• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky - Atlas Rises |OT| Nada, Polo and you no longer fly solo

edgefusion

Ok, I'm done with the quest system until they fix it. I have 5 of 6 side missions bugged to the point I can't complete them and the main Awakenings mission is in a kind of limbo where I can't tell if it's bugged or if it's just so unclear I don't know what I'm meant to be doing.

Anybody?

I'm stuck in Patterns in time, after completing 3/3 mercenary, Im tasked to talk with Mercenary guild representative. Waypoints leads to nothing.

Just saw this, that's where I'm stuck as well. Waypoints go nowhere.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Oh yeah know that Hawkian, sorry I meant that from a "what I would like to see added/improved" POV multiplayer is pretty low on the list as I never particularly wished for anything other than what we have now. Though as I say I wouldnt cry if they did add it.
Oooh yeah I thought you meant that was all you were looking for them them to still add.

For me, polish and QoL in the next one, tightening the whole thing up to the point where it's mostly self explanatory in the early to mid game where it really isn't right now, small longtime requests, and just making stuff smoother and more consistent.

Then a Flora/fauna focus with new assets types for each, tech to make finding the remaining fauna on a planet easier, increased interaction Interaction between species and one another, the ability to take a pet of any given species that comes with you planet to planet, seeds to regrow flora (any plant you like, to decorate) at your base/freighter, the ability to collect specimens for a menagerie at your base/freighter.

I think I fucked up. I started the weapons research mission involving killing sentinels in space, and in no way is my ship, nor me, up to that task. Actually getting hits in is really hard, and even when I do, damage is minimal. Their shots absolutely wreck me. Upgrading my ship requires nickel, and I have none of that. And even if I had nickel and could upgrade my ship, space combat seems hard and not something I want to. Now these fuckers are instantly scanning and attacking me while in space in any system it seems.

I'd roll back if I could, but I have no savegame before accepting the mission. Am I fucked?

LOL I did this too last night! I have some giant flying garbage compactor with broken weapons and had to run like hell. I'm currently parked in a freighter until I can trade someone my pos ship for a proper fighter xD

wwm0nkey

Is there any way to drop quests in this game, or am I stuck looking for the item I accidentally sold before I did this trade mission?

ys45

Wow they really need to fix the missions/quest, like real bad lol
So much people are having issues.

I'm not even getting a home base because of that, I don't want to screw up any of the quests you get from your crew.

MattAces

I'm not sure but I think it might be in the Space Station. One of the aliens there.

There's a waypoint in galactic map that leads to nothing and there's a mission icon on the system next to mine, went there, but mission icon gone and it says open galactic map to locate where you should be going.

Haven't played for a while. Do planets properly rotate in orbit within a solar system yet?
No and I wouldn't expect that to change. It would make the distances between planets far greater and more tedious to navigate around than it is now. It would also significantly reduce the amount of planets you see in the sky (reducing it down to just moons) which is a core tenet they we're going for. That is unless they orbited in a cluster which would make the whole thing redundant.

Handy Fake

The ๖ۜBronx;246330204 said:
No and I wouldn't expect that to change. It would make the distances between planets far greater and more tedious to navigate around than it is now. It would also significantly reduce the amount of planets you see in the sky (reducing it down to just moons) which is a core tenet they we're going for. That is unless they orbited in a cluster which would make the whole thing redundant.

The only thing thyey could really do with it is to put it in *slightly*. So there is some movement, but only enough to create the illusion of a less static system. I can totally understand where they're coming from not wanting to put in a fully rotational system map, it would really mess with a great deal of players.

The only thing thyey could really do with it is to put it in *slightly*. So there is some movement, but only enough to create the illusion of a less static system.
True, but at what point would that just be for the sake of it with no real benefit to the game. They would have to move around some fixed point, and that would only make sense to be the star. Otherwise you wouldn't even notice the movement, in the same way that when it's just you and a freighter in space it's hard to tell if it's moving toward you or you moving toward it.

The only thing I could see potentially making an impact would be planetary rotation but even then if I'm going to a space station and back I'm not sure I'd prefer having to fly further on the return.

I get the sentiments of wanting those things, I just don't see them affecting gameplay in a meaningful way for the time consumed, especially relative to other areas of focus.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i desperately need a new ship or just more inventory space in general. i still have no idea what i'm really doing. i think i'm following the atlas path but apart from my mining tool everything is what i started with. i'm almost at 1m units though which i guess is nothing since everything seems to cost millions.

the game is fun but just feels so overwhelming.

akileese

I could've sworn there was a thing about how they play tested planetary rotation in orbit and it was not received well. People were confused and frustrated because they could never find anything.

ParityBit

i desperately need a new ship or just more inventory space in general. i still have no idea what i'm really doing. i think i'm following the atlas path but apart from my mining tool everything is what i started with. i'm almost at 1m units though which i guess is nothing since everything seems to cost millions.

the game is fun but just feels so overwhelming.

I feel the same way. I picked up a new tool which has some stuff on it that I am not sure what it does. I am afraid to remove stuff from my ship because it came with it and I have no idea if I need blueprints to put it back.

Plus my ship which I found has broken spots which are really expensive to fix. I am almost at the point where I have enough money to fix the first ..... I know the price goes up as I fix it so I have no idea how I am going to do it.

Handy Fake

The ๖ۜBronx;246330490 said:
True, but at what point would that just be for the sake of it with no real benefit to the game. They would have to move around some fixed point, and that would only make sense to be the star. Otherwise you wouldn't even notice the movement, in the same way that when it's just you and a freighter in space it's hard to tell if it's moving toward you or you moving toward it.

The only thing I could see potentially making an impact would be planetary rotation but even then if I'm going to a space station and back I'm not sure I'd prefer having to fly further on the return.

I get the sentiments of wanting those things, I just don't see them affecting gameplay in a meaningful way for the time consumed, especially relative to other areas of focus.

Oh I totally agree, aye. It would be a purely aesthetic thing, nothing more. But yeah, the more you think about it, the more you realise that it was the best decision.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Not got that far yet Edgefusion & Mattaces so no help, sorry.
Me neither, nowhere close even really...

I ought to do some progression of the story stuff just so I can know more about what people are referencing :p

I'm surprised 1.32 hasn't been pushed to main yet.
The ๖ۜBronx said:
Yeah... while I can understand the desire for stationary-perspective planet rotation since this will have a nice visual component (whether or not it's worth the calculation tradeoff and potential small/confusing gameplay impact), true simulated orbital revolutions are pretty unlikely to ever be implemented in my opinion. The way planets hang large in the sky on a regular basis is definitely part of the general aesthetic of the game, and the fact that you can count on them "really" being the distance they appear is more valuable in gameplay terms than the simulatory nature of true orbits.

Even at the speeds you can travel with pulse jumping, the distance from one planet to another on the "other side" of a star would be incredibly annoying, so this change would require systemic workaround as well (not impossible of course, since there are mods that i.e. make your pulse jumps 10x faster) but it's worth bearing in mind that keeping track of those orbital positions at all times, since you can just leave a planet and head in any direction on a whim, carries a processing cost. Everything implemented as part of the "base game" before modding needs to be evaluated in terms of a tradeoff... visual/simulatory benefit, performance, gameplay value.

Good to see that costs for basically everything are still way, way, way, way too high. :/ Bummer... id like to play normal but who the hell has the time to grind that much for a damn freighter or S ship?

TheMan

Good to see that costs for basically everything are still way, way, way, way too high. :/ Bummer... id like to play normal but who the hell has the time to grind that much for a damn freighter or S ship?

Yeah, getting a freighter seems like a monumental task for someone with a full time job

Apeboy

This.

Any inclination I had to return to NMS vanished when I remembered how much ships cost.

bosseye

I know, this puts me off somewhat. I'd love a freighter but its taken me a few hours to scrape together around a million; cheapest freighter I've seen to far is 80,000,000.

Apparently once you build a base and get farming you can pull in maybe a million an hour buy creating the right stuff, but its hours away to get a base for me, plus that would still be 80 hours just to get a freighter......

I'm fine with long term goals, but at the moment they don't feel achievable for those of us only able to put a few hours a week into the game.

TheMan

Find a ship with huge inventory > Ugly as sin
Find a cool looking ship > No inventory slots

The struggle.

Lol yes this is unfortunate. Artemis ship (not sure if different for everyone) is fugly as hell. It's like, do you want this full sized van or this 2 door sports car?

Yeah, getting a freighter seems like a monumental task for someone with a full time job

Exactly. I'm old and work your normal 9-5 40hr/week type job... the last thing i want is another full time job so i can have a nice ship in NMS.

This.

Any inclination I had to return to NMS vanished when I remembered how much ships cost.

This and all the reports of the quest bugs other glitches. They keep getting closer but christ it's taken a year.

I know, this puts me off somewhat. I'd love a freighter but its taken me a few hours to scrape together around a million; cheapest freighter I've seen to far is 80,000,000.

Apparently once you build a base and get farming you can pull in maybe a million an hour buy creating the right stuff, but its hours away to get a base for me, plus that would still be 80 hours just to get a freighter......

I'm fine with long term goals, but at the moment they don't feel achievable for those of us only able to put a few hours a week into the game.

Yeah there really is no excuse. Game's been out for a year they've had to have seen the data. It just makes no sense why they cost that damn much. Let the hard-core nerds have the ships easily but allow us "normal" players to spend a few hours and pick one up.

Yeah there really is no excuse. Game's been out for a year they've had to have seen the data. It just makes no sense why they cost that damn much. Let the hard-core nerds have the ships easily but allow us "normal" players to spend a few hours and pick one up.
Why would you expect to get some of the late-stage content in a game after 'a few hours' just because you work and don't have much time to put in? Couldn't you say the same for every game pretty much? "I wish I could just use all of the weapons in Splatoon 2 because I don't have the time to unlock them".

First time I've heard of there being "no excuse" to have long-term goals in a game.

Feeling some type of way about that fighter ship :O
ums3ewD.jpg

aihOJ03.jpg
Pirate feeling the same XD

Lamptramp

No and I wouldn't expect that to change. It would make the distances between planets far greater and more tedious to navigate around than it is now. [snip...].

Yeah... while I can understand the desire for stationary-perspective planet rotation since this will have a nice visual component (whether or not it's worth the calculation tradeoff and potential small/confusing gameplay impact), true simulated orbital revolutions are pretty unlikely to ever be implemented in my opinion. [snip...]

Yeah I concur, I also think that since the game is already pretty bare bones when it comes to way points and targeting adding moving bodies to the mix would increase the tedium aside from finding out you had to travel way past the sun for 20 minutes to get to the only habitable planet. Would they need to add a system map as well maybe, not to mention changing how you currently need to focus on a planet to scan what is on it.

Vexidus

This is my perfect podcast/talk radio game. I have a huge backlog of stuff I want to listen to, such as years worth of Coast to Coast AM episodes. It's nice to jump in, chill out and listen while exploring, mining, finding new tech, working on quests, getting drop pods, etc.

I expect to keep coming back to this game in small bursts for a long time. Really happy with the updates, and I'm sure Hello Games are proud of themselves too.

I just spent a few hours on the new storyline and it has a surprisingly gripping narrative. And actual characters unlike Atlas Path (excluding Nada & Polo). Getting some big Stargate/Doctor Who vibes.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I think I'm the only one not bothered by the freighter price hike. It makes sense to me.
I actually don't have a problem with the highest priced freighters behind so high in price, it should be a prestige purchase...

But the barrier for entry shouldn't be so high. Freighters are awesome and getting the equivalent of a used VW Golf seems to require a BMW budget.

From what I've heard described, the cheapest freighter you can get now is about 7x more expensive than what I paid for mine, and it took about 90% of the funds I had on me.

There are more ways to make Units now than before 1.3 but I don't think the rate of accrual has increased substantially to the point that it justifies the CHEAPEST ones being so pricey.

Plus my freighter helps me make money, so it's like insult to injury...

1.32 dropped on PS4. No patch notes as of yet (or at least I haven't found them). Some people are saying the Mind Arc quest has been fixed.
The patch notes were available from the experimental branch, but yeah this isn't on their release log yet. Surprised it's live.
Fixed an issue that caused cargo slots not to unlock following purchase
Players who've unlocked all general exosuit slots can now unlock tech and cargo slots as intended
Fixed an issue that caused claiming a new base to stop NPC missions from working
Fixed an issue preventing players from being able to finish the farmer and exocraft missions
The Base terminus will now display mission objectives, allowing you to pick the correct system, and it will no longer forget mission critical systems. Note: this is currently a preventitive fix, a cure for those who've already experienced it will come soon
Fixed issue requiring creative mode players to complete mercenary missions
Fixed a rare issue causing players with multiple ships in a freighter to spawn on top of each other
Fixed an issue that caused custom waypoints to over ride the Atlas Path in the Galactic Map
Standing will now be correctly rewarded for guild missions
Players who recruited base NPCs prior to update 1.3 can now take missions from those NPCs as soon as they are at their terminals
Fixed an issue that allowed players to miss Atlas Stations and thus block their atlas path progress. This is currently a preventitive fix, a cure will follow.
Players will no longer be prevented from progressing when sent to an Atlas Station as part of the story
NPC base missions requiring you to destroy a depot should no longer send you to a destroyed depot
The power of the Analysis Visor upgrades has been significantly increased, resulting in much higher rewards when scanning with flora or fauna upgrades
Fixed an issue causing waypoint lines not to draw in the galactic map
Fixed some rare crashes

I also found a new ship but I don't think it could be worth to fix. It was a class c fighter with more slots than the starter ship but mostly of them were broken. Is there any way to fix the ship before having to transfer your items to it? What will happen to my starter ship if I decide to fix the other one?

Posting again for the new page

The ๖ۜBronx;246331852 said:
Why would you expect to get some of the late-stage content in a game after 'a few hours' just because you work and don't have much time to put in? Couldn't you say the same for every game pretty much? "I wish I could just use all of the weapons in Splatoon 2 because I don't have the time to unlock them".

First time I've heard of there being "no excuse" to have long-term goals in a game.

I'm referring to farming time. Few hours of farming/selling/trading. I've put in over 40 hours of OG and dont have anywhere near 300 million units lol.

Yeah I concur, I also think that since the game is already pretty bare bones when it comes to way points and targeting adding moving bodies to the mix would increase the tedium aside from finding out you had to travel way past the sun for 20 minutes to get to the only habitable planet. Would they need to add a system map as well maybe, not to mention changing how you currently need to focus on a planet to scan what is on it.

They could probably make it work with tight orbits, faster pulse travel, planet targeting and auto-pilot. Seems like something they would leave to last if they bother at all.

I'm referring to farming time. Few hours of farming/selling/trading. I've put in over 40 hours of OG and dont have anywhere 300 million units lol.
I've put a lot more hours into games without accessing some of the late stage content, that said they could probably take a dip in price while still being a prestige item so there's definitely room for flexibility. I mainly had an issue with the thought that you could get to buying one within a few hours, so apologies there I misread.

Top Bottom