• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT| Hello Worlds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

UCBooties

I dont think people realize really how bleak the universe really is based on our knowledge. I think the reality of it isnt meshing with peoples fantasies.

If the developer dialed back the realism I bet more people would be happy.

But literally life and these perfect biomes is rare as hell. I understand that. So when someone does come across some lush ass planet its supposed to be something special.

That would be a bit more compelling if there were more planets devoid of life. Every planet I've been too has had life, just not much in the way of variety, which is kind of the opposite of what you're suggesting.

I did the same thing today. I really can't invest into upgrades knowing that my ship isn't the best ship in the game. So i got myself into an endless loop of Transmission Tower hunting and got from 30 slots to 38!

Damn, now I know I can go up to 38! And it feels more rewarding than farming sacs for hours and waiting for the right one to show up at the space station and buy it. Quicker too.

Reading through this thread made me realize I'm am idiot. I haven't been breaking down my upgrades when I change ships or tools.

Once I bought a ship and even forgot to transfer my inventory. I realized immediately and had to reload the game.

That's OK. I bought a multitool upgrade and figured I could remove some of the included powerups and rebuild them in other slots before figuring out "I don't actually have those recipes yet." I just assumed buying a tool with them gave you access. So I ended up with a multitool that has a couple extra slots on my starter, but I destroyed the mining beam upgrades and have to find blueprints before I can replace them. Oh well, still has a plasma cannon.

I've been collecting suit upgrades like a madman because "Inventory Full" is annoying. Time to upgrade the old ship, I think. I'm still on my starter, and it's really starting to inhibit expansion.

muteki

It's become a personal quest onto itself to upgrade my ship via seeking out crashed ships. I went from 20 to 32 so far and want to see how far up I can get it.
I would be more into this if I could do it and keep moving. At least the suit upgrades encourage you to move to new systems. With the relative expense of warp upgrades I think I would struggle to keep moving if I changed my ship often.

Will see where things stand once I finish Atlas and what my situation/priorities are.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Yesterday, spent hours on one planet. Another Gravitino Ball and Aggressive Sentinel planet. Also was normally -30 C, with storms going down to -90 C.

At some point, I decided, I'm just going to venture off on foot, in search of a place that I can bypass chip in my ship. Took about an hour, but had a grand ole time, constantly on the run from Sentinels.

Now, I'm relatively filled up with 40+ inventory slots, a good multitool, and 2 solid jetpack boost add ons (Sprint/Melee/Jetpack FTW). I wasn't in terrible danger, besides the possibility of random game crashes.

But the mini-version of being stranded, looking for a way "out", was great. Had to go through 10 or so "?" sites, before finding one with a "lander" spot. That spot, just so happens, to be on a 150 foot tall plateau, where I just grenade blast a tunnel up it, coming out right next to the lander and "salvation."

Felt strange to fly back over my path, all inside of like 7 seconds of flying

Elandyll

Banned
Damn, that's an obscene amoutn of stuff. I really wish some of those things were in the game but hey, I can't say I'm not enjoying my time with it.
Problem is, actually a lot of the stuff they say isn't in game -is- (like desert planets), they just haven't seen it yet.

It's like an angry blob of a mob just pissing each other off at "something", spilling out some truths in the process but also clinging to every bit that goes their way, true or not, in order to achieve Mass Outrage asap and keep the flames going.

The guy who compiled that massive list, I'm not even sure he actually owns the game or would really be interested in playing it frankly.

Am glad the game is seemingly being very successful.. gives Hello Games some piles of money to fan themselves with that heat coming their way. ;)

Heck, some of the changes are documented on the day 1 patch (planet rotation), but that doesn't stop anyone comparing Sean Murray to Molyneux in spite of the game largely delivering the experience that was promised...

Wok

So the mod scene is starting to ramp up for those on PC, and there's already some very good ones. Here's what I'm using;

Fast Actions - No more holding down clicks or buttons for anything
Remove scanlines, CA, Vignetting
ShutUp - Remove voice warnings, can even choice between which ones you want to take out
Hi-Res Icons

The mod site is getting hammered and is super slow right now though.

Thank you. It is incredibly easy to install or uninstall mods. I will be using the same mods to try for a while.

platocplx

That would be a bit more compelling if there were more planets devoid of life. Every planet I've been too has had life, just not much in the way of variety, which is kind of the opposite of what you're suggesting.

im pretty sure ive had some without anything. So i do think they did make that a key part of the game.

Embearded

Damn, now I know I can go up to 38! And it feels more rewarding than farming sacs for hours and waiting for the right one to show up at the space station and buy it. Quicker too.

It is quicker but it gets boring fast and god damn when the new ship is identical or worse than mine i want to throw the controller on the wall.
But still its better than grinding for Atlas Pass V2...

pj

Banned
I think the most misleading thing is how ugly the game is compared to all the pre-release footage. They used grass and tree heavy planets to obscure how ugly and plain the geometry typically is.

Some of it comes down to luck with what planets you get, but I don't think even the lush planets look as good as anything they showed in the past two years.

Any tips for finding crashed ships?

I've upgraded the hell out of my exosuit, and its kindof silly how much I can store there as opposed to my 17 slot ship. If anything I think the game has this backwards, and it should be easier to find ship upgrades than exosuit ones, especially since you can teleport gear from your exo to your ship from any distance, and are only limited the other way around.

I tend to meander, and am in no rush, but just wondering what I'm looking for really. Can I spot them from flying over? Or do I need to find something to 'activate' them as a waypoint? Is it completely random?

I got my first million units last night, but I'm hesitant about blowing it all if I can work my way up with crashed vessels.

I would be more into this if I could do it and keep moving. At least the suit upgrades encourage you to move to new systems. With the relative expense of warp upgrades I think I would struggle to keep moving if I changed my ship often.

Will see where things stand once I finish Atlas and what my situation/priorities are.

Made that mistake too. At a certain point most crashed ships have atleast warp drive and sigma. I am personally holding off the Atlas or the Center quest for this and other personal objectives. When I hit as high as I can go (48 apparently - thanks jrh2), I'll install the other warp drive upgrades. For now, jumping one system at a time is bearable.

It is quicker but it gets boring fast and god damn when the new ship is identical or worse than mine i want to throw the controller on the wall.
But still its better than grinding for Atlas Pass V2...

Ran into that twice and it sucks. Best I did was finding on with two more slots, but I'll take it if it has 1 slot upgrade, warp signma, and decent mining spec.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony

Something I'd like to see implemented is using the path of atlas and yellow star routes to the center of a galaxy to reinforce the idea that the sentinels are protecting life from exploitation.

Have most yellow star systems be truly dead, and lacking entirely in certain elements, and make carbon hard to get so survival is scarier. But usually with zero sentinel presence. Meanwhile almost all life bearing worlds around red, green, and blue stars, locked behind drive upgrades and increasing tiers of sentinel protection. With some blue stars exclusively hosting some rare materials for theta or omega upgrades and tech.

Elandyll

Banned

I've upgraded the hell out of my exosuit, and its kindof silly how much I can store there as opposed to my 17 slot ship. If anything I think the game has this backwards, and it should be easier to find ship upgrades than exosuit ones, especially since you can teleport gear from your exo to your ship from any distance, and are only limited the other way around.

I tend to meander, and am in no rush, but just wondering what I'm looking for really. Can I spot them from flying over? Or do I need to find something to 'activate' them as a waypoint? Is it completely random?

I got my first million units last night, but I'm hesitant about blowing it all if I can work my way up with crashed vessels.
Only realized that very recently, but if you build yourself a hack chip (plutonium and iron), you can hack a communication beam at any outpost, and ask to intercept "Transmissions". These seem to often be from crashed ships.
It looks like in a Gek system you can repeat the process on a single station to discover multiple sites.

muteki

I have spotted them from flying around, but I believe the more reliable way is to find the scanners (i'm not sure the official name, the blocks with light columns you need a bypass chip to use) and choose the third option, transmissions I believe. This will take you to a station where you can scan for distress signals/crashes.

Use Signal Scanners on the planet (have to hack them with a Bypass Chip) and search for Transmissions. You're looking for Transmission Towers, which then point you to a downed ship. I haven't actually tried this myself, but that's what I've read.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

"transmission" on a signal scanner can point you to a transmission tower, which is receiving the signal from a crashed ship. You can use multiple bypass chips of the same scanner to find one

Cmagus

I found a planet yesterday that was 100% devoid of life, plants and really hot. It was literally all rock and a few crystals and it was the most bland thing imaginable.

Qwark

Have you tried hacking those laser beam beacons thing? I think I selected "transmission" and it put up a waypoint for a downed ship.

Sorry didn't think it would be a spoiler.
I mean I don't have any context to it and with the way this game is who knows if I'll even actually see it or not (if it's an event everyone sees please don't tell me) spoilers for this game are weird ):

You'll find more and faster ways to make money, and you'll regularly come across it, so don't fret about it.

I go "Articus <SomeName> AlNiTi" to say that it has Aluminium, Nickel and Titanium, for instance.

It's no spoiler.
Oh for sure there'll be faster ways, I'm starting to get upgrades that require Gravatino Balls so I'm hoping I come across a planet littered with some of the rarer items like I've been seeing people here get. Maybe if I can find that goddamn second moon!?!

Also that's a pretty great naming idea, I wish I'd thought of that first even though I also like the silliness of naming some planets phonetically after the resources they have.

275850_20160816124437s0u79.png
Ah yes, Puckered Butthole Planet. Set thrusters to maximum.

Mrfb17

Neo Member
Not sure if this has been asked but does anyone know what to do with Ruins that appear in a blank space on the sea bed? Had a few of them now. Swim down there and....nothing at all. Symbol still remains but nothing to interact with

On Demand

Banned
What's the most normal looking creature any of you have come across? I'll have to post a picture later, but on the ocean planet I'm currently exploring there is a straight up normal ass bird that hangs out in coastal areas.

Also, I've seen screens floating around of a pokedex-like layout with creatures that you've discovered. Is that from an earlier build or a menu option I haven't found yet?

Looks like No Man's Sky is the new Star Wars Battlefront for GAF. Expect to see a lot of hate threads for half a year.

Normally I'd just see it as the hype pendulum swinging the other way; the farther it moved toward the positive/euphoric end, the harder it was likely to swing back into negativity. However the self-congratulatory hate-fucking going on in a lot of those threads, particularly posts that are going fully mental under the guise of 'defending' consumers from what they perceive as video game snake oil, is a level of vitriol I've only seen pop up around here during the height of GG.

It'll pass, as all things do, but damn if the frenzy isn't real right now.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I do know there is some form of planet rotation, from taking photo's on a barren planet. Found a vista where the rising sun was creating eclipse-like features with the other planets. I was standing near a rock, and watched as one of the planets (and it's moon), slowly traveled "behind" the rock.

I haven't seen full on "desert" planets, but versions of what I'd consider it to be. Like, radiated red sand planets. I have actually seen small "plains" on planets that have a desert looking ground texture.

What's the most normal looking creature any of you have come across? I'll have to post a picture later, but on the ocean planet I'm currently exploring there is a straight up normal ass bird that hangs out in coastal areas.

I've seen a completely normal bird as well, as well as an Angler Fish.

Harsh, but fair. A lot of this can (and damn well better) be rectified with post-launch updates. There are some things that I don't know how they fix without basically doing a universe reset.

They have said that doing updates can potentially alter the universe as we know it. So planets could change biome.

Normally I'd just see it as the hype pendulum swinging the other way; the farther it moved toward the positive/euphoric end, the harder it was likely to swing back into negativity. However the self-congratulatory hate-fucking going on in a lot of those threads, particularly posts that are going fully mental under the guise of 'defending' consumers from what they perceive as video game snake oil, is a level of vitriol I've only seen pop up around here during the height of GG.

It'll pass, as all things do, but damn if the frenzy isn't real right now.

It's pretty gross. I can understand if people felt jilted or deceived, I really do, I personally give Murray and HG the benefit of the doubt but I can understand why others would not. But the, like you said, self-congratulatory vitriol being sprayed in those wankfest threads is pretty pathetic. Really shows a lot of true colours for some of the posters on here, I've lost a bit of respect for some people on this forum.

Despera

Banned
Holy shit this game can look amazing in 4K.

So I remember someone saying that meat eating creatures didn't attack anything but the player.

Well, I was just playing around in a field with small ferret looking creatures that were all over the place, when I stumbled upon this nasty looking six legged sabertooth thing. It was fast and one hit took out almost 30% of my health. I tried fighting back but I didn't know creatures in this game could do combos. I had a sliver of my health left when I ran for my life and jet packed up a rock that was overlooking the field. When I looked down from atop the rock I witnessed my first alien massacre. That thing ate all the little ferrets one after another.

Shit was sad to watch. Anyways, I think this is my favourite planet so far

somme

I realise this is a bit late but I have seen some space with no colour:

tumblr_obr7flc9Qd1vcevjdo8_1280.jpg

tumblr_obr7flc9Qd1vcevjdo6_1280.jpg

I think I remember Sean and the art director arguing about how much blackness there should be. There probably should be more, but they were going got sci-fi book cover, which they nailed.

I found a multitool a while ago and haven't seen another one like it:

tumblr_obuqjlTSfb1vcevjdo1_1280.png

Justified

Are there any mods to make you stealthy to the sentinels? I'd like to pick up these vortex cubes in peace instead of constantly being harassed by sentinels.

Just pick up Vortex cubes inside caves, sentinels dont come in there.

For pearls just park your ship as close as possible, once you grab it jump in your ship for cover

There is only one "crashed ship" per planet, right?

No, it can be multiple

besada

Banned

You can fly over them and if you're flying low they're pretty obvious. Sometimes an observatory or a beacon will find them for you.

Are there any mods to make you stealthy to the sentinels? I'd like to pick up these vortex cubes in peace instead of constantly being harassed by sentinels.

I just alert them and then run and pick up as many as I can as they are searching for me. I only fight if I want the mats they drop.

Putty

I'm really I bought this pretty much blind....didn't really see vids prior to release, read no previews etc etc...So I've no idea what was in, what wasn't in, what they promised, didn't promise etc etc...I'm very happily enjoying it without anything clouding my judgement.

looking at alot of these hater crowds around this game seems to stem from a lack of multiplayer.. as far as we can see.

We havent had stable servers since launch to really test if it is true that you can in fact meet eachother.

Also it's funny in a way and sad to see that if an indie dev doesn't follow through 100% to what they said they end up with the internet with pitchforks and torches

Yet a "AAA" game dev doesn't go through with everything it's more like just some loud shouting.... unless there's graphics misrepresentation then people grab their pitchforks and torches again.

/sigh
Also alot of the people that are part of the internet hate crowd seems to might be from the viewers of the Livestreamers... kinda scary they can be when someone talks bad about their "hero" And if their streamer doesn't like something they become sheep following them into their dislike.

-_- but that's enough of my thoughts on the matter of the internet hate squad.

Still working on upgrading my ship's warp drives and then onto weapon systems. Shields are all online though thankfully.

It's hard to really test out the multiplayer stuff when the first interaction someone had was super unreliable. It's also pretty dumb for any side to be crazy upset about this. The story took off and never looked back. Now you see these videos and people on the forum losing their minds over a game they never played, and were never going to play. Likewise, you have people losing their minds because people don't like the game.

It's bad on both sides. Sometimes the gaming community is so hostile that I wonder if some of these people are just looking for a reason to be angry.

A big reason why No Man's Sky is being scrutinized more so than any other game is mostly the fault of all the hype that surrounded the game pre-launch. It was really bad. I love this game, but people inflated it to a point that it became something that it wasn't. Sony & Hello Games did a pretty poor job at showing off the game early on, which is why we had a bunch of people asking, "What do you do in No Man's Sky?" It wasn't until months leading to the launch that those questions started to be answered - kinda.

It's awesome that we're so invested in our hobby, but at some point enough is enough, right? When a game is getting you so upset because someone doesn't feel the way you do, I think it's time to step back and re-evaluate your priorities.

I'm going to continue to enjoy the game at my own pace, and I expect most of us in this thread will do the same.

As for playing the game, I'm taking a break at the moment. I was spending too much time with it, so I needed to step away and play something a bit more social. I'm gonna spend some time with BF4, Division & Destiny this week. Titanfall is happening this weekend, so I'll probably play a bit of that, too.

Despera

Banned
Just pick up Vortex cubes inside caves, sentinels dont come in there.

For pearls just park your ship as close as possible, once you grab it jump in your ship for cover

No, it can be multiple
Or just punch+jet pack away. No sentinels can match your speed that way, and you don't need to move that far for them to lose you.

They have said that doing updates can potentially alter the universe as we know it. So planets could change biome.

The idea that you currently can go a single kilometer in any direction on any given planet and basically experience the entirety of what that planet has to offer just completely kills the exploration factor in a lot of ways.

KorrZ

Being on a moon and looking out over the horizon at this gigantic planet before you...man. Such an awe struck moment last night when I saw that.

This is the first game where I've really thought "I wish I was seeing this in VR"

UCBooties

Harsh, but fair. A lot of this can (and damn well better) be rectified with post-launch updates. There are some things that I don't know how they fix without basically doing a universe reset.

I don't know. Reading the whole thing there is a pretty compelling case that a whole host of complex and interlocking systems were stripped from the game. I don't know how much of that framework we can expect to be restored in future updates. I would certainly like it if the game a year from now more closely resembled the one they were showing prior to launch but at this point I think the safest assumption is that what we have is, by and large, what we are going to get.

I still like the game, if I wasn't at work I'd be playing it right now, but it is hard not to be dissapointed when looking at a list that comprehensive of things that were promised, implied, or shown that did not end up in the final game.

I think the biggest dissapointment for me so far is one of scale. I know this is ironic given how large the NMS universe is, but I am dissapointed that there are not large creatures and buildings, huge mountains, towering forests, all the things that would engender the sense of awe that they promised in their trailers. The only thing that has consistently wowed me have been times when I have seen other planets or moons hanging in the sky and known that I could fly to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom