• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky "Path Finder" Content Update announced

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
They should make the down menu sticky. It should remember the last thing you picked which would make taking those action shots in photo mode much easier.

I played some NMS this weekend and quite enjoyed how much more substantive and polished the game is these days. Survival especially was a good few hours of stressful fun, at least until it dawns on you that it's basically Plutonium Scavenging Simulator 2017 once you get off the first planet.

My major complaint is the addition of 3 horribly designed trophies. Devs, please stop adding terrible DLC trophies.

WilyRook

So let me understand this better. You landed on a dead planet with someone else's discoveries saved? And its description was something other than dead? Was the system discovered and named by that person?

The system wasn't even discovered, nope. I uploaded it as my own discovery.

To be clear, I'm not criticizing, just observing. I'm glad they keep tweaking and reorienting the basic game structure. I've been addicted to the game since its launch. I know its to be expected there would be problems like this with something ambitious.

Systems stay the same. The number of planets and moons in a system stay the same. I understand why it has to be, but it's just annoying that not even the planets I named are safe. At least warn people of this. I assumed the planets might be different but at least they were saved, but now anyone can just rename them.

So I'm going to have to just renamed them. Also "The Balli System" is now called "The Balli System System" :D Don't put "System" at the end.

I love how everyone playing this game takes different things for granted. Except for the asshole crabs. Asshole crabs are universal.

And dickweeds.

bduteddh77ly.jpg

mokeyjoe

Have the planets improved? Every cave i see is still ...the..same...damn..thing!

No, planets are the same in this update. Last planet update was in Foundation.

There is only one cave biome right now. They'll have to reset the galaxy to change that, which they'll only do sparingly for the reasons discussed in the previous posts.

Is there anything at all I can put under landing pads so they're not floating? I'm almost happy with my base besides this one little thing. The PS4 build limit has been a bugger to try and work-around.

Edit: Sorted my elevated landing pad issue. Used infrastructure circular walls underneath as they're the only thing that seems to clip. I hope Hello add landing pad struts at some point.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
A few small tweaks I want to see:

1: The down menu should be sticky so that it remembers what you last did
2: Let us see the trade in value of the ship we have so we can shop for better trade in values
3: Each stamina upgrade should allow us to run that little bit faster
4: Each scanner upgrade should add more resources as we upgrade (maybe just Plutonium, Thamium and Platinum to begin with). They also reduce the time it takes to fill back up by 10 seconds each upgrade in Survival and Permadeath mode.
5: Let us transfer straight to our suits from the vehicles

I am convinced that there will be a big update to our suits. It's too odd for it to be the only one without stats.

The photo mode needs a dedicated button. There are a lot of ways to do that too.

How would anyone feel about using the motion control to control the roll of the ship? Leaving L1 and R1 free for the fire button.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I am convinced that there will be a big update to our suits. It's too odd for it to be the only one without stats.

The photo mode needs a dedicated button. There are a lot of ways to do that too.

How would anyone feel about using the motion control to control the roll of the ship? Leaving L1 and R1 free for the fire button.

That's why I've suggested the menu should be sticky. If it remembered what you'd done last, taking those instant action shots would be as simple as down/X. And NO to motion controls.

A few small tweaks I want to see:

1: The down menu should be sticky so that it remembers what you last did
2: Let us see the trade in value of the ship we have so we can shop for better trade in values
3: Each stamina upgrade should allow us to run that little bit faster
4: Each scanner upgrade should add more resources as we upgrade (maybe just Plutonium, Thamium and Platinum to begin with). They also reduce the time it takes to fill back up by 10 seconds each upgrade in Survival and Permadeath mode.
5: Let us transfer straight to our suits from the vehicles

re: 2, as far as I understand it, the trade-in discount is just their ship price minus your ship's value. You can see the value of your current ship on the Compare screen.

re: 5, I'd really like to see a total overhaul of the inventory UI. I find it hard to quickly find resources in the big grid of slots; I'd rather have an alphabetical list I can quickly scan, with a popup that lets you choose which storage/vehicle to send it to. Also I really want to be able to traverse it with the d-pad instead of using the damned virtual mouse cursor. And use L1/R1 to move through the crafting/tech sub-menus.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
re: 2, as far as I understand it, the trade-in discount is just their ship price minus your ship's value. You can see the value of your current ship on the Compare screen.

re: 5, I'd really like to see a total overhaul of the inventory UI. I find it hard to quickly find resources in the big grid of slots; I'd rather have an alphabetical list I can quickly scan, with a popup that lets you choose which storage/vehicle to send it to. Also I really want to be able to traverse it with the d-pad instead of using the damned virtual mouse cursor. And use L1/R1 to move through the crafting/tech sub-menus.

Oh, I didn't realise that.

On another note I'd like to see a fourth race added. Imagine if you were strolling across a planet and you see a disc shaped object coming towards you, scanning the planet with cones of blinding light. Now you have to run for cover because if you're caught in one of those beams of light you can be abducted, your only method of escape is to fight the new race and launch an escape pod that drops you 'anywhere' on the planet you were abducted from.

I also want to see derelict freighters too, with strange creatures roaming within and alien tech to be found.

... And make the NPCs stroll around a bit.

I kind of wish they would just remove creatures altogether until they can do them right. They looks so absurd with their crappy animations and walking in circles that it's getting more distracting than immersive

mokeyjoe

The more you play, the more you come to realise that this should have been handled by a much bigger team

I don't imagine they had much choice.

But given that they're continuing to work on it and hiring at the moment, your wish may be fulfilled
eventually

mokeyjoe

I kind of wish they would just remove creatures altogether until they can do them right. They looks so absurd with their crappy animations and walking in circles that it's getting more distracting than immersive

Yeah but mowing them down in the Roamer is pretty satisfying.

I don't think the animal animations are crappy at all, but they now very noticeably pop in at much shorter distance since Pathfinder. I hope they are just laying the ground work for an overhaul. The only time I've seen an animal do anything special is when one seemed to be guarding a huge pile of Plutonium.

They still need to change the controls quite a bit. The fire button being X just doesn't work. And the fact that there are 4 buttons to control speed is mind boggling. Have Circle to toggle just like you do with a weapon. Also, I would have left and right select customised actions, with L2 to select them. And what was wrong with using the laser to scan things? Why not use the same scanning setup as the sentinels. I could go on :D

And I want to completely contradict what I was saying earlier, about discoveries. Because I spelt one planet wrong the first time and you can't change it (another thing), so I hoped that planet's name had been reset...NO! The whole system was right, all 5 planets :D As was the next system.

So the game was quite cheap on PS4 (15 euros), and the two updates improved it, so I bought it..

Aand not a great first experience I got to say. Also I knew more or less how the game currently is, so I didn't have any unreasonable expectations. I picked the harder difficulty so that resource management would have a point. I started up on a very nice looking planet with a building next to me, I explored it for some items. Pretty cool beginning, right? Well, it turns out my spaceship is 5 minutes away from me, resources are scarce and the planet is radioactive AND my life support goes down all the time for some reason? (independent from the radioactivity)

In other words, I can't do anything, I get killed way before I reach the spaceship, I am stuck. Is this supposed to be able to happen or what?

So the game was quite cheap on PS4 (15 euros), and the two updates improved it, so I bought it..

Aand not a great first experience I got to say. Also I knew more or less how the game currently is, so I didn't have any unreasonable expectations. I picked the harder difficulty so that resource management would have a point. I started up on a very nice looking planet with a building next to me, I explored it for some items. Pretty cool beginning, right? Well, it turns out my spaceship is 5 minutes away from me, resources are scarce and the planet is radioactive AND my life support goes down all the time for some reason? (independent from the radioactivity)

In other words, I can't do anything, I get killed way before I reach the spaceship, I am stuck. Is this supposed to be able to happen or what?

You have two "energy bars" one is for suit protection and one is for life support.

Life support will deplete when you move, more if you run/jet pack. Suit protection will deplete from environment/enemy damage.

Life support needs thamium (little bubble plants) or energy packs (made from plutonium and carbon).

Suit protection needs zinc, iron or metal plates.

Move slowly, scan the environment a lot, look for cover from radiation. If you have a grenade launcher you can dig holes to protect yourself from radiation.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital

Once you've fixed your visor and your scanner, look for Platinum, Zink and Thamium, as well as plutonium. Take it nice and easy and replenish your hazard protection by waiting in caves (if you can). Get familiar with what you can currently craft and what those things replenish. While you're in the caves, farm for iron and carbon. On the way to your ship look for round pillars of Heridium (they're blue) and take as much as you can. Send that to your ship. Survival is difficult to begin with but once you get in the swing of things and find upgrades, things slowly get easier.

You are very lucky your ship is only 5 minutes away by the way. Mine was 12 minutes away and many are 17 minutes away. Watch a few Youtube vids just to get an idea of what's what. 'Let's Play No Man's Sky Survival' should net you quite a few vids.

You have two "energy bars" one is for suit protection and one is for life support.

Life support will deplete when you move, more if you run/jet pack. Suit protection will deplete from environment/enemy damage.

Life support needs thamium (little bubble plants) or energy packs (made from plutonium and carbon).

Suit protection needs zinc, iron or metal plates.

Move slowly, scan the environment a lot, look for cover from radiation. If you have a grenade launcher you can dig holes to protect yourself from radiation.

Once you've fixed your visor and your scanner, look for Platinum, Zink and Thamium, as well as plutonium. Take it nice and easy and replenish your hazard protection by waiting in caves (if you can). Get familiar with what you can currently craft and what those things replenish. While you're in the caves, farm for iron and carbon. On the way to your ship look for round pillars of Heridium (they're blue) and take as much as you can. Send that to your ship. Survival is difficult to begin with but once you get in the swing of things and find upgrades, things slowly get easier.

You are very lucky your ship is only 5 minutes away by the way. Mine was 12 minutes away and many are 17 minutes away. Watch a few Youtube vids just to get an idea of what's what. 'Let's Play No Man's Sky Survival' should net you quite a few vids.

I finally succeeded leaving a planet.. (after many restarts, there just wasn't enough resources on the first planet)

And man that was tedious. Not really challenging or forcing me to be strategic, it was just tedious as all hell. Especially hiding in the caves just isn't fun. (and the worst is when you don't know if a cave is coming up and turns out it isn't so you die)

Maybe now that I got a ship the game will become more fun..

foamdino

Is there a specific trick to getting the teleport network to work? I've warped from my start system and then warped again and although I've built a homebase on a moon in the second system, I cannot warp to it from my current (now 3rd system).

Notes online etc seem to suggest all kinds of 5 warps, 3 warps, find atlas pass etc.

Is there a specific trick to getting the teleport network to work? I've warped from my start system and then warped again and although I've built a homebase on a moon in the second system, I cannot warp to it from my current (now 3rd system).

Notes online etc seem to suggest all kinds of 5 warps, 3 warps, find atlas pass etc.

You have to go to a space station and use the teleport console. It's up the left stairs in a room.

I recently started playing again and I'm having a blast on Survival mode. However, I think I may have screwed myself. I just found a wrecked ship that is a class A fighter, so I transferred my inventory to the new ship, and realized a bunch of the systems are broken. I wandered around and found everything I need except Heridium. The planet is very hot, so I can't stray too far from my ship or any caves I find.

Is there Heridium on every planet, and where is the best place to look if I'm on foot? If there isn't, can I go to my old ship, fly away and go buy some, then come back to the new ship and repair it? Or is it too late once I've transferred my stuff?

halfbeast

Banned

lol, I was watching one of those aggressive tentacle crabs attack those squirrelcow-creatures, it looked like an invisible kid just smashing its dollar store toys together.

also, make them stop screeching all the fucking time, my ears were bleeding while gathering resources.

Minamu

I recently started playing again and I'm having a blast on Survival mode. However, I think I may have screwed myself. I just found a wrecked ship that is a class A fighter, so I transferred my inventory to the new ship, and realized a bunch of the systems are broken. I wandered around and found everything I need except Heridium. The planet is very hot, so I can't stray too far from my ship or any caves I find.

Is there Heridium on every planet, and where is the best place to look if I'm on foot? If there isn't, can I go to my old ship, fly away and go buy some, then come back to the new ship and repair it? Or is it too late once I've transferred my stuff?
I THINK there's Heridium on every planet. It sure seems so when you scan planets at least. They're usually massive blue round rocks, fairly easy to spot. As for your ship, if you've turned off your console since you found the new one, the old one is probably long gone. That happened to me once. I don't know if it disappears with distance traveled once you have a new one too, but probably :/

I THINK there's Heridium on every planet. It sure seems so when you scan planets at least. They're usually massive blue round rocks, fairly easy to spot. As for your ship, if you've turned off your console since you found the new one, the old one is probably long gone. That happened to me once. I don't know if it disappears with distance traveled once you have a new one too, but probably :/
Yeah, I was looking for this big blue rocks and didn't see any within a reasonable radius from my new ship. I guess I'll have to get creative and venture further out. I also heard that Sentinels can drop Heridium, so maybe I'll have to get their attention and take some down. Thanks!

RodzTF

Whack down a signal booster and ask it to find a resource deposit. One should spawn on the planet. Heridium is rather common at resource deposits.

If you get to it and it ain't heridium, just rinse repeat.

Whack down a signal booster and ask it to find a resource deposit. One should spawn on the planet. Heridium is rather common at resource deposits.

If you get to it and it ain't heridium, just rinse repeat.
Ok I'll give that a shot. Is it possible to build them if I don't have a base established yet?

RodzTF

Ok I'll give that a shot. Is it possible to build them if I don't have a base established yet?

I believe you can build them at any point. Same as save stations/communication beacons. It's up on the D-pad to access them.

If I recall correctly, you need some Iron and a bit of Platinum to build one.

Minamu

What's the point of the advanced mining laser? Does it extract way more than simply using a grenade?
You need it for Titanium and Chrysonite. Do you even get anything at all by grenading stuff? Back in the day, it just destroyed resources entirely.

Yeah, I was looking for this big blue rocks and didn't see any within a reasonable radius from my new ship. I guess I'll have to get creative and venture further out. I also heard that Sentinels can drop Heridium, so maybe I'll have to get their attention and take some down. Thanks!
Pretty sure Sentinels mainly drop Zinc as its primary drop, apart from chips and pugneum.

mokeyjoe

I finally succeeded leaving a planet.. (after many restarts, there just wasn't enough resources on the first planet)

And man that was tedious. Not really challenging or forcing me to be strategic, it was just tedious as all hell. Especially hiding in the caves just isn't fun. (and the worst is when you don't know if a cave is coming up and turns out it isn't so you die)

You're about to get repeatedly wrecked by pirates every time you try to go anywhere.

Have fun ;)

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital

I don't think this game is for you. Having to rush to a cave and search for resources is what makes this game 'fun'. That's the heart of it. You could try normal mode. That's a more chilled experience.

Use photo made to scout your local area for resources.

So I've tasted it and you can mine small amounts of elements you use the advanced laser for, with a grenade, but the big pieces just explode or don't react.

mokeyjoe

I don't think this game is for you. Having to rush to a cave and search for resources is what makes this game 'fun'. That's the heart of it. You could try normal mode. That's a more chilled experience.

Yeah, i agree.

Also they've beefed up Normal a bit since launch, it's not a total walk in the park any more.

I think Survival plays better once you've got a grasp of the basic mechanics from Normal mode anyway. When you might want the extra challenge.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital

Sentinels drop Zink, not Heridium.

Thing is, Survival mode isn't just "hard" difficulty, it's basically a different gametype. It turns NMS into a roguelike. Some may like that intense challenge, and some may not. It sounds to me that you should just try Normal mode.

Just saw there's a new Experimental update, which means that if all goes well we should see this as an official release in a few days:

changelog:
Optimised HBAO so that it runs faster
Added an option to lock framerate on PS4 to 30 fps to keep the frame rate stable
Sentinel drones now investigate correctly when in a vehicle
Fixed a rare bug that could cause players to fall through the floor when exiting a ship
Fixed texturing issue in freighter bases
Fixed and inventory exploit when purchasing multiple ships in a freighter that allows you to duplicate your ship's inventory
Fixed a bug that causes freighters to be too cheap
You can no longer build the Exocraft Terminal in freighter bases, this prevented players from being able to complete the vehicle missions
Fix for ships spawning on top of each other
Fixed a crash in physics
Fixed a crash resulting from running out of memory
Improved vehicle audio
Fix for certain UI elements having over-saturated colours in HDR
Fix for font anti-aliasing in HDR
Improved performance of UI rendering in HDR
Fix for HDR rendering being dark on some TV models
Fixed a visual issue with the T-shaped corridor
Added error messaging for failed uploads to Steam Workshop
Colossus camera is now slightly further back when moving at speed
Exocraft mining lasers are now easier to aim up
Increased yield from Autonomous Field Mining Units
Fixed issue with Colossus Exocraft's wheels sinking through the ground
Adjust colossus collision to make it harder to go underground
Enable Steam Controller in base reporting and Steam Workshop base upload
The animation when exiting the Colossus is improved
Exocraft mining laser uses less fuel but is less effective in combat
Fixes for the white sphere that shows when at the photo mode boundary
Fix for ladders vanishing in bases
Fixed a crash when uploading and downloading bases using Steam Workshop
Default to frame lock on for PS4 and off for PS4Pro
Fixed an issue caused when dieing in permadeath with the inventory screen open
Fixed a bug causing poor performace when in a vehicle near predator creatures

Looks like they've removed the cheap freighters as a bug :(
edit: interesting, looks like they're adding a frame lock toggle on PS4 which will be available on both models.

Top Bottom