• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT| Hello Worlds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quoting this for a new page because it got lost in the drama posts. Specifically, could someone answer when Sentinel ships engage? I was surprised that attacking pirates gave me a wanted level.

You probably accidentally hit one of the freighters while you were fighting the pirates. Attacking freighters will bring the sentinels down on you.

vpance

I mean you CAN play it that way if you can maintain your shields through fast inventory management. But there's also nothing saying you can't chase down your pursuers, avoid fire and keep hounding enemies so you're not just a sitting target. Having the Photonix Upgrade doesn't hurt either.

First few battles I tried that and failed. I think I was getting hit no matter where I was flying since it's always like 5 on so I figured fck this I'll just tank it and shoot them in the ass as they fly by and turn around.

AGoodODST

Holy shit just had the tenses 30 mins with the game yet.

Landed on a toxic planet with emeril crystals all over the place. Ventured into a cave to see if there were more down there and found an underground lake with the cave continuing on underwater. And so began a half hour of frantically trying to find my way out while scavanging materials to craft and keep fueled that underwater breathing tech. Whew. No emeril though. Plenty of aquashpheres though!

Also look at this fucker.

imagedzsur.jpeg

Why does that plant have eyes? o_O

It was an animal lol.

Thats some realistic super mario looking shit

Holy shit.

Holy shit just had the tenses 30 mins with the game yet.

Landed on a toxic planet with emeril crystals all over the place. Ventured into a cave to see if there were more down there and found an underground lake with the cave continuing on underwater. And so began a half hour of frantically trying to find my way out while scavanging materials to craft and keep fueled that underwater breathing tech. Whew. No emeril though. Plenty of aquashpheres though!

Thats some realistic super mario looking shit

image.php

pots555

Anyone else have many crashes after a while? I had maybe one crash last week (around 12 hours). Now, I had 8 crashes since yesterday (around 5 hours). I just left the game because I had a crash going in overdrive. I had to restart and then, crashed before I could see the No Man's Sky title screen (and this happens often).

Sure hope they are aware of the problem and are working on a fix. I enjoy playing the game but not if I loose some progress because of so many crashes.

That happened to me as well. I hit the merchant ships by mistake while attacking the pirates.

Hell the freighters were firing at me along with the pirates at a point.

You probably accidentally hit one of the freighters while you were fighting the pirates. Attacking freighters will bring the sentinels down on you.

Yeah, I guess that's what it was. They probably need to add a flag in the code that if you start helping a ship, you're an ally and friendly fire should be ignored. Some dialogue would help too. It feels impersonal right now, but that might be related to them taking the faction stuff out of the game.

Can I just say, this thread has been a nice warm blanket for me ever since release. I'm on a hiatus from the game until the next patch hopefully fixes the crashes, but I still come here often and find people marveling at the game and having a good time. We all have gripes, but we're all (mostly) still so damn jolly about it and I appreciate that, especially when every other NMS thread is a legit horror show.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Can I just say, this thread has been a nice warm blanket for me ever since release. I'm on a hiatus from the game until the next patch hopefully fixes the crashes, but I still come here often and find people marveling at the game and having a good time. We all have gripes, but we're all (mostly) still so damn jolly about it and I appreciate that, especially when every other NMS thread is a legit horror show.
Right on. This is one of the few NMS threads tolerable on GAF atm. People actually playing the game and sharing their experiences/discoveries definitely has everything to do with it though. ;)

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Quoting this for a new page because it got lost in the drama posts. Specifically, could someone answer when Sentinel ships engage? I was surprised that attacking pirates gave me a wanted level.

On an unrelated note, I found a large ruins structure last night, larger than I'd ever seen. It had a statue of an alien head, and a weird metal ball that could be rolled around. No idea if the ball had any gameplay purpose or just decoration. Anyone seen one like that?

You do realize that planet rotation is different than their orbit around their star? Regardless, Sean only said he reduced rotation rate, but in fact they don't seem to rotate at all anymore, and the day/night cycle is just simulated on the ground.

Yeah, I've seen the giant rolling ball. I don't think it has a gameplay purpose. I kicked it around a bit. lol.

Right on. This is one of the few NMS threads tolerable on GAF atm. People actually playing the game and sharing their experiences/discoveries definitely has everything to do with it though. ;)

There are times where I really appreciate the "OT Vacuum" where we can just enjoy the bloody game. The hate this game is getting is nearly unprecedented.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I haven't actually been having any PC issues, and I didn't update my Nvidia drivers, but I'm going to try the experimental branch they pushed to steam. I have just been trying out the no-CA or vignetting mod and want to see if it breaks that too.

venomenon

It was an animal lol.
This is awesome. Could this be one of a kind, as it doesn't really appear to be assembled from the standard parts you usually see?

Well said. It's a nice refuge from all the blind hatred...

Man, doing game PR can be such a bitch. So many people don't realize how many things get cut / changed during a game's development, yet you still have to talk up your games selling points to keep the hype train going.

BizzyBum

Okay, so Exosuit is 48 slots and I just acquired the AtlasPass v.3 so next on the list is to get a 48 slot ship.

I think I am going to do the downed ship grind rather than the Unit grind, but how much is a 48 slot ship when your inventory is clear?

https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyT...res_the_nms_we_were_sold_on_heres_a_big_list/

Edit: Minor text fixes for clarity in bold
:)

Someone beat me to compiling a list of features cut from the game. I've watched every video, read every interview since the game's announcement and even I forgot some of those things. It's a damning list and should be commented on by Hello Games.

Some of the things on this list are blatantly false, others are clear design optimizations here are my thoughts going through each section with some refutations, and some general comments

- Yes every planet has some amount of plutonium, zinc or titanium, and platinum, but this is probably just because they don't want anyone getting stranded on a planet with no plutonium from which they can never take off. Also there are some extremely rare elements which I've only found on one planet in my entire time playing (~30 hours). It's kind of like in Minecraft, anywhere you dig you're going to find Iron and dirt, but you might not necessarily find Diamonds or Redstone.

- You can totally blow up freighters and I've seen some big fleets of them all locked in combat with pirates. I was able to join either side, and fight. The space combat is pretty lacking admittedly, but this is totally feasible and LOOKS super cool even if it isn't that satisfying to play with my base ship.
- NPCS run on trade routes and you can follow one down all the way to the surface, admittedly it doesn't look like they can land anywhere, but does that really add anything? They're not getting out of their ship anyways, so having a concrete place to find them makes more sense anyways.

- I've seen desert planets, though mine was red
-Planets do rotate, and they explicitly said they toned it down, because people were getting disoriented.
- Flying between star systems manually sounds like a great way to kill myself out of boredom, though admittedly it would be cool to find random stuff floating out in space, I'd much rather they focus their effort on the core gameplay, which as is evident still has more higher priorities than this to address.

No comment, I agree ship customization and flight controls feel underbaked, I hope they address this in the future.

- You could technically play solely in space, I've found all the components I need to upgrade my ship from mining asteroids as well as valuable minerals depending on the system. You could totally walk around and talk to creatures/find everything you need from loot boxes. I wouldn't want to do it but it is technically possible, and pretty damn good if you find a planet that has lots of high valuable items to find.

- Crafting is guided by blueprints, but I know I for sure haven't found all the materials or recipes to construct. I've found TWO compound elements so far and found evidence of at least 4 more, so I think the crafting system is deeper than it appears at first glance. I'm guessing there's stuff hidden no one has seen yet (Atlas Pass V3/Portals anyone?)

I've seen animals eat animals, I've seen animals knocking down trees (not sure if this was a bug though), and I've seen low flying giant eels. These things are pretty rare though, so it's not surprising that people think it's not there. I've spent 30 hours playing and I've seen maybe 1 really large scale creature, and even that was the size of a modest dinosaur.

- There are rivers, I've seen them on a few ocean planets.
- I haven't seen any truly large structures except a giant piece of road that was stuck in the middle of a desert (still only 1 ruin location though), but I also wonder if these might exist around more exotic stars, I've only been to F Class systems so far. For example I saw a picture of a new type of large scale monolith I've never seen on Reddit just today.

Yeah sentinel combat seems to be something you have to opt into except on graviton/venom sac planets, I'm not that upset since the gunplay feels more like a gear check than actually skill based, but I can see why this would disappoint some people. Then again I haven't landed on any high security planets and actually tried to do anything with this.

- I already hate how noisy the system for waypoints is to the point I will never ever scan from my ship, please don't add giant beacons of light.
- Binoculars marking buildings seems to flakily work, very occassionally it will mark what I'm looking at with its actual purpose, but it seems to be very finicky.
- Radio chatter in space in alien languages would be a great addition, seems pretty easy to do too, hope this comes later.

curb

Banned
Man, doing game PR can be such a bitch. So many people don't realize how many things get cut / changed during a game's development, yet you still have to talk up your games selling points to keep the hype train going.

People haven't really gotten the fact that game dev is often about trying to hit a moving target. Things change. I do think though that Hello Games just speaking to that would have gone a long way.

Hahs

Almost every single person I know that went in blind for No Mans' Sky seems to be enjoying and having fun with the game. Good stuff.
So very true - did this with other games too.

When devs first come out of the closet with their "masterpiece" and it intrigues me - thats pretty much all I need to be invested. Everything else is the definition of hype...like - exactly how many ways ARE you going try to get me to buy your game....uh-oh here come all those ambitious claims and whatnot. That's why I ignore it.

That first humble/modest intro is all I need - I like to be thoroughly surprised with any media anyway - sneak-peaks and spoilers can fuck off in my book.

SGRU

Probably already answered...

Are upgrades cumulative? I'm tiding up my inventory and I wonder if I can get rid of some technologies...

People haven't really gotten the fact that game dev is often about trying to hit a moving target. Things change. I do think though that Hello Games just speaking to that would have gone a long way.

Not to mention their major marketing push before launch contains features that aren't in the game. The same videos that continue to advertise the game. They needed someone for PR and should've muzzled Sean Murray two years ago.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Probably already answered...

Are upgrades cumulative? I'm tiding up my inventory and I wonder if I can get rid of some technologies...
Yes, their effects stack and you can also get a bonus by grouping them together.

You can get rid of technologies to gain the inventory spot back if you need the inventory space, and recraft them later if you have the recipe. You get about half the required resources for dismantling.

Skeletron

- I already hate how noisy the system for waypoints is to the point I will never ever scan from my ship, please don't add giant beacons of light.
Yeah. Looking forward to when I can at least toggle HUD waypoints. I never scan from space anymore since my HUD just gets cluttered with icons pointing to off-planet locations.

curb

Banned
Yeah, their silence hasn't been helping things.

I'm sure doing staggered launch on two platforms with a large, crazy game like that is keeping them busy but surely, they must be aware of the backlash. I kinda feel like people have already made up their minds and once the dust settles, hopefully HG can start talking about and addressing certain things.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Man, that CrowbCat video is so goddamn scathing but also so goddamn truthful.

To a point far beyond just giving the developers the benefit of the doubt when it comes to development goals and feature sets changing

I tend to be pretty accepting that things change during development, but there is so much about this game that didn't live up to what we were sold, and finding the E3 planet files is the real stinger. I've yet to come across a world that is even half as interesting or lush as any of the demoed worlds. And I don't think that's just a shit luck of the draw, the variety is hardly all it's cracked up to be for what is randomly generated. Like many other open-world games, the mechanics or diversity of mechanics struggles to keep up with the open-world itself.

And that's before you get to the massive draw distance problems (on PS4, at least). Not even worth flying over areas at anything but the closest you can get with your ship or else points of interest just won't draw.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Game development is hard. I feel bad that a lot of developers are forced to pose for the camera so early in a game's life cycle.

Games change so, so much over the course of development. I've worked on games that had amazing design documents, but the realities of developing the game (and it wasn't always a "we can't do this afterall because of our talent or tech," but more of a "our time-tables/publisher/budget won't let us put all of that in the game." It's always a bummer when you see features implemented in the game in a rough state, and then the hard decision is made to axe it completely, because leaving a rough, poorly optimized and polished feature in the game would be worse than taking it out wholesale.

I'm not making excuses for Hello Games, I just understand that a ton of things change during development, and a lot of it is out of the control of the developer, and some of it is a mix of them being unable to implement it in a satisfactory way.

I've said it before, but I have always been under the impression that, if he could have, Sean Murray and Hello Games would have delayed No Man's Sky until 2017, if not longer. I think the team had every intention of including the things seen in early trailers, and talked about in interviews in the finished product. Unfortunately, business contracts don't always allow for that type of creative expression. It was one thing when Hello Games was working on this project in their own indie studio bubble. Once they signed whatever deal they signed with Sony, I imagine a great deal of that freedom was reduced. They were no longer able to take as much time as needed to implement every feature they wanted to implement.

I think the delay to August was a courtesy. It was a "get this thing done because we're trying to make money this summer" sort of courtesy. For better or worse, Hello Games had to ship the game no matter what. I believe they tried to create as complete a game as they could, with as many of the features that were functioning at, or close enough to 100% to not completely disappoint.

I bet a lot of the missing content will be added over time. That's unfortunate that it couldn't all be there day one. But it's also the reality of the industry. No one is more disappointed by the inner politics of game development than the developers themselves. There isn't one out there that doesn't want to release a game that they can be proud of, and that the intended audience loves. Most of us create the things we'd like to see/play/read, etc, etc, so when we fall short, for whatever reason, it sucks.

With all of that said, there's nothing wrong with expressing your disappointment. I think it's good to let the devs know, if anything so they learn from the experience if they can't rectify it.

Rudiano

Banned
Someone please help me on how to get the ending, I asked before and got no reply :-(
I have 10 atlus stones in my suit inventory, I got to the next atlus station and nothing happens

Baalzebup

How? You mean grouping as with the resources?

Placing upgrades next to related upgrades or the parent components, such as placing all the Phase Cannon upgrades in a way that they are all touching each other or the Phase Cannon itself.
Example picture stolen shamelessly from an earlier post:
Note the various colored borders of the different groups of components. That colored border indicates synergy bonuses from grouped up components.

Tubie

I was never too hyped for this game so I just ignored most of the PR or previews for it.

I guess I'm lucky I did that, this is definitely one of my favorite games to come out this gen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom