• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Mans Sky | PC Performance Thread

Repo Man

I'm so glad that the fuckugly blur filter appears to have been removed, I actually requested a refund because of that crap as it was giving me headaches ( refund was denied since i had played more then 2 hours, fair play as its the Steam policy ). After getting my settings sorted, the game runs nicely and looks a lot clearer now. Just wish there was a decent AA option but I can put up with the jaggies.

IlludiumQ36

84VoxFy.jpg

This was just too perfect.

Yes, NMS. PC gamers everywhere agree.

I haven't had one crash. I am running on a 960M (4gb) Acer laptop. Kind of weird that a lot of these super expensive spec'd out computers are having issues when my budget laptop is running smooth.

noomi

Playing for a few days after the latest patch, I can say that the game is crash free for me.

Performance is decent for right now, wish the game would use more of the GPU though, seems it hovers around 50% per card now.

c0Zm1c

Playing for a few days after the latest patch, I can say that the game is crash free for me.

Performance is decent for right now, wish the game would use more of the GPU though, seems it hovers around 50% per card now.

The game regularly hits 90%+ usage for both cores on my GTX690 (with "high" settings). The stuttering is horrific when moving and flying around a planet's surface with SLI enabled though, even on "low" settings.

The game regularly hits 90%+ usage for both cores on my GTX690 (with "high" settings). The stuttering is horrific when moving and flying around a planet's surface with SLI enabled though, even on "low" settings.

That must be a dual GPU single card SLI issue because it's stutter free on my dual card SLI setup (though that might be due to the fact they are 980's and not 670s, which is basically what the 690 is)

Unicorn

I have noticed that occasionally stuttering will be insufferable for the first 10 to 15 minutes, but when I play longer than that it all just goes away. It's like it has to load all the different sorts of assets or w/e into RAM or some shit and then it's butter. no vsync still annoys me though.

I have noticed that occasionally stuttering will be insufferable for the first 10 to 15 minutes, but when I play longer than that it all just goes away. It's like it has to load all the different sorts of assets or w/e into RAM or some shit and then it's butter. no vsync still annoys me though.

Does your framerate drop by a ton at a random point later? If not, what graphics card you using?

Dries

Can I cap my fps at 45 or does the game not like that? I have a g-sync monitor and like to push visual stuff in favor of fps. Reason I'm asking: some games are really meant for 60 fps (like Wolfenstein The New Order). Wondering if NMS is also like this?

Can I cap my fps at 45 or does the game not like that? I have a g-sync monitor and like to push visual stuff in favor of fps. Reason I'm asking: some games are really meant for 60 fps (like Wolfenstein The New Order). Wondering if NMS is also like this?
I capped mine at 40fps and have no issues.

renzollo

Banned
If I pick up a Vortex Cube it seems to still exist in the world but it's invisible. If I walk into it I stop as if I've hit it but it's no longer there. If I come back I'll be able to see it again but as soon as I get close it goes invisible again but the collision is still there.

Anyone else getting this issue?

There are all sorts of weird issues with how the game updates the terrain visuals when you gather resources that change it. For large mineral veins it will update the terrain when you're close but shift back to the pre-mined terrain once you move further out; in both cases the game engine knows that the resource is gone, so what's it's showing is not a reflection of the actual game state. For the one-off gatherables like Vortox Cubes, Albumen Pearls, Aquaspheres etc it does the exact same thing - if you gather in an area and then double back the resource nodes will still be there but under the hood the resources themselves are gone. It's quite maddening when you're doing big gathering loops since (of course) you also have no way to mark territory that you've already been through on any kind of map and the terrain all looks the same. It sounds like in the case of the vortex cubes it's attempting to "hide" them once they've been gathered but not actually removing them from the terrain.

The entire planetary surface system is hilariously janky. Have you noticed that if you stand in one place and "scan" you'll pick up different random things around you every time? It's like the scanner just picks objects at random to identify from a list of whatever is close by.

Game updated today. 76mb.
Any idea what was in the patch?

Just tried it out, the one thing I noticed is clicking on quit gave me a gray screen with a little prompt window saying "Your last save was 6 seconds ago", I think that screen just asked do you want to quit, maybe I'm wrong.

noomi

Another new experimental patch out, no clue what changes but I anticipate something official will be out shortly.

There are all sorts of weird issues with how the game updates the terrain visuals when you gather resources that change it. For large mineral veins it will update the terrain when you're close but shift back to the pre-mined terrain once you move further out; in both cases the game engine knows that the resource is gone, so what's it's showing is not a reflection of the actual game state. For the one-off gatherables like Vortox Cubes, Albumen Pearls, Aquaspheres etc it does the exact same thing - if you gather in an area and then double back the resource nodes will still be there but under the hood the resources themselves are gone. It's quite maddening when you're doing big gathering loops since (of course) you also have no way to mark territory that you've already been through on any kind of map and the terrain all looks the same. It sounds like in the case of the vortex cubes it's attempting to "hide" them once they've been gathered but not actually removing them from the terrain.

The entire planetary surface system is hilariously janky. Have you noticed that if you stand in one place and "scan" you'll pick up different random things around you every time? It's like the scanner just picks objects at random to identify from a list of whatever is close by.

I can't tell you how many times I've ran a few clicks to get to a resource only to see it vanish when I got near it because I'd already mined it ten minutes before.

SnowTeeth

Banned
Just updated to the new Nvidia (372.70) drivers and it has killed my framerate. Again. I'm on the latest experimental build which was running great (GTX960) before the update. Anyone else experiencing this?

btw, should shade cache be on or off now?

noomi

New update is out for steam as of a few hours ago.. if someone finds patch notes please post.

Going to update the OP for now..

naddel81

Neo Member
Hi @ all,

even with the newest update I get stotters everywhere and when flying over a planet the framerate feels very inconsistent. Is my 4,5GHz clocked Intel i5 too slow? It can play Doom and the Witcher without a problem. Rest of the gig is a 980 Ti and 24 GB of ram. I even installed NMS to a RAMDisk to prevent it from "slow" SSD (Samsung 950) loading.

Either it is my rig or the game has still major performance problems even after 6 patches!
What is your experience? Do I need a 8 core for 1000 dollars to make it work?

@jimmyricard: it runs... not very optimized on my i5. and it is a overclocked one. guess you need an i7 to run it properly, right?

Dries

So, according to MSI Afterburner my CPU usages reacht single digit values on some cores. I have a i7 6700K and the game runs like shit now. Does anyone else notice weird stuff happening to their performance?

ultimota

just started playing and noticed some odd "issues"

i visited a friend to see if these things were showing up for him and they didn't seem to be

also getting some missing textures eg. Emeril is just black. also low 50fps on planets though not sure if thats normal for this game though

cpu - 7700k
gpu - GTX1080
ram - 16gb ddr4

Since the game runs 60fps on PS4 pro. Does it now finally run without big ass frame drops on pc?

Before I got a refund it would drop from 70 to 40 if there was any water. I'd rather get the game on PS4 if this is still the case.

ISee

Patch 1.31 and vsync is still a mess in this game, unbelievable.
I can get 70-80 fps without Vsync at 1440p (GTX 1080), but whenever I turn it on I get constant drops below 60 and terrible stutter. It's so annoying. The worst part is: Borderless window mode doesn't work probably to eliminate tearing (even with FPS locked to 60 with RTSS).
In the end there are two options to play the game for me 1440p/60 with tearing or 1440p/50-60 without tearing but constant stutters

NoWayOut

I haven't had one crash. I am running on a 960M (4gb) Acer laptop. Kind of weird that a lot of these super expensive spec'd out computers are having issues when my budget laptop is running smooth.

I have the same GPU in my laptop, can you tell me how is the frame rate for you? What CPU do you have?
Thanks!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I have the same GPU in my laptop, can you tell me how is the frame rate for you? What CPU do you have?
Thanks!

That post is a year old (to round up a week-and-a-half). You'd be better off sending a PM; it's very likely he won't think to look in this thread if he's not playing the game.

dr_rus

Patch 1.31 and vsync is still a mess in this game, unbelievable.
I can get 70-80 fps without Vsync at 1440p (GTX 1080), but whenever I turn it on I get constant drops below 60 and terrible stutter. It's so annoying. The worst part is: Borderless window mode doesn't work probably to eliminate tearing (even with FPS locked to 60 with RTSS).
In the end there are two options to play the game for me 1440p/60 with tearing or 1440p/50-60 without tearing but constant stutters

Enable triple buffering in NV's drivers for NMS. It's OpenGL so it will work.

Top Bottom