• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Quitters Fantasy NFL Football League (Season 8) |OT|

UberTag

No%20Quitters%20Hall%20of%20Champions.png

Season 1
Season 2
Season 3
Season 4
Season 5
Season 6
Season 7
Season 8 (Current) | Yahoo! Fantasy

Draft Date & Time: Tuesday, September 6th at 9:30pm Eastern Daylight Time / 6:30pm Pacific Daylight Time
(Draft order will be randomly determined 30 minutes before draft time.)

LeagueSafe League URL: [url]https://www.leaguesafe.com/join/3543694/no-quitters-8[/URL]

GAF's longest running competitive fantasy football league is back for another season... now in our new home in OT Community with the rest of the sports chatter.

While this is an established league with a great deal of history, it is not a dynasty league. Everyone starts from scratch with a clean slate just like all of the teams in the NFL. Filled with aspirations of being great until reality sets in and you realize you're playing for the Browns or the Bills.

That means we cycle through a number of new owners each and every year. This year will likely be no exception... so if you're interested in joining the frey feel free to express your interest in the thread below and - if there's space - you may wind up contacted by the Commissioner and receive an invitation to join. (That's not me, btw... I just maintain the OT. The Commish is ex-GAF member Cloudy / Konex.)

I'll maintain a wait list of those who have expressed interest in this OP for easy reference. Once we get a sense of how many slots need to be filled with newbies, the top names on the list will get PMed to pass along Email contacts so formal league invites can be issued.

Furthermore, as always, this is a league with actual stakes. We play for Amiibos / Loot Boxes / Gamerscore / Bitcoins / Random Substitute for Dollars that Isn't Dollars But is Actually Dollars. League dues last season were 65 of said unit of measurement up front with the top 4 teams making the money. Did I say money? That's just a metaphor. Yeah... metaphor.

The OP will be updated with LeagueSafe credentials when they go live. There will be a PayPal route for submitting dues for those of you outside of the United States. Dues will be collected prior to the draft.

(If the prospect of losing your shirt terrifies you - or if you have already lost your shirt and just want to play fantasy for fun - you may instead wish to consider joining the Shirtless League. That's the league where all the Browns fans play... and you'll have to deal with Dutch Patriot and his Gronk fixation. Have fun with that!)

As always, previous players get priority. Invites were sent out on April 26th but you can always check in to your Yahoo! fantasy profiles if yours got buried. If you can't find said invite and need it resent, PM me immediately and I'll hook you up.

League Settings

Quick summary - this is a 16-team 14-team head-to-head, 0.5 PPR redraft league with a snake draft and weekly waiver priority determined by team standings (last place team gets to claim first). 8 teams make the playoffs. Return yardage is credited to offensive players as well so be sure to factor that in to your drafting decisions.

Returning for Another Season

Ain't No Losing Bihh {kememsi}
Angel's Superb Team {Sinistar}
Bail Kings GAFcoast {Crazymoogle}
Dinner Out {Cloudy's Cousin}
Ember Island Players {GCQuinton}
Good As Gould {rinker}
Long Island Broskis {UberTag}
Me Lucky Charms {Cloudy / Konex aka The Commish}
Redbull Express GAF {acksman}
Spyders {spyder_ur}
TD's N' Beer {minx88}

New Recruits for 2016

Ameer Lions Fan {Dr.Horrible}
Crispy {VPhys}
Shower Thoughts {IfAllElseFales}

Bishman

Quoting myself from the previous thread.

I propose we move to FAAB for waivers (stop rewarding bad teams with higher priority. Also another strategic element managing your waiver wire budget throughout the season). And adding another flex spot. 2 flex that are (W/R/T).

It will add more skill and more strategies can be implemented drafting your team.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Draft Matthew Stafford, he's going to put up numbers. Do not listen to the "he doesn't have Megatron anymore nonsense" narrative some in the media are talking about.

He's hitting prime QB age at 28 and he finally has some continuity with an Offensive Coordinator who knows what he's doing.

Finished last season:

, to arguably the very best under Cooter in the second half. He threw 19 touchdowns, just two interceptions, completed 70 percent of his passes and compiled a rating of 110.1 in those final eight games. Now Cooter is back for a full season at the helm of the offense, and has time to fully implement his designs.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ss...ing_camp_pr_20.html#incart_river_mobile_index

Ball is going to get spread around a lot for the Lions so I'd be wary of skill players.

rinker

Don't feel passionately because I understand Cloudy's original intent to make the league competitive, but I'm definitely cool with FAAB.

UberTag

Don't feel passionately because I understand Cloudy's original intent to make the league competitive, but I'm definitely cool with FAAB.
Technically, the bottom-feeder teams still benefit even under a FAAB system. They win all the FAAB bid tiebreaks. They get their first choice of all of the $0 players. All FAAB really does is that it rewards owners who exercise discipline so the league's basement dweller doesn't get gifted the #1 waiver target each week as a reward for being terrible.

I threw a poll up on the official league website that league owners can participate in so feel free to chime in with the waiver method you prefer. As always, Cloudy will have the final call as Commish regardless of what the consensus may be - but this is as good an opportunity as any to voice your opinion before the season is underway and changes aren't so easy to implement.

Additionally, here's an informative article you may wish to peruse before weighing in...

Why FAAB Fantasy Football Is Optimal For Leagues - WaiverWarrior.com

Bishman

FAAB should be the standard for all leagues right now. You look at high stakes leagues like the NFCC or FFPC and they all use FAAB.

It gives everyone an equal shot at all players and lets you put a price on what you think their value is. It is a great strategic element.

UberTag

Just a heads up to those of you on the waiting list... I'll be re-sending invites out to the remaining owners from last year over the weekend. After another week goes by, we'll likely have a good sense of how many openings will be up for grabs. I'll start sending PMs out at that time.

Spades

Question for any fantasy commissioners out there (preferably those using Yahoo):

Is there a way to re-order/remove the default draft rankings at all for an online draft?

UberTag

Question for any fantasy commissioners out there (preferably those using Yahoo):

Is there a way to re-order/remove the default draft rankings at all for an online draft?
For your entire league? I don't believe so. Everyone can make their own personal adjustments but I believe you're stuck with the default ranks as they stand regardless of their accuracy. It's up to the individual owners to account for players that may not be ranked accurately in the default ranks due to ineptitude on Yahoo!'s part or to accommodate the league scoring system you have in place.

Bishman

Can we get an update please? I need to start schedule all the leagues I am so there is no conflict of times.

UberTag

Can we get an update please? I need to start schedule all the leagues I am so there is no conflict of times.
I sent an Email to Konex late last week to get the green light to collect contact data for new recruits. Hoping to hear back from him shortly on that as well as firming up a draft date.

My expectation as of right now is we'll be drafting on the evening of August 28th... but I'm merely going by precedent on that.
Obviously if there are conflicts we'll do our best to hash out an alternative.

I'm expecting the LeagueSafe page will go up within the week as well so dues can start being collected.

UberTag

Briefly checking in to pass along that we now have 12 slots filled from our returning teams.
That's the good news.

The bad news is I haven't heard back from Cloudy regarding many of the outstanding issues such as an official draft time and date, getting the LeagueSafe page up and running and the FAAB issue and I'm not prepared to start soliciting for newbies to plug into our league vacancies without locking some of these loose ends down.

Hopefully we'll get some clarity within the next week or so. Sorry I don't have more specifics to pass along. I'll be sure to update this thread as soon as I hear anything.

UberTag

Is there not a slaent league this year?
The SLAENT league is happening this year.
As with this one, still waiting on specifics regarding dues and a draft date.
Specifics relating to that league can be found on the SLAENT forums once they're made available.

On the waiting list front, I'll be sending out PMs soliciting contact Emails for league invites (in batches of 3 in the order that names were added to the wait list) once I get the green light to fill the remaining holes in the No Quitters lineup. Presumably, there may be slots available in the SLAENT league as well although I believe they've already got 15 out of 16 returning teams locked in.

I've been slacking in my draft prep this year given the lack of concrete details in all four of my long-term leagues.

UberTag

If we have enough people can we have two No Quitters leagues?
I certainly don't see why not. Or at least I certainly don't see why another fantasy league can't be started up with the folks on the wait list who fail to get an invite. It won't be No Quitters but if someone's willing to step up and act as a Commish, you'll have a good number of prospective owners ready and waiting to sign up.

Just as a heads up, the OP has been updated with the official LeagueSafe page URL for No Quitters 8. Dues can be processed there as per usual unless you reside outside of the United States in which case you'll need to go the PayPal route.

14 of our 16 slots have been filled by returning players. I've sent out the first wave of PMs to the top of the wait list in hopes that we can fill the remaining slots this week. Next wave will go out on Tuesday if I haven't heard back from them.

Also, the Commish has posted a message board topic over on Yahoo! asking for the hard sell on FAAB to convince him that it will help folks to remain invested in the league and be competitive through 13 weeks versus the current waiver approach of offering the top players on the wire to the teams with the worst records. So feel free to make your pitch if you want FAAB implemented for this season.

Still no hard draft time but it'll be two weeks from today in all likelihood. If you've got a potential conflict or draft window preference, I'd suggest you voice it now as opposed to once the time has been set.

VPhys

Two weeks from today (as in Saturday)? Well I'm not even in the league but if I were I'd pitch Sunday as a better day for the draft.

UberTag

Two weeks from today (as in Saturday)? Well I'm not even in the league but if I were I'd pitch Sunday as a better day for the draft.
I was in the Eastern time zone when I wrote that so I was implying a Sunday draft slot.
But yeah, I can see where that could easily be misconstrued. I'm expecting that we'll be drafting on the 28th.

And you might wind up in the league depending on how far down I manage to go through the wait list before filling those final two holes.

Uber, mentioned this on the league page but I don't see a single mention of a fee or anything, which might affect who's applying.

UberTag

Uber, mentioned this on the league page but I don't see a single mention of a fee or anything, which might affect who's applying.
It's mentioned (at least in this thread's OP). I'm just being coy about it.
It's also being reinforced when I send out PMs for league invites.
Speaking of which, I'll be sending out another 3 later tonight.
And the remaining 4 (unless NYR's ban gets lifted or our spots get filled) on Wednesday night.

The 28th works for me. When can we expect an official time and date?
That's up to Cloudy. I would imagine we'll know shortly.

Blerg, I can't do the fourth at all. To be completely honest I was on the fence about dropping out anyway, so I am giving up my spot to whoever is next in line.

Whoever is the commish please feel free to boot me (Sir Garbageman).

It's been fun gents, good luck to everyone.

UberTag

Blerg, I can't do the fourth at all. To be completely honest I was on the fence about dropping out anyway, so I am giving up my spot to whoever is next in line.

Whoever is the commish please feel free to boot me (Sir Garbageman).

It's been fun gents, good luck to everyone.
Man, I wasn't expecting a draft window that late. That said, I'd prefer that we talk things through before losing people. I'll post up a thread on the league site to gauge how that slot works out for everyone. I mean, hey... if it's bad for everyone, it won't be happening then so don't throw in the towel just yet.

Is that entire weekend bad for you (compared to August 26th-28th) or just that specific day?
I mean, it is the long weekend so I would imagine Labor Day (the 5th) would be a flexible draft spot as well.

Thanks for the invite Uber! I'm all signed up and looking forward to the season.

I'll have to work with whatever, but I would request we do the draft later than the 28th if possible. I'll be traveling that weekend.

VPhys

Thanks for the invite.

Can I throw in the 28th works much better for me for a draft time.

September 4th is the day before a holiday and many people have plans (me) or are out of town.

spyder_ur

FYI, my GAF name is now spyder_ur, in case you want to change the OP. Used to be Schwagger15.

I should be able to make any draft day work as long as it's after 8-9 EST. The 4th and 5th seem problematic for folks though.

Did we ever settle on FAAB and/or a lineup change? It seems like FAAB was a go.

Sinistar

I'm using the league safe URL on the front page but when I'm signed in and click on it I am not shown our league. Nor can I find anywhere to put in the identification number....What am I missing here :( I can paypal if that's ok as well.

UberTag

I'm using the league safe URL on the front page but when I'm signed in and click on it I am not shown our league. Nor can I find anywhere to put in the identification number....What am I missing here :( I can paypal if that's ok as well.
I've updated the link in the OP to properly reflect the modified LeagueSafe site for the league so you should be good to go there.

UberTag

Just a quick heads up reminder to the following teams/owners to cover their dues for the league in advance of next week's draft...

Angel's Superb Team {Sinistar}
Foxhound {Bishman}
Hookers And Blow {Azwethinkweiz}
Seasons {VPhys}

If you've already taken care of things, feel free to ignore this reminder. I'm just going by what the league's Dues tracker is telling me.

Sorry, I didn't know if a final decision regarding FAAB had been made. My plan was to drop if we were going to continue with the old system. If a decision still hasn't been made, you can drop me to get someone who will be in regardless.

Sorry, I didn't know if a final decision regarding FAAB had been made. My plan was to drop if we were going to continue with the old system. If a decision still hasn't been made, you can drop me to get someone who will be in regardless.

I'm assuming we are going with FAAB? Didn't see any negatives to it

UberTag

I'm happy to pass along that a traditional FAAB waiver priority model has been adopted by the league for the 2016 fantasy season.

Sorry I neglected to make a big announcement about it.

Now don't go blowing your entire $100 stash after the first major RB injury of the season, okay? It's all about exercising willpower.

Is the league full up now? Still drafting next Tuesday night? When will we know the draft order?

Sorry for all the ?s, just excited to get this season started.

UberTag

Is the league full up now?
Yes!

Still drafting next Tuesday night?
Yes!

When will we know the draft order?
It will be randomly determined 30 minutes before we draft... so 9pm Eastern / 6pm Pacific. Be sure to account for different strategies you plan to employ depending on whether you draft early in the first round or late.

Sorry for all the ?s, just excited to get this season started.
Nothing wrong with excitement. Or questions. I welcome both!

rinker

Deadbeats are a bummer. I'm cool with 14 though, if we must.

Robbie Gould just got cut so I need a new name...

UberTag

Re-sent invites out to the owners who dropped due to non-payment of dues in case they can get that addressed in advance of drafting tomorrow night.

Also, contacted our final two wait-listers to gauge whether they'd be interested in joining the fray at the last minute.

That's about all I can do. ^^;

spyder_ur

Unless something has changed, I think at this point we should just finalize the league and go to 14. I am asking a couple gaffers if they want to join should we have a spot.

What's the word?

spyder_ur

Uhh so what is going on with the league? Are we rolling with 14 or are we still trying to fill up to 16? I'd like to know given that the draft is in 5 hours.

Top Bottom