• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT| Hello Worlds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaLe

The no hud option in settings doesnt require a restart, pain in the arse having to on in and turn it on and off for a screenshot, but you can

Ah thanks. My only issue is that alt-tabbing is broken in this game...

On another note, where do I go to find multi-tool upgrades ? I'm about 16 hours in the game and I still have 5 slots...

Megasoum

Banned
is there no ship pylon or landing pad near by?
it calls for your ship and lands it there for you and costs a bypass chip iirc.

Go back to your own ship .. it's always better to go back the way you came rather than to go in to the unknow like that for a reward that might be worse

Well I'm still looking for my 13th stupid fucking species that I've been searching all day so right now I'm walking in the general direction of the crashed ship to look for that dumb animal and I'm sure I'll eventuallly end up at an outpost with a pad so that I can recall my ship.

On another note, where do I go to find multi-tool upgrades ? I'm about 16 hours in the game and I still have 5 slots...

You have to replace it with a new multi tool, you can't upgrade it. Aliens will offer you new ones sometimes or you can find them in buildings on the wall.

Good places to Emeril farm? Need a ton for that theta upgrade.

Holy shit. That's both amazing and more than likely impossible.

I find Emeril most places, but especially on toxic or radioactive planets. I rarely hold onto the stuff because it's generally easy to acquire, unlike, say Chrysonite. Damn you platinum, quit getting my hopes up!

And I was pretty shocked when I saw that guy too. I couldn't even remember seeing winged land creatures in pre-release footage/trailers actually flying. Only one I saw there, but I didn't scour every inch of the place.

Poyunch

I actually found a way for it to work for me. If you alt-tab just launch it again on Steam and then click the NMS window that's already running and it opens back up. ymmv

cheststrongwell

my cake, fuck off
I was running around a super toxic planet collecting balls and my ship decided to float away. I chased after it for a bit, but it finally left the planet. Took me an hour to find a base to call it back. It was actually kind of fun. Broke up the grind.

CaLe

You have to replace it with a new multi tool, you can't upgrade it. Aliens will offer you new ones sometimes or you can find them in buildings on the wall.

It works if you change it to borderless (at least on my machine).
It's still a shame that fullscreen alt-tab breaks a game in 2016, but there is a workaround.

Thanks guys, will try that.

I must have been *very* unlucky in regards to getting new multi tools... I just warped to a new system after having spent about 15 hours in the starting one. There goes hopping I find new stuff !

I actually found a way for it to work for me. If you alt-tab just launch it again on Steam and then click the NMS window that's already running and it opens back up for me.

Oh cool ! Good to know ! Will definitely try that. :)

My Altas path is all discovered by two different players. Makes for 0 funds from discoveries.

Backuplight and Lobolegio. Whoever you are. I secretly hate you.
The systems on my path were already discovered, but he didn't land on any planets. Too bad for him. I found many interesting planets in those systems, some of my favorite so far.

Kinda pissed right now. Apparently there is a bug that some people are running into where new blueprints found show up as "already learned" even though you don't actually have them. I have this bug. I've found a few upgrade blueprints that I really need but I can't craft them.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Nothing makes me saltier than doing colonial outpost grinding

I feel like I get only 10% of the questions right lol

0racle

One question before bed,

The Atlas vs straight for the core options, can I do both in one play through? What should I do first? Does one affect the other?

Dineren

Banned
After spending all day yesterday on dead planets constantly draining my hazard suit it's so relaxing to end up on a green planet with nice weather.

lt519

Ok, so quick three system check.

O6p - nothing special - planets with lots of fauna
O7pf - nothing special - planets with lots of fauna

Amount of fauna seems to be the key, not frequency. They all had 10 plus species.

O0pf - Extreme conditions and Vortex Cubes everywhere.

I guess the number 0-9 is related to conditions 0 being extreme heat and 9 being extreme cold. Sorry if this is all known. The fauna seems much more bizarre too.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Gonna give the "post-game" one more try tonight. Read some interesting stuff on Reddit about the System Classes having different rarities, more flora and fauna, etc. Want to see if it is true.

There are four types of systems

EDIT 2: Okay, so it looks like there could be more than four. /u/saffron3d linked a page with all the spectral classes that could potentially be in the game (take note that classes listed on that page are based on stars in our universe, not in the games). So far confirmed classes are G, K, E, B, M, F, O.
I want to keep a log and document as much as possible about all of them.
Ok, so quick three system check.

O6p - nothing special - planets with lots of fauna
O7pf - nothing special - planets with lots of fauna

Amount of fauna seems to be the key, not frequency. They all had 10 plus species.

O0pf - Extreme conditions and Vortex Cubes everywhere.

I guess the number 0-9 is related to conditions 0 being extreme heat and 9 being extreme cold. Sorry if this is all known.
Don't be sorry. It isn't.

Toki767

The last planet I landed on...all the creatures move around by bouncing up and down...

I5cssBC.gif

One question before bed,

The Atlas vs straight for the core options, can I do both in one play through? What should I do first? Does one affect the other?
Atlas is for reading fun flavor text. It has Zero impact. Core does. Minor.

Atlas first I guess as it's fast and you can do both.

They usually don't require language... unless the questions change due to language?

Language is only required if you activate a monolith trial or if you talk to a NPC.

Other than that it's not that important unless you're breaking an outpost door :) << that one is important

OmegaDL50

I have found the perfect planet. fields of green grass with red trees as far as the eye can see and an Ocean of Blue water.

Vortex Cubes dotting the landscape, and an abundance of Aqua Spheres in the water. Also Sentinels are docile.

I am bookmarking this place and making it my home planet. When the Base building patch comes out, I know exactly where I will build my first base.

I have named the solar system Archimedes, after the famed Mathematician, and each of the 5 planets in the Archimedes System are named after notable mountains.

Olympus, Everest, Fuji, Matterhorn, and Vesuvius.

Ffs. I'm like 30 hours in grinding the Atlas quest. I'll be burnt out before starting the game.
If you just push shortcuts to the center over and over through black holes it'll take if you're unlucky about an entire day of warping to get to the core. An atlas pass will trivialize getting warp core fuel as it allows you to open debris containers that always have warp fuel mats

Went to my first red star. Maybe I just got lucky but after ten systems of barren planets and slightly less barren planets (they were still cool though) 2 of the planets here are really lush and both are unique. I'm starting to see bigger creatures as well. Really excited to see what the two better classes of star bring.

2AdEPT

So I have a marker for a crash ship.... It's 1h away

My current ship is one hour away too but in the other direction lol... Fuck

Well I'm still looking for my 13th stupid fucking species that I've been searching all day so right now I'm walking in the general direction of the crashed ship to look for that dumb animal and I'm sure I'll eventually end up at an outpost with a pad so that I can recall my ship.

Make sure to search the outposts (they could also be at shelters also ) for a small cylindrical object sticking out of the ground that also requires a bypass chip...they are more common than landing pads for sure and work just as well.

edit : here it is..also check out my awesome ship!!
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=745257203

Its really cool to get a ship for free, but if nothing works it will take a long time to upgrade all the parts...so I haven't tried it for that reason. BUt if it is damaged do you basically still need to start from scratch with each material or do you get partial materials for each damaged slot? Trying to assess as my smaller ship with 18 slots is small, but looks cool and has a warp drive already that appears to have difficult to find components. I also have over 1.5 million and am still in my original system, and haven't found a ship in that price range that has a warp drive in addition to the standard hyperspace so I haven't traded up for slots and will keep my little bug looking ship despite low slots...it is the VW beetle of ships.

My first and only serious complaint about the game so far is that at the space station I wanted to see different ships, but often 3 and as many as 4 at once flew in to the port and were the exact same ship with the exact same alien inside...it really was a waste of time to wait for another ship to see a different one, only to have the same ship dock, even before one two or there replicas hadn't left yet. Wonder if it just wasn't possible to "balance" the AI without doing it that way or if it was a bug or whatever. I recall Murray saying it was hard to get the organic set of maths to compute together without "weird" things happening. Does he have a feedback board set up for this type of stuff?

Definitely excited to get playing tonight and finish off this moon's animals list..cant imagine what I missed having had to climb to the highest peak and upgrade my range window to plus three even to have a chance to get these flying creatures to register...they basically just play around high in the sky and never come down....I tried blasting them with the tool and grenades but to no avail...finally the upgrades luckily caught one but it was at least 5 minutes of pressing "F" for "fucking find the flying animal!" It feels like I definitely have seen the same creatures over and over and over again and wondering if what I need is ultra rare, if they program at least one extra rare creature per planet etc. or whether it was just bad luck so far.

0racle

If you just push shortcuts to the center over and over through black holes it'll take if you're unlucky about an entire day of warping to get to the core. An atlas pass will trivialize getting warp core fuel as it allows you to open debris containers that always have warp fuel mats
Any gameplay enhances worth rushing to the core for? Or slow and steady?

Bliany

I have found the perfect planet. fields of green grass with red trees as far as the eye can see and an Ocean of Blue water.

Vortex Cubes dotting the landscape, and an abundance of Aqua Spheres in the water. Also Sentinels are docile.

I am bookmarking this place and making it my home planet. When the Base building patch comes out, I know exactly where I will build my first base.

I have named the solar system Archimedes, after the famed Mathematician, and each of the 5 planets in the Archimedes System are named after notable mountains.

Olympus, Everest, Fuji, Matterhorn, and Vesuvius.

Looks great. I found a similar one except all the grass was purple. By the way, is there an actually way to bookmark a planet?

OmegaDL50

Looks great. I found a similar one except all the grass was purple. By the way, is there an actually way to bookmark a planet?

You can Bookmark a System. Fly into Space and highlight the current system you are in add a waypoint.

It will add a tab to your selectable paths for Galactic Travel, Setting a way point means you are given a path to always come back to the specific system you marked with that way point.

Any gameplay enhances worth rushing to the core for? Or slow and steady?

Eh rushing to the core isn't worth it IMO. It's not as impactful as you'd think. I wont spoiler it as you can google it but is disappointing. This game clearly wants you to know the reward is just playing. Also the only thing I would rush is an atlas pass as it gives you access to suit upgrades, warp mats and generally those two things accelerate your pace of travel and income quite a bit. Maybe a crashed ship for slots.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
This game is absolutely gorgeous:

vh6V4z8.jpg
I love this. It's so weird that a black night sky is the exception- makes it all the more appreciable when you find one.
You can Bookmark a System. Fly into Space and highlight the current system you are in add a waypoint.

It will add a tab to your selectable paths for Galactic Travel, Setting a way point means you are given a path to always come back to the specific system you marked with that way point.
Unfortunately, your current system is the only one you cannot set a waypoint on. But remember its relative location when you jump and you can set it immediately after reaching the new system.

edit: Or use the discoveries search

Bliany

Tinúviel;213780867 said:
This dude don't know if he's a chicken or a big ass dino.I don't know that too.

This is what evolution deniers picture when they hear that birds are direct descendants of dinosaurs haha.

oakenhild

Tinúviel;213780867 said:
This dude don't know if he's a chicken or a big ass dino.I don't know that too.

nms2016-08-1518-41-259cksc.png

LOL, this game is so good.

I'm now on a fairly barren planet, but it has shelters, outposts, ruins, and drop pods everywhere. Lots of plutonium too, so I can just hop around and get unlimited blueprints.

I just found the best place to farm so far. It's nothing, but Sac Venom and there is even a trade depot so I don't have to leave the planet. I'm making about million every ten minutes. I'm going to stay here for a while and farm away!

I just found the best place to farm so far. It's nothing, but Sac Venom and there is even a trade depot so I don't have to leave the planet. I'm making about million every ten minutes. I'm going to stay here for a while and farm away!

Hm. Last place I was farming pearls. Then I moved on to this place where there are Vortex cubes everywhere.

OmegaDL50

Oh...Oh man. I need money. Glad I'm on my new home planet.

I was just on an expedition looting as many Vortex Cubes and Aqua Spheres I could find since my current world is filled with them and has docile Sentinels.

Soon as I cash in my rewards, this guy just shows up on the landing pad.

ZClg7Op.png

I need only another 17 Million....yeesh!

man this is such a dream. if I ever find a place like this I won't be afraid to hold up for a long while

imagine how much those freighters might cost when they're released &#128549;

Soon as I cash in my rewards, this guy just shows up on the landing pad.

ZClg7Op.png

I need only another 17 Million....yeesh!

Haha. Same shit happened to me the other day. I bought a 31-slot, 6 million unit ship, then some other guy in the same model ship shows up with 46 slots, but at a cost of 50 million units.

Just started playing. The constant drone attacks are already making me hate the game.

Stop doing that shit right in front of them. :p

You gotta be smooth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom