• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT| Hello Worlds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hasney

I did something really stupid last night. I accepted a new crashed ship without taking into account the planet I was on. The next two hours was the most survival this survival game's ever gotten for me. All for one extra slot :/

But hey, think of all the extra carbon you can now carry. A whole slots worth!

I just found a terminal where there was a recipe for the life support tau upgrade but it said I already knew it even though the recipe isn't in my inventory 😩

On the plus side in the same building I got the recipe for the dynamic resonator

Madchad

As it stands i am currently "stuck" on a Extreme moon with High Sentinel which means they only need to see me to get pissed off. The Titanium is keeping my suit boosted though so its all good.

On the plus side i am simply outpacing the sentinels while looting 15 glowing orb things at a time and selling them at 300k each time i hit an outpost with a vendor. Great money.

Aceofspades

Banned
I'm I the only one who feels uneasy when traveling in space? I just discovered this fear while playing this game...oh, and don't ask me how I felt before entering a black hole! It was terrifying :/

Ferr986

Ugh, my ship got "stuck" on takeoff in a floating copper mass that I'd partially mined. Slowly chewed through the shield, and then then health before ejecting me. I couldn't get it unstuck no matter what I did. Now it's partially embedded in the top, though I'd destroyed all the copper I can see. But I need to repair it, and I can't find any damned Zinc :/

Found one of the ship retrieval beacons, but it doesn't work if the ship isn't repaired :/

That's what happened to me too lol

The people having save issues, are you suspending your game when you go to use Netflix or put the PS4 into rest mode or something?

No, I never suspend my games, always close them even when I put my PS4 on rest mode. For what I did test it's an issue when you reload a last save.

Venom Fox

Banned
It is now very clear that the (marketing) team from NMS had exaggerate greatly and unfortunately lying. It's disappointing and a bit infuriating that NMS had been such a financial success with this shady strategy and that the game is a failure in every other aspect.
You do know that there are world's like the trailer on the game? That twittter post was just a joke.

275850_20160816124437s0u79.png

Razgreez

You do know that there are world's like the trailer on the game? That twittter post was just a joke.

If my understanding is correct, and it likely isn't, it (the game) uses a universal algorithm for choosing how to combine parts for ships, flora, fauna etc. It just seems to be more miss than hit at the moment and can often be hilarious. But when it does come off it does so beautifully.

Either way I'm having fun just messing around at the moment. I do think there's space in this world for a more realistic type of no man's sky as well though. Not serious like most space sims but with more realistic physics etc. Movement, survivability etc. can still be chalked off to "amazing exosuit tech" but there should be gas giants and planets with gravitational variation even if they don't rotate or orbit

Baby steps but I really do like where we're going

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
One in five times, warping crashes the game. This is not an exaggeration. I just had three random crashes in a row. PS4 version. :(

Edit: four times in a row.

Edit: now crashing on load.

noomi

So I found a planet with GIGANTIC Emeril boulders all over the place, I mean they are EVERYWHERE.

I guess I should stay around here and mine as much of it as I can...

It is now very clear that the (marketing) team from NMS had exaggerate greatly and unfortunately lying. It's disappointing and a bit infuriating that NMS had been such a financial success with this shady strategy and that the game is a failure in every other aspect.
With this logic the initial God of War 3 reveal has gameplay that is greatly exaggerated and they were lying.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
On the plus side, getting a nice sampling of the soundtrack.

How were they lying? And how is it a failure?

People with this game I swear to god

Spoo

Looking forward to getting back into this game when the new patch hits. Got all the achievements, but feeling a lack of motivation to continue since, without using one of the many exploits for money / ship collecting, it'd be quite the grind. Hopefully the new patch adds something to spice up the world.

Razgreez

I have noticed the game crashes when i've got my 48 slot inventory stacked up with resources and mods. Before i hit 48 (and began heavy trading) i did not experience a single crash. Perhaps it's memory related.

To test this i sold off all my resources and kept what i needed in the ship. Ran around, accessed a bunch of terminals, talked to NPCs etc. and not a single crash. Then i went around a planet and stocked myself to the brim with resources. Saved and boom - crash. Loaded, went to a terminal and attempted to sell and boom - crash. Reloaded - crash. Eventually managed to offload through discarding and then selling and... no crashes while saving, terminal access etc.

E92 M3

Looking forward to getting back into this game when the new patch hits. Got all the achievements, but feeling a lack of motivation to continue since, without using one of the many exploits for money / ship collecting, it'd be quite the grind. Hopefully the new patch adds something to spice up the world.

One of the reasons I am not using any exploits is because I like the organic climb/grind. It's very relaxing to improve bit by bit everyday. Once I start min/maxing games, the fun is over - at least for single player.

Were you expecting every planet in the game to be a Garden of Eden utopia or Jurassic Park recreation? If so, you weren't paying any attention to the marketing. If not, then what are you complaining about? I've found lifeless planets, hilariously weird planets, and my own winter wonderland planet - heavily forested, snow everywhere, frickin' dragon-like worms flying in the sky (think Falcor!). It's exactly what was promised.

Osahi

Ah man, I have 1 species left to scan on the planet I'm on, and for the life of me I just can't locate it. I scanned the birds, there is no water to search in, so what do I miss?

I did scan two species with a red circle since I'm on 90%, but I get the message they belong to an allready discovered species.

KeRaSh

No. The end of the Atlas Path and getting to the center of the galaxy are completely separate things.

And for what will probably be your next question, they're not exclusive choices--you're able to finish the Atlas Path and then continue going to the center of the galaxy after that if you want, right where you left off.

Thanks. The second answer was actually what I wanted to know in the first place! I just wouldn't want to start all over again just to reach the center.

So I've been hitting Colonial Outposts for an hour today and still haven't gotten an AtlasPassV3. Am I doing anything wrong or is that shit just random? I also found a Warp Drive Theta upgrade and got the bug that said I already know the blueprint. Obviously I don't and can't see it in the crafting list...
Finally got a 24 slot mining tool that looks like shit and has shit upgrade. Not sure if I will upgrade that or just wait for another 24 slot one that looks better...

venomenon

With this logic the initial God of War 3 reveal has gameplay that is greatly exaggerated and they were lying.
With the logic some people are applying to NMS, any game that has somehow changed between pre-release info and the final product is a lie...

https://www.unseen64.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/sonic04b.jpg
Still mad about this. Dirty fucking liars.

Ah man, I have 1 species left to scan on the planet I'm on, and for the life of me I just can't locate it. I scanned the birds, there is no water to search in, so what do I miss?

I did scan two species with a red circle since I'm on 90%, but I get the message they belong to an allready discovered species.
I know that feeling :(
Kinda weird though. For me, it was 2 planets that I searched thoroughly for the last species and never found them. I'm pretty sure time of day influences what creatures can appear in which places but there must be other influences too. Maybe some only appear in extreme weather conditions?

Vindicator

Was running around myself a few days ago, in the end I was missing some spider-looking thing that looked nearly identical like one that was already scanned.

Osahi

Was running around myself a few days ago, in the end I was missing some spider-looking thing that looked nearly identical like one that was already scanned.

Yeah, it looks like the system is a bit off. I scanned two very similar birds and got two species unlocked. Then I found an animal that looked like nothing that I saw on the planet before, and it was considered part of an allready discovered species...

It sucks because if I find the last one I get 275k units, which would be welcome as I'm looking into getting a new ship soon

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Found another visually beautiful planet. Every time I think I've seen everything this game throws something new at me. This one is extreme cold and snowstorms but just incredible. I'll get some screenshots together later.

Pop in is really annoying only because it is hard to discover stuff when you are flying as it "appears" too late, even if you are going as slow as possible. Sometimes you can see the places (buildings) but pods and crashed ships are hard to see just by fly by.

So I've been hitting Colonial Outposts for an hour today and still haven't gotten an AtlasPassV3. Am I doing anything wrong or is that shit just random? I also found a Warp Drive Theta upgrade and got the bug that said I already know the blueprint. Obviously I don't and can't see it in the crafting list...
Finally got a 24 slot mining tool that looks like shit and has shit upgrade. Not sure if I will upgrade that or just wait for another 24 slot one that looks better...

It seems like you have to get V3 from Korvax Operations Centers only. On the Warp Drive upgrade issue, I've been seeing people with the bug say that they got it successfully from crashed ship sites, so you might try those.

Septimius

Thanks. The second answer was actually what I wanted to know in the first place! I just wouldn't want to start all over again just to reach the center.

It seems like you have to get V3 from Korvax Operations Centers only. On the Warp Drive upgrade issue, I've been seeing people with the bug say that they got it successfully from crashed ship sites, so you might try those.

I got a warp drive upgrade that didn't stick, but I got it later just by normal means, not by crashed site, so you should be able to get it if you come across it later. I know it sucks, but it'll work itself out!

KeRaSh

I'm on a Korvax planet and I've been to quite a few Korvax Op Centers. I'm guessing the schematic appears randomly. It's a planet full of those balls and frenzied sentinels so I'm making some good money while working towards the extreme condition trophy and getting the Pass.

noomi

Last night I hopped into my ship and was launched immediately above the planets atmosphere (this happens all the time).

I quickly noticed that the sun was rising over the planets horizon, and I decided to just wait and watch over the course of a few minutes.

It was magnificent, this game really has the potential to look ridiculously beautiful sometimes.

Took many screenshots ^_^

Should I put hyperdrive and pulse engine upgrades next to eachother? Do I get the bonus?

Yup!

-Here is a ship progression guide I put together since I just completed this process.

As of now it is still possible to dupe inventory items and make the necessary units that way, but this could be helpful for those who'd rather not dupe. This information I either gathered from personal experience or with the help of posters in this thread, so thank you. I assume there are already guides out there (maybe in this thread, but I missed them) in the ether already (reddit, etc) so if I'm missing something obvious or made some mistakes, let me know. The whole thing can be a bit daunting when you first start out and it is difficult to know when you should be saving or splurging your hard earned units.

Two important things to note, and why this guide might be helpful.

• The price of ships increase exponentially as one progresses through the game. You might be able to buy a 28-30 slot ship for 4-5 million but a 37 slot ship could cost 3x that. Rather than try and keep up with the ridiculously steep per-slot price jump, the guide below can save you a lot of time and money.
  • As you upgrade to warp reactors and better mining lasers/photon cannons, some of the ships you run into will match the "level" of your inventory and the price will increase accordingly. It might be better to hold off on upgrading anything above basic Sigma warp reactor until you've bought your Upgrade 2 ship as seen below.

As far as I know, one could theoretically skip to step 5 if they wanted to just grind out crashed ships. I prefered to save that part for the end when the ship prices became absurd. This process felt natural and gave me inventory space to complement my progress in the game overall.

1. Upgrade 1-Save up 1.5-3 million and buy your first ship. This will be a big step up from the starter ship (or pre-order ship), obviously, but I feel it is better to make one big purchase rather than buy several incremental upgrades. It will save you money in the long run to upgrade once. The goal here is to get a ship with low to mid 20s for slot spaces.
  2. Now, save your units! Unless you really need to buy a dynamic resonator for your hyperdrive or suspension fluid for warp fuel (you probably will), it is better to find resources or find good prices at vendors and buy low/sell high. It is ok to buy suit upgrades, but be aware a ship slot can hold double the resources of a suit slot (500 v 250).
  3. Upgrade 2- at around 5-12 million, buy your next ship. I know that is a wide range cost-wise but your mileage may vary for sellers depending on the hyperdrive and warp reactor(s) on the ships you're buying. That 5-12 million may seem daunting but it will be doable especially as you find more of the vortex cube/gravitino ball/aquasphere type planets which are great for farming.
  4. The goal here is to get in the early to mid 30s for slot space. If you can get a good bargain and get a ship with 37+ slots, all the better.
  5. The final step is to find crashed vessels and transfer ships. We saved this for last because fixing up all of the systems on just one crashed ship can be a huge drain on your resources. Instead, we're only going to be fixing the basic minimum on the new ship and switching it out immediately until we hit the desired 48 slot ship. That is why I don't recommend doing just one transfer at a time with a full fix at any point in your playthrough, although you could get away with doing several very early on in the game if you so choose. Once you start transferring ships in mid-late game however, it is better just to do them all at once until you hit 48. You can ping a bunch or all (10-20 if you're following the guide) of the ships you need at the same time using the strategy below. If you're playing it completely straight, you'll need to either locate transmission towers via bypass chips or just flying around the surface of planets and finding them visually.
Credit to Stoze.
Do you know about the bug/exploit with Gek transmission towers? You can re-enter the code there and just ping a shit load of ship crashes from a single transmission tower and just go from one ship to the other without stopping to trade up ships. It only works on a Gek system for whatever reason.
  • Now just swing by all each pinged ship one by one. It doesn't matter what the ship looks like, you won't own it for long anyway. Just make sure the ship you're switching to is a +1 slot increase when transferring, every once in awhile the crashed ship might actually be lower.
  • As you transfer over, break down any upgrades from the old ship and transfer over as many valuable resources as possible (rare elements like Omegon. Also Nickel, Aluminum, Gold or Emeril which will be needed to repair or build Warp Reactors). For now, KEEP THE NEW SHIP UPGRADES INTACT. The upgrades on your current ship could possibly have an impact on the upgrades you'll find on the new ship. [note: this needs further testing, but I'd recommend waiting to break down upgrades on the new ship until you've found another vessel to swap]
  • After the transfer is complete, you'll only need Iron (for carite sheets, you'll need 6 for each ship repair), Heridium and Platinum (you'll need some to fuel the launch as well) to fix your new ship just enough so it call fly (only the Launch Thruster and Pulse Engine). These are widely available on almost every planet, so if you run out you can quickly farm. Once the repairs are done, you'll be ready to fly; head to the next pinged ship. Rinse and repeat the last 3 bullet points until you hit 47 slots.
  • For the final 48th slot, now would be a good time to get picky and choose a ship you actually enjoy. I took another 40+ minutes to find one I liked but if you don't care what your ship looks like, just pick whatever.

The ship transferring step of the process took me around 2.5-3 hours for 13 ship swaps with another 40+ minutes for cosmetic/vanity purposes. Again, YMMV but that 2.5-3 hours is small in comparison to the grind of tens of millions of credits. My final result

Best of luck on your journey

Sarcasm

Anybody got any tricks for remembering where you have been? Especially if it is a lootable place with no save? Kind of annoying you need to create bypass chips for using the same scanner.

Crumpo

I have warped twice and not found any crashed ships on the six planets i've visited...are they usually highlighted under the "transmission" scanners?

Sorry, I try to keep up but this thread moves so fast!

daveo42

Banned
So I finally ran into
Polo and Nada last night. I think I chose poorly since all I got was blueprint for something I already had.
But at least I have an Atlas Pass now! I didn't realize how many of these doors are v3 tho...

I also hard crashed after 30mins, losing an almost complete planet and a ton of work. So much copper and titanium lost. I think for the emeril I need, I will need to go back to a yellow star system. This green one ain't cutting it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom