• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT2| Maths Effect

Did you do a planet scan and emeril show up on the list? I can't seem to find a planet with emeril or gold for that matter.

If you want Emeril, do I have a hellish nightmare world for you! Emeril as far as the eye can see, if you don't mind sulfurous fumes, Sentinels shouting "Exterminate! Exterminate!", and eight foot raptors wanting to tear your arms off.

I've only ever seen Emeril post-Foundation in caves. They aren't the glowy caves we're familiar with, but shallow depressions in the side of mountains lined with the shiny stuff.

OuterLimits

Did you do a planet scan and emeril show up on the list? I can't seem to find a planet with emeril or gold for that matter.

For the most part, Emeril is found in craters on planets near mountains, hills, and even in the ground near buildings. It is also found in traditional caves at times. The toxic planet I was on had the giant pillar of Emeril, the first I had seen since the update. I was just flying around and noticed it in the distance. Yes, Emeril was on the list when I scanned the toxic planet. Some planets tend to have much more than others though.

On planets that list Gold, I still tend to find it in pillars and above ground like before the update. Not sure if it is in caves as well.

Aluminum is similar to Emeril now and found the same way.

vix

Thanks both of you. I will definitely keep an eye out. Right now I'm mordite farming to get money for a max ship but I also want to make sure I have enough resources to rebuild all my tech after I dismantle it. The warp drives are a must and the theta of course needs emeril and gold at 1000 each.

AV7KWXo.jpg

5uX4FTn.jpg

9TwBi9q.jpg

Man I'm so intrigued by the aesthetic of this game. I still don't think the actual game looks as impressive as most of the pre-release stuff. They were probably just careful to only show off planets with with really eye popping, superbly blended color schemes that looked more "natural" in a way. But maybe not even that. It seems like there was just an art direction change at some point.

Still find what they got going here very impressive. I hope they continue to work on making the planets feel like real places. They need to overhaul caves for one. Underground caves, mountainside caves, whatever. There needs to be more variety with that aspect. Oceans of course need an update. I'd hope at some point they bring a more proper planet rotation allowing for a "real" day-night cycle with shadows that make sense. Along with that, making creature interactions with the ecosystem more in-depth and varied. It'd be cool if each animal had their own designated "homes" and sleeping spots. Oh, and make it so clouds aren't the same on each planet.

Don't know how they'd handle updating terrain generation though in regards to the fact that people have their base and stuff set up on planets already. They might not want to tamper too much with that kind of thing in the future.

jiiikoo

Banned
Man I'm so intrigued by the aesthetic of this game. I still don't think the actual game looks as impressive as most of the pre-release stuff. They were probably just careful to only show off planets with with really eye popping, superbly blended color schemes that looked more "natural" in a way. But maybe not even that. It seems like there was just an art direction change at some point.

Still find what they got going here very impressive. I hope they continue to work on making the planets feel like real places. They need to overhaul caves for one. Underground caves, mountainside caves, whatever. There needs to be more variety with that aspect. Oceans of course need an update. I'd hope at some point they bring a more proper planet rotation allowing for a "real" day-night cycle with shadows that make sense. Along with that, making creature interactions with the ecosystem more in-depth and varied. It'd be cool if each animal had their own designated "homes" and sleeping spots. Oh, and make it so clouds aren't the same on each planet.

Don't know how they'd handle updating terrain generation though in regards to the fact that people have their base and stuff set up on planets already. They might not want to tamper too much with that kind of thing in the future.

What I want most of all is the ability to fly my ship closer to the ground, maybe even just crash it in the planet. :/

Unicorn

This game is so funky now. Constant Screen tearing and the grass that is like flat dandelions sometimes flickers and artifacts like nuts, but only when it's red or green or white. When it's other colors it doesn't flicker. No other games are experiencing graphical glitching like that, so I feel I can rule out a dying video card.

Have you tried replacing him with another farmer? Find another Gek and ask them to be your farmer. Maybe that'll start that particular quest again?

So I finally found another farmer to replace the old one. Nope, the Albumen Pearl quest is still broken, no icon shows up for the ruins. :(

I scrapped my Mordite farm because that gets so boring after a while (that while being exactly one harvest). Now my farm is 8x of all the "lesser" recipes (only 6x on the Coryzagen cause I have about 3000 saved up already), plus 16x on the Gravitino Balls and Venom Sacs. The only thing I have zero of would be Albumen Pearls, because that recipe sucks. And then it turns out the upper floor of my farm had about 80 bays open, so the Mordite farm still lives (UGH). Lucrative though, plus much nicer to look at with all the bullshit confined to a space I only need to go to if I want to.

Here's a complaint about farming. Zinc, Thamium and Platinum all exist in the form of harvestable plants. Why can't I set them up in a farm? Antrium and Rigogen clearly come from plants; why can't I plant those? Carbon is constantly harvested from plants, yet none of the plants I can grow yield Carbon (although most require it to plant)? That makes no sense. I can grow a plant that yields animal shit (Coprite) or animal corpse material (Mordite), but Carbon is a bridge too far? Come on man.

On the plus side, I did find a planet that has basically nothing on it except Thamium. It's got a couple other resources, sure, but no plants, no animals; nothing. But Thamium is EVERYWHERE, in plant fields a minimum of 10+ at a time. I found one cluster that was 22 plants deep. I head there for 20 minutes and leave with 4,000 Thamium. Great stuff. Too bad I can't FARM THE FUCKING PLANT.

Don't know how they'd handle updating terrain generation though in regards to the fact that people have their base and stuff set up on planets already.
IDK how it works on PC but on PS4 there are predefined "bubbles" you're allowed to build in. They could play around with terrain variables a lot and it wouldn't really effect the bases at all as long as the base bubbles were left the same.

The base along the side of the cliff looks fantastic btw
Has anyone figured out how the base complexity levels and limits work on PS4?

I rebuilt my base (for the fourth time) last night and ran into "you've reached your limit" message for the first time. It's a bummer because my base really isn't that big, it's a 2 x 14 x 5 cube room building. But the base complexity doesn't seem to be based on a count of objects; deleting one window let me plant 4 hydroponics trays. But I don't know if I want to bother with trying to make a perfect base anymore if I can't tell when it's going to reach the limit. I still need a landing pad though.
All objects are not equal. Glass walls take up a lot of complexity, unfortunately. I had almost every room and hallway covered in glass before I notice my complexity was at 98% and I couldn't build my farms.

I'd recommend getting your basic design put into place, add of the essential stuff (farms, storage units, what have you) and adding decorations last.

It should pop up in the bottom right hand corner when you're in build mode.

Unfortunately the prompt won't show up until you're +90% complexity, so you can't check it until you're near the limit. I think one glass hallway takes up around 2% complexity, but I'd need to go back and check to make sure.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
They need to give us more creature animations. One of the things that makes it appear as if all the animals are the same is when they move. I'd also like to see 'flocking', even if it was just window dressing.

Seiniyta

They need to give us more creature animations. One of the things that makes it appear as if all the animals are the same is when they move. I'd also like to see 'flocking', even if it was just window dressing.

I agree, they improved terrain generation a lot in the last patch so I hope for the next one they focus on the animals. I'd like the various archetypes to have more unique animations as well and perhaps unique attacks as well. Like jumping spider/blobs or spitting creatures, ore regular charge. Or ambushers that wait underground until you get close.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I agree, they improved terrain generation a lot in the last patch so I hope for the next one they focus on the animals. I'd like the various archetypes to have more unique animations as well and perhaps unique attacks as well. Like jumping spider/blobs or spitting creatures, ore regular charge. Or ambushers that wait underground until you get close.

Throw in 'themes' and it would be glorious. Imagine a 'horror' theme algorithm that turns a planet dark with all manner of strange creatures and 'pitch black' cave systems. That light would come in useful for once. Give us a reason to go down there and Bob's yer Uncle. Perhaps 'theme' is the wrong word ... 'Mood'? Yeah, a mood algorithm.

Yeah speaking of the flashlight,

why?

I don't think I've ever once had to use it. If I did I probably didn't realize it was on? Is it helpful in any way?

I've landed on plenty of planets/moons where it was pitch black after sunset.

Really? I just coincidentally landed on a dark planet last night for the first time. I'd probably landed on 100+ worlds pre-Foundation and never seen one, but granted all of them were in yellow star systems. I mean it's so dark that I could barely see anything when flying above the surface, and on the ground I could barely make out creatures. Pretty cool...I just wish more planets had nights like that instead of nebulas lighting everything up. (even on this planet the sky was dimly green... just give me some dark space sky Sean Murray!!)

Anyway, yeah that was the first time I really felt like I had to turn the torch on. I've used it rarely in caves, but they are so lit up like a rave party that it's really unnecessary. I could just be, but I feel like they made it a bit stronger than it used to be pre-Foundation.

Throw in 'themes' and it would be glorious. Imagine a 'horror' theme algorithm that turns a planet dark with all manner of strange creatures and 'pitch black' cave systems. That light would come in useful for once. Give us a reason to go down there and Bob's yer Uncle. Perhaps 'theme' is the wrong word ... 'Mood'? Yeah, a mood algorithm.

That's a pretty awesome idea. Yes. Having some kind of "theme" for planets would be cool and could affect just about everything. There is a bit of theme for some of the planets but there should be more.

As an example, I found a basic planet generator that generated a planet that had a description of being a quartz-like planet with quartz crystalline lifeforms inhabiting it. With one of the page refreshes it also gave me a planet that has no life on its surface but has life living below ground in large caverns.

Even though I know ultimately that there is only so much variety they could do before starting to churn out copycat "themes" or "moods" for a planet, there is still all sorts of stuff they could do with this idea I'm sure. Right now, there isn't much of a "theme" for each system.

Also, has anyone seen the trailer for Boundless coming to the PS4 soon? Looks like a multiplayer Minecraft meets No Man's Sky sort of game. Might be of interest to some of you...

EDIT:

Also, Icyflamez96, that first image you posted was gorgeous and I am in awe and jealous as hell of your base. Sweet dwelling man...

https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyT...e_enter_for_a_chance_to_win_a_copy_of_no_mans

The mods of the No Man's Sky subreddit have been in contact with Hello Games and they are a) giving away three steam copies of the game and b) Hello Games have asked them to compile a list of the top community pet peeves about No Man's Sky. Probably a good opportunity to post our issues with the game and hope that they get forwarded onto the dev team. Can't hurt!

I assume it's okay to post this information and link to the subreddit post?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
The nickel quest still continues. It's on a number of the planets in this system too, I just wanted to prove to myself I could do this...

Oh well, giving up soon. I've become pretty attached to this system as the source of my freighter and making millions as a gold runner, so I'll probably end up doing a full planetary survey before leaving.

Here's a question. The quests/NPCs related to base building- can I do that stuff with just my freighter base? How do I start? Or do I need to actually build a base on a planet?

https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyT...e_enter_for_a_chance_to_win_a_copy_of_no_mans

The mods of the No Man's Sky subreddit have been in contact with Hello Games and they are a) giving away three steam copies of the game and b) Hello Games have asked them to compile a list of the top community pet peeves about No Man's Sky. Probably a good opportunity to post our issues with the game and hope that they get forwarded onto the dev team. Can't hurt!

I assume it's okay to post this information and link to the subreddit post?
Don't see why that would be a problem. Neat of them.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Its weird the Anistropic Filtering is still completely busted on PC with NVidia. Only way to get it to work is force an ovveride in control panel. Its like night and day difference.

It's odd to me that Hello would continue to embrace Reddit considering that it was the source of some of the shittiest behavior during the backlash, but it's good to see Hello being above that and reaching out for feedback. I wish senpai would notice GAF though

Here's a question. The quests/NPCs related to base building- can I do that stuff with just my freighter base? How do I start? Or do I need to actually build a base on a planet?

I believe you can do it all from your freighter, but the quests will point to planetary locations in that system. To start, you need to hire a Construction staff member, which afaik will always be Gek. You can find them in space stations in Gek and Korvax systems. You might need to build a Construction terminal in your freighter first though, can't remember.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Those are sweet shots. Im slowly getting back into the game with the new update. Been chipping away at survival. Looking forward to seeing the types of additions they add in new patches.

c0Zm1c

Sorry if this has been posted before but I have to start over if want to use the new features right?

You need to start a new game if you want to play Survival or Creative mode, since they are new and separate modes. Base building is available in all three - Survival, Creative and your existing Normal mode game.

2AdEPT

You need start a new game if you want to play Survival or Creative mode, since they are new and separate modes. Base building is available in all three - Survival, Creative and your existing Normal mode game.

thanks...didnt want to start over if i didnt have to. Will stick to normal mode. Haven't got out of my home quadrant yet (only two star systems) but have grinded a lot and got all animals a couple times etc....would suck to start over at this point.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
that is pretty damn great, never seen anything like it.
I believe you can do it all from your freighter, but the quests will point to planetary locations in that system. To start, you need to hire a Construction staff member, which afaik will always be Gek. You can find them in space stations in Gek and Korvax systems. You might need to build a Construction terminal in your freighter first though, can't remember.
Thank you for this!

I think what i'm going to do is waypoint this system. Jump to another (or two if necessary) to trade for some Nickel, then jump back and start building up my freighter and doing my planetary survey. I really want to finish off my quest without touching a planet first.
I hope for their sake that they don't, people here are more toxic to this game than reddit.
this is a sentiment that is very close to my heart

thanks...didnt want to start over if i didnt have to. Will stick to normal mode. Haven't got out of my home quadrant yet (only two star systems) but have grinded a lot and got all animals a couple times etc....would suck to start over at this point.

You can actually have saves in each mode active simultaneously. They don't affect one another, you just get three saves per mode. When you get into base building, I highly recommend going into Creative mode for a bit because you can mess around and learn how objects interact with each other prior to trying it in your actual game. I haven't bothered with Survival yet, but same deal; if it interests you, you can start a new game in it, and if you don't like it, your Normal mode game will be right where you left it.

I finally found Viridium on a planet. It commands the highest price of any element I've seen so far, about 75,600 credits per 250 units, slightly beating out Rubeum's 72k.

Also, I saw this crazy planetary ship battle posted over on reddit. Looks like a bug, but a bunch of ships were attacking some others at an outpost: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXiEC94soDo

Would be nice if more NPC vs. NPC events like that happened.

OuterLimits

I have noticed the descriptors about fauna and flora for planets tends to be much more accurate now. When it says "copious", or something similar, I tend to see animals everywhere. "Limited" or "Sparse" often means I can walk for minutes and not see animals. Good luck getting 100% completion on those planets.

One minor bug that I hope they fix is temperatures being backwards for day and night on some cold and hot planets. Not a huge deal, but it just irritates me for some reason.

Made the mistake of misjudging the threats on the current planet I'm on. I decided to hike to a ruin since I'm on Survival mode and it is only 8 minutes away from landing location. Unfortunately the animals aren't very pleasant, and my Tau shield has barely saved me from an attack near the ruins.

Hostile animals are mainly a nuisance on Normal, but can be quite deadly on Survival, even with some shield protection. Not looking forward to landing on a planet that has the hostile crabs everywhere.

Tigress

If I wanted to have a friend try out the game, is there any way to have a second save in the same game mode?

At least on the ps4 what you can do is either make a second account for him or her and then he/she'll have her own saved. Or you can save your game save to a usb stick and then just let them play and restore your game save once they are done.

MonsieurPaul

Neo Member
Your home base serves as a permanent hub with a teleporter which transports you to the few last space stations you teleported from (one of the doors on space stations now lead to a teleporter room).

Is there a way to choose the station where you want to teleport? The teleporter on my base offers me only the last space station where I came from (on PS4).

Shaneus

Is there a way to choose the station where you want to teleport? The teleporter on my base offers me only the last space station where I came from (on PS4).
You need to travel to your base from a few different space stations for there to be multiples appearing. I have about four, but I suspect I've only travelled home from about that many.

I see people mention up to 4 memorized locations but I've only ever been able to go to 3. I'm thinking it might be tied to the milestones/achievements maybe, but I've never really researched it. I've got all of them maxed out at 10 except for the scanner one, that one's at 3 right now, so I'm wondering if that's what's influencing the list. I've maxed out my ship, suit and multi-tool, completed the Atlas path, built a base and purchased a freighter, finished all specialist quests, but still don't have an Atlas Pass V2 or V3, so maybe that's got something to do with it, I don't know.

Shaneus

I see people mention up to 4 memorized locations but I've only ever been able to go to 3. I'm thinking it might be tied to the milestones/achievements maybe, but I've never really researched it. I've got all of them maxed out at 10 except for the scanner one, that one's at 3 right now, so I'm wondering if that's what's influencing the list. I've maxed out my ship, suit and multi-tool, completed the Atlas path, built a base and purchased a freighter, finished all specialist quests, but still don't have an Atlas Pass V2 or V3, so maybe that's got something to do with it, I don't know.
Is that scanner one the one involving scanning planet fauna? I've only completed that once, yet I can travel to four existing warp things.

I do have the v2/v3 Atlas Passes though, maybe that's it.

I'd strongly recommend warping and visiting the anomalies as much as possible. It looks like they give out the plans for those now, because one of my first visits post-patch resulted in a dupe v2 blueprint, and then a v3 (which I didn't have).

Is that scanner one the one involving scanning planet fauna? I've only completed that once, yet I can travel to four existing warp things.

I do have the v2/v3 Atlas Passes though, maybe that's it.

I'd strongly recommend warping and visiting the anomalies as much as possible. It looks like they give out the plans for those now, because one of my first visits post-patch resulted in a dupe v2 blueprint, and then a v3 (which I didn't have).

Yeah I meant the one about scanning fauna. Did you complete all the other milestones or maybe you have some other incomplete as well (I'm just thinking maybe the total number/sum at the bottom might have something to do with it, or just specific milestones)?

Interesting about the Atlas Passes, maybe it is that. I've actually visited anomalies 3 or 4 times since the Foundation update (and a few times before that, after I've already finished the Atlas path) and I keep getting tech I already have, except I got I think a Health Module Theta, which I wasn't even sure it existed in the game.

Yeah I meant the one about scanning fauna. Did you complete all the other milestones or maybe you have some other incomplete as well (I'm just thinking maybe the total number/sum at the bottom might have something to do with it, or just specific milestones)?

Interesting about the Atlas Passes, maybe it is that.

I only have the first Atlas Pass, and I have four slots in my teleporter list. I don't think my fauna achievement is very high. It might just be a bug.

From what I've seen, once you hit the maximum, the oldest system is pushed off the list at the bottom. The most recently visited system is on top.

Mindlog

I need a monstrous amount of Thamium to complete my freighter farm and I can never seem to find more than ~400 before I get tired of looking for more.

Ran into an odd issue on PS4. With a large farm room cube sides started randomly generating in the middle of planters and whatnot. Going to shrink the size of my main room and build supplemental farms.

Kagrra

Neo Member
I need a monstrous amount of Thamium to complete my freighter farm and I can never seem to find more than ~400 before I get tired of looking for more.

Ran into an odd issue on PS4. With a large farm room cube sides started randomly generating in the middle of planters and whatnot. Going to shrink the size of my main room and build supplemental farms.

Try looking for Thamium on moons without atmosphere.

Try looking for Thamium on moons without atmosphere.

Yes there can be hordes of the stuff. I was on such a moon yesterday mining Iridium (and happened to replenish my Thamium9 stock at the same time).

Sometimes, it is just faster to spend a little while blasting a lot of asteroids. Yes, you will pickup a lot of iron and yes you will fight a lot of pirates, but you will at least have plenty of iron to replenish your shields when fighting those pirates!

I only have the first Atlas Pass, and I have four slots in my teleporter list. I don't think my fauna achievement is very high. It might just be a bug.

From what I've seen, once you hit the maximum, the oldest system is pushed off the list at the bottom. The most recently visited system is on top.

I have four slots in my teleporter list, but mine is bugged out, so the bottom two are both the first system I set up a base in and they never change. The upper two represent the most recent systems I've visited, but I lost out on a pretty cool system hopping around assuming the bottom two in the list would eventually be overwritten.

I found a planet that has nothing on it. Nothing. No plants, no animals, not really any resources... but it has boatloads of Thamium. It's growing in patches a minimum of 10-plants deep; one patch had 26 plants. I can drop down, run in a big circle and leave with 3,000 plus Thamium in fairly short order. Don't remember the system, but I named the planet "Tho Much Thamium" so if you ever stumble upon it, guess what you'll find? But I agree; hopping around between planets when you're trying to stock up on something specific is just a nightmare, especially for things like Thamium or Zinc or Rigogen which aren't listed on planet scans. One thing I always do now; every trade terminal I visit, I buy up all the Thamium and Zinc, regardless of price. It's only 47 units of the stuff, but it adds up, and I'm not exactly strapped for cash.

Tigress

But I agree; hopping around between planets when you're trying to stock up on something specific is just a nightmare, especially for things like Thamium or Zinc or Rigogen which aren't listed on planet scans. One thing I always do now; every trade terminal I visit, I buy up all the Thamium and Zinc, regardless of price. It's only 47 units of the stuff, but it adds up, and I'm not exactly strapped for cash.

If you just stock up everytime you are on a dead planet, you'll find you have so much you need to get rid of some honestly. Especially if you are like me and use carbon to fuel your gun/grenades. I got to the point that the horder in me couldn't get rid of the thamium but at the same time I needed those slots and barely ever used even one slot of thamium on my suit (especially if I picked up any thamium I saw). And I'm on survival mode.

Honestly, I think having 500 or maybe thamium on you just for backup and then just using what you find is a good balance. And you can easily get that much on a dead planet (which I find are not too rare. I seem to get one almost every system). Don't even have to have nothing else on them (usually they'll have two minerals and heridium but absolutely no life).

Top Bottom