• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No More Heroes sells well and Suda cries tears of joy

Penguin

Amir0x said:
I hate many of these games. Wii Play, Mario Party 8, Wario Ware... I purchased all three for the occasional visits made by my sisters and mother, who pretty much begged for me to buy them so they could play. Mario Party, Wario Ware and Pikmin 2 are basically all they played on Gamecube.

That's okay I guess.
I only got the Mario Parties as gifts because my friends in college would enjoy playing.
As apparently its a game that works no matter your... er condition.
But 8 was a tad disappointing. Took away the 8 player which would have worked well with a 2 piece controller.
Still no friggin online.
They have yet to find a way to actually speed up the friggin game.
I don't know.

Wario Ware is cool though.
Haven't played Wii Play and really don't need an extra controller yet

But this is about NMH I guess.
Go Suda!
Now I wonder if Ubisoft would consider any type of push.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
and now this thread is complete. frankly, i was starting to get a bit worried at one point, and thought it was all a scam with a photoshopped suda holding a glass, etc. but it's all right now, and i rest assured.

You may not be able to ignore Amirox, but you can put me on ignore very easily.

That being said, even though I didn't get on with NMH, it's a game I really wanted to succeed, meaning I'm more than happy at this news! I usually love Suda51's titles, so the more money the studio make and the longer they can stay afloat, creating awesome software for us, the better.

MidiSurf

Banned
Well i'm glad it sold well. First i wasn't big fan of this game but after a while i really got in to it and now i can't stop playing it. Good game deserves good sales.

Innotech

Banned
Neo C. said:
The next low-budget game I want to see succeeding is this:
1435261343_b1ee91a515_o.jpg

They better bring it to Europe, where little games are doing well (see Z&W).
if it gets licensed in the US, day fucking ONE.

KevinCow

Banned
Tmac said:
Depends on how much it cost to make. You can have a high profitable game @100k sales, while 500k seller turning a big loss.
Why bump a day old thread just to answer a question that's already been answered twenty times and argued about for six pages?

NolbertoS

Amir0x said:
WiiCollectionSmall.jpg

NiGHTS.jpg

NoMoreHeroesSucks.jpg

+Zelda, WiiSports, Ghost Squad

After seeing your Nights in the Garbage Bin and No more Heroes in the Toilet, makes me shudder to think what abuse game covers have gone through when bidding on ebay for used games. I wouldn't touch your copy of No More Heroes, even if you gave it to me for free.

FooTemps

Amir0x said:
*various posts and pics*

blah blah blah "posts above you" screw you for keeping nmh in the toilet and wiiplay/mario party with your good games. just felt like sharing what everyone thinks

Innotech

Banned
NolbertoS said:
After seeing your Nights in the Garbage Bin and No more Heroes in the Toilet, makes me shudder to think what abuse game covers have gone through when bidding on ebay for used games. I wouldn't touch your copy of No More Heroes, even if you gave it to me for free.
Do you realize that as you are typing that, millions of tiny mites are feasting away on your flesh?

Threi said:
Anyone who likes Metroid Prime 3 is good in my book.

Definitely Metroid Prime 3 Corruption has the best FPS controls for a console (not PC) ever. I started the original Metroid Prime some days ago and I found the Gamecube controller archaic in comparison.

Retro did a damn good Job even with art design. I'm only a little bit disappointed by lack of esploration versus Prime. And I hated the initial presence of the other bounty hunters and the Galactic Federation.

So, for next Metroid, I would like to see a return to desolation and dramatic isolation like in Prime.

But outside these things, a very good game. It deserves a 9.0-9.5.

But this discussion has nothing to do with the thread. It was just a random observation.

I'm very happy that NMH sold quite well and I hope that another game with the same style will appear on Wii.

Soule

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Definitely Metroid Prime 3 Corruption has the best FPS controls for a console (not PC) ever. I started the original Metroid Prime some days ago and I found the Gamecube controller archaic in comparison.

Retro did a damn good Job even with art design. I'm only a little bit disappointed by lack of esploration versus Prime. And I hated the initial presence of the other bounty hunters and the Galactic Federation.

So, for next Metroid, I would like to see a return to desolation and dramatic isolation like in Prime.

But outside these things, a very good game. It deserves a 9.0-9.5.

But this discussion has nothing to do with the thread. It was just a random observation.

I'm very happy that NMH sold quite well and I hope that another game with the same style will appear on Wii.
Haven't people claimed that there's a different game on Wii which has superior controls to Metroid? Like Call of Duty or something, I can't remember.

FooTemps said:
blah blah blah "posts above you" screw you for keeping nmh in the toilet and wiiplay/mario party with your good games. just felt like sharing what everyone thinks

Pretty much.

Soule said:
Haven't people claimed that there's a different game on Wii which has superior controls to Metroid? Like Call of Duty or something, I can't remember.

Yup, Medal of Honor Heroes 2.

Corruption is the better game though.

Johnkers

Medal of Honor.

Personally I'm not huge on the Metriod controls, they work but in no way to me are they better then good old dual sticks

Sagitario

Sam's Club... in México...
I couldn't believe that the game was cheaper here than anywhere else... Ubisoft Mexico <3 <3 <3...

Porridge

Best part about this whole episode of Amirox putting No More Heroes in the toilet... he had to reach back in to get it again.

NMH is too tough to flush. Sorry bud.

StevieP

Banned
Johnkers said:
Medal of Honor.

Personally I'm not huge on the Metriod controls, they work but in no way to me are they better then good old dual sticks

"Good old" dual sticks? Your entire statement, in the context of FPS, is an oxymoron.

And Amir0x just saved his game!

WarLox

masud said:
Dude you really need that proven to you? Use some critical thinking.

oh.. so you "dont" have any proof... so why is everyone stating "low budget" as a fact, as if they read it somewhere...

Blue Dragon sold like crap.. so that means LO was low budget too... by GAF logic :lol

wsippel

Banned
WarLox said:
prove this statement... everyone keeps crying low budget... i need some links..
Look at the game. Look at Grasshopper. Look at their track record, the marketing campaign, the publisher. And then tell me it had a comparable budget.

WarLox said:
prove this statement... everyone keeps crying low budget... i need some links..
You don't need links, just play the game for proof. Either there was a low budget or Suda and his team suck on a technical level. Though there is the possibility of both.

JudgeN

WarLox said:
oh.. so you "dont" have any proof... so why is everyone stating "low budget" as a fact, as if they read it somewhere...

Blue Dragon sold like crap.. so that means LO was low budget too... by GAF logic :lol

I was wondering this same thing too Suda may get $10 or less a copy sold to retailers, but there is no way 100k sales is profit. I would imagine this game cost at least 4-5M to make, not saying its not a success compared to his other games because it is but this 100k = good sales mess needs to quit.

WarLox said:

Jesus Christ...

I was wondering this same thing too Suda may get $10 or less a copy sold to retailers, but there is no way 100k sales is profit. I would imagine this game cost at least 4-5M to make, not saying its not a success compared to his other games because it is but this 100k = good sales mess needs to quit.

Jesus Christ x 2...

While I think a Holocaust denial joke is in poor taste here, wow, some people are really ticked by this game's success. Do you think Marvelous would hold a party, with Suda up at a microphone holding a glass of champagne, to celebrate their game tanking? 100k+ is clearly a big deal for these people, and even if you don't know anything about Suda, Grasshopper, or low budget development -- and, I mean, clearly you don't -- to try and spin this as anything but uncategorical success for Suda and co is just too funny. But please, go on.

Chumly

WarLox said:

:lol :lol :lol

JudgeN said:

Im assuming you guys are just trolling but if your serious......

From another thread, regarding how GM systematically fund their games :

Stumpokapow said:
1) Fairly low budget, virtually no paid advertising,
2) Michigan, Killer7, and Contact all got overseas publication deals that did alright for him even if not for the publishers.
3) Grasshopper developed a few for-profit titles to help fund Suda's money-losers. Shining Soul for GBA was developed by Grasshopper for SEGA.
4) Grasshopper also does sound design and music for other companies; mostly shovelware, Simple2000 stuff, etc.

GamerWiki has Grasshopper as founded with only 10million yen capital, which is about 100k dollars. So obviously there's been investment since then or the combination of the four previously mentioned factors have been enough to keep the company going. He's got 40 employees or something working for him (GamerWiki says 30 but that's outdated.)

Unlike the movie industry, video game publishers don't fund loss leaders for critical acclaim--which, by the way, Suda doesn't get a lot of from the vast majority of media. They fund loss leaders for research, but Grasshopper as such shoddy programmers that I highly doubt there's most salvageable tech from any of Suda's stuff.

D.Lo said:
Extremely low budgets. He did a talk at a conference in Australia that I covered (and I spoke to him at the conference and at a cafe, translated by Tetsuya Mizuguchi!). Right from the start the games have been made on shoestrings, he spoke about creating a 'window' system for his early adventure games so visuals would be lower res and save money. Killer 7 was magnificent use of an extremely small budget and limited tech, but most of his other games are pretty 'b-grade' - as in they look like budget titles.

I thought this needed a reminder...

Top Bottom