• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky - Atlas Rises |OT| Nada, Polo and you no longer fly solo

The Ummah

Banned
Holy shit, they did it. I went to sleep early expecting news in the morning, and here we are. I only have about four hours in my initial play through, didn't do much at all. Wiping that and starting over. This is amazing.

So, with this latest update and the last two, does it make the game feel less grindy and farmy? In my time spent on launch I just found the game rather dull as I felt I was just roaming planet to planet trying to find the materials needed to upgrade. I never really got a ship on my own outside of the starting ship and one that I found, everything was just so expensive.

Hoping these updates fixed that so I wouldn't have to grind as much.

belvedere

Junior Butler
If you and another player just so happen to be on the same part of the same planet in the same galaxy at the same time.

Good luck.

And supposedly portals can be used as well. Too early to know how this works entirely, just yet.

Edit: Holy shit its already happened!

86crtvd9u3fz.jpg

https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/6t0wfe/first_player_met/

MattAces

If you and another player just so happen to be on the same part of the same planet in the same star system in the same galaxy at the same time.

Good luck.

There's something about portals but I haven't seen how they work as of yet.

There are planetary coordinates already in the game that you can use to find other players though.

Sounds like I will never see a single orb then!
Because watching the trailer with so many orbs floating around, I assumed there's like a meetup zone or your base is opened for that, something like Destiny where random drops in then I realize the infinite universe.

belvedere

Junior Butler
And before the tourists chime in on the limited MP.

Visualised by strange floating orbs, up to 16 players can see and communicate with one another, and explore the universe together.
While interaction with others is currently very limited, this is an important first step into the world of synchronous co-op in No Man’s Sky.
While interaction is very limited, VOIP (Voice over IP) allows proximity based voice chat with other nearby explorers.
Use portals to quickly travel to more populated planets, or to meet up with friends.

13ruce

Banned
If you and another player just so happen to be on the same part of the same planet in the same star system in the same galaxy at the same time.

Good luck.

Wow with billions of planets... Altho with portals that will become way easier if people leave behind coordinates.

Anyway to answer your question, didn't Sean once say the game can be completed entirely from space, without ever setting foot on a planet? Is that possible within the game? Even conceding that the player must get off their starting planet, can one make it to the center by trading and pirating in space only? I always thought that was a cool concept and would attempt such a playthrough if possible.

Going to be a long day waiting to get home to check this out, going to lean on GAF for some screens and updates!

It's still possible , but it's MUCH MUCH harder.
You can still trade in space stations so by doing this you will have way less money , so it'll be harder to upgrade anything , way less ressources.
While doable , the game does want you to land on planets because the gameplay loop is made for that. How are you going to survive space battle in order to get better NPCS and better standings with a race if you ship is very weak ?And the hunt for fuel for the hyperdrive , or the hyperdrive upgrades are going to be a total pain in the ass since you won't control what goes into trade in space stations. Your language learning will be MUCH slowed down as well

This route and way of playing is ONLY for the total masochists. There are no positives at all to not land on planets to explore them and get ressources

MattAces

Wow with billions of planets... Altho with portals that will become way easier if people leave behind coordinates.

Now I get it. The whole portal glyph combination sharing with community will probably link to the same planet. This is very exciting. But now I have to look for a portal.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Son of a mother farking biscuit......after i just got rid of this game not that long ago. Sigh...lol looks like i'm going to go get it again. This looks amazing!!!

kris.

Banned
Fuck, I'm glad I kept it installed on my computer. Guess I have something to do tonight. Kinda shocked at just how big this update is though I guess I shouldn't be considering they've been working on it for a while.

So something about the star gates: There are 16 glyphs and six slots. The text made it seem like you could use portals to get to any planet, but 16^6 only gives you around 16 million possibilities. Is my math wrong or are portals gonna be rare?

Depends on how the addressing system works. If it's like IPs, absolute, you're right. If it's a relative system, you'd have 17-ish million destinations for each origin point.

-NeoTB1-

Yep, it's time I gave this game another chance. I was waiting for the full details on this latest update. I'm sold. Gonna patch it up on my Pro this afternoon. I'll probably start fresh, and if I like what I'm seeing, maybe even restart my captain's log RP.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
A third really solid patch. Hello Games has really put a lot of work into making right on this game.

Top Bottom