• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky - Atlas Rises |OT| Nada, Polo and you no longer fly solo

noomi

So how can i get rid of that massively obtrusive banner that shows mission details/directions?

It literally covers 95% of my multi-tool.... constantly.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
game runs like hot garbage on my laptop even with everything turned down.

still fun tho, and still better than staring at the walls at work :3

My god, it happened

c21cd7136ee4e2a77c0fbf16db677862.png

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=224710083&postcount=7611

mokeyjoe

Survival or normal mode? Guide me GAF.

I say Survival. And I'm not speaking as someone who plays games on hard or likes survival games in general.

It will brutalise you at the beginning but force you to learn the mechanics (which actually matter in that mode). And it is much more rewarding.

If it's too much it's easy enough to drop down to normal. But you'll never forget your first hours spent cowering in crab infested caves sheltering from radioactive death storms. Builds character, lol.

G-Bus

Banned
So now that we can see other people in the form of blue orbs or what ever they're called. Do we have an easier way of meeting up with friends?

Me and a buddy are gona jump on here shortly and just curious. Gonna take a long time if it's a crapshoot of happenstance.

Question. For the Artemis quest, after you learn the three words (I was doing this in Creative mode), does the quest marker normally appear 480000 light years out?

So now that we can see other people in the form of blue orbs or what ever they're called. Do we have an easier way of meeting up with friends?

Me and a buddy are gona jump on here shortly and just curious. Gonna take a long time if it's a crapshoot of happenstance.
That's what portals are for :)

When does the base building start?

I feel like I hit that point already in my original save, but I'm already a couple warps and one atlas station in and no mention of base building or recruiting.

On a sidenote: I reclaimed a class A fighter which should be a nice upgrade once I finish unlocking the slots.

OuterLimits

Damn. On a planet with tons of fauna and my Pro is struggling. Fps dipping well under 30 and stuff popping in right in front of me.

c0Zm1c

Portals would help but activating them looks to be a pretty long-winded process. They're easy to find now at least.

When does the base building start?

I feel like I hit that point already in my original save, but I'm already a couple warps and one atlas station in and no mention of base building or recruiting.

On a sidenote: I reclaimed a class A fighter which should be a nice upgrade once I finish unlocking the slots.
Whenever you find an abandoned base... I heard starting a new game on normal difficulty starts you at a base now though, but I never checked myself. But if you're already into the game, you never really get led to base building (unless 1.3 added something). You will eventually just find one. It's a 'building type' a bit uncommon but most planets have quite a few.

DrBo42

Whenever you find an abandoned base... I heard starting a new game on normal difficulty starts you at a base now though, but I never checked myself. But if you're already into the game, you never really get led to base building (unless 1.3 added something). You will eventually just find one. It's a 'building type' a bit uncommon but most planets have quite a few.

Abandoned base is where you get nanites I think. Habitable base is the base building.

belvedere

Junior Butler
So I'm asked by the overseer to craft voltaic cells with cave marrow. I have the marrow bulbs but no voltaic cell blueprint. New save.

How's that supposed to work?

I want to ask before I double dip-Do you think I'd be able to run it?

GTX 760(2GB VRam)
8 Gig Ram
AMD Black Phenom II(4 core)
SSD
It's tough to give a good response to this as there seems to be some performance issues/bugs introduced with 1.3, that will most likely be sorted out through patches.

Based on your specs compared to mine, I'd say expect the game to frequently be in the 20fps range. I have:

GTX 660ti 2GB
AMD FX 8350
8GB RAM
SSD

Performance was around the same as a Standard PS4 before 1.3, except textures didn't look as good as the 2GB card means you have to limit texture quality to low/medium.

gpn

I bought the game at launch (limited edition for $60) and sunk over 100 hours into it by the time the first patch arrived, and I had a blast. I absolutely loved just cruising around, landing on cool looking planets, taking an embarrassingly large number of screenshots, and playing it to wind down from my work day.

There is a ton of projecting from the disappointed and angry people, and the people that actually enjoyed what vanilla NMS offered are painted as suckers who were duped by the devious Sean "Molyneux" Murray, and can't decide for themselves if they're having fun with their purchase or not.

This is my experience too. I guess I wasn't paying close attention to the interviews Sean was doing, as I pretty much received what I was expecting right from the beginning, a space mining game with a procedurally generated "universe". I had a lot of relaxing fun playing it after it first came out and put close to 100 hours into it.

I stopped last November when I got into Skyrim SE, but decided to pick it up again a few weeks ago to try out the 1.1 and 1.2 updates. There were so many new features though, so I had a hard time getting back into it. But now with 1.3, I decided to bite the bullet, delete my old game and start up fresh. I'm glad I did as I'm having a much easier time getting back into the swing of things with the new path to follow.

It seems like Normal Mode is a bit more difficult this time around. My starting planet was a scorcher with slightly aggressive drones, making it difficult to get the ship up and running, but I did. And then the next planet had constant toxic rainfall, ugh. Things haven't been so bad since then and I'm up to the part in the storyline where it wants me to warp a second time, but I'm taking some time to mine resources and make some money and trying to get suit upgrades.

One thing I've noticed is that it seems like there are either fewer "points of interest" on the planets, or they're harder to find as I don't find many of the question mark circle icons on any of the planets I've been to yet.

I'm playing on PS4 Pro and everything seems stable so far, but the frame-rate has taken a definite hit with this update, so hopefully some fine tuning will clear that up.

My one wish is that a VR mode gets added at some point.

Even though I had a hard time understanding the frustrations so many people felt when the game was released, I'm glad Hello Games has kept at it and looks to have finally hit a point where most people are satisfied with it, and those who aren't will probably never be satisfied.

So I'm asked by the overseer to craft voltaic cells with cave marrow. I have the marrow bulbs but no voltaic cell blueprint. New save.

How's that supposed to work?
IIRC you get the Voltaic Cell recipe from the Scientist quests.

I say IIRC also noting that I saw someone post today that the 'new Armorer final quest is cool' so I've no idea how they've changed and if the way you get the Voltaic Cell recipe changed =p That's how it worked in version 1.2 though. I think there were a couple times where Overseer and Scientist kinda overlap.

It's tough to give a good response to this as there seems to be some performance issues/bugs introduced with 1.3, that will most likely be sorted out through patches.

Based on your specs compared to mine, I'd say expect the game to frequently be in the 20fps range. I have:

GTX 660ti 2GB
AMD FX 8350
8GB RAM
SSD

Performance was around the same as a Standard PS4 before 1.3, except textures didn't look as good as the 2GB card means you have to limit texture quality to low/medium.

Hrmmmmm

Hrmmm

Well there's always the refund thingy

I'm stuck on the first rover quest. There are zero depots on my planet to destroy for the element required. Since you can't call it on other planets I'm unable to use the super scanner to force a spawn. Frustrated. This is normal for my base planet, btw... When I use my transmitter to look for basic stuff it spawns them on its moon. Not sure what to do.

The patch didn't fix the teleportation crash so I can't get to my base. Probably because I had a large base with the building limit disabled.

I'm on my 2nd playthrough and I put so much time and effort into building the current base and stocking my containers that I don't feel motivated to start another one.

mokeyjoe

So is the game glitched or do I have to do something to upgrade my cargo section of my exosuit

If you're picking up from an old save then yes, the game is glitched.

This is a well known and replicable bug so hopefully it's likely to get fixed quickly.

I'm stuck on the first rover quest. There are zero depots on my planet to destroy for the element required. Since you can't call it on other planets I'm unable to use the super scanner to force a spawn. Frustrated. This is normal for my base planet, btw... When I use my transmitter to look for basic stuff it spawns them on its moon. Not sure what to do.

You can build a roamer bay on any planet and summon it, I'm not sure if this helps with that quest though. If you're really stuck then you may need to relocate. It sounds like the planet isn't particularly great for POI.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

you do not start at a base in normal mode. I was just in the middle of nowhere next to my fucked up ship and some mushroom trees when I started.

McFadge

1.31 patch is out, but it didn't seem to fix the cargo slot upgrade bug. Not sure if there's a list of what they fixed, PS4 message is generic.

BSpot

I'm not sure if it's new to an update, or I just never noticed, but can someone give me a tutorial on what the heck the differences are (and how I'd bother using them) between Cargo, Technology and General slots.

Right now my ship and my suit both have both cargo and like, tech stuff like suit upgrades / ship weapons, etc, in General. Technology is empty. Cargo is empty. What's the difference? Why does it/should it matter?

mokeyjoe

After being a little harsh on the update yesterday, it's really starting to grow on me.

The story is sucking me in, and is way better paced than I would have expected. Even on survival it's zipping along nicely, and it's really adding to the feel of the universe. Amazing what adding some game to your game can do ;)

There are also other things I'm starting to appreciate now.

The fact you can stock up on thousands of plutonium and zinc at space stations takes so much of the grind out of things (especially in survival).

Ship combat is much, much better. And the inter-ship comms adds personality to the encounters. Also (again, great in survival) being able to pay off pirates can literally be a life saver. And I actually manage to outrun and escape from some pirates earlier - I'm pretty sure that was impossible before.

One of the more intriguing aspects is the ability to discover 'secondary elements' now. It definitely feels much more worthwhile scanning stuff now. Finding thamium in my home planet's plutonium was cool and useful, and picking up rare elements here and there may prove handy down the line.

This is the first update that's really added depth to the game, and not just more 'stuff', and it's really starting to feel much more complete and epic.

Still want a flora and fauna update, but that'll come I guess :)

mokeyjoe

I'm not sure if it's new to an update, or I just never noticed, but can someone give me a tutorial on what the heck the differences are (and how I'd bother using them) between Cargo, Technology and General slots.

Right now my ship and my suit both have both cargo and like, tech stuff like suit upgrades / ship weapons, etc, in General. Technology is empty. Cargo is empty. What's the difference? Why does it/should it matter?

Technology can not be used to store resources.

You can create larger stacks of resources in Cargo.

General is for anything.

Has anyone got a portal to work yet?

In the story, yes. Haven't had a chance to try it outside of that yet.

1.31 patch is out, but it didn't seem to fix the cargo slot upgrade bug. Not sure if there's a list of what they fixed, PS4 message is generic.

It's for bugs that cause crashes.

you do not start at a base in normal mode. I was just in the middle of nowhere next to my fucked up ship and some mushroom trees when I started.
After 1.3? I see. Someone said they did after the new patch... Maybe they thought they were in Normal but were actually in Creative, or misunderstood the base they started at was just random buildings at now a 'player base' :p

Either way, actually good it still works that way. First 1-2 hours of the game are still my fave because of how abandoned you were.

Rhaknar

After 1.3? I see. Someone said they did after the new patch... Maybe they thought they were in Normal but were actually in Creative, or misunderstood the base they started at was just random buildings at now a 'player base' :p

Either way, actually good it still works that way. First 1-2 hours of the game are still my fave because of how abandoned you were.

well I bought and started it the day 1.3 came out so /shrug

Top Bottom