• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Quitters Fantasy NFL Football League (Season 8) |OT|

UberTag

Feels weird moving forward into a No Quitters season without our defending league champion but that's looking like it'll be the outcome.
Best of luck to everyone when drafting tonight. Don't forget to set your line-ups ASAP as the season kicks off on Thursday.

VPhys

Got this message in my email:
Draft is at 9et tonight. We are going with 14 this year and prize money will be adjusted

Everyone should note that is incorrect. It is at 9:30ET.

UberTag

DRAFT ANALYSIS TIME

1. (10) A.J. Green (Cin - WR)
2. (19) Devonta Freeman (Atl - RB)
3. (38) Mark Ingram (NO - RB)
4. (47) Greg Olsen (Car - TE)
5. (66) Tyler Lockett (Sea - WR)
6. (75) Marvin Jones Jr. (Det - WR)
7. (94) Eli Manning (NYG - QB)
8. (103) Tevin Coleman (Atl - RB)
9. (122) Corey Coleman (Cle - WR)
10. (131) Kansas City (KC - DEF)
11. (150) Theo Riddick (Det - RB)
12. (159) Tyrod Taylor (Buf - QB)
13. (178) Kenny Stills (Mia - WR)
14. (187) Mason Crosby (GB - K)

1. (5) Jamaal Charles (KC - RB)
2. (28) Brandin Cooks (NO - WR)
3. (37) Jarvis Landry (Mia - WR)
4. (60) Ryan Tannehill (Mia - QB)
5. (69) Jonathan Stewart (Car - RB)
6. (92) Martavis Bryant (Pit - WR)
7. (101) Devin Funchess (Car - WR)
8. (124) Knile Davis (KC - RB)
9. (133) Allen Hurns (Jax - WR)
10. (156) Matt Jones (Was - RB)
11. (165) Larry Donnell (NYG - TE)
12. (188) Vernon Davis (Was - TE)
13. (197) Indianapolis (Ind - DEF)
14. (220) Cameron Artis-Payne (Car - RB)

I'm a lot happier with my draft this year versus last year... although it would be hard not to be happier with the end product with two less people drafting.

For one thing I didn't reach on an unproven QB too early. That's what I did with Tannehill in the 4th round last year and it burned me all season. Juggling quarterbacks and eating roster spots on them in place of more worthwhile waiver claims was a big reason why I missed making the money for the first time.

This time around I waited until the 7th and got Eli. Not a stud by any means but he was QB10 last year, QB9 the year before that and he has a cake schedule with one of the top WRs in the league. Of course, if OBJ gets hurt, I'm screwed... but at least I didn't waste a 4th round pick on him and I have T-Mobile as insurance.

I didn't reach on a rookie receiver too early, either. Drafted Coleman two rounds later... AND - unlike Funchess - Corey's on punt returns. So that's a plus so long as his hammy doesn't flare up again.

In fact, my bench depth last year was garbage... nothing but token handcuffs who hadn't even won the job, TWO subpar Tight Ends (avoided that problem this year by nabbing Olsen) and rookies like Funchess and Matt Jones. You don't want to depend on rookies for bench security... which obviously blew up in my face once Charles went down with a torn ACL in Week 5. Hurns was the only pick in the back end of that draft that paid off... and while my WR depth was nice... it didn't exactly pave the way to claw my back into the race when every team had a stud receiver or two.

This year I have Riddick for bye week coverage (he was RB27 in Quitters last year thanks to his PPR utilization) and Stills on a mess of a Dolphins team with an AWOL DeVante and a regressed Cameron who can't help but drop the ball. I cuffed my stud RB in the same round as I did last year but there aren't other guys behind Tevin Coleman with more talent.

I landed a better defense on the rise. I still pulled the trigger on a return yardage reach but Lockett was WR17 last year thanks to 1,200+ return yards so I'm not sweating that he's still 3rd string receiver behind Kearse. That's the identical spot Landry finished a year prior and, once again, I was able to wait two extra rounds to pull off the move. And, unlike last season when I fell behind early, my 6th round receiver on the rise isn't sitting out a 2-game suspension. I get to use Marvin Jones right away. Losing games early might have been a strategy in the past to land choice waiver picks but not any more in the - long overdue and very welcome - FAAB era.

So yeah, I'm pleased with how this draft turned out.

acksman

Yup you had a killer draft Uber. As you can see, with my results were not the greatest. That was my first time picking last and I had a few strategies, but the players were not falling in the right places. I was reaching all night long it felt like as a player I had targeted that should have fell to me got sniped. Threw me off and from there I second guessed myself after the 3rd round.

First I am always a RB focused drafter, with the last pick it was all WR with the best slots. I reached a few on Jordy, but I trust him the most out of what was available. Martin and Freeman were the RB's available at this point and did not think they were worth a 1st or 2nd pick over the selection of WR.

Third round I reached a bit on L Murray for my first RB, at this point I saw the WR that was coming up and started second guessing me passing on Martin or Freeman. I could have had Edlman, Baldwin, Decker and a couple of others. Instead I panic a bit in the 4th a bit seeing my next pick was way down the line and grabbed a QB.

Anyway, had a few decent picks, but overall picking last in a 14/16 league stinks and I was not ready like I should have been.

UberTag

This was my first year in a long while drafting from the head/tail of a snake draft in my two other deep leagues and I wasn't a fan as it kind of boxed me in to certain value-driven choices I wasn't especially enamored with so I can sympathize with getting shackled with the 14th overall pick. Being in the middle allows you to be much more adaptable to the flow of the draft whereas on the ends you're just grabbing the best two guys that fit your team structure and winging it.

There's almost zero chance of someone you covet getting back to you after two full rounds in a 14 or 16-team format so you really have to get comfortable with settling for plugging whichever holes you can. That said, nabbing both Latavius and Foster when you did was great value and they should be a more than capable starting RB tandem provided Foster doesn't get himself hurt (and you cuffed him wisely in the event that he does).

Timing of picks was crucial this year, for sure. To post my own draft as an example:

QB - Bortles (9th)
I like Bortles but Ameer sniped Brady from me in the 6th round. After that, you might as well wait on guys like Bortles/Tyrod/Carr/etc.

WR1 - Hopkins (1st)
WR2 - Jeffery (2nd)
W/T - Fitzgerald (3rd)

I had no problem going WR heavy in this league but 3 in a row was even alarming to me. I took Fitz because he had way too much value for that draft slot versus an RB2 like Ingram. But I'm sure if I picked even a couple of slots later I would have gone RB instead.

TE - Kelce (4th)
RB1 - Jones (5th)
BN4 - Yeldon (8th)
RB2 - White (11th)

I had to pick TE before RB because I didn't want to carry two TEs (thanks to the small bench in this league) and I had a feeling the every week guys wouldn't last. Sure enough Walker went before my 5th round pick.

Of course, picking WR/TE so heavily obviously poisoned the RB tree. So I have guys with upside, but also pretty strong downside.

BN1 - Sanders (6th)
BN2 - Gordon (7th)
BN3 - Smith Sr. (10th)
BN5 - Mariota (12th)

I feel pretty confident Smith will be back and angrier than ever, but this was an all upside bench. Sanders could get a lot of PPR targets, Mariota could run a lot...or there could be a whole lot of a nothing. The worst thing you can have on the bench is safe plays. Got sniped on Sharpe and that Saints new receiver though. And then got sniped on Dalton...

UberTag

WR1 - Hopkins (1st)
WR2 - Jeffery (2nd)
W/T - Fitzgerald (3rd)

I had no problem going WR heavy in this league but 3 in a row was even alarming to me. I took Fitz because he had way too much value for that draft slot versus an RB2 like Ingram. But I'm sure if I picked even a couple of slots later I would have gone RB instead.

BN1 - Sanders (6th)
BN2 - Gordon (7th)
BN3 - Smith Sr. (10th)

I feel pretty confident Smith will be back and angrier than ever, but this was an all upside bench. Sanders could get a lot of PPR targets, Mariota could run a lot...or there could be a whole lot of a nothing. The worst thing you can have on the bench is safe plays. Got sniped on Sharpe and that Saints new receiver though. And then got sniped on Dalton...
I think it's impossible to argue against you having the deepest wide receiver roster in the league. I mean, Steve Smith puts up WR2 worthy numbers in a deep league format such as this when he's healthy so I don't envy your weekly lineup decisions on which of those guys to start (especially if Gordon winds up back to his old 2013 self). I also think Sanders projections are ridiculously depressed. Dude was the 16th ranked receiver in this scoring format last season with the worst QB in the league not named Colin Kaepernick throwing his way. I have no clue why he has depressed value in the mid-to-low 30s with Siemian. That guy certainly can't be any worse than Old Man Manning hurling him the ball.

You should definitely wind up seeing some worthwhile trade offers heading your way down the line which should shore up any lingering concerns you have on the QB/RB fronts.

acksman

Hello hello hello echo, so quiet I in here.

First half of games done and like what Brees got me. Keeping me ahead of Dinner Out so far. At the Cowgirls game can't wait to see Elliot and Dak go at it for real today.

spyder_ur

If I lose this game because the Rams can't stop Blaine F'n Gabbert and score negative points then I am quitting fantasy football
until next weekend

I feel like I should brag about being the top scoring person on gaf this week, especially since it probably won't happen again.

First place feels good.

UberTag

Man, Dinner Out always makes it a chore to defeat him whenever we match up. I really don't want to fall to 0-3 here.

UberTag

I think the Commish landed a steal by nabbing Terrelle Pryor with only $10 in FAAB investment.
I'd say he's taken to this auction waiver system quite nicely all things considered.

UberTag

I didn't bid, not enough roster space + I have the real Browns receiver

Could be a good play this week though.
I actually had a much more substantial bid on him when waivers closed but then deleted it while weighing my options. I honestly didn't think I could get Pryor for that little.

And the Browns have a lot of "real receivers". I had one too before he got himself hurt for 6 weeks.

Yeah, the absence of bench space really restricts options in this league. And there are LOTS of options now that we're down to just 14 teams.
Even with fringe running backs largely treated as chopped liver given that we can only play two each week.

UberTag

Did everyone quit?! Yall let me pick up Rodgers like he was trash :)
The two RB roster spots, minuscule bench, 0.5 PPR value enhancement and now having less than 16-teams has seemingly made running backs less valuable than ever. Especially for unproven commodities like 'Quizz. Accounting for bye weeks makes it even dicier.

Taking a flier on Rodgers with the Bucs bye week looming probably wasn't high on people's radar even if they had available bench space to work with. I, sadly, did not.

That said, the Commish certainly had a reason to block you from nabbing Rodgers given RBs were your clear area of weakness heading into his matchup with you. Protecting a Dak Prescott (who may only have a single start left and is clear backup fodder) or a gimped Tyler Lockett (whom I discarded after losing patience with him) arguably wasn't worth giving you the free points.

Of course, the ability to scoop up a Rodgers like he was trash should tell people where to spend the bulk of their FAAB dollars (not on running backs).

Incidentally, you're doing a whale of a job making mincemeat out of your opposition this year. It's like folks have already forgotten that you won the league two years ago.

acksman

Uber you always have great insight and usually pick up who I am going after on waivers!

To be honest, my SOS is what got me here. I am about to hit a patch though where some teams have a chance to catch up unless I can do some maneuvers.

I have gone undefeated before in other leagues just to lose the championship game, so it is mainly week to to week. Can't control some of the crazy outcomes like this past weekend.

UberTag

A lot of exciting fantasy matchups in the league this week.

acksman's unbeaten Redbull Express face their stiffest challenge to date in the form of rinker's top-scoring Good As Gould squad. No Quitters rookie Dr.Horrible could wind up atop the leaderboard with his Ameer Lions Fan team should the unbeaten streak fall.

minx88 and IfAllElseFales square off in a bid to end their respective 4-game slides.

The two most active owners in the league in terms of roster rotation meet up in a battle between the Comissioner and the Co-Commissioner.

And I'm looking forward to seeing how Crazymoogle's bold FAAB investments in both this and the SLAENT league this morning pay off as he looks to right his fantasy ship from two 2-4 starts.

And I'm looking forward to seeing how Crazymoogle's bold FAAB investments in both this and the SLAENT league this morning pay off as he looks to right his fantasy ship from two 2-4 starts.

TBH it was time to buy. Michael Thomas had absurd value and maybe gives me room to deal Jeffery or Dhop. Gillislee may end up playing for me this week too; the downside of having scrubs at RB all season.

UberTag

TBH it was time to buy. Michael Thomas had absurd value and maybe gives me room to deal Jeffery or Dhop. Gillislee may end up playing for me this week too; the downside of having scrubs at RB all season.
I'm legitimately floored Thomas was even dropped - seriously entertained dropping the rest of my FAAB budget on him. I only put out a respect bid due to being strapped budget-wise compared to the rest of the league and it's not like I'm hurting for depth right now. I was more sick that Meredith went for so little last week than anything else.

UberTag

Willing to deal Matt Ryan if anyone has interest.
Nabbing Jeffery for your backup QB could pay huge dividends down the road if he breaks out of decoy mode. Those early fantasy playoff games against the Lions and Packers are sweet. Doubt you could have done any better on the trade front than you did there.

UberTag

I'm electing to break with form and will be trotting out BOTH Falcons Running Backs against the Commish this weekend.
First time I've started Tevin Coleman all season. Couldn't resist that cake matchup against the Chargers.

It'll be nice to have a weekend where I don't have to guess what creative new way the Saints will discover to vulture a goal-line score away from Ingram, too.

Nabbing Jeffery for your backup QB could pay huge dividends down the road if he breaks out of decoy mode. Those early fantasy playoff games against the Lions and Packers are sweet. Doubt you could have done any better on the trade front than you did there.

I was pretty happy with it. And yeah, with Brady back Ryan was likely to just ride the bench the whole season so better something than nothing (except for the bye week coverage).

UberTag

Not liking the way this week has started off. Montgomery got stalled at the 1-yard line and Cloudy's gambit with the Packers D (whom I also considered but wanted to hold on to the Rams for their post-bye schedule) looks like it'll pay off now that Matt Barkley seems poised to enter the game.

This game could be a shut out.

In other news, Robbie Gould is BACK in the NFL. rinker needs to show him some love.

Fantasy pain is what Sinistar is going through tonight. Has Davante Adams exploding on his bench while Cameron Meredith does nothing in his active lineup.

FYI, I believe schwagger15 may wind up winning his 2nd straight matchup (after opening 0-5) thanks to Randall Cobb's strong performance tonight. We could be in the midst of an impressive rebound story. Don't believe anyone has opened 0-5 and made the No Quitters fantasy playoffs before.

UberTag

Man, it's like every decision I made this week was the wrong one.

Starting Coleman instead of Ingram. (And now he's hurt... clearly I jinxed him.)
Keeping the Rams defense instead of plucking the Packers who were rated higher because I wanted to be greedy and keep them for matchups two weeks from now.
Not bailing on Brate for Doyle when he clearly had a better QB throwing to him.
And... what ultimately did me in... riding the track record of Hopkins instead of grabbing Janikowski or Lambo. Hell, even staying put with Sturgis would have saved me.

Props to the Commish for capitalizing on my errors in judgment and pulling out the victory.

Also, pre-emptive props to acksman for (likely) running his unbeaten streak to 7 games. Crazymoogle is up next to try and thwart the bid for a perfect season.

acksman

What a weird year, but I think I say that every year. Nothing is consistent this year, except maybe Elliot now that he has his training wheels off. The Jay thing, I can't explain, but I did not see that happening.

This feels like a year that I could go undefeated and lose so hard the last game, I never feel comfortable with any lead in any of my leagues. I look at my team and wonder how the heck am I undefeated. I thought for sure this was my week to lose. GaG has more points statistics everything going for him. Heck I would straight up trade my entire team for his.

UberTag

What a weird year, but I think I say that every year. Nothing is consistent this year, except maybe Elliot now that he has his training wheels off. The Jay thing, I can't explain, but I did not see that happening.

This feels like a year that I could go undefeated and lose so hard the last game, I never feel comfortable with any lead in any of my leagues. I look at my team and wonder how the heck am I undefeated. I thought for sure this was my week to lose. GaG has more points statistics everything going for him. Heck I would straight up trade my entire team for his.
I somehow seem to feel better about my team on the weeks I lose than I do on the weeks I win.
It's rather disconcerting.

UberTag

Just a quick reminder post that the trade deadline in this league arrives on November 12th... just 2 1/2 short weeks from now and right before our Week 10 match-ups.

UberTag

This could be a close one today.

Some really good matchups across our league today at this point.
Curious to see whether Asiata can manage 47 yards tomorrow night for crazymoogle or whether your streak will manage to stretch to 8 consecutive wins.

This wound up as one of the craziest fantasy weeks for me in recent memory thanks to Montgomery's 11th hour sick out, Ingram getting benched, all of the Panthers going off EXCEPT Greg Olsen and all of these ridiculous overtime games. In truth, GCQuinton should have beaten me already except that I caught a break that he didn't use Riddick against me which would have been poetic as I dealt him Riddick a month ago. Of course, I managed to land Carr in that deal as well and I lucked out significantly thanks to him timing his 500+ yard, 3 TD effort for the matchup against his former owner.

That trade was always going to be play into this week's outcome. I just never expected Carr and Riddick to be the major elements of it that would.

acksman

Grats Crazymoogle good job! I threw everything I could at you this week with the byes and wavier wire hunting. To 2nd place I go.

UberTag

As thrilled as I was to see Brate's first TD get overturned, I was equally non-plussed by his garbage time score from Glennon towards the end of the game. It's never fun when you drop players that disappoint on your own roster only to watch them go off against you after an opponent nabs them.

Just a friendly reminder that the trade deadline is NEXT SATURDAY.

I've updated my trading block to showcase the following individuals...
- Devonta Freeman
- Mark Ingram
- A.J. Green
- Donte Moncrief

I'm also not opposed to trading Tevin Coleman or Ty Montgomery but deigned not to feature them on my block.

Feel free to throw offers out my way.
Don't convince yourself ahead of time that you can't land a specific player.
My perception of value for a lot of players doesn't necessarily jive with the consensus perception.
A lot of those Yahoo! projections are outright garbage as well, IMO.

UberTag

Glad to see my team showed up for the big matchup against rinker's top-scoring team this week.
Especially with Carr effectively unusable against the Broncos, AJ Green on bye and Tevin still on the shelf.

Glad to see my team showed up for the big matchup against rinker's top-scoring team this week.
Especially with Carr effectively unusable against the Broncos, AJ Green on bye and Tevin still on the shelf.

I'm still hanging around in NQ too, which is almost hard to believe. This bye week is a bloodbath.

UberTag

I'm shocked that it looks like I'm going to pull out a win this week... albeit a costly one with AJ Green lost for the season and Ingram concussed.

Dr.Horrible is making dominating this league look easy in his first season as he's cruising to a 10-1 record.
His only loss coming at the hands of GCQuinton's last-place Ember Island Players back in Week 2.

acksman

You know how your dating that girl who is way out of your league and you are trying to keep her from noticing, well that is my team.

Had a nice schedule this year that is catching up to me. Will see how long I last in the playoffs and if I can catch a break. My prediction outside of me winning would be Rinker or Uber. I think Rinker has the stronger team at this point in the season and best match-ups.

UberTag

You know how your dating that girl who is way out of your league and you are trying to keep her from noticing, well that is my team.

Had a nice schedule this year that is catching up to me. Will see how long I last in the playoffs and if I can catch a break. My prediction outside of me winning would be Rinker or Uber. I think Rinker has the stronger team at this point in the season and best match-ups.
There's no doubt in my mind that he does. Especially now that I've lost Green. I've also got zero FAAB clout against him or DrHorrible so they'll easily nab the big fantasy pickups in the playoffs unless I'm especially lucky with pre-emptive grabs.

Was at least able to make some important scoops off the wire today. Bagged Dalton for that Week 14 matchup against the Browns so I don't have to start Carr at Arrowhead on Thursday night. Also picked up Powell for the 49ers game - although that was more of a defensive play so he can't be used against me. Would have preferred to land Boyd over LaFell - but hey, maybe I'll get lucky and he'll step up. Who knows?

Seems like that Watkins pickup might work out for you as he's practicing today. Best of luck in our match-up this week!

UberTag

I'm making the NQ playoffs dammit. Somehow.
I'm fairly certain that you will. Those clutch pickups of Kelley and Rawls should pay dividends. The Bills have a nice fantasy playoff sched too should McCoy continue to struggle to stay healthy. If we square off during Money Week, I'm not taking anything for granted. You've won this league before, after all... and came close to doing it again just last year.

Top Bottom