• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT| Hello Worlds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
I'm really I bought this pretty much blind....didn't really see vids prior to release, read no previews etc etc...So I've no idea what was in, what wasn't in, what they promised, didn't promise etc etc...I'm very happily enjoying it without anything clouding my judgement.
Almost every single person I know that went in blind for No Mans' Sky seems to be enjoying and having fun with the game. Good stuff.

bumclot

Is there a way to 'call' your spaceship to your location on PC?

I thought I had read you could do so at save spots, but I don't see how.

There are specific terminals that let you call your ship at the cost of a bypass chip, not every location has one, though.

See below!

Kaako

Felium Defensor

Yea, either find one of these:
maxresdefault.jpg

OR if you locate a trade post, you can use the landing pad terminal to call your ship. Both require 1 chip which you can easily craft.

You'll have to be at a location with a landing pad and/or one of those beacon thingy's (forget it's name) in order to call your ship to your current location.

bumclot

Ahh, thanks! I've seen those terminals, but I thought it would call down an NPC starship to trade with. Derp. Good to know about the trading outposts too.

Trouble

Banned
I think the biggest dissapointment for me so far is one of scale. I know this is ironic given how large the NMS universe is, but I am dissapointed that there are not large creatures and buildings, huge mountains, towering forests, all the things that would engender the sense of awe that they promised in their trailers. The only thing that has consistently wowed me have been times when I have seen other planets or moons hanging in the sky and known that I could fly to them.

I hear you. I was hoping for procedurally generated ruins to explore. The same handful of buildings being stamped all over every planet is probably the biggest disappointment for me personally.

That and all the crap floating in space. They should have done away with the pulse engine fuel requirements and made asteroid fields that you could explore and mine. Having floating asteroids everywhere is just a lame solution to a problem that doesn't need to exist.

vpance

So far the space battles feel more like a turret shooter than a dogfight, maybe because I find it easier to mostly sit still and recharge the shields when I need to. The maneuverability of my ship is still so crap in boost mode.

Muzicfreq

Banned
So far the space battles feel more like a turret shooter than a dogfight, maybe because I find it easier to mostly sit still and recharge the shields when I need to. The maneuverability of my ship is still so crap in boost mode.

Wait till you get like a squad of pirates going for yer booty
It's super fun

curb

Banned
Almost every single person I know that went in blind for No Mans' Sky seems to be enjoying and having fun with the game. Good stuff.

This game has ended up in the internet hate echochamber which is going to keep a lot of people from seeing its positives. It's really frustrating for me to see because while I do think there's flaws, it's not the steaming pile of garbage some people are making it out to be.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I found a planet yesterday that was 100% devoid of life, plants and really hot. It was literally all rock and a few crystals and it was the most bland thing imaginable.

I found a very similar one during one my streams. It had literally nothing on it. It made me think of Mars, minus the red coloring. It was kind of depressing. It actually might have been one of the moons on the planet. I can't remember which of my streams it is (I'm up to 8 parts, with each part being a minimum of an hour and 30 minutes (some of them are 3 hours and over), and I'm not going to hunt through all of that footage!

I mean you CAN play it that way if you can maintain your shields through fast inventory management. But there's also nothing saying you can't chase down your pursuers, avoid fire and keep hounding enemies so you're not just a sitting target. Having the Photonix Upgrade doesn't hurt either.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
It'll pass, as all things do, but damn if the frenzy isn't real right now.
It won't pass. It doesn't pass. It will take the vague form and cadence of a sinusoidal waveform, varying in intensity, amplitude with the news of the day.

But it will not stop. This is the way of things.
DAsBAET.jpg

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
well that was freaky.

ay, whichever mod is in charge of such things in this case, I was wondering if this thread could be left unlocked so that I could edit previous posts (and update them with new information) to be linked as guides?

Tubie

well that was freaky.

ay, whichever mod is in charge of such things in this case, I was wondering if this thread could be left unlocked so that I could edit previous posts (and update them with new information) to be linked as guides?

You might be better off just reposting your guides in the new thread.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
This post followed coincidently by NullPointer posting is too good.
I honestly don't know what to make of it
You might be better off just reposting your guides in the new thread.
yeah, I was hoping I could just make one posts with links to all of them, and then if the OP wanted to include that list, it would be way simpler and they'd stay updated. but I will save them I guess.

Muzicfreq

Banned
Tell me more about Gek TT infinite usage. Like I keep feeding it bypass chips and it'll keep finding stuff nonstop?

Inside the TT where you go to find a location marker for a crashed ship. You can use it an unlimited amount of times if you are in a gek star system. Will add TONS of crashed ship markers.

She is near perfection!

Remember to break down your previous ship upgrades and move all the mats over to the new one for easy fixing.

Get iron, heredium too.
Will do. I definitely forgot to do that last time.

Lately I've made it a point to have one full stack of Iron, Carbon, Zinc, Titanium, Heridium , and two stacks of Plutonium on me at all times. Different stacks on the ship for it's particular needs (Thamium9, etc.).

As I start to find new elements I do the same - keep one stack in the exo, and any additional stacks go to the ship for selling purposes.

Its helped keep things organize for crafting and selling resources.

JdFoX187

Banned
So did I somehow screw myself? Warped into my second system, but didn't realize -- at the time -- I had to blow the doors off manufacturing facilities and that sort of thing. So I haven't been able to find an antimatter recipe. Since I realized my mistake, I've hit probably 15-20 manufacturing facilities across three planets in that system and have picked up many recipes except the one I need. I've even gotten double recipes a few times. So do I have to somehow return to the first planet I landed on and find the manufacturing facility there? I'd hate to have to restart after probably 30-40 hours invested already.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Inside the TT where you go to find a location marker for a crashed ship. You can use it an unlimited amount of times if you are in a gek star system. Will add TONS of crashed ship markers.

She is near perfection!
Oh shi, I'm already maxed out at 48 on an explorer ship with almost the same exact layout/upgrades as yours lol but I might go find a better looking ship; maybe one of them cool fighter looking ones like I had previously. Good tip, thanks.

NickMitch

Got the THETA warp blueprint today, only 2hrs after i crafted the TAU...will blast away to the center asap before i begin to save up to a bigger ship...To invested in my 14 slot second ship.

Also if i choose "free exploration" in the galaxy map, i can go further than following the "to the center" path.
Longing for a new galaxy. The Euclid doesnt do it for me :)

GeeTeeCee

Every time I turn on my PS4 and play No Man's Sky, it turns out every planet I "discovered" in the previous play session was actually discovered by another player well before I got there, and as I'm following the Atlas path I expect this will continue to be the case for a long time.

I wish the online connection wasn't so rare that it essentially only connects in the first minute I start the game before ceasing to work again entirely.

Cth

RE: That reddit list..

The complaint about swarms of sentinels not reflecting what's currently in the game.. what response to you get at 5 stars like the video shows? I've only gotten it to 3 (although attacking the space station results in 5 and a swarm of spaceships)

Does it stay the same sentinels or do the AT-ST types come out a 5?

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
It won't pass. It doesn't pass. It will take the vague form and cadence of a sinusoidal waveform, varying in intensity, amplitude with the news of the day.

But it will not stop. This is the way of things.
DAsBAET.jpg

Thanks for all the tips on finding crashed ships.

Looks like I'll be visiting some terminals tonight.

Cheers.

I have nothing to add here, I just thought it was really amusing that Hawkian's post had a Doctor Manhattan panel, and your comment with that avatar was right after his. Just tickled me for some reason.

So last night I found my first distress signal in space. I went over to investigate and got a message that "hostile ships were approaching". How does my ship know they're hostile? Did they radio that they're going to slice me up like a Dravonian pig? The space stuff needs a LOT more character interaction to make it feel alive and personal.

But anyway, I took them on and barely won. I briefly celebrated my victory until my HUD said that Sentinel ships were approaching, and noticed I had a two-star wanted rating. WTF? I helped kill some pirates and this is the thanks I get? Do Sentinels activate if any ships get blown up, regardless? Unfortunately my shielding was down, and because of the terrible recharge UI I couldn't get them back up before the Sentinel ships vaporized me.

I love space dogfights. Ever since X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter, and the Wing Commander series, I've loved them and I've always been good at them. But dogfighting in NMS is not fun. Somehow they've made flying in space feel like spinning in a turret instead of chasing or being chased by other ships.

Quoting this for a new page because it got lost in the drama posts. Specifically, could someone answer when Sentinel ships engage? I was surprised that attacking pirates gave me a wanted level.

On an unrelated note, I found a large ruins structure last night, larger than I'd ever seen. It had a statue of an alien head, and a weird metal ball that could be rolled around. No idea if the ball had any gameplay purpose or just decoration. Anyone seen one like that?

You do realize that planet rotation is different than their orbit around their star? Regardless, Sean only said he reduced rotation rate, but in fact they don't seem to rotate at all anymore, and the day/night cycle is just simulated on the ground.

Quoting this for a new page because it got lost in the drama posts. Specifically, could someone answer when Sentinel ships engage? I was surprised that attacking pirates gave me a wanted level.

On an unrelated note, I found a large ruins structure last night, larger than I'd ever seen. It had a statue of an alien head, and a weird metal ball that could be rolled around. No idea if the ball had any gameplay purpose or just decoration. Anyone seen one like that?

That happened to me as well. I hit the merchant ships by mistake while attacking the pirates.

Hell the freighters were firing at me along with the pirates at a point.

Ungrateful snots.

KiraXD

She is near perfection!

i realized that out of the 10 crashed ships i scanned and found ... they were all almost identical. maybe 2 different looking ships... but they all had about the same inventory slots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom