• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky Spoiler Thread

If true that is crushingly disappointing.

Hello Games will patch it in.

To make a game of this unbelievably incredible scope, small sacrifices had to be made to get it in by deadline; but patching gives developers endless possibilities.

I'm sure they're already working on huge update 2 that will add tons of more content, bug fixes and things like this.

They are a small team, afterall!

DigtialT

Okay, enough is enough. You all need to really pull back your expectations when it comes to this Day 1 patch. Some people in here are expecting entire mechanics or systems to be implemented, and I don't know how realistic that really is.

Okay, enough is enough. You all need to really pull back your expectations when it comes to this Day 1 patch. Some people in here are expecting entire mechanics or systems to be implemented, and I don't know how realistic that really is.

I just said the same thing 4 posts ago.

Unless Update 1 contains things that they have been working on/brainstorming for over a year that they finally had a free month to implement and really crunch-time it; it's just going to be cool things but not substantial, integral game updates - not yet, anyway.

So i have a question, ive seen many videos and allot of them have sentinels protecting the planets. What i'm wondering in this space game were you are the first to visit a planet then how come sentinels are already there, that means someone else has visited all the planets??? Or are there planets with out those robots. Kind of weird if it sais you are the first here but hey theres robots protecting stuff... Or do i got the game wrong...

Betty

Banned
So i have a question, ive seen many videos and allot of them have sentinels protecting the planets. What i'm wondering in this space game were you are the first to visit a planet then how come sentinels are already there, that means someone else has visited all the planets??? Or are there planets with out those robots. Kind of weird if it sais you are the first here but hey theres robots protecting stuff... Or do i got the game wrong...

The sentinels are on every planet, think of them like guard dogs or something that got sent to every world in the system.

The sentinels are on every planet, think of them like guard dogs or something that got sent to every world in the system.

For some reason that really irks me. Wish it was just the populated planets rare ones. This takes all
Of the first to be there aspect of the game away for
Me.

Rsinart

Played for a few hours today. Been to 8 planets/moons now and finally just found one covered in grass and trees (not Forrest though) brightly colored. Also found a mostly water planet with high radiation, and giant crab like creatures. Most of the other planets I've been on had mostly dinosaur like creatures. One planet I couldn't find what I needed to take off, and kept getting attacked by these t-rex guys. Found 5 ships so far. Upgraded my suit like 6 times. I'm enjoying it just wish there was more of a story besides just grabbing the next upgrade to move forward. Scale of the planets is still impressive. Gonna be my get high and chill game on weekends Haha.

Played for a few hours today. Been to 8 planets/moons now and finally just found one covered in grass and trees (not Forrest though) brightly colored. Also found a mostly water planet with high radiation, and giant crab like creatures. Most of the other planets I've been on had mostly dinosaur like creatures. One planet I couldn't find what I needed to take off, and kept getting attacked by these t-rex guys. Found 5 ships so far. Upgraded my suit like 6 times. I'm enjoying it just wish there was more of a story besides just grabbing the next upgrade to move forward. Scale of the planets is still impressive. Gonna be my get high and chill game on weekends Haha.

Any really harsh planets so far that lowered your suit protection considerably faster than others? Not having launch fuel components immediately available sounds good.

Betty

Banned
I started on a frost planet that went even colder at night, and the next planet had extreme radioactivity coupled with storms of acid rain, all of which depleted the hazard protections sharply.

Rsinart

Any really harsh planets so far that lowered your suit protection considerably faster than others? Not having launch fuel components immediately available sounds good.

Yeah I've been on planets with harsh cold Temps, hot Temps, radiation so far, each of those effects your suit differently. Then depending on if it's day or night can also effect it, at night on colder planets the temp drops. Storms often result in your suit dropping. The last planet I found that's covered in grass and trees has nothing extreme I've seen so far. Pretty peaceful.

I started on a frost planet that went even colder at night, and the next planet had extreme radioactivity coupled with storms of acid rain, all of which depleted the hazard protections sharply.

Yeah I've been on planets with harsh cold Temps, hot Temps, radiation so far, each of those effects your suit differently. Then depending on if it's day or night can also effect it, at night on colder planets the temp drops. Storms often result in your suit dropping. The last planet I found that's covered in grass and trees has nothing extreme I've seen so far. Pretty peaceful.

Sounds good, thanks.

Water doesn't seem to have physics.

Some oceans are deep.

There are underwater caves but haven't seen any caves that lead underwater that lead to dry caverns.

There are sometimes exotic creatures in caves in general though.

Hard to say how deep into a planet you can go but generally it can be anywhere between a few dozen meters to hundreds of meters depending on the terrain.

And yes there are planets with forests but they seem to be very rare. I've only found one after dozens of planets and it was the one I started on.

13912566_1828385977391570_4762396636282514046_n.jpg

13880302_1828386037391564_3155411115505191084_n.jpg

Thanks. That picture actually looks interesting, unlike the many others that all looked like the same field of nothingness, with animals roaming around.

I doubt we'll see tall, thick trees, or a planet that has multiple biomes (like a huge forest, and then something else).

I know I should keep my expectations in check and that it isnt fair to expect the world, but I was under the impression that planets get more and more diverse/interesting the longer you play.

Any examples of weather?

hollomat

Banned

To make a game of this unbelievably incredible scope, small sacrifices had to be made to get it in by deadline; but patching gives developers endless possibilities.

I'm sure they're already working on huge update 2 that will add tons of more content, bug fixes and things like this.

Yup. Huge update 2 will add multiplayer functionality and the ability to fix all initial complaints. It's truly a great update.

Well, saw how a black hole functions on twitch just now. Freaking cool, dude traveled 33733 light years by entering it. Music was giving it a Star Fox vibe almost.

Where did it send him?

Hate to give a stupid answer, but all I know it he traveled 33733 light years and started exploring some planet after leaving the black hole. Didn't notice anything too crazy. He's bouncing to another planet now, it's the top twitch NMS streamer at the moment.

so, i fell onto the "this might be spore" bandwagon after the first year of being announced and kind of stopped reading about it.

but now, aside from the bugs, everything i'm seeing looks kind of rad?

so, i fell onto the "this might be spore" bandwagon after the first year of being announced and kind of stopped reading about it.

but now, aside from the bugs, everything i'm seeing looks kind of rad?

It's seems so, but since this game is raising so much passion, i think i'll wait the reviews to be sure. But i am pretty confident.

You're going to be real disappointed if you think they are working on an algorithm that calculates every single randomly generated planets randomly generated rotation and axis.

Seiniyta

You're going to be real disappointed if you think they are working on an algorithm that calculates every single randomly generated planets randomly generated rotation and axis.

The code for that isn't actually the hardest. It's really not a matter of if it can be done and more about performance. Especially on the weak CPU of the PS4 I could see them having scrapped to keep a smooth framerate going.

Garland7G

That is alot of assumptions.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Where did it send him?

I went through one that sent me 81,000 light years to another star system. At which point I tossed out my journal of element/planet/star system locations. Never seeing those again, even if they weren't wiping the galaxy out tomorrow.

There are other games that have done it since 1990s (i.e Frontier: Elite II that you could land on), it's not very difficult to do if you generate planetary systems appropriately from the start (i.e not just a scatter of static random planets). I've programmed it myself too for university (since I was also doing astronomy with my compsci studies) although you couldn't seamlessly land on planets, I had to program randomly generated planetary systems that were scaled and accurate.

Elite: Dangerous and the free game Space Engine has procedurally generated planets/systems and they all move in real time (you can speed it up if you want). The sunsets/sunrises are appropriate for its stars, so some that have binary systems you will see two shadows even For example, here's a video of a timelapse in Space Engine.

FWIW I don't think they're going to add it in NMS but it is possible in games.

I earnestly can't tell if this is optimism or sarcasm.

SomTervo

As someone that has been following NMS since its reveal back in December 2013, and seeing your posts in the NMS threads for a bit, I'm super stoked that you're getting a proper crack at everything.

I'm going to go back and drink wine and watch Interstellar now.

Cheers man! Yeah it's exciting.

A point comes, once the game's in hand, where you need to kill your hype. You need to let it die as the game is booting up. Because that way you'll just enjoy the game for what it is.

And so far it is fucking delivering.

I definitely don't agree with Deckard here - but for what it's worth, Sean Murray is on record saying he'd like to implement an update schedule like minecraft - ie substantial free content updates along with QoL improvements. He'd like to keep adding stuff players want. I don't think new mechanics / systems are off the table.

Yeah my second planet was scorching with nasty storms ; had to keep replenishing my life support. Almost died when I got stuck in an arid crevasse.

So i asked in the other thread and got mixed responses.
Does it run at 60fps on PS4 or not?

I was playing in a loud and distracting room - didn't feel like 60 to me but was incredibly stable and smooth. Will try again today and report back.

Could just be i got used to 90 fps on my PC...

Top Bottom