacle brain creatures running around, an amazing planet. Bizarre rock formations. Then I wander away from the outpost I landed at and....oh my god. Look at the size of this mountian.

t2F1E6W.jpg

As I got closer, it just got taller. And steeper. It might be hard to judge scale from this, but keep in mind my eye height is only about a third as tall as that triangle rock at the bottom. I've played probably over 200 hours of NMS, I've seen tons of mountains. Nothing I'd seen even approaches how steep this thing is. Almost straight up. Just...wow. It took me a few minutes to even climb to the top. That ledge about halfway up actually had a waypoint beacon on it. Unfortunately the planet is so hazy that you don't really get the height, but needless to say I jumped off the top and jetpacked down in freefall for a good 15-20 seconds.

Vexidus

So the game just robbed me of my materials when I dismanted some tech on my ship. I was supposed to get Iridium back, but nope, none to be found anywhere in my inventory. This must be a bug since I had no free slots in my ship. I do have free slots in my exosuit though and assumed they'd get dumped there. Nope, they just disappeared into the void.

This has happened to me, and when I cleared up a slot, the missing material magically appeared there as if it was in a queue.

magawolaz

Landed on a radioactive planet. Aside from the giant crabs and tentacle brain creatures running around, an amazing planet. Bizarre rock formations. Then I wander away from the outpost I landed at and....oh my god. Look at the size of this mountian.

As I got closer, it just got taller. And steeper. It might be hard to judge scale from this, but keep in mind my eye height is only about a third as tall as that triangle rock at the bottom. I've played probably over 200 hours of NMS, I've seen tons of mountains. Nothing I'd seen even approaches how steep this thing is. Almost straight up. Just...wow. It took me a few minutes to even climb to the top. That ledge about halfway up actually had a waypoint beacon on it. Unfortunately the planet is so hazy that you don't really get the height, but needless to say I jumped off the top and jetpacked down in freefall for a good 15-20 seconds.
ohhh I have a huge thing for big rock formations:

The one in the third pic may look bland but it was probably the biggest.

I wish they would get even taller and steeper, with pointy peaks.

kafiend

This has happened to me, and when I cleared up a slot, the missing material magically appeared there as if it was in a queue.

Does the same thing if you get a warning about full inventory when turning in quests. No idea if it works with multiple items or just the last one.

Snoopycat

Banned
Are you talking about the last dialogue not triggering? Because I just had this happening to me and I'm sitting here googling a solution, lol.

I remember others having this problem but I didn't investigate further cause I didn't want to get spoiled. Is there a fix?

EDIT: apparently you just needed to go to the following Atlas station. Pretty unintuitive, but okay

Yeah. I got there and there were 3 figures floating in the air, nothing happened. I thought maybe I had missed something, so I went on YouTube and watched a vid of this guy getting a couple of blue prints just walking along the path. I'll try warping to the next station and hopefully that'll fix it.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i have learned how to make an atlas pass v1. i crafted 5 assuming i could only use one just the once but i have opened about 10 things and i still have the 5 in my inventory. am i safe to sell 4 passes or is this a bug?

mokeyjoe

i have learned how to make an atlas pass v1. i crafted 5 assuming i could only use one just the once but i have opened about 10 things and i still have the 5 in my inventory. am i safe to sell 4 passes or is this a bug?

You only need one, they're not consumables.

So for anyone doing awakening just a heads up at some point you will be asked to board the anomaly ship. DO NOT TAKE THAT CALL IN A SYSTEM WITH AN ATLAS! It will break the quest as it will register the anomaly inside the atlas. I don't really want to put more detail since it will be a spoiler so just avoid taking calls in systems with an atlas.

Speaking of which for anyone who finished awakenings,
do I really need to reach the center of the galaxy? Is there a fastest way to get there?

somme

You only need one, it doesn't get consumed.

Also, the PS4 patch just started downloading for me. (Just over 2 gig)

mokeyjoe

So for anyone doing awakening just a heads up at some point you will be asked to board the anomaly ship. DO NOT TAKE THAT CALL IN A SYSTEM WITH AN ATLAS! It will break the quest as it will register the anomaly inside the atlas. I don't really want to put more detail since it will be a spoiler so just avoid taking calls in systems with an atlas.

Speaking of which for anyone who finished awakenings,
do I really need to reach the center of the galaxy? Is there a fastest way to get there?

There is a faster way to get there, just keep going.

Has there been any word on the PC performance? My FPS has gone much worse than before and it's always caching the shaders every time it loads. I thought this was supposed to only happen after a patch or driver update?

Sarcasm

Has there been any word on the PC performance? My FPS has gone much worse than before and it's always caching the shaders every time it loads. I thought this was supposed to only happen after a patch or driver update?

I gained. Then again I refresh my install. You can try clearing the shadercache folder.

I gained. Then again I refresh my install. You can try clearing the shadercache folder.

Ok, thanks. I'll give that a go although don't recall if it was a clean install or not. Will reinstall if no better (although my new game started me in a system with 2 planets in very close proximity might have an impact)

Sarcasm

Ok, thanks. I'll give that a go although don't recall if it was a clean install or not. Will reinstall if no better (although my new game started me in a system with 2 planets in very close proximity might have an impact)

Try clearing the shadercache before doing somethign drastic. Though you can backup your save(s).

I use gamesave manager which you can link to use your preferred cloud storage.

Handy Fake

Sadly, since I last posted days ago I've only been able to play a couple hours. I moved to a new apartment and college started back up this week, which means I will only have less and less time to play.

Luckily though Patch 1.32 has allowed me to start rebuilding my base and playing through the base side quests! I'm on my way to starting a massive Liquid Explosive hustling farming operation.

Please send love and prayers to a neglected copy of No Man's Sky.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-EF60neguk

belvedere

Junior Butler
I'll gladly take a performance hit for better draw distance and more grass. The immersion is great now and I barely notice FPS drops.

You know, I was just thinking about it and realized I've been on a few different planets with metric shit-tons of fauna. I don't know if its just coincidence but there were literally at least 30+ different animals all running around my immediate area. It brought the framerate down but it wasn't an issue on different lush planet with less fauna.

Mr Git

I'm hoping the exocraft missions have been fixed, it's currently impossible for me to do one of them and I really don't want to move my base for it.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Patch notes man. Give us bloody patch notes, devs are allergic to them for some reason.

Any reason to believe they'll be that different from the PC experimental version already out?

PC Version:
Fixed issue where player bases were given the name "Unknown Base" rather than a generated name
Fixed S-class ships having incorrect pricing and numbers of slots
Added rockets to starting ship in creative default save game
Added new icon for solo difficulty AI ships
Fixed Albumen Pearl plants using the wrong name on their interaction labels
Fixed the landing marker being visible in some fighter cockpits
Fixed texturing issue seen with some combinations of AMD GPU and drivers
Added and improved audio at the ending of the Atlas path
Added and improved audio for terrain editing
Improved audio for missions
Improvement to vehicle boost timings
Made marker for rare graves stay up for the same time as other object markers
Prevented trees in frozen biomes spawning close to or intersecting buildings
Fixed issue where travelling through the centre of the galaxy could sometimes take you back to the same galaxy
Fixed issue where mission waypoints on the galactic map would not be for your current mission
Improved UI error messages relating to missions on the galactic map
Improved ship speed output on ship HUD
Increased guidance for finding Convergence Cubes as part of the scientist mission
Prevented some tutorials (for example for life support) from being shown in your log
Prevented Artemis being visible in the holohub after they should have left
Protected against some cases where missions can send you to depot which has already been destroyed
Improved binocular scanning for background objects
Prevented binocular scanning flicking between multiple objects
Added ability to scan all building types and fixed their displayed names
Added ability to scan ships Fixed text truncation on binocular HUD
Added the option to display temperatures in Celcius, Fahrenheit or Kelvin regardless of locale
Fixed display of longer planet names on the discovery page UI
Added ability to cancel in progress missions
Added faction icons on the galactic map
Improved ship handling when booster upgrades are installed
Fixed mission notifications showing an incorrect icon for Electron Vapour
Fixed an issue where portals you've returned through could not be updated to a different address
Improved visuals around icons for different inventories
Added joypad and keyboard controls for switching between inventories
Fixed galactic map showing joypad prompts for changing filters when playing on mouse and keyboard
Fixed issue where players could lose the teleport destination they needed to complete the Mind Arc mission
Fixed players getting stuck in an interaction with the armourer if they hadn't yet built a terminal
Fix for visual artifacts from transparent objects showing through the warp effect
Reduced cases where terrain editing changes are lost when reloading a save
Reduced difficulty of the final armourer mission
Improved low flight mode handling
Fixed crash in string translation when loading certain saves
Added missing scan event icon to the Antimatter tutorial
Fixed terrain editor being built with full charge
Fixed occasional hang in displaying some multi+ byte characters
Improved saving and loading of terrain edits
Fixed issue where upgrading from a previous save would cause player bases to be floating or underground
Fixed very occasional crash in rendering
Fixed occasional crash relating to destructable objects
Prevented the interaction camera occasionally triggering at inappropriate times
Fixed the Farmer displaying the wrong text for their final mission
Prevented pinned missions occasionally being deselected on warp
Fixed issue where players could become stuck in the final atlas station
Improved automatically selecting missions from - - NPCs in your base when they begin
Improved pricing of base building parts in normal mode

Acorn

Any reason to believe they'll be that different from the PC experimental version already out?

PC Version:
Fixed issue where player bases were given the name "Unknown Base" rather than a generated name
Fixed S-class ships having incorrect pricing and numbers of slots
Added rockets to starting ship in creative default save game
Added new icon for solo difficulty AI ships
Fixed Albumen Pearl plants using the wrong name on their interaction labels
Fixed the landing marker being visible in some fighter cockpits
Fixed texturing issue seen with some combinations of AMD GPU and drivers
Added and improved audio at the ending of the Atlas path
Added and improved audio for terrain editing
Improved audio for missions
Improvement to vehicle boost timings
Made marker for rare graves stay up for the same time as other object markers
Prevented trees in frozen biomes spawning close to or intersecting buildings
Fixed issue where travelling through the centre of the galaxy could sometimes take you back to the same galaxy
Fixed issue where mission waypoints on the galactic map would not be for your current mission
Improved UI error messages relating to missions on the galactic map
Improved ship speed output on ship HUD
Increased guidance for finding Convergence Cubes as part of the scientist mission
Prevented some tutorials (for example for life support) from being shown in your log
Prevented Artemis being visible in the holohub after they should have left
Protected against some cases where missions can send you to depot which has already been destroyed
Improved binocular scanning for background objects
Prevented binocular scanning flicking between multiple objects
Added ability to scan all building types and fixed their displayed names
Added ability to scan ships Fixed text truncation on binocular HUD
Added the option to display temperatures in Celcius, Fahrenheit or Kelvin regardless of locale
Fixed display of longer planet names on the discovery page UI
Added ability to cancel in progress missions
Added faction icons on the galactic map
Improved ship handling when booster upgrades are installed
Fixed mission notifications showing an incorrect icon for Electron Vapour
Fixed an issue where portals you've returned through could not be updated to a different address
Improved visuals around icons for different inventories
Added joypad and keyboard controls for switching between inventories
Fixed galactic map showing joypad prompts for changing filters when playing on mouse and keyboard
Fixed issue where players could lose the teleport destination they needed to complete the Mind Arc mission
Fixed players getting stuck in an interaction with the armourer if they hadn't yet built a terminal
Fix for visual artifacts from transparent objects showing through the warp effect
Reduced cases where terrain editing changes are lost when reloading a save
Reduced difficulty of the final armourer mission
Improved low flight mode handling
Fixed crash in string translation when loading certain saves
Added missing scan event icon to the Antimatter tutorial
Fixed terrain editor being built with full charge
Fixed occasional hang in displaying some multi+ byte characters
Improved saving and loading of terrain edits
Fixed issue where upgrading from a previous save would cause player bases to be floating or underground
Fixed very occasional crash in rendering
Fixed occasional crash relating to destructable objects
Prevented the interaction camera occasionally triggering at inappropriate times
Fixed the Farmer displaying the wrong text for their final mission
Prevented pinned missions occasionally being deselected on warp
Fixed issue where players could become stuck in the final atlas station
Improved automatically selecting missions from - - NPCs in your base when they begin
Improved pricing of base building parts in normal mode
Thanks, I suspect they will be the same.

daxy

I read on reddit that low flight got worse. Can't boost and control the ship smoothly anymore.

Is this true?

Hard to say as it's always been kind of shit. I didn't notice any significant difference myself.

What about scanning while flying on a planet. Does it still show stuff 30 min to van hour away and not things close by?

It sure does! You can also still get stuck on the Armorer questline and also discover duplicate blueprints.

Tip: if you did the final Armorer mission and it doesn't want to clear from your quest log, just spam through the dialog with the Armorer a good number of times and eventually the game will realize you finished it. Worked for me.

Top Bottom