• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No More Heroes sequel announced for Switch [Up: Will begin development soon.]

KyleCross

Shouldn't you wait until it's out of even the planning/concept stage? It's a late 2018/early 2019 game.

This is like you pre-ordering the 3DS for Mega Man Legends 3 lol (and that game had a 'demo' build)

...and I totally did. Ended up never playing my 3DS as a result.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
-a rough concept of this game will be "killing one's past". Grasshopper will celebrate their 20th anniversary next year and Suda wants to project himself "burying the past" onto Travis.

This is so Suda and also very No More Heroes. Love it.

I like every boss in NMH2 besides the final one, which is terrible.

Its the story and themeing where the game truly suffers not being a full Suda 51 joint. It's an okay imitation, and obviously they ran some things by him, but you know playing it something just isn't right.
A part of me really wishes the game ended at Alice. I hated everything about Jasper

A part of me really wishes the game ended at Alice. I hated everything about Jasper

Nathan and then Alice seem like great bookends on what could have been an amazing game like the first if most of what was between them and then after her wasn't trash. I was really down on the game up until I started Alice's level and right from the start it felt like something was back. That long slow walk the the level start with just the wind blowing and music.

Dascu

If that cooperation with indie devs materializes, then I really expect a Hotline Miami-inspired character design or cameo.

Here's his Switch presentation 'speech' in full by the way:
https://twishort.com/cc9lc said:
YEAH!
Oh, that didn't go well.

Hi everyone, I'm Goichi Suda from Grasshopper Manufacture.
Today, on January 13th, I've been invited to this, well, not ”exhibition", but ”special match" here in Ariake.
I'd like to talk about a certain game.
Allow me to read it off.
Does everyone remember the guy from Santa Destroy who came into this world ten years ago through the team-up between Marvelous and Grasshopper?
That's right – Travis Touchdown.
Switch!
It's not coming up...
Show the picture, please.
There it is.
This legendary dark star is making his comeback on the Nintendo Switch.
I can't tell you the title of the game just yet, and this is a bit off-topic, but last year I spent the whole year going to gamer-based events such as PAX and Bit.Summit in Kyoto. Throughout that time I spoke with lots of indie creators about all kinds of stuff, and they'd be like, ”Hey Suda, what's up with the Nintendo Switch?" Well, at the time I believe it was called the ”NX", but I'd say ”I have no idea, but I'm looking forward to it." And lots of people would go ”C'mon man, tell us something! Apparently the development environment makes it really easy to make games, right?" So I'm like ”Hey wait a second, I've got a nondisclosure agreement with Nintendo, I can't talk about it," and we'd go through little skirmishes like that. Anyway, both Japanese and worldwide indie creators are really interested in the Switch and I think the development environment matches perfectly. It's got great compatibility and I felt like it could become a sort of bridge between indie and major games. And as for the game I'm making now, I plan to make the sort of game that will be a real kind of singularity for indie games and the Nintendo Switch. Travis will be right up at the forefront. Like a collaboration between Travis and an indie star... Or to put it more simply, in pro wrestling terms, like a collaboration of a really hardcore style + a good ol' death match, maybe? That's not exactly it... To compare it to Fire Pro Wrestling... Sorry, I can't really explain it well, but anyway, Travis is gonna be coming back to rock out on the Nintendo Switch.
This has been Goichi Suda of Grasshopper Manufacture.
Thank you very much. YEAH!
Switch LOVE!!

Zolo

This is like you pre-ordering the 3DS for Mega Man Legends 3 lol (and that game had a 'demo' build)

This one stings. I enjoy my 3DS, but this was one of the reasons for originally getting it.

Luigiv

If that cooperation with indie devs materializes, then I really expect a Hotline Miami-inspired character design or cameo.

I understand the translator's plight now. lol

Nerazar

I understand the translator's plight now. lol

Yeah, it was surreal :D And I suppose they didn't provide him with his text beforehand...

@News: So the game will not come out until 2018 / 2019 :( Too bad, I love NMH and it always improves the lineup to have it. Especially with the HD rumble thing...

Reisläufer

Neo Member

I also took a listen to what Suda was talking about at the conference and I can say that this is a very good translation though I have a few things to add:

- at the end when Suda tries to give an explanation of what the game will be about: the translator used the word "collaboration" for Japanese "kyou'en" while I'd rather use "costarring" [another possibility would be that Suda meant "competition / contest on stage" since the two words are homophones in Japanese]

- Suda first links the concept of "Travis costarring with an indie star" to what he calls in pro wrestling terms "Strong Style" costarring with "Death Match" [both terms refer to certain wrestling styles that were popular in japan; found info on this on reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/2xzbgx/guide_to_japanse_wrestling_styles/]

That brings us to his second analogy in the context of the Fire Pro Wrestling video game series developed by Human Entertainment, the now defunct Japanese firm Suda worked at in the 90s (he among others directed one of the Fire Pro Wrestling games). The translator left this out:

- Costarring of Saeba and Okita: he refers to two fighters appearing in the game: Saeba Akira (after real world wrestling fighter Maeda Akira who admittedly was involved in the "Shoot Style" according to the reddit source not the "Strong Style") and Okita Katsushi (dito, Onita Atsushi who was the founder of the "Death Match" style)

Was really no wonder that the translator on the live show went into panic mode. Those references are as obscure as it gets and Suda didn't articulate well either.

Dascu

Yeah, it was surreal :D And I suppose they didn't provide him with his text beforehand...

@News: So the game will not come out until 2018 / 2019 :( Too bad, I love NMH and it always improves the lineup to have it. Especially with the HD rumble thing...

I think late 2018 is feasible, even if they only start now. They have plenty of expertise already with character action games, it's an established franchise. They don't need to re-invent the wheel in terms of gameplay, art or world design. They have experience with UE3 (Killer is Dead) and UE4 (Let It Die). Either of those engines could work on the Switch.

Plus they're still a 100-man studio and they don't have any other (announced) titles other than post-release support for Let It Die.

peakish

NMH1 still had one of the best uses of the wiimote of ANY game, between the slashes, wrestling moves and phone call on the speaker (the first time it happened I was blown away )
Yeah, it was really good because it didn't overuse the slashes. They felt more like punctuation marks to a kill which was very satisfying. Didn't care for how you used it to change stances but eh, top stuff overall.

Celine

-they will try to incorporate the HD rumble feature: "Look forward to how Travis is going to charge his sword"

tTc9cKQ.gif

On a more serious note:
I still can't believe we are getting a new No More Heroes and Bomberman.

Nachos

-the pose Suda did during his presentation was the "Puroresu LOVE" pose (google "プロレスloveポーズ")
Pro Wrestling love pose. [(プロ)(レス)リング]

Personally I was disappointed in the NMH2 bosses (apart from Alice and Margaret, obv), and the soundtrack underwhelmed me.
NMH2's soundtrack is actually one of my favorites of all time, but strictly as a standalone album. So much of it is explosive and packed with manic energy, but somehow its use in the game saps it of most of that. It's a shame, because the album feels very, very punk in spirit, even when most of the songs aren't even in that genre.

I do hope NMH3's soundtrack is closer to 1's, though, just because it was so good at setting the tone of the game.

cj_iwakura

tumblr_m3mkn4i4oh1qj5jqso1_400.gif

This was me during the announcement on stage.

Nice timing on the skip prompt.

It would have been gut-wrenching, but if NMH2 actually had the stones to
really have Sylvia, Shinobu, and Henry's severed heads on display
, that would have been a real Suda moment.

It's well known he tends to kill off the cast of previous games, hence 'Kill The Past'.

Hype for the game, but announcing something not even developed in any way? Don't know what's worse, announcing this game or dude from SEGA showing up just to say 'we have games coming'. Nintendo gave these guys months to show up with something. We got a picture. ☹️

cj_iwakura

Hype for the game, but announcing something not even developed in any way? Don't know what's worse, announcing this game or dude from SEGA showing up just to say 'we have games coming'. Nintendo gave these guys months to show up with something. We got a picture. ☹️

That picture was more hype than anything else in the conference.

Despera

Banned
NMH3 is cool and all but there was absolutely no reason to have Suda up there when all he has to show for it is a picture.

They needed to focus on actual games, preferably what you could play come March 3rd.

These 4 year ahead announcements of games are the bane of the industry
Agreed. There should be a rule to not announce a game unless there's something substantial to show and 1 year or less of expected development time.

nampad

So Nintendo had nothing to show that they had to get Suda51 on stage to announce a game which hasn't even started development? I know that this happens somewhere else too but the launch lineup of the Switch is abysmal.

NMH2's soundtrack is actually one of my favorites of all time, but strictly as a standalone album. So much of it is explosive and packed with manic energy, but somehow its use in the game saps it of most of that. It's a shame, because the album feels very, very punk in spirit, even when most of the songs aren't even in that genre.

I do hope NMH3's soundtrack is closer to 1's, though, just because it was so good at setting the tone of the game.
Very ironic that for a punk rock-inspired game, it was the electronic and ambient music of the first game that really set the tone and soul for the title. You're definitely right that NMH2's music is, on its own merits, very good music with punk inspirations.

But that added layer of trance/EDM is what gave that ethereal and cosmic vibe to the first title. Subuta 1 is the best track in the sequel because it's the only one that captures that mystic vibe, and that's largely because it was a guest contribution from Yamaoka.

jmizzal

I think it can come by Fall 2018, he said in an interview development was starting right away, so thats 2 years, thats about how long Let it Die took.

I think late 2018 is feasible, even if they only start now. They have plenty of expertise already with character action games, it's an established franchise. They don't need to re-invent the wheel in terms of gameplay, art or world design. They have experience with UE3 (Killer is Dead) and UE4 (Let It Die). Either of those engines could work on the Switch.

Plus they're still a 100-man studio and they don't have any other (announced) titles other than post-release support for Let It Die.

Yup and Unreal 4 is supposed to be easy to develop on Switch, plus this wont be some huge AAA game.

On a more serious note:
I still can't believe we are getting a new No More Heroes and Bomberman.
Someone said that Nintendo wants to position the Switch as a device that, "gets back to their roots."

I sort of expect lots of retro revivals and a greater focus on arcade-like experiences. Perhaps more collaborations with indie studios as well.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Someone said that Nintendo wants to position the Switch as a device that, "gets back to their roots."

I sort of expect lots of retro revivals and a greater focus on arcade-like experiences. Perhaps more collaborations with indie studios as well.

Add the (hoped ) classic portable games and that sounds like a dream

Clov

That picture was more hype than anything else in the conference.

It was a nice moment for sure, but what got me hyped was when I heard that Suda would be writing and directing it again. I've been waiting so long for this!

It's probably going to be a bit of a wait, but I'll at least have the PS4 version of The Silver Case to tide me over.

mortal

Gold Member
Cool, but they should have waited to announce this one. This technically isn't even an actual game yet.

cj_iwakura

They're not good. They all take place in the same ring-style arena, lack context and have zero build up. The few times I replayed Heroes' Paradise I just straight up skipped them.

Figured they were a cheap toss-in. Thanks for saving me the effort of ever playing that version.

Which ones? Kimmy? Copeland?

Top Bottom