• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No More Heroes: Red Zone Edition -- JPN Port of US PS3 No More Heroes

Nicktals

Banned
Criminal Upper said:
I tested the original NMH on the Wii, I'll break it down like this:

No More Heroes was released in Japan in November 2007 Japan for the Wii, it only came out in an censored format; no gore, and cutcenes were slightly altered.

No More Heroes for NA was released a few months later, in Feb of 2008. It had some bug fixes and all the gore intact.

No More Heroes: Heroes' Paradise was released in Japan for the PS3 and 360 last year. The game was a very buggy port by AQ. This featured pad support for both systems as well as HD visuals. The game had longer load times than the Wii version, screen tearing, and crashes. It did have unlockable costumes for all the girl characters though!

No More Heroes: Heroes' Paradise for NA and PAL was announced to be coming to the PS3 exclusively, with Move support. It was announced to have some bosses from No More Heroes 2, and the character model viewer thrown in for whatever reason. The European version is coming out tomorrow, but there's no definitive date set for the NA version as of yet.

No More Heroes: Red Zone
is the JPN port of the NA version of Heroes' Paradise. This includes the Move Support, NMH2 boses, and the character model viewer that were NOT in the original release of Heroes Paradise for Japan.

Suda 51 and grasshopper have nothing to do with these ports, and Suda has repeatedly washed his hands of it when asked about them in interviews (for good reason)

So, if I'm understanding correctly, Red Zone is a port of a game which has not yet released?

randomwab

Nicktals said:
So, if I'm understanding correctly, Red Zone is a port of a game which has not yet released?

Red Zone is the exact same as the EU/US version of Heroes Paradise, which itself is an improved version of a port of the first game.

Nicktals

Banned
randomwab said:
Red Zone is the exact same as the EU/US version of Heroes Paradise, which itself is an improved version of a port of the first game.

Right, but the NA version of Hero's Paradise hasn't been released yet, right? And apparently RZ is a port of the NA version.

randomwab

Nicktals said:
Right, but the NA version of Hero's Paradise hasn't been released yet, right? And apparently RZ is a port of the NA version.

EU version is the same as the upcoming US version. EU is out tomorrow, US is supposidly out in August. RZ is out either June or July. Dates aside, they're all the same game.

There's also the goofy preorder/first-run-only bonus in Japan that is the extra beam weapon that Travis can wield, like the Beam-Feather-Duster. Anything about that in the European version?

ciD_Vain

cj_iwakura said:
NMH controlled best on the Wii, that's why. Still the best use of the Wii remote in anything ever.
I can mostly agree to this. It controlled awesomely. Though i wished it used the pointer more, or at all (i can't really remember if it did). I think Red Steel 2 and Mario Galaxy used it pretty good too.

cj_iwakura said:
NMH controlled best on the Wii, that's why. Still the best use of the Wii remote in anything ever.

Aren't the Move controls basically the same? I don't see the reason why someone would now only recommend the Wii version after the release of the Red Zone PS3 / US&PAL Heroes' Paradise edition.

Ridley327

SolidusDave said:
Aren't the Move controls basically the same? I don't see the reason why someone would now only recommend the Wii version after the release of the Red Zone PS3 / US&PAL Heroes' Paradise edition.
Well, you didn't need to spend another $100 to play the Wii version as is.

Also, that first 10 minutes video that got posted is not comforting the fears that people had about them not fixing the myriad of technical issues the port got.

daviyoung

Banned
SolidusDave said:

Wouldn't you need two move controllers? The navi controller doesn't have a gyro IIRC. But then, how would you move without an analog stick?

daviyoung said:
Wouldn't you need two move controllers? The navi controller doesn't have a gyro IIRC. But then, how would you move without an analog stick?

I imagine they'll need you to use a DS3/SA for the left hand instead, unless they have some sort of hybrid motion where you use the Move wand for the right hand but still use the analog on the Navcon like it were in controller mode.

I mean, I don't own a Navcon so I'll be using a DS3 anyway, so I'm hoping playing this way will still work like the Wii controls.

Carl

Really enjoying this game! Only played the first 2 bosses, but wow, great fun. Playing with Move controls, they work quite well :). Quite glitchy though - my motorbike thing keeps getting stuck in lamp posts...

RPGCrazied

Anyone that have it, how bad is the screen tearing? A review said its in the game. If its really bad, I'll pass on this.

Carl

RPGCrazied said:
Anyone that have it, how bad is the screen tearing? A review said its in the game. If its really bad, I'll pass on this.

Haven't really noticed any, but then i never notice screen tearing or framerate drops unless they are incredibly bad, so i'm probably not the most trustworth person :p

RPGCrazied

Carl said:
Haven't really noticed any, but then i never notice screen tearing or framerate drops unless they are incredibly bad, so i'm probably not the most trustworth person :p

Do you have a big TV? I guess it can be easier to notice on bigger screens. Mines a 32" 720P samsung.

Ridley327 said:
Well, you didn't need to spend another $100 to play the Wii version as is.

Also, that first 10 minutes video that got posted is not comforting the fears that people had about them not fixing the myriad of technical issues the port got.

If you've got a PAL Wii No More Heroes is censored which is reason enough never to recommend it.

Gokurakumaru said:
If you've got a PAL Wii No More Heroes is censored which is reason enough never to recommend it.
Well, it's both good and bad that it's censored. The good part is that it runs better thanks to the black effect doesn't bog down the Wii as much as all the blood splatter. The bad part is that the boss cutscenes are censored.

Mesijs

Demo is on the EU (Dutch at least) store.

I tried to download it but it doesn't boot up, PS3 crashes instead... Anybody else tried and has some impressions?

Mesijs said:
Demo is on the EU (Dutch at least) store.

I tried to download it but it doesn't boot up, PS3 crashes instead... Anybody else tried and has some impressions?
Played it a few days back. The presentation is stylish and accesible. It's really over the top in terms of violence and gore, full of dirty schoolboy humour. The combat is actually pretty fun, although having to perform a finisher on every enemy was a bit tiresome, as was the way every enemy used the same death meme. It's definatley enjoyable and felt like a true guilty pleasure. A game I'd most certainley pick up in a sale, but wouldn't recommend at full price.
Jigsaw said:
tearing is really really bad,i think i've never seen a game tearing that bad ever before,you have constantly double and triple tearing in the same screen,at least it looks like that,even when nothing happens in the game.
Weird, didn't notice any tearing in the demo. Maybe the demo was super optimized, or I was just having to much fun watching heads explode.

Jigsaw

Banned
i've completed the game yesterday,the new missions are pretty cool,there is a particular one where the game goes dead rising on your ass with like 50 enemies on screen,game drops down to 5fps though when they all explode at the same time xD

tearing is really really bad,i think i've never seen a game tearing that bad ever before,you have constantly double and triple tearing in the same screen,at least it looks like that,even when nothing happens in the game

randomwab

I forgot to post my impressions when I got this.

I've played the original Wii release, the Japanese Heroes' Paradise and this new version.

Compared to the Japanese Heroes' Paradise, this one is a massive improvement. Load times are much shorter, graphics are much cleaner and the colours are much more vibrant, something that was off with the original PS3 release. They've also fixed the shadows in general; the self shadowing in the original release looked awful, it's much more muted and natural now.

Only minus point is the screen tearing. It's noticable, but honestly, it never got so much that it was a problem. And this is coming from a PC gamer who forces V-Sync or D3D on everything I can.

So yeah, grab this version. Also, to quote Eurogamer's amazing review:

So let's put it this way. If you masturbate with any degree of regularity, you'll probably really enjoy No More Heroes: Heroes' Paradise. And you can quote me on that.

Quoted.

Appollowexx said:
Weird, didn't notice any tearing in the demo. Maybe the demo was super optimized, or I was just having to much fun watching heads explode.

There's definitely tearing in the demo, but it's all at the very, very top of the screen so it's understandable that you didn't notice it.

Don

I played through the demo with the Move controller, but not sure how I feel about it yet. The updated graphics are really nice and being uncensored is also great. The censorship in the PAL Wii was terrible and really ruined most of the boss cutscenes.

One issue I had with the Move controller was doing the battery charging motions felt really janky and didn't always register. I don't remember it being that way in the Wii version. I also wish that the Move controller had a speaker like the Wii remote. The phone conversations before the boss fights just aren't the same without it and I also miss how some of the beam katana sound effects would make use of it.

I haven't tried playing with the Dualshock yet, so might try that later today. I think I'll probably pick this version up after the price drops a bit.

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
Don said:
I played through the demo with the Move controller, but not sure how I feel about it yet. The updated graphics are really nice and being uncensored is also great. The censorship in the PAL Wii was terrible and really ruined most of the boss cutscenes.

One issue I had with the Move controller was doing the battery charging motions felt really janky and didn't always register. I don't remember it being that way in the Wii version. I also wish that the Move controller had a speaker like the Wii remote. The phone conversations before the boss fights just aren't the same without it and I also miss how some of the beam katana sound effects would make use of it.

I haven't tried playing with the Dualshock yet, so might try that later today. I think I'll probably pick this version up after the price drops a bit.
I'm curious, how did they handle the wrestling moves with a Move controller since there isn't a motion sensor in both hands?

Don

VideoMan said:
I'm curious, how did they handle the wrestling moves with a Move controller since there isn't a motion sensor in both hands?
The only one I remember doing in the demo just required you to swing the Move in an up/right diagonal motion and that's it. So it seems like they are just removing the motions that you would make with the wii's nunchuck completely.

Bankoiia

I'm playing through it right now, and it controls great with the Dual Shock. Will probably try using Move at some point, but I'm not overly fond of Sony's motion controller to begin with.

The third ranked fight is giving me a hard time, though. I think I've retried this fight seven times and still counting. Can't remember having this much trouble with the original. Any tips for this fight? I honestly don't know what I'm doing wrong.

(Btw, there were no pedestrians in the original right, or am I imagining that the city looks a bit more alive than on the Wii?)

StuBurns

Banned
I played the demo yesterday and I really hated it, made DNF seem Valve quality. I didn't like it on Wii from what I played, but it some how seemed worse. I played with DS3 though, I don't have a move.

Ridley327

Bankoiia said:
I'm playing through it right now, and it controls great with the Dual Shock. Will probably try using Move at some point, but I'm not overly fond of Sony's motion controller to begin with.

The third ranked fight is giving me a hard time, though. I think I've retried this fight seven times and still counting. Can't remember having this much trouble with the original. Any tips for this fight? I honestly don't know what I'm doing wrong.

(Btw, there were no pedestrians in the original right, or am I imagining that the city looks a bit more alive than on the Wii?)
The third ranked fight as in Speed Buster, or the third fight as in Shinobu?

The Wii version had pedestrians, but they had the AI of a soup cracker.

GrayFoxPL

StuBurns said:
I played the demo yesterday and I really hated it, made DNF seem Valve quality. I didn't like it on Wii from what I played, but it some how seemed worse. I played with DS3 though, I don't have a move.

Ow shit! That bad?

Gonna try the demo tomorrow.

cj_iwakura

I love the Wii version, and as awesome as the Wii controls are, I don't see this working on the PS3.

With Move, maybe.

Also, NMH2 isn't aging well. Everything about it makes me miss NMH1.

StuBurns

Banned
GrayFoxPL said:
Ow shit! That bad?

Gonna try the demo tomorrow.
Well it was already a love/hate it kind of game, add clumsily retrofitted controls and terrible visuals and it's a nasty package. I'm sure it's better with Move though.

It had really poor animations and camera views. I also disliked the flows of battles, it just doesn't seem fluid and the game forces you to click R3 every single time, meaning you have to quickly place your thumb correctly or you will just push that thing to the left and losing your kill opportunity. I have more fun watching the bosses die on Youtube. :l

I played the demo as well and except for the slight roll when I want to kill slash because of the analog sticks, I thought the controls were fine. The visuals are an improvement obviously, but they lose some style. Things look like they are shining so to speak. Still it was fun and I will no doubt pick it up and play with the regular PS3 controller.

Jigsaw

Banned
Bankoiia said:

you mean shinobu?i had the same problem,once her hp went almost down she used instant kill crap on me (on easy!),i almost threw my controller at the tv in rage after 3 tries...in score attack later you can kill her in 40 seconds,really weird

some bosses are really frustrating,you beat the crap out of them and then they use some bs quick time event and it's game over

GrayFoxPL

Come on guys, this is very important to me and there's no info online. I'm asking about Heroes Paradise PS3. :/

randomwab

GrayFoxPL said:
I must ask again: Can you reconfigure buttons in this and turn off motion sensor?

What do you mean, on the Dual Shock or the Move? Remap buttons? And turn off motion on the dual shock?

GrayFoxPL

randomwab said:
What do you mean, on the Dual Shock or the Move? Remap buttons? And turn off motion on the dual shock?

On dual shock change the button config(L3, R3) and turn of motion sensor (for "wanking" the sword).

Top Bottom