• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky "Path Finder" Content Update announced

SomTervo

but but in The Order 1886 threads the very wide FOV was a cheap way to justify black bars ;)...

Seriously though, I think at least the Pro version could handle a slightly greater FOV value and the game would play a lot better for it.

Yeah agree re PS4 Pro. I wonder if that impacts on 'parity' too much.

For feeling insignificant and lost it is moving and awesome, but as soon as I want to return to someplace I've been before or tailor my exploration beyond just the straight line to the center it falls apart. Let me filter stars by color, by number of planets and moons, by control of race, by "current" trade market rates, by explored vs unexplored, etc. Even just fading other stars out or highlighting the ones I'm filtering for would be nice. Having a list of systems and planets I've visited with no simple way to plot a course back is insanely frustrating.
Do you mean they should have a list of your systems within the map? Or do you not know you can set a waypoint through the discovery menu? I hope it's the latter, because you're about to become very happy. It was patched in the Pathfinder update.

The idea of a filter is nice, but do I like just discovering that when I get there. If I've discovered it then that's great, more info is fine then. Or just have a toggle for people who don't want it.

Fisty

Saw the Digital Foundry video, as a 1080p Pro owner, I am very excited to jump back in!

Is Permadeath mode just Survival with permadeath? Or is there other differences? I made it to the center at launch without dying, so I would like to get that Permadeath trophy

NotSelf

Saw the Digital Foundry video, as a 1080p Pro owner, I am very excited to jump back in!

Is Permadeath mode just Survival with permadeath? Or is there other differences? I made it to the center at launch without dying, so I would like to get that Permadeath trophy

There's no differences only that you're save file will be deleted if you die on perma.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital

Permadeath mode works exactly the same as Survivor with only one difference: DEATH means wiped save data.

Minamu

My experience is every single freighter I've helped in a firefight has cost 15 million. After teh update I did leave a planet, see a bunch of freighters and saw one was open to enter so did so. They only wanted 1,500,000. I left them and was given some warning that a help signal was about... which turned out to be another freighter in a nearby (but not same) freighter cluster. I don't know how much that one would have cost me because the game crashed though (losing the one freighter I've found that isn't 15,000,000. They're all 15,000,000 in my game. before the patch even freighters I could enter that I didn't save).
I got into two fights in the same system just now, first freighter was 30.5mil after trading in my own for 5.5mil (25 slots to my 13). The second one had 15 slots and went for 5.5mil.

Edit: I'm NOT getting a patch in eu, still on 1.22 :/

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Cloud saves ftw, I guess lol

Thanks for the answers, might jump in after Nier

Well, if you're about to die you can always switch to another mode or turn your PS4 off. That way you just load in at your last save ... But where's the challenge in that?

Kalentan

I'm going to test it out later but does the FPS lock on the Pro reduce the heat the Pro generates? I noticed that when playing on my 1080p monitor, the game ran at 60 fps (locked seemingly, unless mining under water), and that the fans were still blowing but not with such an intensity that the fans do when playing on a 4K tv.

NotSelf

Well, if you're about to die you can always switch to another mode or turn your PS4 off. That way you just load in at your last save ... But where's the challenge in that?

I was just about to ask the question could I just turn off the game during perma if I was about to die. It happened to me last night but I only thought about it afterwards I'm slow.

I can only imagine how disheartened someone would feel making it close to the center after spending months preparing only to lose all that work.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I was just about to ask the question could I just turn off the game during perma if I was about to die. It happened to me last night but I only thought about it afterwards I'm slow.

I can only imagine how disheartened someone would feel making it close to the center after spending months preparing only to lose all that work.

By the time anyone gets to the centre, they should have upgraded their suit/ship/weapon more than enough to make it a relatively panic free experience.

edit: For the love of God, please let me undo waypoints.

Wasn't expecting the patch to come out so soon. Guess I'll have to hold off on updating until I can find a cheap freighter.

If they've removed all the discounts for helping out pirates, there doesn't seem much reason to do so anymore. The rewards they give you aren't enough to make up for possibly getting killed and using up shield resources.

Tigress

By the time anyone gets to the centre, they should have upgraded their suit/ship/weapon more than enough to make it a relatively panic free experience.

But then what is the point of playing permadeath? I can understand finding ways around permadeath if you are playing nethack or like games that don't give you options not to play that way, but there are three options to play NMS without permadeath if you don't want to accept dieing?

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
But then what is the point of playing permadeath? I can understand finding ways around permadeath if you are playing nethack or like games that don't give you options not to play that way, but there are three options to play NMS without permadeath if you don't want to accept dieing?

You still have to manage things though and there IS just an 'outside chance' something could go wrong. But the main driving force is that understanding of 'THE END', all those hours lost in one moment of madness. It doesn't matter if it actually happens, it's that it CAN.

Where can one obtain Warp Drive upgrades? Totally forgot how that worked..

You still have to manage things though and there IS just an 'outside chance' something could go wrong. But the main driving force is that understanding of 'THE END', all those hours lost in one moment of madness. It doesn't matter if it actually happens, it's that it CAN.

That and the fact that the trophie attached to this, is going to be extremely rare. That's enough incentive for some.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Where can one obtain Warp Drive upgrades? Totally forgot how that worked..

That and the fact that the trophie attached to this, is going to be extremely rare. That's enough incentive for some.

You now have to form strong relationships with NPCs and buy them. A game changer as far as I'm concerned.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Did they do something in one of post-Pathfinder updates to nerf exocraft wall-climbing ability (hold x to climb a vertical surface)? I realize it was probably unintentional but it was damn useful. My current home planet has these deep craters with sheer vertical sides which I used to be able to hold x to climb out of in the exocraft but now I have to get out and use grenades to create a sloped tunnel out of them.

mokeyjoe

I guess it's just for the trophy.

Tigress

I think that's my point. If you are just going to quit the game before the end happens to cheat the end, why even play permadeath. You kinda defeated the point of it (knowing that it can).

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I think that's my point. If you are just going to quit the game before the end happens to cheat the end, why even play permadeath. You kinda defeated the point of it (knowing that it can).

Well, context is everything. This is what I'm answering:

I Answered:

And you said this:

To which I answered:

I can only imagine you quoted the wrong post but even then it's confusing because I said the same thing:

Wasn't expecting the patch to come out so soon. Guess I'll have to hold off on updating until I can find a cheap freighter.

If they've removed all the discounts for helping out pirates, there doesn't seem much reason to do so anymore. The rewards they give you aren't enough to make up for possibly getting killed and using up shield resources.

This is what I'm doing. Paused the update so I can hunt down a better freighter than the one I've got as they are simply too expensive normally. Does anyone know the exact parameters that have to be met to find one of these 'bugged' discounted freighters?

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
It's so much harder to progress now ... and I love it. I think part of the problem was people burning through the new content too quickly and then having to wait for another update for more to do. This update has made the game feel meatier, with better balance. When you upgrade your ship/suit/gun you get a better sense of 'achievement' and when you finally get a decent gun/ship, it feels well earned. The new currency and shops have also allowed them to add other equipment and upgrades easily and the fact you have an R1/L1 scroll button but only ever get one page of new upgrades, shows quite clearly that's exactly what they intend to do.

I think the next update is either going to be environmental or to do with space exploration. All I want right now is a few new topographical features, a better variation in caves, and more animals with improved AI/animations. I'll be honest, one more substantial update like the Foundation/Pathfinder updates, and I'd be willing to pay something for any subsequent DLC, providing it was priced reasonably. Free would be better of course, but I wouldn't be annoyed in the least if it wasn't.

A few extra little touches and features I'd like to see added:

1: The down menu should be sticky so it remembers what I did last. Great for photo mode or space battles when you need to replenish your shields.
2: NPCs should mill about on Bases, on Space stations or Freighters.
3: Sentinel should stop and communicate with one and other before going about there business
4: More whether effects such as lightening and thunder.
5: The tiny white Sentinal you see on Freighters should be available for purchase as an on land buddy, with extra fire power and extra storage.

NMS is now going places. I actually envy anyone who is just now getting on board.

Played around with the community features for the first time, visiting other people's bases, but the thing that really stood out to me were the race tracks. There are a few of them that are actually pretty nice, but to me it was weird and nice that I was playing No Man's Sky as a racing game, doing crazy jumps with the Nomad and having a good time with this little fast paced twist on the gameplay. It feels a lot more gamey, not to mention very linearly guided, naturally, but also kinda out of place from the current NMS experience.

Racing around those planets felt refreshing, it gives a hint of what's possible when you take the canvas of NMS and focus it into a simple, fun goal. It's all kinda rough, sure, but speeding around gave me even more appreciation for the procedural terrain generation as well as giving me hope that one day we might get a bit more reason and fun out of exploring and traversing the vast stretches of land, for cartographic, combat or discovery purposes.

Why ride a rollercoaster? You know you're not actually going to plummet to your death.

Thrill is in knowing that you're safe, while pretending you're in danger. And the precise balance of fear and comfort which feels exciting but not debilitating is different from person to person.

Played around with the community features for the first time, visiting other people's bases, but the thing that really stood out to me were the race tracks. There are a few of them that are actually pretty nice, but to me it was weird and nice that I was playing No Man's Sky as a racing game, doing crazy jumps with the Nomad and having a good time with this little fast paced twist on the gameplay. It feels a lot more gamey, not to mention very linearly guided, naturally, but also kinda out of place from the current NMS experience.

Racing around those planets felt refreshing, it gives a hint of what's possible when you take the canvas of NMS and focus it into a simple, fun goal. It's all kinda rough, sure, but speeding around gave me even more appreciation for the procedural terrain generation as well as giving me hope that one day we might get a bit more reason and fun out of exploring and traversing the vast stretches of land, for cartographic, combat or discovery purposes.

I'm not going to say it's not an interesting/fun idea and agree that it shows the potential of this engine, but also feel like it's a distraction from all the basic game issues that need addressing.

One thing about the bases, they feel a bit like Groundhog Day because it doesn't matter what time of day or night it is, when I walk out of my base the planets are in the same damn spot every time. They need to make planets actually orbit. I would like true orbital mechanics like we were promised, but at this point I don't care if it's a hacky skybox workaround or something, just make them move in the sky.

You don't even need orbital mechanics for that - simple planet rotation would be sufficient.

True! I'm sure that'd be easier and more plausible for them to implement at this point. It would also allow for dynamic night/day cycles, and maybe cycles that last hours or days instead of minutes.

mokeyjoe

I'm not going to say it's not an interesting/fun idea and agree that it shows the potential of this engine, but also feel like it's a distraction from all the basic game issues that need addressing.

One thing about the bases, they feel a bit like Groundhog Day because it doesn't matter what time of day or night it is, when I walk out of my base the planets are in the same damn spot every time. They need to make planets actually orbit. I would like true orbital mechanics like we were promised, but at this point I don't care if it's a hacky skybox workaround or something, just make them move in the sky.

You don't even need orbital mechanics for that - simple planet rotation would be sufficient.

Here's (some of) my wish list.

-Planetary physics. At least fake the planets moving, as the sun is. I can see the problem though. How fast are these planets moving? If it were our solar system, they'd be moving 365 times slower than the day cycle. How long is a day roughly in NMS? 15+ minutes? Even if you cut it down to 100 times, it would be 25 hours a year. It would be better to pick a number that was pleasing on the eye, rather than make sense. I'd have a 6 hour year cycle. Most people will see it in action, without it being too slow. Of course, space stations and moons will move at a faster or similar speed as a day cycle. Day cycles should also be calculated by the size of planet.

The sun should be real, and you should be able to flying into it.

The ability - even if it's a stupid ability - to fly out of the solar system manually. Have broken ships and debris for some level of exploration...and for that inevitable moment you realise just how long this will actually take, and need to warp out of there.

-Markers. Kind of related to the first. There should be a way of turning them off, and they need to be more user friendly. Why not have a 3D guide that you follow, like an augmented reality sat nav. Its curve and shape would show you where on the planet you are going. You would be able to see this path through the planet. Multiple markers would have different colours.

Markers in the distance should reduce in size. They should never obscure the planet.

Solar system waypoints should show in the actual sky, and pointing in that direction should give you the option to warp, without using the map.

-Hotkeys. Left and Right on the d-pad select customised actions. Have them link like the slots do. For example, you can have one for creating a shielding plate next to one for recharging hazard protection, so it instantly recharges the hazard protection. These hotkeys can be bought (to a limit) to add a tactical element.

-Animal behaviour. Have some.

-Ship controls. A complete overhaul.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
QbCK4Cf.jpg

Hahaha giant avacado 🙌🏾🥑

How many patches came out in the last week? Seems like it's installed one every time I've started Steam since the Path Finder patch came out.

Also..

Need more ship control options. Would be great if it could be piloted like the Jackals in COD:IW... They could have made an entire game based around that.

OuterLimits

The biggest thing left they need to improve in my opinion is the flora and fauna. The game has changed dramatically for the better with the recent updates, but the plants and animals remain pretty much the same as at release. The one exception seems to be animal density. The descriptors are much more accurate now. If it says few or sparse, then you can walk for a long time and not see many animals. Abundant now means they are everywhere.

Most ice planets for example have the exact same looking trees. While the planets geographically have improved a bunch, the lack of variety with animals and plants really holds the game back.

It would be cool if we actually had animals that had fur for example. Maybe something that looked like a bear/tiger/lion. Right now, the majority kind of looks reptilian in nature. Occasionally the procedural generation will spit out something kind of cool, but for the most part the animals are as repetitive as the plants.

Also the weather and clouds need dramatic improvement.

Fought off eight ships by myself to save a freighter. Captain offered me his ship for 19 mil. Sigh. I'm about at the point of just installing the new update and giving up on being able to have a freighter anytime soon.

Minamu

Can you now choose between 4K and 1080p on Pro?
This I'd like to know as well, I've set the console to 1080 in some console menu but it still feels like I have the 4k fps drops :/ Haven't checked with te bew patch though. My tv doesn't suppost hdr or 4k, the hdmi is too crap for it anyway according to some menu.

Fedele

This is what I'm doing. Paused the update so I can hunt down a better freighter than the one I've got as they are simply too expensive normally. Does anyone know the exact parameters that have to be met to find one of these 'bugged' discounted freighters?

I did the same before updating yesterday. I loaded my ship with 10~ warp cells and jumped from blue star to blue star, checking freighter prices in all of them. I then found one for 550k, 15 slots. Gek system, checked the price right after dropping from hyperspace, no battle happening or anything... I guess you just have to keep checking until you find it, good luck!

E92 M3

It's funny, I found a 28 slot freighter for 6 mil and was like damnnn - that's a good price lol. The aesthetics aren't exactly what I want, but it's still cool.

NotSelf

I also decided to hold off on the update to see if I could find one of these cheap freighters. I did 10 warp jumps with no luck when I decided use a black hole and finally found a freighter under attack defeated the pirates and paid only 0 for the freighter.

Top Bottom