• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT| Hello Worlds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
For anyone wanting to see the existence of a woodland planet, I just found a hell of a one.

image_zpsu6ojehtc.jpeg

Planet Winterwood. Maybe one day you'll find it...

Wow.

Almost 8:30PM EST and Amazon still hasn't given me a shipping confirmation for my LE.

Considering this is something I ordered way back in March no less.

I hope they don't screw this up. I start a new job on Friday, which would have gave me partially Tuesday, and all day Wednesday and Thursday to enjoy this.

Ever since they started using their own courier for most of my orders and last two orders I'd made arriving almost 7PM.

I basically only use Prime for the 20% pre-order discount and the release day shipping. I would cancel my service if the rest of my family didn't use the FireTV for the streaming services.

I really hope I get my game tomorrow and not almost half way into Wednesday.

I'm having the same issue. I've talked with CS 3 times. The last guy was more knowledgeable. The first 2 said my LE wouldn't ship at all, but one of them upgraded it to 1 day shipping (even though I have Prime and release day shipping already). Today they said it would be here by tomorrow. They did finally charge me so.. we'll see.

I'm watching the first part of Sean's stream that I missed earlier, and in it he shows that (I'll put in spoilers because this is a game mechanic he hasn't talked about before)
you are shown where you previously died, and like Dark Souls you can go retrieve your stuff, but if you die trying to get there then that inventory disappears.

jmaine_ph

So if I'm playing online and I make discoveries is there anyway to upload them to the servers once I connect back online?

schaft0620

I'm watching the first part of Sean's stream that I missed earlier, and in it he shows that (I'll put in spoilers because this is a game mechanic he hasn't talked about before)
you are shown where you previously died, and like Dark Souls you can go retrieve your stuff, but if you die trying to get there then that inventory disappears.

On YouTube? or what Twitch account is that on?

So the developer basically said there is a ridiculous amount of planets, right? Exactly how many of these planets are full of life, dense and actually worth exploring? That's what I wonder. I can't possibly imagine that all those planets are just as detailed as the other. Right? Nobody here can't really know yet but I really wonder about that.

CaLe

Argh. Must resist from double dipping. I feel like I could play this on PC when my wife is watching TV, and play on the PS4 when she's interested in watching me play.

I need to find an excuse to get this on PS4 due to my inability to wait 3 days for my steam version to unlock.

So the developer basically said there is a ridiculous amount of planets, right? Exactly how many of these planets are full of life, dense and actually worth exploring? That's what I wonder. I can't possibly imagine that all those planets are just as detailed as the other. Right? Nobody here can't really know yet but I really wonder about that.

They are quite intentionally *not* all like that, as that'd get boring real quick.

wig

Almost 8:30PM EST and Amazon still hasn't given me a shipping confirmation for my LE.

Considering this is something I ordered way back in March no less.

I hope they don't screw this up. I start a new job on Friday, which would have gave me partially Tuesday, and all day Wednesday and Thursday to enjoy this.

Ever since they started using their own courier for most of my orders and last two orders I'd made arriving almost 7PM.

I basically only use Prime for the 20% pre-order discount and the release day shipping. I would cancel my service if the rest of my family didn't use the FireTV for the streaming services.

I really hope I get my game tomorrow and not almost half way into Wednesday.

I've had stuff ship from Amazon the same morning of the release date. I wouldn't worry too much about it. They are usually very good with release date shipping. If they do mess up, contact them and get a free month of prime!

Karak

They are not all that, nor are they all barren. What you have seen, from one severe aspect to another are the variables the games procedural generated content works within. We have seen a couple that are considered BARREN and they usually had at least minerals which of course would be realistic.

Karak

So if I'm playing online and I make discoveries is there anyway to upload them to the servers once I connect back online?

Your data gets uploaded and applied with successful connection to the servers.. IF someone was online and named an item that you also named the first come first serve rule applies and the online players choice of name sticks. Due to the size of the game this will happen rarely. .

Speely

Banned

That's a good question. I don't have a definitive answer, but I will guess that they would upload normally once connected to the servers, but if someone online already uploaded the discovery to Atlas (as unlikely as that will prolly be) then yours would be nullified.

Edit: Beaten to answer discovery by Karak. ^^

kevin1025

Banned

Unless I'm misreading, if you hit Options, and then go to individual lists of planets and hit View, you can upload each thing per discovery. I hope that's what you were asking!

Heel

Interesting little anecdote I wanted to share on Hello Games. Did you know if you 100% completed their port of Joe Danger on iOS, it gave you an email address to have your name put on the wall at their studio? Sean ended up sending out a little reply to everyone who managed, apparently. Dug up the old emails:

1/11/13

Subject: Woo!

Is this where we vent? Those last few levels were cruel and I'll likely never forgive you.

Pretty fun game, though. :)

Heel on NeoGAF

8/23/13

Hello
_____
!

First let me start by apologising for the *very* delayed reply to your mail. It was so lovely of you to sign up for our 100% Club (forever ago). I’ve been trying my best to write a personal reply to everyone, and that took a very long time.

Next, OMG! Congratulations on completing our game. You are part now of a very select club, your name achieving legendary status in the Hello Games studio :) Sorry about those last levels, by the way. You felt an amazing sense of achievement though, right? ;)

It means so much to us to hear that you finished it - just getting your email was kind of the main reason we created the club. I absolutely love to see real people playing what we made. You have no idea.

(links to various Joe Danger goodies)

We’re also really hard at work on whole new iOS game, which I’m looking forward to showing off properly in the next few weeks. Maybe you’ll play that too! (I hope you’ll want to play that too.)

Once again, thanks from the whole team here at Hello Games, we love you! Your name sits on a board in the Hello Games office, along with all other members of 100% Club. Whenever we need motivation, we just need to look at it. :)

Thanks again so much,
Sean

Very cool to reflect back to their humble beginnings and see Sean's genuine passion shining through, then and now. Congrats to Hello Games!

Con_Smith

Banned
Just being honest. If you haven't decided by now than don't get it. But life is far too fucking short to try to convince yourself to buy or not buy something.

Eh, just wanted to see if there was anything to hold me back really.

It will take over your life and you will lose your job and or significant other.

Would be great to hold me over till Tomorrow Children.

No Man Sky is all of those things.
Buy it.

and wow, first time I've seen anything like what Itchy//Tasty posted.

Purchase is just a tab away. I'm playing with fate now.

Might not play well in terms of shooting stuff, flying, etc.

Sucks, but as someone who had fun getting lost in the early days of Minecraft good exploration can negate jank for me.

They are quite intentionally *not* all like that, as that'd get boring real quick.

They are not all that, nor are they all barren. What you have seen, from one severe aspect to another are the variables the games procedural generated content works within. We have seen a couple that are considered BARREN and they usually had at least minerals which of course would be realistic.

Thanks guys. I am definitely going to be reading reviews and watching video reviews of it. Personally I really want to know what I can expect to be doing here. Is it mostly exploring the planets, space combat against A.I., making photos of creatures, finding materials to upgrade things or are there also actual quests? will there be NPCs who ask a favor of you and so on. I have not followed this game as closely as many others so I am probably wondering about stuff that is already confirmed to be in or not in the game.

The reviews should tell me how long the game stays enjoyable. It's the one thing I have been wondering ever since they revealed NMS.

Karak

Thanks guys. I am definitely going to be reading reviews and watching video reviews of it. Personally I really want to know what I can expect to be doing here. Is it mostly exploring the planets, space combat against A.I., making photos of creatures, finding materials to upgrade things or are there also actual quests? will there be NPCs who ask a favor of you and so on. I have not followed this game as closely as many others so I am probably wondering about stuff that is already confirmed to be in or not in the game.

The reviews should tell me how long the game stays enjoyable. It's the one thing I have been wondering ever since they revealed NMS.

No problems

jmaine_ph

Your data gets uploaded and applied with successful connection to the servers.. IF someone was online and named an item that you also named the first come first serve rule applies and the online players choice of name sticks. Due to the size of the game this will happen rarely. .
Nice. This is definitely the answer I'm looking for. Thanks to all that answered.

As someone who loves sci Fi, adventure, and exploration games someone please tell me why I shouldn't buy this game.

Cause it's getting harder to convince myself I shouldn't buy this game.
That's an odd thought process. If you love those things, would you need convincing otherwise?

Mahonay

Banned
Went on bought my digital copy on PS4. Downloading now. Will probably try to play tonight if I can. We'll see how the lady feels about that...

Yeah I bit on digital

I know this game can't possibly live up to some people's dreams but I hope all of you find enjoyment and wonder in it

I know I'm just going to pour myself a drink, find the first interesting rock I can and spend an hour walking around

Chris_C

I've been holding strong for the PC version (I just got a 1070). But now I'm pretty sure I'm going to buckle and get the PS4 version.

I suppose I might double dip down the road, maybe next month.

U2NUMB

Ok PSN newb here I guess but this is the first game I have pre ordered on PSN.. is there a pre download?

I've been holding strong for the PC version (I just got a 1070). But now I'm pretty sure I'm going to buckle and get the PS4 version.

I suppose I might double dip down the road, maybe next month.

I was strong with my steam pre order until 5 min ago.. I officially double dipped. And I have zero time to sink into this game. Damn it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom