• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No More Heroes sells well and Suda cries tears of joy

BrodiemanTTR said:
Sorry fella, you're a day late and a dollar short on this one. The game has sold well, has broken 100k in the States, and Marvelous even threw a party to commemorate it. Maybe next time, champ.

But I thought no one had any accurate sales numbers between NPD report months because many stores don't supply weekly data to NPD?

Arde5643

Tyrannical said:
But I thought no one had any accurate sales numbers between NPD report months because many stores don't supply weekly data to NPD?
Oh for the love of god, do you think the president of Marvelous is going to use some fake data to find out the sell-through of his own company's game? :lol

You're frickkin hilarious, man.

That's great! I hope my Wii is fixed by the time this drops in PAL land.

Oh and the stupidity demonstrated by some of the posters in this thread is mindblowing. Uncharted comparisons...again? Will every low-budget Wii third-party game with no advertisement be compared to the huge budget, big ad first-party affair that is Uncharted, only to "proove" the latter is not a bomb? :lol

Tyrannical said:
With NPD putting the actual sales around 60k, I think that's a little more accurate.
And even after 10+ pages. Even if sell-through up until now wasn't 100k but 65k it would still be a huge success.

Arde5643 said:
Oh for the love of god, do you think the president of Marvelous is going to use some fake data to find out the sell-through of his own company's game? :lol

You're frickkin hilarious, man.

I'm sorry. Must have missed the memo when PR annoucements = Gospel. Especially when it comes to sales data posted between NPD reporting periods.

Nekobo

Proud to say I did my part. I'm going to celebrate by finishing the game later today.

Now reward us with more kick ass games, Suda51.

Oh, and have your release parties here...we won't leave you high and dry like in Japan. :)

Odrion

Banned
Nekobo said:
Proud to say I did my part. I'm going to celebrate by finishing the game later today.
Well uh, I feel warm inside for doing this as well.

Hopefully this will inspire developers to be a little bit more "I just spent an hour inhaling carbon monoxide lets DO THIS" with their games.

Banned
Tyrannical said:
I'm sorry. Must have missed the memo when PR annoucements = Gospel. Especially when it comes to sales data posted between NPD reporting periods.
You're not thinking it through. It sold 65k in 12 days. MMV pres announced this 12 days after NPD ended. Even if the sales taper off, chances are it still sold 40k this month. The game did over a 100k. As easy as that.

Tyrannical said:

tce-Nile-River.jpg

Innotech

Banned
Tyrannical said:
You must have also missed the pictures of the party celebrating its success. Im sure MMV threw that party just based on rumors.

Soule

Tyrannical said:
I'll forgive you since you have a pulp fiction avartar :) but people are getting defensive coz it seems like every page someone has to question the numbers and clarify it all over again and some people who have done it are just cockbites :mad: The numbers are definitely legit, now go shout out some Suda love dammit.

BrodiemanTTR said:
http://www.truecolorearth.com/tce-Nile-River.jpg

It took me a while to get it but when I did I smiled.

Seeing those pictures makes me really happy for them, I bet the team had been pretty stressed out after something they obviously put so much love into didn't take in Japan and got that sinking 'not again >_<' feeling.

I'm happy to say I'm playing NMH at the moment and loving it, been following it since its announcement and despite the haters saying it wouldn't sell... it sounds like for once the little guy is doing OK!

Not a bad effort for a bunch of casuals eh? Go team non-gamers!

*raises waggle in victory*

Why are people so quick to try and put down NMH's sales?
Pathetic, if you ask me, it's like they want hardcore games to fail...

Lobster

Banned
AceBandage said:

I think some people came in this thread not quite understanding GrassHoppers situation when it comes to sales.

AceBandage said:

People either came in having no idea who or what GrassHopper is and what their history has been like or they just came in wanting it to fail so they can continue trolling "Wii games don't sell lol!" or "Should have been on 360 hurhur!" so they just dismiss this as nothing to get excited about and pretend its not happening.

Maybe a little of both combined also.

Tyrannical said:
Gee, I'm not a hater :D

I do like the art style, and ummmm, if it did come out on the 360 I'd probably pick it up.

I don't think they are stupid enough to pull a viewtiful Joe 2. Capcom paid dearly for that :D

jgwhiteus

On the "well, NPD's the only possible source for figures so how can he know he sold 100K" thing, I think there are other ways for a publisher to figure out customer sales - like shipment re-orders, for example. I doubt that Ubisoft shipped all 200K units directly at launch, if only because the game seemed to have really limited stock that sold out quickly and a lot of retailers hadn't heard of the game (and I think the rumor was that the first shipment was 50K or something?).

So if Ubisoft has been getting reorders from retailers who are sold out, it isn't hard for Ubisoft to tell Suda "our 1st/2nd/3rd/whatever shipment is sold out and retailers are asking for more; the first 100K+ we've shipped have sold through to customers". And the 50% shipment sell-through (100K of 200K) doesn't make sense in relation to initial limited stock unless there's been a new shipment(s).

OK, now back to celebrating for Suda.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Tyrannical said:

I do like the art style, and ummmm, if it did come out on the 360 I'd probably pick it up.
if you have a Wii, YOU ARE PART OF THE PROBLEM

Neo C.

Innotech said:
better than seeing high budget games selling millions, I love to see the little guys, the tiny budget creative minds selling well. Its fucking awesome that Suda hedged his bets on the Wii and ended up winning. But not as awesome as the game itself :D
The next low-budget game I want to see succeeding is this:
1435261343_b1ee91a515_o.jpg

They better bring it to Europe, where little games are doing well (see Z&W).

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Neo C. said:
The next low-budget game I want to see succeeding is this:
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1348/1435261343_b1ee91a515_o.jpg[IMG]
They better bring it to Europe, where little games are doing well (see Z&W).[/QUOTE]
oh they will bring that to europe. you guys have Rising Star after all...

i'm worried about a US release. i would personally like to see Nintendo publish it with a dual language audio track like Odin Sphere was.

Crusade

Tyrannical said:

Watch out, people have gotten banned for saying that in this thread

GDGF

Soothsayer
Great news. I got a few friends to buy this game and they love it. Personally, my favorite part was all the
Star Wars
type fan service near the end. Great freaking game.

Congardulation Suda. This game really deserve to sell.

I haven't had much fun with an action game for a long time although I'm not a fan of (Violence X Comedy) but this game made me reconsider.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Amir0x said:
army of technical problems

Hyperbole. My bike got stuck on fence once. That's it.

soul-crushingly boring mini-games

Again. Hyperbole much? (yes, I'm aware that's grammatically incorrect) They're actually quite fun, although I'll admit the mine sweeping one sucks.

fighting wave and wave of enemies is admittedly OK but eventually gets thin by the fourth or fifth assassin.

OK? More like freaking awesome. The bosses get better with every fight. The gameplay and story gets better with every encounter.

Story as well left me just cold.

Then I think your sense of humor is lacking.

I will give the game props as to having the only good use of the wiimote speaker to date with those phonecalls.

The only good use? Gimme a break. How many Wii games have you played?

140.85 said:

Again. Hyperbole much? (yes, I'm aware that's grammatically incorrect) They're actually quite fun, although I'll admit the mine sweeping one sucks.

OK? More like freaking awesome. The bosses get better with every fight. The gameplay and story gets better with every encounter.

Why are you doing this?!

YOU'RE FEEDING AN UNSTOPPABLE MONSTER!!!

IT WILL DEVOUR YOUR SOUL, AND MAKE MERRY SPORT OF YOUR MOTHER!

It's too late...

All hope is lost.

Amir0x

Banned
140.85 said:

I guess you don't really know what "technical problems" include. Hint: You literally BOUNCE OFF CARS since there is NO FUCKING COLLISIONS whatsoever, and the framerate is so awful that I frequently had to turn the game off to take a break.

140.85 said:

Not a single one is even remotely fun, unless the standards of what fun is has been lowered to catastrophically low levels. Whacking trees for coconuts? Get the fuck out of here.

140.85 said:

No, more like OK. It's not particularly deep, and eventually it becomes tedious and repetitive. Some people have said if you don't like Dynasty Warriors, it's not a surprise you don't like this. Maybe that's true? But it just wore out its welcome by the fourth assassin.

The boss fights are always cool, but there are only a set amount in the game and you have to fight your way through all the rest of the awful content to get there.

140.85 said:

No, I have a feeling that's not it.

140.85 said:

Not that many, I admit.

WiiCollectionSmall.jpg

NiGHTS.jpg

NoMoreHeroesSucks.jpg

+Zelda, WiiSports, Ghost Squad

jarrod

Banned
doomed1 said:
oh they will bring that to europe. you guys have Rising Star after all...

i'm worried about a US release. i would personally like to see Nintendo publish it with a dual language audio track like Odin Sphere was.
In Atlus we trust...

Amir0x said:
You literally BOUNCE OFF CARS since there is NO FUCKING COLLISIONS whatsoever, and the framerate is so awful that I frequently had to turn the game off to take a break.

Lack of the collision behavior you would prefer is not a technical problem. The framerate can be annoying but it's not ZOMG I CANT PLAY THIS annoying.

Not a single one is even remotely fun, unless the standards of what fun is has been lowered to catastrophically low levels. Whacking trees for coconuts? Get the fuck out of here.

Well you're wrong. There are degrees of fun. One does not need to lower standards to experience gradations in experience. I find them fun. Not as fun as other elements in the game but fun nonetheless.

No, more like OK. It's not particularly deep, and eventually it becomes tedious and repetitive. Some people have said if you don't like Dynasty Warriors, it's not a surprise you don't like this. Maybe that's true? But it just wore out its welcome by the fourth assassin.

This is the opposite of my experience. The visceral over-the-top nature of the combat, which is surprisingly deeper than it seems at first glance never gets tedious. Every deathblow is satisfying and every boss stage is different from the last not only in structure but also in it's difficulty.

The boss fights are always cool, but there are only a set amount in the game and you have to fight your way through all the rest of the awful content to get there.

Well, that "awful" content (it isn't) makes it that much more rewarding when you get to the bosses.

*lots of images that prove nothing*

Well thank you for answering my question about how many Wii games you've played. But I'm afraid you missed the point. It doesn't change the fact that other games use the speaker in a cool way and that you're exaggerating.

I really wouldn't bother. I almost entirely differ in tastes from Ami, but I know him well enough to say this: the dude knows what he likes and knows what he dislikes, and no force in heaven, hell, or Earth is going to budge his opinions one iota.

You're best off taking a pill on the convo and going and playing some vids.

Amir0x

Banned
140.85 said:
Lack of the collision behavior you would prefer is not a technical problem. The framerate can be annoying but it's not ZOMG I CANT PLAY THIS annoying.

It's not a technical problem that, when driving a vehicle and you encounter another vehicle, you literally BOUNCE THE FUCK OFF IT? Well, then, however you want to label it - egregious gameplay flaw or technical problem - it's still really fucking bad.

140.85 said:
Well you're wrong. There are degrees of fun. One does not need to lower standards to experience gradations in experience. I find them fun. Not as fun as other elements in the game but fun nonetheless.

Well ok, you ARE absolutely right. There are certainly gradations. No More Heroes mini-games are definitely on the scale of fun somewhere. Here is an artist rendering of where that "somewhere" is:

FunSpectrum.jpg

140.85 said:
This is the opposite of my experience. The visceral over-the-top nature of the combat, which is surprisingly deeper than it seems at first glance never gets tedious. Every deathblow is satisfying and every boss stage is different from the last not only in structure but also in it's difficulty.

Well, that's good for you. I'm clearly not you, which I guess is not so much of a shock as it is fucking obvious. Like I said, the God of War's, Ninja Gaiden's and Devil May Cry's of the world are awesome, visceral, AND supremely deep - and so I don't really feel the need to sacrifice anything. No More Heroes felt pretty unfun by comparison by, once more, the fourth or fifth assassin fight. To me. But as established, you're definitely not me!

140.85 said:
Well, that "awful" content (it isn't) makes it that much more rewarding when you get to the bosses.

Perhaps, but I'd rather skip games which force me to play hours of terrible content to get to the few fantastic moments. if you're different that's cool, I'm not judging you!

140.85 said:
Well thank you for answering my question about how many Wii games you've played. But I'm afraid you missed the point. It doesn't change the fact that other games use the speaker in a cool way and that you're exaggerating.

uh you specifically questioned what my experience was with the Wii speaker, and this list of games shows pretty clearly that my opinion on what good uses there have been of it so far is not based on empty experience. I have played tons of Wii games, and the Wii speaker has been criminally underutilized (thankfully, because the quality is so horrific), but in this one game it was used in a way that was actually pretty cool.

Segata Sanshiro said:
I really wouldn't bother. I almost entirely differ in tastes from Ami, but I know him well enough to say this: the dude knows what he likes and knows what he dislikes, and no force in heaven, hell, or Earth is going to budge his opinions one iota.

You're best off taking a pill on the convo and going and playing some vids.

I hear that. Good idea.

Now that we know No More Heroes will sell at least moderately well, do you want a sequel? I honestly think I would rather they make a sort of revision to the original, or special edition, with the battle against Helter Skelter included, improved graphics, improved overworld, better collision detection, better quality wii remote audio if at all possible, etc.

Maybe Sega will let him do a Jet Set Radio with swords and ninjas on rocket skates.
I would so break down and buy a Wii for that game.

bigmakstudios said:
Now that we know No More Heroes will sell at least moderately well, do you want a sequel?

of course i want a sequel

bigmakstudios said:
I honestly think I would rather they make a sort of revision to the original, or special edition, with the battle against Helter Skelter included, improved graphics, improved overworld, better collision detection, better quality wii remote audio if at all possible, etc.

no dont look back. it would be nice if those flaws werent in the game but dont waste time in perfecting it. just make a sequel where you fix those problems.

Penguin

Amir0x said:
You know I can deal with your dislike of games that is your problem.
And I can deal with your variety of taste.
I can not however support your Mario Party 8! Why the hell isn't that in a trash bin or a toilet or something?

Amir0x

Banned
Penguin said:
You know I can deal with your dislike of games that is your problem.
And I can deal with your variety of taste.
I can not however support your Mario Party 8! Why the hell isn't that in a trash bin or a toilet or something?

I hate many of these games. Wii Play, Mario Party 8, Wario Ware... I purchased all three for the occasional visits made by my sisters and mother, who pretty much begged for me to buy them so they could play. Mario Party, Wario Ware and Pikmin 2 are basically all they played on Gamecube.

Top Bottom